Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Options
    Cheers for posting this Canters much appreciated. 
    I think with the players we have for next season we will beat Kent every time we play them.
  • Options
    This is not a criticism but a reflection of the differences between those Counties that have money and those that don't - the above squad numbers 28. Kent have a squad of 19 of which Blake has a white ball contract only. Not only will Crawley and Billings have England commitments but, for the duration of The Hundred, they will lose Billings, Crawley, Blake and Denly. That will leave them with just 15 to pick from. That 15 will include 7 seamers and 3 spinners. 
  • Options
    This is not a criticism but a reflection of the differences between those Counties that have money and those that don't - the above squad numbers 28. Kent have a squad of 19 of which Blake has a white ball contract only. Not only will Crawley and Billings have England commitments but, for the duration of The Hundred, they will lose Billings, Crawley, Blake and Denly. That will leave them with just 15 to pick from. That 15 will include 7 seamers and 3 spinners. 
    Absolutely understand what you are saying and we definitely pay more than Kent do so I wouldn't argue that we are a "have".

But just to temper it. Of that 28 - 18 are from the academy (3 have never made a first team appearance and 1 has made only 2). 

In terms of availability We have 3/4 that will get test call ups and potentially 4 more who will play the England one day games. 3 in the IPL and I read that we are set to lose 12 or 13 to the 100 compared to your 4.

Get a life @cantersaddick
    Its lockdown. What the fuck else is there to do!
  • Options
    Sussex showing Surrey how to bat in a today's friendly. 107 for 1 at lunch.

I predict 166 all out.
  • Options
    Scorecard here.

2 day friendly. As far as I can work out we are playing 12 players in the match

Stoneman (C)
    Patel
    Evans
    Smith (WK)
    Jacks
    Clark
    Clarke
    Overton
    Atkinson
    Plunkett
    Dunn
    Moriarty

Pretty much everyone who remains in the squad who hasn't been involved in internationals/playing abroad. A bit short of batting but that sums up our squad really. On last years selection I imagine Overton and Clark will play as allrounders/batsmen at times.

Interesting that Stoneman is captain give he captained us for the first match of the BWT last year then asked to not captain and proceeded to have such a dreadful year (averaging single figures) that he was dropped before the end of the season.
  • Options
    Scorecard here.

Stoneman (C)
    Patel
    Evans
    Smith (WK)
    Jacks
    Clark
    Clarke
    Overton
    Atkinson
    Plunkett
    Dunn
    Moriarty

Pretty much everyone who remains in the squad who hasn't been involved in internationals/playing abroad. A bit short of batting but that sums up our squad really. On last years selection I imagine Overton and Clark will play as allrounders/batsmen at times.

Interesting that Stoneman is captain give he captained us for the first match of the BWT last year then asked to not captain and proceeded to have such a dreadful year (averaging single figures) that he was dropped before the end of the season.
    I think you're right. Sussex named 12 for the game. The Sussex tail starts after the second wicket.
  • Options
    Scorecard here.

Stoneman (C)
    Patel
    Evans
    Smith (WK)
    Jacks
    Clark
    Clarke
    Overton
    Atkinson
    Plunkett
    Dunn
    Moriarty

I think you're right. Sussex named 12 for the game. The Sussex tail starts after the second wicket.
    Was hoping Meaker would get a go for them. Hes a bowler I really rate but injuries really messed up his career. Not a good sign that hes not in their 12. Especially given Jordan/Archer aren't around, it suggests hes a long way down the pecking order.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Scorecard here.

Stoneman (C)
    Patel
    Evans
    Smith (WK)
    Jacks
    Clark
    Clarke
    Overton
    Atkinson
    Plunkett
    Dunn
    Moriarty

Was hoping Meaker would get a go for them. Hes a bowler I really rate but injuries really messed up his career. Not a good sign that hes not in their 12. Especially given Jordan/Archer aren't around, it suggests hes a long way down the pecking order.
    Not sure why Meaker isn't playing. He was a bit of a damp squib last season. He was steadyish but rarely took wickets. Sussex are on a mission to bring on their youngsters. If it works, they will have a good team in two or three years time. They have also cleared two or three that are OK but no better than that.
  • Options
    Classic Surrey so far today. After being hit for 382-4 yesterday we are currently 36-3 (of which 9 is extras!)

Stoneman out for 8, Patel a 3 ball duck and Evans 4. Smith still there on 15.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    48 for 5 now. Embarrassing 
  • Options
    Sussex: 382 for 5 declared
    Surrey: 48 for 6

Eric Clapton, Dame Julie Andrews, Michael Aspel, Sir David Attenborough, your boys are taking one hell of a beating
    We only took 4 wickets yesterday. Ben Brown retired at 57. 
  • Options

Eric Clapton, Dame Julie Andrews, Michael Aspel, Sir David Attenborough, your boys are taking one hell of a beating
    It's OK, we'll let you have that one.
  • Options

It's OK, we'll let you have that one.
    We dont deserve it.
  • Options
    I suspect this is the high point of Sussex's season.
  • Options
    And hope its the low point in ours....
  • Options
    Stoneman has come back in. Hes on the scorecard as player A. 
  • Options
    Stoneman has come back in. Hes on the scorecard as player A. 
    Blimey, cheating as well now. I wondered who Player A was. He should be OK though, we've got a part-time bowler and an 11-year old on now.

It says there are 440.3 overs to play. I've heard of day/night games, but that sounds like day/night/day/night/day/night to me.
  • Options
    I think Player B was Patel. He's followed his duck first time round with 1 this time round. Not a great sign. He was poor last season and starting to look like hes not fulfiling the promise he showed in 2018 or 2019.

Player C is Lawrie Evans 2nd go at it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Player B was Patel. He's followed his duck first time round with 1 this time round. Not a great sign. He was poor last season and starting to look like hes not fulfiling the promise he showed in 2018 or 2019.

Player C is Lawrie Evans 2nd go at it.
    Laurie Evans didn’t make the Sussex red ball team except on a handful of occasions. I can’t imagine he would get anywhere near Surrey’s County Championship side. However, he’s a very good T20 player and has had some good days in one dayers.
  • Options
    Happy first day of the season all.

Squad announcement here:

Rikki Clarke not match fit after an injury ruled him out the pre season game. Roach not out of quarantine in time for this game. Great to see Topley in a red ball squad. In the absence of Roach I'd play him as he offers something different though Stewart was very clear in an interview last week we need to look after his body and he wont play back to back games. With 4 other bowlers hopefully his workload won't be too high.

Frustrating that our 2 most promising bowlers are spinners that don't bat. In April, on county pitches you just don't need 2 spinners. You barely need one, its quite possible we could see Jacks come in as a batsman at 7 and turn his arm over with his part time spin. I think they will play Virdi. I hope he has learnt a lot from his time with England and has a stormer if a season. Moriarty will play the White ball stuff and if we ever need 2 spinners.

I reckon:

Burns c
    Stoneman
    Amla
    Pope
    Foakes wk
    Smith
    Clark
    Overton
    Atkinson
    Topley
    Virdi
  • Options
    Well I guessed the side right! There is a stream on the surrey twitter (and website) its being provided by Glous so isn't as good as our usual streams but its not bad. We lost the toss and so are batting first. Yeah I dont get it either. First match of the season and the captain decides he wants to bowl. Feel sorry for the Glous bowlers! What happened to "bat first and if in doubt definitely bat".
  • Options
    Surrey 104 for 3
    Fifty up for Anla
  • Options
    6 down now 
  • Options
    Why do I even like this sport! Such a steaming pile of shit!
  • Options
    It’s not the sport, it’s the team.
  • Options
    Genuinely the worst pace attack on the county circuit? 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Genuinely the worst pace attack on the county circuit? 
    Oh, I don’t know. 
  • Options
    No Noise from the Hampshire boys.....