Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• More from Sun Journalist Alan Nixon.

He is notoriously wrong and hostile, citing him as a reliable source is daft

He blocks everybody who ever asks him anything vaguely intelligent

Sun journalist

• Will give him a chance, but it's incredibly underwhelming. Failed at Bristol Rovers, did ok at Swindon. It won't have the other League 1 promotion teams panicking. 
    How many top managers fail at certain clubs .. don’t hear Wimbeldon fans moaning about Jackson failing at CAFC .. he did excellent at Swindon with only 7 players at start of season to get them
    into play offs ….. if he the man and he fits the criteria we were looking for then he the man we support .. like any manager he will need a bit of luck on the pitch and of course our injury luck must improve for one season surely … 

• Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    So was he 8th, 9th or 10th choice..........

What a joke....... sacked Jackson for this........ I really give up. All will have been done on a spreadsheet, just like RD he'll never learn, too pig/big headed.
    Is this a question or a statement? Was he 8th choice or numbe 1 target?
    Question, he certainly wasn't number one choice as he wasn't the first manager to be spoken to. But whether TS spoke to 3/5/10 or 100 I don't know.

But the same mistakes are being made time and time again, players bought on stats, now managers.

But despite Swindon being number 1 in almost every stat last season, they weren't top in the one that matters - promotion.......So a manager fail to get one off the best squads in league two out of the division, so we'll give him a go at getting us out of league one with in a relative terms arguably a worse squad...... Swindon only just made the playoffs by a point.
    Why would the first manager TS interviewed be his first choice, and how do we know he even had a ‘first choice’? Sounds to me like they interviewed, and if the rumours are true, are still interviewing lots of candidates.

Maybe they went into it with a complete open mind and wanted to hear from as many managers as possible which is why the process is taking as long as it is.

Secondly, and this is complete ignorance on my part due to my lack of knowledge, but what do you know about the Swindon team and it’s players to say they had one of the best squads in the league? From what I read they had 7 players at the beginning of the season, and had been in somewhat of a downward spiral. 

If you believe that then IMHO you are deluded. TS much like RD has a very small pool of managers who will work under his 'set up', especially in League one, which he is now finding. Garner wasn't first choice or even 5th, but he may well be one of the few prepared to work under the set up provided by TS and MS.
    So frustrating that instead on engaging in what could be an interesting conversation point you just resort to referring to my opinion as deluded. 

If you are so certain Garner was not even 5th, 6th choice etc, which managers do you think TS would rather have had in front of him?
    TS's number one choice (before he even sacked Jackson) was Beale. Beale will not come to work under this set up despite being very keen on becoming a manager in his own right. Warburton was I believe second choice, again will not work under the set up (but also holding out for another championship job). I don't know for sure that Smith has been spoken to, but my understanding is he was, but again without being a broken record, and especially as he still has many contacts in and around Charlton (not least Jackson) he won't work under TS. 

On Beale - just remember what TS said previously (before Jackson was appointed);

"He has a fantastic track record, especially on the supporting side, of course we talked to Michael. We’ve also been a little more ambitious than that, in terms of the level of managers we’ve been reaching for."

Had Beale been interested post Adkins then 100% TS would have appointed him and not Jackson. No offence to Jackson as I love the bloke and believe he should have been given more time, but he only got the gig mainly because TS couldn't get anyone else.

So we're reaching for higher caliber managers......... yer right, it's a case of make good and do, speak to anyone in and around the first team and you'll understand why we will struggle to attract a 'head coach' of any caliber. I think TS's struggle is he cannot accept a large part of that reason is him and how he is setting up the running of the football side of the club doesn't compute with most managers/coaches.

I'm sure even Jackson had he spent ten years at the Wombles and just been sacked wouldn't have given the CAFC job a second thought. Very few managers worth their salt will.
    Who is smith?
  • edited May 2022
    Addick93 said:
    I think the story about Garner being close to the job could be Sandgaard trying to push Beale or others to make a decision on the role. 

If that’s the case slightly unfair on Garner and Swindon if he doesn’t get the role!
    No …. Not true 
    Lets face it no-one knows.. "The Truth",... opinions, speculation, rumours, is the best we can come up with at the moment...who knows who is right, so WIOTOS eh..
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

What a joke....... sacked Jackson for this........ I really give up. All will have been done on a spreadsheet, just like RD he'll never learn, too pig/big headed.
    Question, he certainly wasn't number one choice as he wasn't the first manager to be spoken to. But whether TS spoke to 3/5/10 or 100 I don't know.

But the same mistakes are being made time and time again, players bought on stats, now managers.

But despite Swindon being number 1 in almost every stat last season, they weren't top in the one that matters - promotion.......So a manager fail to get one off the best squads in league two out of the division, so we'll give him a go at getting us out of league one with in a relative terms arguably a worse squad...... Swindon only just made the playoffs by a point.
    Why would the first manager TS interviewed be his first choice, and how do we know he even had a ‘first choice’? Sounds to me like they interviewed, and if the rumours are true, are still interviewing lots of candidates.

Maybe they went into it with a complete open mind and wanted to hear from as many managers as possible which is why the process is taking as long as it is.

Secondly, and this is complete ignorance on my part due to my lack of knowledge, but what do you know about the Swindon team and it’s players to say they had one of the best squads in the league? From what I read they had 7 players at the beginning of the season, and had been in somewhat of a downward spiral. 

If you believe that then IMHO you are deluded. TS much like RD has a very small pool of managers who will work under his 'set up', especially in League one, which he is now finding. Garner wasn't first choice or even 5th, but he may well be one of the few prepared to work under the set up provided by TS and MS.
    So frustrating that instead on engaging in what could be an interesting conversation point you just resort to referring to my opinion as deluded. 

If you are so certain Garner was not even 5th, 6th choice etc, which managers do you think TS would rather have had in front of him?
    TS's number one choice (before he even sacked Jackson) was Beale. Beale will not come to work under this set up despite being very keen on becoming a manager in his own right. Warburton was I believe second choice, again will not work under the set up (but also holding out for another championship job). I don't know for sure that Smith has been spoken to, but my understanding is he was, but again without being a broken record, and especially as he still has many contacts in and around Charlton (not least Jackson) he won't work under TS. 

On Beale - just remember what TS said previously (before Jackson was appointed);

"He has a fantastic track record, especially on the supporting side, of course we talked to Michael. We’ve also been a little more ambitious than that, in terms of the level of managers we’ve been reaching for."

Had Beale been interested post Adkins then 100% TS would have appointed him and not Jackson. No offence to Jackson as I love the bloke and believe he should have been given more time, but he only got the gig mainly because TS couldn't get anyone else.

So we're reaching for higher caliber managers......... yer right, it's a case of make good and do, speak to anyone in and around the first team and you'll understand why we will struggle to attract a 'head coach' of any caliber. I think TS's struggle is he cannot accept a large part of that reason is him and how he is setting up the running of the football side of the club doesn't compute with most managers/coaches.

I'm sure even Jackson had he spent ten years at the Wombles and just been sacked wouldn't have given the CAFC job a second thought. Very few managers worth their salt will.
    Who is smith?
    Presume he meant Taylor. 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Who is smith?

• I’m not one to usually do this, but 539 posts since I last visited which couldn’t have been more than half the day! I’m expecting some serious gossip here 
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m not Sandgaard’s biggest fan but the reaction on here is pretty negative. We’ve gotta give Garner a chance here and a lot dismissing him have probably never watched a team of his. Palace or not, pretty good experience as a first team coach at a good level. The big plus for me is that he’s being allowed to bring his own coaching staff with him. 

Good luck to him. Sandgaard has to back him in the transfer market. 
    Transfer market ? We have the under 18s& 23s for Garner to develop & bring into the senior team.

• Beale now 2/1 Favourite for the QPR Job
  • one penalty miss away from getting Swindon into the play off final .. seems relaxed and self assured when interviewed .. IF given some money I would expect him to build a very decent team/squad .. IF appointed he will have my backing .. not an appointment I anticipated, but there again I didn't know who to expect ..  and people, we ARE NOT getting Conté, Pip, Klopp or crackle and pop to come and manage an underperforming club .. Garner knows the lower leagues and its players ..  we will be undergoing a big player turnover and he (as said) is well capable of signing the right players ..  IF IF appointed I expect him to do a decent job .. as ever we will see
    We will see.

18 months of managerial experience is not exactly vast.  As ever, I wonder who is advising Sandgaard.  I am not suggesting that Garner is not or will not be good; time will tell.  I would just like to know how the owner has reached the decision. 
  • edited May 2022
    sholland said:
    Beale now 2/1 Favourite for the QPR Job

Mmmm, bookies eh, what do they know!!..
  • one penalty miss away from getting Swindon into the play off final .. seems relaxed and self assured when interviewed .. IF given some money I would expect him to build a very decent team/squad .. IF appointed he will have my backing .. not an appointment I anticipated, but there again I didn't know who to expect ..  and people, we ARE NOT getting Conté, Pip, Klopp or crackle and pop to come and manage an underperforming club .. Garner knows the lower leagues and its players ..  we will be undergoing a big player turnover and he (as said) is well capable of signing the right players ..  IF IF appointed I expect him to do a decent job .. as ever we will see
    and allowed sway on recruitment, tactics and selection

not exactly what this owner's been saying is it?
  • sholland said:
    Mmmm, bookies eh, what do they know!!..
    Clearly not as much as what some of the fans knocking any new potential appointment on here do!!
  • paulfox said:
    sam3110 said:
    If people are going to start calling for us to sign Swindon players, it's spelt M-c-K-i-r-d-y

Anyone spelling it wrong from here on should be banned from the site
    Wasn’t overly impressed when he put his pen into row z and then laughed on his way back to the halfway line, he was getting dogs abuse admittedly but didn’t come across as bothered about anyone but himself. Obviously don’t know him so could be jumping to conclusions wrongly.
    For what it's worth i think he was laughing with embarrassment at how bad it was, not that he actually found the situation funny. Same as some people don't mean to laugh when they're nervous.
    I think you are probably right, not sure the Swindon fans were laughing with him though😬. He seemed to be be more interested in winding up the vale fans throughout, bit like Lyle Taylor does.
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    sam3110 said:
    If people are going to start calling for us to sign Swindon players, it's spelt M-c-K-i-r-d-y

Wasn’t overly impressed when he put his pen into row z and then laughed on his way back to the halfway line, he was getting dogs abuse admittedly but didn’t come across as bothered about anyone but himself. Obviously don’t know him so could be jumping to conclusions wrongly.
    For what it's worth i think he was laughing with embarrassment at how bad it was, not that he actually found the situation funny. Same as some people don't mean to laugh when they're nervous.
    I think you are probably right, not sure the Swindon fans were laughing with him though😬. He seemed to be be more interested in winding up the vale fans throughout, bit like Lyle Taylor does.
    I quite like that though, the kind of player that fans of his team instantly love but opposition fans detest.

My concern with him though wouldn't be him winding people up, it's the fact he's 25 and this was his first good season. But clearly Garner knows something his previous managers didn't so if he did follow Garner it'd potentially be a positive signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Do we want somebody who might have hodophobia in his genes?

From wiki

‘With the widespread introduction of the motor-vehicle in the early 20th century, Pembury Hospital hosted a centre of groundbreaking research and treatment for hodophobia (fear of road travel). Some of the original test subjects settled in Pembury and many of their descendants still live in the village today.’

Could cost TS a fortune in planes, trains, and sedan chairs.
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    sam3110 said:

I quite like that though, the kind of player that fans of his team instantly love but opposition fans detest.

My concern with him though wouldn't be him winding people up, it's the fact he's 25 and this was his first good season. But clearly Garner knows something his previous managers didn't so if he did follow Garner it'd potentially be a positive signing.
    Jamie Vardy was past 25 before he was signed from conference football - not suggesting he's the next JV but 25's not too old to still be improving
  • sholland said:
    Again bookies making things up .. Ainsworth got that job 
    Making things up…..oh the irony.🤥🤥🤥
    In fairness, the editor of the Plymouth Herald does make his staff focus solely on Charlton and QPR.
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    sam3110 said:

Usually means he would be doing something right, if opposing fans are giving him the bird. Like any players I would judge him by what he did for us. We learned that lesson with kermogant, he was apparently terrible before us.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    mendonca said:
    SLP v LinkedIn DM
    Anyone seen the DM?
    Yes.
  • 3 other Swindon players who look the business .. Goalkeeper Ward .. A big, commanding presence .. Right Back Odimayo, assured and good on the ball as well as a decent defender .. and the old man Baudry in central defence, a player I have admired for  a long time since his Orient days .. 34 is nowadays no age for a  fit and capable no 5/6
    AND Swindon have a youngster with the most glorious name after Luke Waterfall .. George Cowmeadow .. now there's a no bullshit name  :)