Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Options
    On sky sports for the match starting today. 

Should be a good one. Decent squad available. I'm hoping we play Moriarty even though it is early April.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I've previously questioned Tom Curran's allegiance to Surrey but it was pointed out that this has been due to the number of injuries he's suffered. A couple of weeks ago he announced that he wasn't going to be playing in the CC because he wants to concentrate on white ball (I might be wrong but I think that he only played 3 CC matches in total in the previous 4 seasons) but it now transpires that he is returning from the PSL due to a stress factor of the lumbar spine sustained playing for Islamabad United with Surrey confirming that he will "be out for a period of time while he recovers and undergoes rehabilitation". He sustained a similar injury while playing in the Big Bash last year and missed most of Surrey's season as a result (played 2 CC and 2 Vitality Blast matches). 

Since September 2019 I make it that Curran has played 109 games around the world:

Surrey CC - 2
    Surrey Vitality Blast - 6
    England - 37
    Mzansi Super League - 6
    Big Bash - 18
    IPL - 8
    The Hundred - 16
    Dubai International League - 11
    Pakistan Super League - 5

Yes Curran has played 37 games for England in that three and a half years but just 8 matches for Surrey as opposed to 64 games for other teams combined. In declaring that he wants to play white ball only he has, effectively, made himself available for the Vitality Blast only. And he might not even be fit for that given that the competition starts in May - with Surrey having to pay for his rehab as he isn't centrally contracted. And this injury occurred following 16 games in the DIL and the PSL in the space of 8 weeks. 

Is Curran an example of a modern day cricketer wanting all of his cake and his county suffering as a result? Or has he just been incredibly unlucky and are you happy for him to continue to be contracted to Surrey for a player that has only made himself available for a couple of games a season, on average, in the last few years? 

Missed your post at the time and my initial reaction to the news was similar to yours. But then I read an interview with him and he emphasised 2 points:

1) this is on medical advice after multiple stress fractures in a couple of years. I think hes having/had another round of surgery which would rule him out of the early part of the season anyway. And then then medical advice beyond that is minimal travelling and to be eased back into cricket through the white ball game as we have seen England do with Jofra recently. Doubt he will make any/many England squads and so likely that the blast qnd the Hundred will be his only cricket.

2) this is for 1 year only. He emphasised his commitment to Surrey in all formats (I assume this doesn't include the 50 over comp) in the future. Batty as also said he is a key part of our medium term plans in all formats. He is without a doubt a top class county player in all formats and suits the way Batts likes to set his sides up - packed full of bowling options who can all contribute with the bat (TC score a hundred in his one championship outing last year).
  • Options
    Burns, with hair so long I would suggest that there is every chance that it will blow in his face at an inopportune time, out caught behind. Pope takes Bazball to the crease and charges the bowler first ball. These are not conditions that any batsman will enjoy.
  • Options
    Umpire Neil Mallender is wrapped up to the extent that all one can more or less see of his body are his eyes!
  • Options
    I have just seen the spectator ! 
  • Options
    I would have preferred Moriarty to Cam Steel but we know Batty only likes spinners who can bat even if their batting and bowling isnt all that.

I know Pope bats 3 in Bazball but an early april game in Manchester is a whole different matter and doesnt suit his game or bazball. I would have preferred Patel at 3 (who spent all last season opening pretty successfully) and or Smith who Surrey see as a future number 3 bat that would allow Pope to make the best of the conditions and ball and the weather which has got significantly better after the first session. Imagine having Pope and Foakes in now as things have got easier.
  • Options
    I would have preferred Moriarty to Cam Steel but we know Batty only likes spinners who can bat even if their batting and bowling isnt all that.

I know Pope bats 3 in Bazball but an early april game in Manchester is a whole different matter and doesnt suit his game or bazball. I would have preferred Patel at 3 (who spent all last season opening pretty successfully) and or Smith who Surrey see as a future number 3 bat that would allow Pope to make the best of the conditions and ball and the weather which has got significantly better after the first session. Imagine having Pope and Foakes in now as things have got easier.
    I agree with you and I honestly think Pope's best position is at 4.
    But as Root refuses to bat at 3 for England Pope has the job.
    I think because of that Surrey will from now on bat Pope at 3 even though he has hardly ever done so in the past.
  • Options

Cam Steele justified his place in the team today. 340-7 at close of play a great recovery.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Cam Steele justified his place in the team today. 340-7 at close of play a great recovery.
    He trialled for Kent a few years ago before he was picked up. He joins a list including Steve Smith of cricketers who were deemed as not being good enough for Kent , but got contracts elsewhere. 
  • Options
    Parkinson wishing that Lancs had opted for an all seam attack as his first bowling stint ends with him taking the final wicket of the innings. For 103 runs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think because of that Surrey will from now on bat Pope at 3 even though he has hardly ever done so in the past.
    I've come round to the idea of him doing it for England.it works well and seems to suit his game. But as I said - April, Manchester whole different game. And as we saw with pitches and balls last season first 30 overs ball does loads, after that does nothing. Doesn't suit his game in those conditions. It's hardly gonna get the best out of him.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Well I certainly need to eat my hat about his batting. Let's see how his bowling does over the season. Wasn't convinced last season.
  • Options

I've come round to the idea of him doing it for England.it works well and seems to suit his game. But as I said - April, Manchester whole different game. And as we saw with pitches and balls last season first 30 overs ball does loads, after that does nothing. Doesn't suit his game in those conditions. It's hardly gonna get the best out of him.
    It is a position that he needs to grow into. I advocated a long time ago that he should not have been batting so low for Surrey or England because he is so technically sound. But the issue is that he has had to do so at the highest level in the game rather than doing so for his county first as a stepping stone. Surrey's strength has been England's weakness in that respect.

That said, the lad has averaged 41.63 batting at 3 for England which is highly commendable given his age and experience especially when compared to 32.29 when batting elsewhere. The only times I have had an issue with Pope at 3 is when he comes to the crease thinking that he has to dominate from the very first ball (though, equally, there were signs of not knowing what his role was when he batted at 6/7 where he averaged just 28.48). It just becomes frenetic and invariably ends up with his downfall simply because he hasn't got the pace or bounce of the wicket before he has done so. I've heard that McCullum sends the players out with "hit the first ball for six" in their ears. I'm sure what he means by that is to express themselves in the most positive of ways but not, necessarily, to do so literally from the very first ball because, put simply, the ball might not be there to do that. Like most of England's batting line up, once in, they can be totally destructive but earn the right first. Be that one over, two overs or ten overs. It's all about what gets your mindset to that place where you have the confidence to dominate to the best of your ability. 
  • Options
    Just in case some of you Slurreys don't follow him, here's another from Mark Church on Twitter

• Options
    Not my county, but you have to have massive respect for someone like Stewie, and his dedication to his county after a top international career.
  • Options
    Not my county, but you have to have massive respect for someone like Stewie, and his dedication to his county after a top international career.
    Yep.
    We are lucky to have him.
  • Options
    Yep.
    We are lucky to have him.
    As a modern day contrast, while Yorkshire were playing a crucial relegation match last September, Joe Root was playing Pro-Am golf with Piers Morgan.
  • Options
    I've previously questioned Tom Curran's allegiance to Surrey but it was pointed out that this has been due to the number of injuries he's suffered. A couple of weeks ago he announced that he wasn't going to be playing in the CC because he wants to concentrate on white ball (I might be wrong but I think that he only played 3 CC matches in total in the previous 4 seasons) but it now transpires that he is returning from the PSL due to a stress factor of the lumbar spine sustained playing for Islamabad United with Surrey confirming that he will "be out for a period of time while he recovers and undergoes rehabilitation". He sustained a similar injury while playing in the Big Bash last year and missed most of Surrey's season as a result (played 2 CC and 2 Vitality Blast matches). 

Since September 2019 I make it that Curran has played 109 games around the world:

Surrey CC - 2
    Surrey Vitality Blast - 6
    England - 37
    Mzansi Super League - 6
    Big Bash - 18
    IPL - 8
    The Hundred - 16
    Dubai International League - 11
    Pakistan Super League - 5

Yes Curran has played 37 games for England in that three and a half years but just 8 matches for Surrey as opposed to 64 games for other teams combined. In declaring that he wants to play white ball only he has, effectively, made himself available for the Vitality Blast only. And he might not even be fit for that given that the competition starts in May - with Surrey having to pay for his rehab as he isn't centrally contracted. And this injury occurred following 16 games in the DIL and the PSL in the space of 8 weeks. 

Is Curran an example of a modern day cricketer wanting all of his cake and his county suffering as a result? Or has he just been incredibly unlucky and are you happy for him to continue to be contracted to Surrey for a player that has only made himself available for a couple of games a season, on average, in the last few years? 

Missed your post at the time and my initial reaction to the news was similar to yours. But then I read an interview with him and he emphasised 2 points:

1) this is on medical advice after multiple stress fractures in a couple of years. I think hes having/had another round of surgery which would rule him out of the early part of the season anyway. And then then medical advice beyond that is minimal travelling and to be eased back into cricket through the white ball game as we have seen England do with Jofra recently. Doubt he will make any/many England squads and so likely that the blast qnd the Hundred will be his only cricket.

2) this is for 1 year only. He emphasised his commitment to Surrey in all formats (I assume this doesn't include the 50 over comp) in the future. Batty as also said he is a key part of our medium term plans in all formats. He is without a doubt a top class county player in all formats and suits the way Batts likes to set his sides up - packed full of bowling options who can all contribute with the bat (TC score a hundred in his one championship outing last year).
    Alec Stewart has just been on Sky talking about the changing face of players' contracts. Tom Curran's name was raised, as was that of Laurie Evans, where the indications are that, instead of 12 month contracts, these players are likely to be offered 6 month contracts simply because of the wasted resource that is spent looking after these players when they aren't playing for them i.e. physio, coaches, facilities etc. He wasn't talking about all the players but those who have chosen to go just down the white ball route. It seems that he does not see Curran as a red ball player perhaps because Surrey now recognises that his body can't cope with what that entails. He also said that these players will have the use of their medical team when with the County but will have to provide their own physio, S & C trainer etc when not with them - although their franchises will clearly provide that when they are with them. 

Stewart also had a real dig about scheduling and specifically the cricket that is played in August. We are all singing from the same hymn book in that respect but the discussion with Atherton and Ward moved to talk about 2nd XI and the fact that there is none in August when it's the best time to play red ball. Instead, the 2nd XI matches mirror the 1s in April/May (on out grounds too where the wickets will not be as good) and then straight to playing T20. We all know what the solution to that one is!

• Options
    I think Stewart was being diplomatic in his interview. 
    I'd love to hear what he really thinks off record. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I read from what he said that he thinks that the Counties are being shafted every which way - by the ECB through England call ups, The Hundred and the other franchises and that some players won't be able to afford themselves of the same sort of contracts that they once might have done and that if they are on six months contracts and they get injured, need rehab or coaching they will have to pay for it themselves.  
  • Options
    I read from what he said that he thinks that the Counties are being shafted every which way - by the ECB through England call ups, The Hundred and the other franchises and that some players won't be able to afford themselves of the same sort of contracts that they once might have done and that if they are on six months contracts and they get injured, need rehab or coaching they will have to pay for it themselves.  
    Yep that's how I understood it.
    But I think he was holding back from really having a go at what a shit show it all is.
  • Options
    Lazarus Surrey thread!!
  • Options
    Saving ourselves for Saturday. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
     for Surrey this week during their demolition of Somerset .. 2 batsmen, Latham and Jacks both out for 99, very unusual
  • Options
     Alec Stewart is to leave his role as Surrey director of cricket at the end of 2024.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/68635147
  • Options
    Alec's wife has been fighting cancer for the last decade and he wants to spend more time with her and his family. Notwithstanding that, the job has become an absolute nightmare so far as contracts and continuity is concerned with so many other competitions and international series clashing with our own domestic programme. I wish him well. 
  • Options
    It is very understandablevthat he is doing so. Hechascalready taken time out to be with his wife and I can well understand he wants to make that long term.
    He has done a great job for Surrey, with his contacts we have been privileged to watch some great overseas plays in the last few years.
    Also he has been part of the reason we have won the County Championship for tge last two seasons.
    I wish his wife and him all the best. 
  • Options
    A brilliant servant to Surrey, as a player and as a coach. Lets hope his successor is far worse  :D
  • Options
    Gonna be tough to replace - who is gonna tap up players from other counties now ?