Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Darts

Comments

• Will be interesting to see which 8 players make the Premier League. 
    More so which players miss out. 
    Will be interesting to see what format they employ this year. Will it be the "self-contained tournament" each week like last year or will they come up with something else?

The top four in the rankings (Smith, MvG, Wright, Price) automatically qualify then there are some wildcards. You'd think that the likes of Clayton, Cullen and Aspinall would be in the frame.

The Masters is later this month for the top 16 and it seems that this comp is becoming a final qualifier for the Premier League.

• Will be interesting to see which 8 players make the Premier League. 
    More so which players miss out. 
    Don’t think they will announce it tonight , might wait until after the Masters like the last 2 years 
  • Smith
    MVG
    Price
    Wright
    Cullen
    Clayton
    Humphries
    Dobey

Not sure about Dobey so it could be Bunting, Aspinall or even Rock?
  • I reckon Rock will get in as ‘the next big thing’ 
  • No Aguerro or John Terry?
  • Can you imagine if he'd finished with a second nine darter, by the way?  Thought he was going to for a sec there.
  • I have to say, Wayne Mardle is quickly becoming one of the best commentators in pro sport imo.

"I can't spake! I can't spake!" Will become the stuff of legend
  • Really pleased for Michael Smith...and fair play to MVG for the sporting comments afterwards, after his bad sportsmanship the day before.
  • I have to say, Wayne Mardle is quickly becoming one of the best commentators in pro sport imo.

"I can't spake! I can't spake!" Will become the stuff of legend
    It's not the first time he's had to leave commentary duties because he's buggered his voice. He missed the 2021 Premier League finals night after Jose de Sousa's checkout of 120 only using tops:

https://youtu.be/4lkGIrxhohA

It's fitting that Wayne is now making a decent living out of talking endless rubbish as in these parts "mardle" means to chat or gossip as in "I were mardling with 'er next doors this a'ternoon."
  • Sponsored links:

• i quite quite like him commentating- couldn’t stand him as a player 
  • MrOneLung said:
    i quite quite like him commentating- couldn’t stand him as a player 
    A mate of mine saw Mardle at an exhibition event in Norwich a couple of years or so ago. All the players had their own "walk ons" to get onto the stage but Mardle's was by far the longest: he started in the bar area with a pint and had almost finished it by the time he'd meandered through the crowd to the stage.
  • Premier League:

Smith, Wright, Price, MVG, Clayton, Aspinall, Van Den Bergh and Dobey.

Cross and Humphries probably the biggest omissions.
  • Joe Cullen, last year's runner-up, might consider himself a tad unlucky too.
  • Aspinall & Van Den Bergh can consider themselves extremely lucky in my opinion.

Cullen is a real shock omission for me.
  • The masters at the weekend, Chris Dobey wins his first major / TV title, beating Rob Cross. TBF Rob looked like he run out of steam, often the problem when the first semi finalist has a bit more time to rest, don't know why they always do it. 

I would say Dobey is a shock, but pretty sure every year the winner of the masters normally gets in. Would have liked to see Rob Cross in there as he was so open before knowing he won't get picked and played some good stuff over the weekend. 
  • edited February 2023
    2023 Premier League opening night ...

Hollywood reigns in Belfast  - Chris Dobey had a half-decent full debut (he'd already appeared in the Premier League before as a "Contender/Challenger/Whatever-they-called-'em") beating MVG in the final in a last-leg decider taking out 160 to win (he'd already reeled in the Big Fish earlier in the match).

The Masters champion had already dispatched Peter Wright and Nathan Aspinall in the QF and SF respectively so not a bad evening's work for the Geordie who also trousered ten grand as a reward.

Next week: Cardiff ... and possibly the only week that Gerwyn Price isn't booed by the crowd :D

• 2023 Premier League opening night ...

Hollywood reigns in Belfast  - Chris Dobey had a half-decent full debut (he'd already appeared in the Premier League before as a "Contender/Challenger/Whatever-they-called-'em") beating MVG in the final in a last-leg decider taking out 160 to win (he'd already reeled in the Big Fish earlier in the match).

The Masters champion had already dispatched Peter Wright and Nathan Aspinall in the QF and SF respectively so not a bad evening's work for the Geordie who also trousered ten grand as a reward.

Next week: Cardiff ... and possibly the only week that Gerwyn Price isn't booed by the crowd :D

I turned off after MVG won the first semi final, assuming firstly he would win and also not a major fan of the remaining players.

Not sure why, but i am not really a fan of Dobey, he feels like he was bursting on the scene for a while and don't really enjoy watching him or something.

I hope people can get past the booing now, i know he was the villain and it's kind of set but to me it's boring and also clearly affected him at the worlds. You should argue he should be able to deal with it but still its unnecessary, similar to when Fallon Sherrock plays anyone they get boo'd.
  • Sponsored links:

• So just back from the O2.
    First time watching any sort of Darts in the flesh.
    Great atmos. Loads of banter. Kind of like the cricket but on amphetamine I'd describe it!
  • edited May 2023
    So just back from the O2.
    First time watching any sort of Darts in the flesh.
    Great atmos. Loads of banter. Kind of like the cricket but on amphetamine I'd describe it!
    Was it a bit of an anticlimax? i was following the results mostly as was watching footy, but both semis were one sided and the final pretty convincing. On the flip side of it sounds like 3 very good performances and it did look like the atmosphere was very good/noisy
  • Known about Luke for a long time.  He'll be  a multiple world champion.

Must've had a bloody hard paper round though!!!!
  • He's got to be the oldest looking 16 year old ever ....30 years old
    Ha, I said check his passport lol

looks like Tyrone from Corrie’s older brother 

amazing prospect 

• looks like Tyrone from Corrie’s older brother 
    Haha, bang on that one!
  • Some debut at the Ally Pally that.  Blimey.