Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread : Cambridge United vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 18th March 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Options
    I think Kanu is being played in well by Holden and I have a lot of faith in the lad and expect to see the benefits soon. On another positive note, it you look at the first halves of our last two games, it is as well as we have played for a very long time. OK, the second halves were not up to the same level but Holden is clearly moving us in the right direction and importantly the players are reacting to him.
    Like Kanu .. like all good strikers he plays right on the shoulder of the defender ( Lyle Taylor ) he just needs to learn to hold his ground for another 10 seconds because in a one to one he will beat 9/10 defenders … 
  • Options
    At HT a week ago, I said we needed 7 points from the week, and we did it. To take away any small relegation worries, and to set us up for a positive end to the season.

P.s, is it wrong to be pleased we let in a late goal, because I forecast 2-1  :D
    That depends on how much you had on it.
  • Options
    I think Kanu is being played in well by Holden and I have a lot of faith in the lad and expect to see the benefits soon. On another positive note, it you look at the first halves of our last two games, it is as well as we have played for a very long time. OK, the second halves were not up to the same level but Holden is clearly moving us in the right direction and importantly the players are reacting to him.
    Like Kanu .. like all good strikers he plays right on the shoulder of the defender ( Lyle Taylor ) he just needs to learn to hold his ground for another 10 seconds because in a one to one he will beat 9/10 defenders … 
    Agree with the first line, but he could better than Taylor, and learn a bit by watching the master Darren Bent goals when it comes to playing off the shoulder...
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    LouisMend said:
    Journo's do my head in sometimes. 

"Leaburn was replaced by starlet Kanu"

Starlet ?????  Wtf  ??

The kids done nothing. Scored for the reserves but is a kid playing a mans game and looks well out of his depth. He is certainly no Shelvey or Gomez. 

So please dont try to idolise him too soon. 
    I bet you hate it when journalists misquote people too. It says “academy starlet”. He’s scored 60+ goals in two seasons for the academy.
    Absolutely schooled (from Cambridge).

Look forward to the podcast @LouisMend, think this deserves a mention!
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I suppose yesterdays result puts us firmly in contention for the Dalkon Shield? ;)

That will test a few memory cells.
  • Options
    That 'England's Finest' banner looks like something the Palace Ultras would stick up.

It looks like a deep sea diving club poster.

It's quite frankly naff and embarrassing. Could we not please start plastering crap banners like this about? What's wrong with the badge, Killer, Mendonca, The Valley or anything that's really has some significance Charlton Athletic? 
    Have you seen tattoos people permanently put on their bodies?
    The design choices of a lot of the population aren’t even as splendid to be called naff.
  • Options
    Really hoping the Hector / Innis partnership can flourish
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    LouisMend said:
    Journo's do my head in sometimes. 

"Leaburn was replaced by starlet Kanu"

Starlet ?????  Wtf  ??

The kids done nothing. Scored for the reserves but is a kid playing a mans game and looks well out of his depth. He is certainly no Shelvey or Gomez. 

So please dont try to idolise him too soon. 
    I bet you hate it when journalists misquote people too. It says “academy starlet”. He’s scored 60+ goals in two seasons for the academy.
    Oops, my bad. Sorry  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doesn’t feel a post match thread without a @Blucher or @Fanny Fanackapan write up 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Didn’t like the view in the away stand at the Abbey. 
    By the time the ball was up the far end it seemed a very long way away because of the distance between than the stand and the nearest goal. 
    And those stewards wandering around right in our eyeline were really distracting. 

Obviously not the Cambridge University challenge team.
    Maybe the Cambridge University Neanderthal Team?

• Options
    Pleased for the travelling fans, pleased for the team and manager but just can't get excited - season's over - bed some youngster's like kanu in and hopefully get a decent new owner - they're about the only 2 things that really matter for the rest of the season - oh, and of course, millwall not getting promoted  
  • Options
    That 'England's Finest' banner looks like something the Palace Ultras would stick up.

It looks like a deep sea diving club poster.

It's quite frankly naff and embarrassing. Could we not please start plastering crap banners like this about? What's wrong with the badge, Killer, Mendonca, The Valley or anything that's really has some significance Charlton Athletic? 
    One of the young lads who wears the Burberry scarfs was plastering St James Park Exeter with “tits, fanny and Charlton” stickers. Of course the irony being that he’s probably only seen one of them.
    In fairness, probably two - as he's likely looked in a mirror.  
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Holden's comment about bringing Kanu on instead of Bonne was interesting... He said it was because Bennett was on a yellow, and he wanted someone who could spin behind and run the channels. I'm pretty sure when we signed Bonne, he said Macauley was someone who could do that.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Holden's comment about bringing Kanu on instead of Bonne was interesting... He said it was because Bennett was on a yellow, and he wanted someone who could spin behind and run the channels. I'm pretty sure when we signed Bonne, he said Macauley someone who could do that.
    But now he’s seen him play. 
    But continues to include him in the squad. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    limeygent said:
    Chunes said:
    Holden's comment about bringing Kanu on instead of Bonne was interesting... He said it was because Bennett was on a yellow, and he wanted someone who could spin behind and run the channels. I'm pretty sure when we signed Bonne, he said Macauley someone who could do that.
    But now he’s seen him play. 
    But continues to include him in the squad. 
    I mean there are literally no other strikers available unless we resort to the U16s so...
  • Options
    I didn't make it to Cambridge this time but the Maypole has a special place in my heart - delighted you made it there @Blucher. Should have gone for cocktails though.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    A cracking day out, with the 9:28 from Liverpool St departing bang on time and arriving in Cambridge nicely before 11. Perfect timing for a stroll into town and an excellent free exhibition at the Kettle's Yard art gallery before we touched down in The Maypole pub just after its noon opening. I don't think we'll be playing Cambridge again for some time but the pub certainly has an excellent choice of beer and exceptionally good Italian food.

We met my long-suffering Cambridge-supporting mate in the pub. He and his mates said they are totally resigned to relegation, although they believe that the club will retain Mark Bonner as manager, given their budgetary constraints and the credit that he has from the two previous seasons. The one big plus for them is that the club have finally reacquired ownership of their ground, so things could certainly be worse, in addition to which, the club's ownership is enlightened, stable and communicative. We can but hope for something similar in the not too distant future.    

We totally bossed the first half - admittedly against a very poor side, whose total lack of confidence reflected the fact that they'd won only one of their last 14 games. They created absolutely nothing in the final third and Maynard-Brewer can't have had a quieter 45 minutes in his career.  We were well worth the 2-0 lead and it could have been more. The second half was a different story. Cambridge changed their shape but the key for me was that we lost control of the midfield and, without Leaburn, were unable to make the ball stick up front. Maynard-Brewer pulled off a fine save midway through the second half and we had to withstand some heavy pressure after Cambridge deservedly got a goal back, although they weren't able to fashion another clear chance and we ran out worthy winners. Even allowing for the second half drop off, I thought it was a good all round display from the team, with Hector, Dobbo and JRS the pick of the bunch.

As an aside, I thought that Cambridge's unallocated seating approach for away supporters worked well - the club has to reduce the capacity slightly as a result as a quid pro quo but it saves a lot of fannying around and people can sit - or stand - where they choose. I was also impressed with the Adnams Ghost Ship beer offering at half time and the speed of service.

Post-match we had a couple of pints in the Alexandra Arms to watch the rugby and finished off with a beer in the excellent Calverley's Brewery en route to the station. Another 3 points on the road and all very satisfactory, with a hassle-free journey home.
    Love a drop of Ghost Ship.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Pleased for the travelling fans, pleased for the team and manager but just can't get excited - season's over - bed some youngster's like kanu in and hopefully get a decent new owner - they're about the only 2 things that really matter for the rest of the season - oh, and of course, millwall not getting promoted  
    and Palace getting relegated...
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Charlton's under 5's love a sticker; It's what kids do. 

I agree Fanny's road trips are a delight and Blucher's summaries are lucid and eloquent and the only time he resorted to saying 'dog shit' was after his day out at Cruffs.

Two away wins against poor sides admittedly but in the first 23 games we couldn't beat teams in the bottom half.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Leuth said:
    I think we can relax now. 

In the last five games the bottom six have (cumulatively) played 30 games, won 3, drawn 8 and lost 19.  That's 17 points from 90. 

This dreadful bunch have still taken 10 points off Charlton in 10 games, and it could have been more if Forest Green could finish

Who do we want to go down out of that lot?  Forest Green look a lost cause.  I'd like to see MK disappear completely so first step is going down to the fourth division.  Other than that, I don't care.
  • Options
    Probably Oxford as no matter how low they are, they manage to school us during a game of footie.