Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England vs United States (The People’s Match Thread)

England boss Gareth Southgate says captain Harry Kane will be fit to play in Friday's World Cup match against the United States. #England #WorldCup2022

— Pete O'Rourke (@SportsPeteO) November 24, 2022

Comments

• Win this hopefully and rest him for the Wales game 
  • On an American cruise liner at moment in Abu Dhabi 500 Americans 125 brits 125 others might be a fun night but 11pm kick off might dull the atmosphere slightly. Mind you if the 500 I don’t know how many understand football (soccer to some).
  • Harry Maguire set to earn his 50th cap tomorrow

Gareth Southgate confirmed in his pre-match media conference earlier that #ThreeLions skipper @HKane would be available for selection against USA tomorrow, while @HarryMaguire93 will earn his 50th cap. pic.twitter.com/83QJ7XfPQI

— England (@England) November 24, 2022
  • I can see us resting Kane regardless of his fitness. 

Start Wilson or something alongside Saka and Foden. 
  • I can see us resting Kane regardless of his fitness. 

Start Wilson or something alongside Saka and Foden. 
    Reckon we'll do that against Wales if anyone - Although its Kane, he never seems to want to be rested
  • Bump, Game Day! 
  • Same team, 3-0 up empty the bench.

8 days to think about the next meaningful game. 
  • Hope we see the same killer instinct as last game. USA seem very much over hyped to me 
  • Pleased we're keeping the same team for now. Need another 3 points on the board. 

Thought USA were shocking 2nd half against Wales.
  • Sponsored links:

• We put in a professional performance tonight then we will win comfortably. Early goal for us would be lovely.
  • We put in a professional performance tonight then we will win comfortably. Early goal for us would be lovely.
    In terms of tonight's game, would we prefer Wales to win (so the USA come at us) or Wales not to win (so they're more likely to sit back)? What the 'best' Wales result in terms of the England v USA game? 
  • Chizz said:
    We put in a professional performance tonight then we will win comfortably. Early goal for us would be lovely.
    In terms of tonight's game, would we prefer Wales to win (so the USA come at us) or Wales not to win (so they're more likely to sit back)? What the 'best' Wales result in terms of the England v USA game? 
    I would prefer Wales draw tbh. 
  • Chunes said:
    Pleased we're keeping the same team for now. Need another 3 points on the board. 

I agree

Foden and grealish are probably frustrated but we should keep it the way it is for now.

They can fight for starting place further down the line when we play Wales. 

Hopefully there aren't any rifts in the dressing room.
    Sterling left city on bad terms.  
  • I'm 25% Welsh - not enough to support them but enough not to hate them. I'd like a Wales win this morning so the USA pushes on and leaves defensive holes for us to exploit tonight. Then we can rest a few for a draw Vs Wales and eliminate the yanks. 
  • On an American cruise liner at moment in Abu Dhabi 500 Americans 125 brits 125 others might be a fun night but 11pm kick off might dull the atmosphere slightly. Mind you if the 500 I don’t know how many understand football (soccer to some).
    Surely the septics will all be at the buffet 
  • Dave2l said:
    Chunes said:
    Pleased we're keeping the same team for now. Need another 3 points on the board. 

I agree

Foden and grealish are probably frustrated but we should keep it the way it is for now.

They can fight for starting place further down the line when we play Wales. 

Hopefully there aren't any rifts in the dressing room.
    Sterling left city on bad terms.  
    One of your points, about rifts. I am pretty sure there isn't and the likes of Grealish and Foden will be fine sitting on the bench for however long needed. 

They have said that the morale within the squad is always good and they all get on, also you can see it by how they interact and any interviews. 

I'd like to see Foden put in the side , but we can't really argue following the last match (Although its Iran), Mount, Sterling, Saka all had good games so there isn't a clear place for now. 

It's all about the squad for now, also if Kane is injured or not far off i would worry. I know he didn't score but his movement and his build up play was a big factor in scoring 6 and i am not sure Wilson is the man for plan B, if we had Toney i would have been happier with personally. 
  • IdleHans said:
    I'm 25% Welsh - not enough to support them but enough not to hate them. I'd like a Wales win this morning so the USA pushes on and leaves defensive holes for us to exploit tonight. Then we can rest a few for a draw Vs Wales and eliminate the yanks. 
    If Wales win I can the US shutting up shop a but against us and trying to either nick a narrow win on the break or get a draw.

They'll be hoping we beat Wales, and that the Iran game will be the one they can try and sort the goal difference in.
  • I believe that we will win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    We put in a professional performance tonight then we will win comfortably. Early goal for us would be lovely.
    If we are worried about how the USA will approach the game, as to if we will win or not we probably might as well give up now.

This England should be able to beat them either way.  They will think they can and I am highly confident we will just be too good for them.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chizz said:
    If we are worried about how the USA will approach the game, as to if we will win or not we probably might as well give up now.

This England should be able to beat them either way.  They will think they can and I am highly confident we will just be too good for them.
    I agree. But it's interesting to speculate on how the opposition might set up
  • Should beat these comfortably. 3-0
  • edited November 2022
    Not sure if posted before but this was the reaction after the USA v Wales game on ESPN. 

Got to love the spelling out of UEFA. He is right about being angry that they couldn't even beat Wales. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqbveflKPWk
  • won't be a mere formality, USA are a decent side, however, if we play anywhere near our best, this will be a comfortable win
  • I think USA will prove a sterner test than Iran, but as long as we don't make any howlers I think we can come away with a solid win. 2-0 England I reckon. 
  • IdleHans said:
    I'd like a Wales win this morning so the USA pushes on and leaves defensive holes for us to exploit tonight.
    Im hoping there will be plenty of holes to penetrate tonight.