Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2028 - UK and Republic of Ireland to host Euro 2028

The four UK nations and the Republic of Ireland are likely to be confirmed as hosts of Euro 2028 in a fortnight after no other countries bid to stage the tournament.

Tournament looks like to increase from 24 nations to 32 nations.

Comments

• Is it too late to put a bet on?
  • All to appease us not getting the world cup yet again. Insane that the "home of football" hasn't hosted it since 1966, and probably won't host it for another 15-20 years
  • I presume all 5 nations will automatically qualify?
  • That surprises me after the debacle at Euro 2020
    "after no other countries bid to stage the tournament."
  • edited March 2022
    Brilliant news. England is one of the most suitable countries to host a tournament.

People will focus on what happened in the Euro Final - but that was largely down to the fact that it was England playing in that game, their first major final in 50+ years.

I personally don’t think it’s the sort of thing that will happen again and again, to that scale at least.

Also, a tournament being hosted in this country will no doubt wind up absolutely every other international fanbase going for whatever illogical reason, so that’s another plus.
  • edited March 2022
    I presume all 5 nations will automatically qualify?
    Not according to this.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/euro-2028-host-uefa-uk-ireland-bid-automatic-qualification-places-1456544

Uefa is not expected to offer five automatic qualification places for Euro 2028 if a joint Britain and Ireland bid to host the tournament is successful.

The five nations — England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the Republic of Ireland — confirmed their intention to bid for the European Championship to be held in six years’ time after cancelling plans to bid for the 2030 World Cup.

Traditionally, the host or hosts of a major international tournament — be that the European Championship or World Cup — are handed automatic qualification spots by the organiser. But i has learned that it is unlikely Uefa would extend that offer to accommodate all five nations.

Two automatic qualification passes were handed to Belgium and Holland when they became the competition’s first joint-hosts at Euro 2000, while Switzerland and Austria and Ukraine and Poland were also given automatic spots when they collaborated to host Euro 2008 and 2012 respectively.

But, while the Euro 2028 tournament regulations are yet to be finalised, Uefa is not keen on allowing more than two host countries to qualify automatically for a competition. When the first pan-European competition was organised for Euro 2020, to celebrate the competition’s 60th anniversary, none of the 11 host countries were issued automatic places.

It is expected that Euro 2028 will be a 32-team tournament, increasing from 24, but even if that is ratified it is unlikely to change Uefa’s stance should the Britain and Ireland bid win the rights. Executives of the five nations intend to discuss the issue with Uefa if the bid progresses.

Asked last week what the Britain and Ireland bid team intend to do if five spots are not granted, Irish FA chief executive Patrick Nelson said: “We all want to be there, obviously. The Euros is such a fantastic tournament, we’ve all experienced it before and are looking forward to putting a great bid together for 2028. Those are discussions we’ll have with Uefa. We’d all love to qualify automatically.

“If it’s a 24 team tournament, that’s 51 games. If it’s a 32 team tournament, that’s 63 games. We’re pretty confident as a five-nation group we’ll be able to handle either of those scenarios. Performances on the field are what matters in terms of qualification and we’ll have those discussions in some detail with Uefa later in terms of whether there are any host places.”

• edited March 2022
    That surprises me after the debacle at Euro 2020
    "after no other countries bid to stage the tournament."
    Yeah you'll have to call me cynical there - Am sure there were still a few "persuasions" handed out

After all Turkey tried to bid in 2024 against Germany, so why not have another go themselves

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2028_bids

All these countries have suddenly decided that nah we'll let the UK go it alone
  • Sponsored links:

They would have given it to anyone else if they could after the madness earlier this summer. A joint Russia & Belarus bid would have been looked upon favourably compared to us! 
  • edited March 2022
    se9addick said:
    That surprises me after the debacle at Euro 2020
    They would have given it to anyone else if they could after the madness earlier this summer. A joint Russia & Belarus bid would have been looked upon favourably compared to us! 
    Russia actually did bid and was thrown out by UEFA believe it or not!

Turkey is an odd one but maybe they just didn’t fancy losing another bid after doing about 27 of them in a row.

None of the other bids ever seriously got off the ground.
  • edited March 2022
    The deadline is tomorrow so Turkey could still announce their bid? Have the Turkish FA confirmed they won’t be bidding?
  • Turkey might still bid, but the Scandinavian bid never really got off the ground and I believe the South East Europe bid is eyeing up WC 2030, as is the Iberian Peninsula bid
  • Never mind whether or not all 5 hosts will qualify automatically, is no one going to mention that a 32 team Euro's in crazy. Hardly worth having qualifiers really, everyone will make it anyway.
    Was just about to post the same thing. 32 out of 55 nations at the major tournament. Qualification matches will mostly be a non event. 
  • sam3110 said:
    All to appease us not getting the world cup yet again. Insane that the "home of football" hasn't hosted it since 1966, and probably won't host it for another 15-20 years
    I suspect the likelihood that a backup nation will be needed to step in to host it due to unforeseen circumstances is increasing and there’s one natural place that can do that without a lot of preparation, stadium building, hotel building, transport infrastructure building etc etc etc. England doesn’t need to bid the for World Cup, it will come this way anyway.
    No-one will be more on their toes to prevent it happening again than England. 

Takes a thief and all that? 

Just a thought.  
  • edited March 2022
    sam3110 said:
    All to appease us not getting the world cup yet again. Insane that the "home of football" hasn't hosted it since 1966, and probably won't host it for another 15-20 years
    Screwed ourselves with the debacle at Wembley allowing non-ticket holders to enter. 

We will never host a World Cup for another generation at least after that.
    That hasn't anything to do with it because we should of been awarded hosting the world cup before then. 

our bids were always shite anyway. Yeah we got the stadiums already built, the infrastructure, the history but not enough deaths or 💰 for FIFA. Still, yeah, it's our fault cos a few pushed in.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2022
    sam3110 said:
    Screwed ourselves with the debacle at Wembley allowing non-ticket holders to enter. 

We will never host a World Cup for another generation at least after that.
    That hasn't anything to do with it because we should of been awarded hosting the world cup before then. 

our bids were always shite anyway. Yeah we got the stadiums already built, the infrastructure, the history but not enough deaths or 💰 for FIFA. Still, yeah, it's our fault cos a few pushed in.
    You think this is the first time the England fans have caused trouble at a major sporting event? 

The fans are the reason we aren't given World Cups. They know they will travel around the world regardless and cause trouble. 

Host it here and you times the number of trouble makers by 100 maybe 1000. 
  • Never mind whether or not all 5 hosts will qualify automatically, is no one going to mention that a 32 team Euro's in crazy. Hardly worth having qualifiers really, everyone will make it anyway.
    Was just about to post the same thing. 32 out of 55 nations at the major tournament. Qualification matches will mostly be a non event. 
    Could be down to 53 if you have included Russia and Belarus.
  • Don’t agree with the fans comments. The only thing which FIFA care about is money. Nothing else matters to them
    Security costs is money. 
  • I wonder what assortment of ducks in a row would it take to hold the final at the 82,300 capacity Croke Park.
  • seth plum said:
    I wonder what assortment of ducks in a row would it take to hold the final at the 82,300 capacity Croke Park.
    Depends if Garth Brooks is playing.
  • Don’t agree with the fans comments. The only thing which FIFA care about is money. Nothing else matters to them
    And that is why the UK/ROI bid will get it ... we can guarantee them packed stadiums
  • edited March 2022
    So they could pick:

Russia - Well we all know about Russia
    Turkey - Have their fans have been forgiven for stabbing the English lads in the Champions League?
    UK - Have our fans been forgiven for storming Wembley Stadium at Euro 2020? - But only our fans are bad right