Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-Match Thread : Cambridge United vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 18th March 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off

edited March 2023 in General Charlton
Charlton played perhaps the best football of their season in the first half, relegating bottom-of-the-league Cambridge to spectators and teaching them a lesson. The first goal came from a tap in from young Leaburn on 14 minutes and was followed up by another from Jes Rak-Sakyi on 28 minutes. Charlton looked rampant and Cambridge looked thoroughly deflated. 

Leaburn was taken off at halftime, replaced by even young Kanu, possibly due to a knock he suffered late in the first half. His battering play up front was missed, allowing Cambridge to push higher and gain a foothold in the game. Some capable defending and a fantastic save down low to his left from Maynard-Brewer kept Cambridge at bay, until on 72 minutes they found a breakthrough. For ten or fifteen minutes, Cambridge had the momentum and renewed intent. Fortunately, we had enough to hold on and secure all three points. One other incident of note, was a cast iron penalty shout, as Daniel Kanu was held down from challenging for the incoming cross, was ignored completely by the ref, but buy that time, most of Cambridge’s steam had run out and the Addicks were able to settle the game down and see it out. The second half wobbles are disappointing, but earlier in the season we would have completed folded; so that’s progress!

Back-to-back victories give the Addicks a bit of momentum going into the remaining part of the season.

Cambridge 1 Charlton 2

Over to you.

Comments

• Well played Charlton. 
    We dominated the first half & played well 2nd half, apart from the goal, which we should have defended better.
    I'm very happy, a win's a win. 
  • A win a win .. first half never seen such a one sided game so you knew Cambridge would be better .. change of system and the loss of Leaburn seem to change the whole game .

but what was pleasing is we stayed strong and actually last 8/10 mins we managed the game very well with Payne and Fraser showing all their experience..
    Should have had a pen .. how it’s not given is beyond me .. 

• Bless him, Jez looking more comfortable talking to camera there.
  • Leuth said:
    What a difference a functional centre forward makes. Take that away and it all falls apart completely. Today was a graphic demonstration of this. Stockley and to a much lesser extent Bonne have fucked our entire season
    This cannot be stressed enough. We need a specific type of CF to play our 4-3-3. We haven't had it for most of the season. 

I'd add in our CB pairing as well, albeit to a lesser degree. 

• Well done lads 👍🏻
    Notice Aaron Henry isnt there again ;)
  • exact same line up again for wycombe!
  • Only listened to game, but have to agree I thought, from what I heard, that Hector and Innis were immense today. Hector I would defo sign up again for next season. Fraser sounded he was involved a lot, and Clare played his part. JRS scores again and Miles...well he is just Miles!
    Lost our way in 2nd half, but kept hold of the 3 points.....7 points out of 9.....I'll take that, in what has been a 'poxy' poor season.
  • Sponsored links:

• 13 points off bottom four, 16 off playoffs
  • Was Bonne's 4-minutes the highlight?
  • Well played lads

Strange pre season type atmosphere at the ground but not unexpected 

Deserved win
  • At HT a week ago, I said we needed 7 points from the week, and we did it. To take away any small relegation worries, and to set us up for a positive end to the season.

P.s, is it wrong to be pleased we let in a late goal, because I forecast 2-1  :D
  • Only listened to game, but have to agree I thought, from what I heard, that Hector and Innis were immense today. Hector I would defo sign up again for next season. Fraser sounded he was involved a lot, and Clare played his part. JRS scores again and Miles...well he is just Miles!
    Lost our way in 2nd half, but kept hold of the 3 points.....7 points out of 9.....I'll take that, in what has been a 'poxy' poor season.
    Hector was good but wouldn't say Inniss was immense. He was nearest to the man that headed down for their goal and same for the header before that where AMB made a good save. No backheels or fancy flicks though so that was jolly nice. 
  • Sponsored links:

• At HT a week ago, I said we needed 7 points from the week, and we did it. To take away any small relegation worries, and to set us up for a positive end to the season.

P.s, is it wrong to be pleased we let in a late goal, because I forecast 2-1  :D
    Absolutely wrong. Take a red flag.
  • Jonniesta said:
    Hate to tell you all, but Plymouth winning today means we can't achieve automatic promotion this season... 
    Ah well, we'll just have to rely on our momentum from our charge up the table to carry us to success in the play-offs then 🤪

• Stewart said:
    Up to 11th. Have that Exeter 
    Unfortunately looking at the table 11th is as high as we will finish this season even if we have a good run in.
  • ross1 said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Was Bonne's 4-minutes the highlight?
    Well, he was not off side 😂
    Only because he was too slow to get in an offside position 
  • Shrewsbury can be over taken, 7 point gap but we have them to play at home . Totally  get your point though :-)
  • The positive thing is that usually this season we have that spell of being dominant, don't score and then get done by a team we should be beating. Good that we took our chances during our spell but it would be nice to see an entire performance on a regular basis
  • Stewart said:
    Up to 11th. Have that Exeter 
    Unfortunately looking at the table 11th is as high as we will finish this season even if we have a good run in.
    Progress. In 10 years we will get automatic promotion 
  • Talal said:
    Only listened to game, but have to agree I thought, from what I heard, that Hector and Innis were immense today. Hector I would defo sign up again for next season. Fraser sounded he was involved a lot, and Clare played his part. JRS scores again and Miles...well he is just Miles!
    Hector was good but wouldn't say Inniss was immense. He was nearest to the man that headed down for their goal and same for the header before that where AMB made a good save. No backheels or fancy flicks though so that was jolly nice. 
    The flick on for the goal was from a player Thomas was initially marking...I'd be more concerned about how the scorer got into space anyway!