Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Things you only learned late in life

Comments

• Options
    There is double sided tape and single sided tape AND what SHG said. All different things.

I finally learnt how to remember which comes first the X or Y axis about 6 months ago when my son explained that he was taught "along the corridor then up the stairs"
    Then where does the Z axis fit in that?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]There is double sided tape and single sided tape AND what SHG said. All different things.

I finally learnt how to remember which comes first the X or Y axis about 6 months ago when my son explained that he was taught "along the corridor then up the stairs"

You want to try 5 axis. That gets the brain functioning
    Or even axes?

Especially if you're juggling with them.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    For those who have retired do you wish you’d worked for longer or finished work earlier? / or just happy with how it all panned out?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cats prefer their water to be in a different spot from their food
  • Options
    For those who have retired do you wish you’d worked for longer or finished work earlier? / or just happy with how it all panned out?
    Madness meant I was medically retired at 48. At first I was really worried about money but soon adapted to living frugally. Finally able to spend all my hours looking after rescue hens. Living with madness can be tricky at times but I wouldn’t change anything. Sometimes things pan out in a way you wouldn’t expect but looking back it’s a good thing.
    "Madness"  :D fair play to you.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Volunteer work is not cheap!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Retired six months early but wished it had been six years
  • Options
    I just get more and more tired and sad and it feels like gravity is just pulling my soul into a pit.  I didn't know it would feel like that when I was younger and probably just as well as I might have done the job properly in my twenties.

Anyway, happy new year.
  • Options
    I just get more and more tired and sad and it feels like gravity is just pulling my soul into a pit.  I didn't know it would feel like that when I was younger and probably just as well as I might have done the job properly in my twenties.

Anyway, happy new year.
    Oops did I say that out loud?
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I love being retired - but I seem to have more to do now than when I was working. Its better for travelling too, spending more time away than the normal fortnight holidays. I’m off soon to South America for 2 months, adiós amigos!
    I have written a play, will write a book, have commenced redecorating the house - a room at a time, go on long walks with the dog and we are planning a driving holiday through Europe in May (for 7 weeks) with the dog (Covid willing). Doing it whilst we can, through France, Switzerland and Italy, including stop offs at Aosta, Lake Garda, Venice, San Marino, Bologna, The beach, Predappio, Turin.... I could go on. Retirement for us is doing things life is all about. Not doing nothing. 
  • Options

Anyway, happy new year.

Do you exercise and eat healthily and get a good amount of sleep mate?  Not a panacea for mental health problems but they can help especially as we get older.

Thanks RCT - as so often I know that these things can help but then it's too easy to collapse after work, eat crap and then lie awake at night worrying about
    a:  Is one of the service users going to die and if so will one of my team get the blame?
    b:  Do I need to pack my car and leave my relationship now while I still have some of my own teeth/ mobility / money?
    c:  Why is my leg itching?
  • Options

Anyway, happy new year.

Do you exercise and eat healthily and get a good amount of sleep mate?  Not a panacea for mental health problems but they can help especially as we get older.

Thanks RCT - as so often I know that these things can help but then it's too easy to collapse after work, eat crap and then lie awake at night worrying about
    a:  Is one of the service users going to die and if so will one of my team get the blame?
    b:  Do I need to pack my car and leave my relationship now while I still have some of my own teeth/ mobility / money?
    c:  Why is my leg itching?

As far as the lying awake at night bit goes I read before in a book called the Chimp Paradox I think that the brain is different between the hours of 11pm and 7am as it is in sleep mode and therefore problems always seem magnified.  It recommended to dismiss any  thoughts between those hours for that reason and deal with them outside of that window.

Easier said than done and whilst still getting the odd restless night in times of stress it has sorted my up til then regular sleeplessness out really well.  

Easy to fall into the unhealthy habits of booze, junk food and slumbering in front of the telly but if you can find the discipline to make healthy eating, exercise (even a walk round the block each night) and doing a productive habit, reading, musical instrument, learn something (even doing a jigsaw!) it can improve mental health greatly in my experience.

Recall you posting about your 20s on here before.  Please never get to that stage again mate no matter how bleak it seems as there is always potential to turn things round for the better whether you're 20, 40, or 80.

Thanks Mate, really appreciated.  You are dead right about disregarding anything you think in bed at night.  I always used to say to clients when I was doing face to face work (hah!) lying down is not an empowered position!