Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Options
    Wonderful couple of days for the nighty rey
  • Options
    Wonderful couple of days for the nighty rey
    Indeed. 
    Shame the  same can't be said for our nearest and dearest. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Genuinely the worst pace attack on the county circuit? 
    Written before Jordan Clark turned into Glenn McGrath obviously 
  • Options
    Don’t judge a game until both teams have completed their innings.....
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Genuinely the worst pace attack on the county circuit? 
    Written before Jordan Clark turned into Glenn McGrath obviously 
    His form has surprised even me. Genuinely thought we had signed him to be 4th choice allrounder for the odd occasion when both Sm and Tom were missing and Rikki Clarke was injured.
  • Options
    Yeah, he was your best seamer in all the preceeding games too. Weird. Been watching a lot of Darren Stevens? 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Yeah, he was your best seamer in all the preceeding games too. Weird. Been watching a lot of Darren Stevens? 
    Other than Topley who it seems is only going to play every other game to look after his body. 

Clark has had some decent scores with the bat too. Turning into a very useful player.
  • Options
    I have posted this in the Surrey thread because that is where he spent most of his career - Stuart Meaker has announced his retirement. He has left a classy message. Wish him all the best for the future:

• Options
    Good read. 
    Thanks for posting 
  • Options
    Shame that. He's not that old and his body doesn't seem to be the main reason (though he has had injury issues throughout his career). He could just never seem to recreate his best form. 

He had done some really positive interviews ahead of this season about how he was back to being able to swing the ball both ways with pace. Seems it didn't go as planned. 

Always a huge fan of Meaks and don't believe he was treated that well by surrey. When at his best he was unplayable, useful lower order bat and incredible out on the boundary in the field.  

As he says a lot fo what could have beens but a player I always enjoyed watching.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree..that was a real classy message..good luck to the guy for the rest of his career, it all seemed genuinely heartfelt and sincere..you dt see such eloquence from professional footballers when they retire ..mind you not many of the latter are educated at cranleigh 
  • Options
    Not a single comment on Surrey's season for five months. This thread has become Charlton Life's equivalent of Surrey's trophy cabinet this season - a complete and utter Void!
  • Options
    Some of us have Jobs and busy lives.
  • Options
    Actually comparisons can be drawn with cafc...they both have squads that are lesser than the sum of their parts .

Whereas Kent always seem to make the best of what they have got like the days of curbs especially in the early years 

Maybe they'll sign Darren Stevens now rikki Clarke is retiring. 
  • Options
    Some of us have Jobs and busy lives.
    It's great that you're now gainfully employed Canters because your comments over the course of previous seasons would suggest that you were unemployed at that time. Still, just to make you feel a bit better, might I refer you to this thread and in particular the opening post:

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/43270/super-surrey/p1

• Options
    Not often that Surrey are outbid by anyone - Solanki was only appointed six months or so ago wasn't he?

• Options
    Thorpe to return, it was suggested he seemed quite demob happy?
  • Options
    Not disappointed with Solanki's decision. I always thought he was a stopgap that lasted a season longer than expected. Definitely underachieved but with the squad interruprions it would have been a difficult job for anyone.
  • Options
    Hello guys,
    As you will have seen on a previous thread, I am moving to Brasil.
    Since around '81 I started to watch the mighty Surrey and have around 300 programmes/scorecards from games I have attended.  I will not be taking these with me and am very keen for them to go to a good home.  Would anybody be interested?  I am not looking for any money.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    It's t20 time again. What 11 would you play in the first match?

I've been working on the assumption that Roy is still unavailable. Pope & Foakes with England. McKerr and TC injured (any more?). Patel to miss the first couple with the County select X1 but would have him in the squad once he's back.

Jacks
    Geddes
    Evans
    S. Curran
    Smith (w)
    Narine
    Pollard
    Overton
    Jordan
    Topley
    Moriarty

Rest of squad. Burns, Patel(when back), Steel, Clark, Atkinson, Worrall.

Looks probably a batsman short although lots of allrounders and Sam has batted in the top 3 in the IPL so no issue shoving him up the order.

Suspect they will try and squeeze Burns in (I'd really rather not in this format) and hopefully we move on from Amla in T20.

Edit. Pollard not available for the first match. Perhaps Burns or Steel to come in for him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw a very tanned Jason Roy at the Oval during the last 4 day game.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Yet to play any cricket of any kind yet this year tho. I don't believe he is even in training yet so would be shocked (but very happy) if he played.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Yet to play any cricket of any kind yet this year tho. I don't believe he is even in training yet so would be shocked (but very happy) if he played.
    Played today in a very strong side for Surrey albeit against poor opposition in the shape of the  SLCD and scored 11 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Played today in a very strong side for Surrey albeit against poor opposition in the shape of the  SLCD and scored 11 
    I watched this on the surrey stream. He looked decent but a little out of nick.

I'm sure it'll come back in time. If nothing else great to see him back in a Surrey shirt and hope he comes back into the game fresh and smashs it!
  • Options
    The mighty Rey racked up 450 today, the day was complete meeting a legend here.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Is he tall or are you even shorter than legend suggests?
  • Options
    Name him.
  • Options
    Name him.
    Pat Pocock?
  • Options
    Name him.
    Pat Pocock?
    Spot on.
  • Options
    I've previously questioned Tom Curran's allegiance to Surrey but it was pointed out that this has been due to the number of injuries he's suffered. A couple of weeks ago he announced that he wasn't going to be playing in the CC because he wants to concentrate on white ball (I might be wrong but I think that he only played 3 CC matches in total in the previous 4 seasons) but it now transpires that he is returning from the PSL due to a stress factor of the lumbar spine sustained playing for Islamabad United with Surrey confirming that he will "be out for a period of time while he recovers and undergoes rehabilitation". He sustained a similar injury while playing in the Big Bash last year and missed most of Surrey's season as a result (played 2 CC and 2 Vitality Blast matches). 

Since September 2019 I make it that Curran has played 109 games around the world:

Surrey CC - 2
    Surrey Vitality Blast - 6
    England - 37
    Mzansi Super League - 6
    Big Bash - 18
    IPL - 8
    The Hundred - 16
    Dubai International League - 11
    Pakistan Super League - 5

Yes Curran has played 37 games for England in that three and a half years but just 8 matches for Surrey as opposed to 64 games for other teams combined. In declaring that he wants to play white ball only he has, effectively, made himself available for the Vitality Blast only. And he might not even be fit for that given that the competition starts in May - with Surrey having to pay for his rehab as he isn't centrally contracted. And this injury occurred following 16 games in the DIL and the PSL in the space of 8 weeks. 

Is Curran an example of a modern day cricketer wanting all of his cake and his county suffering as a result? Or has he just been incredibly unlucky and are you happy for him to continue to be contracted to Surrey for a player that has only made himself available for a couple of games a season, on average, in the last few years?