Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Things you only learned late in life

12346»

Comments

• Options
    robroy said:
    Lefty loosey righty tighty. 

Learned in 2018. 

Game changer 
    Apart from the odd thing that's done the other way round.  I can't think of anything off the top of my head except for a booby-trapped machine in a Harry Harrison novel but I know I've come across at least one.
  • Options
    robroy said:

Learned in 2018. 

Game changer 
    Apart from the odd thing that's done the other way round.  I can't think of anything off the top of my head except for a booby-trapped machine in a Harry Harrison novel but I know I've come across at least one.
    Gas bottles.
  • Options
    For those who have retired do you wish you’d worked for longer or finished work earlier? / or just happy with how it all panned out?
    Curious…what do people generally consider ‘early’ retirement? 

Is that pre 60 or pre 65/67 (whatever your state retirement age is). 

Personally to me it’s anything pre 60 but appreciate others may have a different  perspective. 
  • Options
    Retired 6 months ago after being self employed since I was 16, 42 years ago, the relief I get every day when I wake up that I am not responsible for other peoples lives anymore is fantastic.
    Wish I had done it sooner, I would not have done it at all if not for the lockdowns it opened my eyes, to life without work.
  • Options
    robroy said:

Learned in 2018. 

Game changer 
    Fan blades, I.e. desktop fans etc
  • Options
    robroy said:

Learned in 2018. 

Game changer 
    Left hand cycle pedals, so they can’t unthread while peddling forwards.
  • Options
    For those who have retired do you wish you’d worked for longer or finished work earlier? / or just happy with how it all panned out?
    Curious…what do people generally consider ‘early’ retirement? 

Is that pre 60 or pre 65/67 (whatever your state retirement age is). 

Personally to me it’s anything pre 60 but appreciate others may have a different  perspective. 
    I would say anything below 60 as well. That’s when I intend to retire….at least I did before having another kid at 44 😡
    I was going to retire last year at 55 but I have been able to work from home about 98% of the time since covid, so have kept working and am lucky I have rental incomes I can save as we have moved exclusively to Shrek's house. Looking to move further away from London, maybe Dorset, and buy somewhere overseas (and split time roughly 50/50). 
  • Options
    The grammar rules forced on us that we don't recognise in everyday speech can be ignored and it doesn't matter what the grammar police might think.  Language changes all the time.

The reason for most rules we don't naturally follow, and for example why it is wrong to use "who" as an object pronoun, is down to one man in the 18th century, Robert Lowth, who believed we should follow the old English rules derived from Latin.  This gave different pronouns for object, subject etc. which in old English were "who, whose, whom and wham" (wham used in "wham did you give my book").  In his day people had already dropped wham long ago and whom was on its way out and for him represented decay of the English language.

So if we want to be true to the original self-appointed grammar policeman it is wrong, and bad grammar to say "to whom did you give your love away last Christmas" you must say "wham did you give your love away last Christmas".  Everyone will understand you - it's perfect grammar.

And if I want to start a sentence with a conjunction I will.
  • Options
    #Whamaggedon
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    #Whamaggedon
    I made it to midday on the 1st of December.  :(
  • Options
    Stig said:
    #Whamaggedon
    I made it to midday on the 1st of December.  :(
    I was very pleased to stay the course. Self imposed isolation has got its benefits ;)
  • Options
    That I can't eat a small bucket full of prawn cocktail to myself