Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Next week is going to be a busy one…
    Heard something ?! …
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Blimey. When did that happen and what is his injury?
    Ankle. He told my mate at the Bristol Rovers game that he probably wouldn't be running again for around 8 weeks. 
    That’s clever considering he got injured in the game after Bristol Rovers ….. ????? 

He got injured in November, the Bristol Rovers game was in December...

He got injured when he came on against Brighton that’s when his latest injury was .. 
    This is a masterpiece. Keep em coming big man
  • Club in talks with a striker and a left back, one is a loan don’t know which 
    Addressing the most needed areas first. You know anything of the quality? Very difficult to get exactly what you need in January.

Be interesting to see what happens with Sessegnon if we bring in a quality natural left back, as he has been one of the better and more consistent performers for me. 
    Moves to right back hopefully 
  • Chunes said:
    100% Bonne
    Don’t want to reinvigorate the debate on McCauley but if he is our incoming striker I’m not hopeful it’ll be enough. 
  • Sponsored links:

Addressing the most needed areas first. You know anything of the quality? Very difficult to get exactly what you need in January.

Be interesting to see what happens with Sessegnon if we bring in a quality natural left back, as he has been one of the better and more consistent performers for me. 
    Would be my preference, though I’d have Egbo straight back in when/if he is fit. 
  • Sess could play any outfield position except Dobson's and improve us 
  • Sess AND Dobson double pivot is an idea too if we want to go back to a back 4 
  • cabbles said:
    Frankly there are three quarters of the squad that aren’t good enough to get us out of league one. Tinkering with it this January will hopefully see off relegation but we really do need to hope that there is a change of ownership and that comes with both money and ambition. In my humble opinion this summer needs a turnover of players at around the 16 mark with around 9 being shoe in first teamers. I doubt we’ll get anywhere near close to that and HMS Piss The League is not even out of the drawing board stage.
    Absolutely this.  I still don’t understand why anyone else hangs onto the argument we’re 3 or 4 good players away.  9 shoe in first teamers is absolutely correct, not just 9 squad players.

the worry I have about Jan as a window is finding that quality that will make a difference long term.  3 examples of Jan signings, last season and the season before.  Mansfield in 2021 was given a 3 year contract, and he’s turned out to not be good enough.  Last year, Aneke and Fraser.  Both given long deals and not good enough to get us out this league.  We’re stuck with all 3 of them.  

As much as I would like a few new faces in Jan, I really hope that unless we’re signing them from a level above (unlikely), they’re short term deals and we don’t repeat the mistakes of the last 2 years.  We can’t afford to be giving crap players long deals like we have with Stockley, Kirk, Aneke etc etc 
    A major issue for us is that under TS we HAVE spent money on "key" signings AND given them long contracts, but the players have then disappointed. 

Indeed it can be argued that most transfer windows have resulted in us getting worse, as we end up stuck with players on long contracts.
  • Chunes said:
    100% Bonne
    Don’t want to reinvigorate the debate on McCauley but if he is our incoming striker I’m not hopeful it’ll be enough. 
    It's worse. He's our incoming left-back. 
  • cabbles said:
    Frankly there are three quarters of the squad that aren’t good enough to get us out of league one. Tinkering with it this January will hopefully see off relegation but we really do need to hope that there is a change of ownership and that comes with both money and ambition. In my humble opinion this summer needs a turnover of players at around the 16 mark with around 9 being shoe in first teamers. I doubt we’ll get anywhere near close to that and HMS Piss The League is not even out of the drawing board stage.
    Absolutely this.  I still don’t understand why anyone else hangs onto the argument we’re 3 or 4 good players away.  9 shoe in first teamers is absolutely correct, not just 9 squad players.

the worry I have about Jan as a window is finding that quality that will make a difference long term.  3 examples of Jan signings, last season and the season before.  Mansfield in 2021 was given a 3 year contract, and he’s turned out to not be good enough.  Last year, Aneke and Fraser.  Both given long deals and not good enough to get us out this league.  We’re stuck with all 3 of them.  

As much as I would like a few new faces in Jan, I really hope that unless we’re signing them from a level above (unlikely), they’re short term deals and we don’t repeat the mistakes of the last 2 years.  We can’t afford to be giving crap players long deals like we have with Stockley, Kirk, Aneke etc etc 

AMB
    Sess. O'Connell. NEW.  NEW
    NEW    Dobson.   Fraser.   Rak Saki
               Leaburn .  NEW

Looks very decent to me if those new players were top quality (like Beilik/Taylor/Aribo style quality).

Would still leave Wollacott, Egbo, Aneke, McGrandles (maybe), Thomas (maybe) to come back from injury to pad out.  Obviously could always do with more and better but the above would be very decent for the second half of the season.

• cabbles said:

A major issue for us is that under TS we HAVE spent money on "key" signings AND given them long contracts, but the players have then disappointed. 

Indeed it can be argued that most transfer windows have resulted in us getting worse, as we end up stuck with players on long contracts.
    Yes.  That’s why I always held out a bit of sympathy for TS initially.  He has spent money and I in the early days, I think it’s unfair to hold him to account for some of those players, as he would’ve gone on the recommendation of who signed them.  As time has gone on, it has made very little difference as TS is as much to blame as anyone.  But, he has stuck a fair bit of money in when it comes to personnel.  

It’s a shame none of our signings bar Dobson and Clare have worked out. Too early to tell for O’Connell and Egbo.  They may be okay, but we just don’t know.  As for the rest, really a disaster and very little can be said of them overall.  I’m sure Martin Sandgaard is at fault as well, given he’s chief biscuit officer for the scouting department 
  • Let us be honest. 
    With Stockley - 1 goal from open play all season,
    and Chucks - 1 90min appearance all season,
    any forward certainly Bonne, but even Polish Pete, Spongefoot or Doodoo would all be an improvement on what we currently have.
  • Sponsored links:

• It wouldn’t surprise me if Bonne is through the door straight away. It’s an easy deal and it makes sense for everyone involved, you would hope TS isn’t around to mess it up. 

There’s really not much out there for us. 

Would be my preference, though I’d have Egbo straight back in when/if he is fit. 
    Be nice to bring in a left-back knowing we could go into the summer with a decent full-back on both sides given Sess is likely to be elsewhere. 
  • cabbles said:

AMB
               Leaburn .  NEW

Looks very decent to me if those new players were top quality (like Beilik/Taylor/Aribo style quality).

Would still leave Wollacott, Egbo, Aneke, McGrandles (maybe), Thomas (maybe) to come back from injury to pad out.  Obviously could always do with more and better but the above would be very decent for the second half of the season.

AMB has had a couple of decent games, and could indeed go on to be part of team capable of promotion, but it’s way too early to tell.  I think Sessegnon would be better at RB, so agree with putting him there.  I can’t see us strong enough with him at LB, given he’s not left footed.

We don’t know about O’Connell.  He had a couple of okay games prior to him getting injured, but again, we’ve not seen enough of him to say he’s capable of getting us promoted as one of two CBs.

Out of the midfield you’ve offered, I’ll take Dobson, but I’m not seeing enough from Fraser or Rak Saki to think they’re capable of promotion.  Fraser hasn’t lived up to the hype and Rak Saki showed early promise, but I don’t see consistency and an end product.  He’s still young, but I’ve had a lifetime of these step-over merchants and very few of them deliver that final, end product on a consistent basis.

I like Leaburn, I think he has a lot about him so would agree there, but it’s a big ask of him given where he’s given the stage of his career. 
  • cabbles said:
    cabbles said:

AMB
               Leaburn .  NEW

AMB has had a couple of decent games, and could indeed go on to be part of team capable of promotion, but it’s way too early to tell.  I think Sessegnon would be better at RB, so agree with putting him there.  I can’t see us strong enough with him at LB, given he’s not left footed.

We don’t know about O’Connell.  He had a couple of okay games prior to him getting injured, but again, we’ve not seen enough of him to say he’s capable of getting us promoted as one of two CBs.

Out of the midfield you’ve offered, I’ll take Dobson, but I’m not seeing enough from Fraser or Rak Saki to think they’re capable of promotion.  Fraser hasn’t lived up to the hype and Rak Saki showed early promise, but I don’t see consistency and an end product.  He’s still young, but I’ve had a lifetime of these step-over merchants and very few of them deliver that final, end product on a consistent basis.

I like Leaburn, I think he has a lot about him so would agree there, but it’s a big ask of him given where he’s given the stage of his career. 
    100% cabbs, Fraser and Rak Saki need to be got rid of and Leaburn is too young and inexperienced to lead the line of a team chasing promotion 
  • It wouldn’t surprise me if Bonne is through the door straight away. It’s an easy deal and it makes sense for everyone involved, you would hope TS isn’t around to mess it up. 

There’s really not much out there for us. 
    How do you know there’s not much ? The introduction of Scott would at least imply our targets are meaningful if not spectacular. I’m sorry but Bonne would be a lazy signing. I’ll welcome him if he comes like anyone else but I’d hope we’re looking higher if I’m honest. 
    There are plenty of strikers out there, but the pool of strikers that are an upgrade on what we have, willing to sign and within our budget is quite small. 

I don’t want Bonne and I hope we’ve got something better lined up, but this signing feels likely. I’d much rather Victor Adeboyejo from Burton. 
  • edited December 2022
    Bonne would be better than nothing. But surely it's not either Bonne or nothing.