Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2028 - UK and Republic of Ireland to host Euro 2028

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2022
    UK & Ireland have shortlisted 14 stadiums - of which a final 10 will be selected for the official bid.

With Turkey bidding at the last possible second, it's still not a guarantee that the tournament is coming to us. UEFA's decision is expected in September next year.

The 14 stadiums, listed by capacity, on the shortlist are:
    1. Wembley Stadium (capacity 90k)
    2. Croke Park (capacity 82k)
    3. Old Trafford (capacity 74k)
    4. Millenium Stadium (capacity 74k)
    5. London Stadium (capacity 66k)
    6. Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (capacity 63k)
    7. City of Manchester Stadium (capacity 53k)
    8. Everton Stadium (new - proposed capacity 52k)
    9. St James Park (capacity 52k)
    10. Hampden Park (capacity 51k)
    11. Lansdowne Road Stadium (capacity 51k)
    12. Villa Park (expansion planned - proposed capacity 50k)
    13. Stadium of Light (capacity 49k)
    14. Casement Park Stadium (pending redevelopment - proposed capacity 34k)

You'd imagine that Wembley, Lansdowne/Aviva, Hampden and Millenium/Principality are guaranteed to be included in the final 10.

That leaves ten more venues with only six more needed for the official bid.

I'd be shocked if they don't choose the shiny new Everton stadium as well as Villa Park as the only midlands venue on the shortlist. You'd also imagine it would be a 50/50 choice between the Manchester stadiums and likewise with Newcastle and Sunderland in the North East.

That leaves four stadiums in the shortlist unaccounted for (Croke Park, Casement Park, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London Stadium) with only two more needed to make up the final bid.
  • Options
    Cant see Croke Park not being selected, not if its a joint bid with Ireland
  • Options
    Cant see Croke Park not being selected, not if its a joint bid with Ireland
    I’d add Casement to that with NI part of the bid. Still to be built, but would be fast tracked if they get the bid in. 
  • Options
    If I had to leave off four Id say... 

Stadium of Light - Everton - Etihad - New White Hart Lane

I'd only pick London Stadium over Spurs because its a Stadium that was built for these types of event, rather than West Ham

Am surprised the Emirates or Anfield haven't t been put forward. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Anfield's pitch is apparently too small for International football.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/09/why-anfield-wont-be-able-to-host-potential-euro-2028-matches/
  • Options

I'd only pick London Stadium over Spurs because its a Stadium that was built for these types of event, rather than West Ham

I’d leave Hampden out. Dilapidated stadium with awful transport links. Ibrox or Celtic Park would be much better (I’d even take Murrayfield over Hampden).

Would definitely include Spurs’ stadium, one of the best stadiums in the world and comfortably better than anything else in the British Isles. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I’d leave Hampden out. Dilapidated stadium with awful transport links. Ibrox or Celtic Park would be much better (I’d even take Murrayfield over Hampden).

Would definitely include Spurs’ stadium, one of the best stadiums in the world and comfortably better than anything else in the British Isles. 
    Unfortunately none of those three have been included in the shortlist so it'll be Hampden or nothing for Scotland...
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Unfortunately none of those three have been included in the shortlist so it'll be Hampden or nothing for Scotland...
    Oh I know, was just saying what I would do if I had the power. Final would probably be played at the Valley in that scenario though!
  • Options
    What the fuck is Croke Park doing on there? 
    Thought they were steadfast in their opposition to football being played there and only want GAA sports there ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Thought they were steadfast in their opposition to football being played there and only want GAA sports there ? 
    Football & rugby were played there when the Aviva was being built. They even played GSTQ  there prior to Ireland playing England in the 6 Nations.
  • Options
    Spurs is the best club ground in the country, but the London Stadium has much better transport links and loads of room around it for fan parks etc
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    €€€
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Football & rugby were played there when the Aviva was being built. They even played GSTQ  there prior to Ireland playing England in the 6 Nations.
    They did object but I was told that as they had taken public money to build it it should be used for other sports.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:
    €€€
    Exactly this.
    Just been to Pàirc Uì Chaoimh to watch Munster v South Africa.
    A fabulous stadium & great to stand on a terrace again.
    It’s also used for gigs.
    They also gave in to house the Liam Millar memorial match after massive criticism.
    Croke Park will be the same.
    Money talks.
    I never thought I’d see it but there you are.
  • Options
    Pàirc Uì Chaoimh ?

You're making it up as you go along...  :D;)
  • Options
    Just a thought…how are UEFA going to feel about granting automatic qualification to FIVE countries, as joint hosts?? Surely they won’t go for that. Can only remember joint hosts before, but 5 is taking the proverbial a bit 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Just a thought…how are UEFA going to feel about granting automatic qualification to FIVE countries, as joint hosts?? Surely they won’t go for that. Can only remember joint hosts before, but 5 is taking the proverbial a bit 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Good point.....someone will have the answer.
  • Options
    They might look to move it to 32 teams.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I presume all 5 nations will automatically qualify?
    Not according to this.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/euro-2028-host-uefa-uk-ireland-bid-automatic-qualification-places-1456544

Uefa is not expected to offer five automatic qualification places for Euro 2028 if a joint Britain and Ireland bid to host the tournament is successful.

The five nations — England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the Republic of Ireland — confirmed their intention to bid for the European Championship to be held in six years’ time after cancelling plans to bid for the 2030 World Cup.

Traditionally, the host or hosts of a major international tournament — be that the European Championship or World Cup — are handed automatic qualification spots by the organiser. But i has learned that it is unlikely Uefa would extend that offer to accommodate all five nations.

Two automatic qualification passes were handed to Belgium and Holland when they became the competition’s first joint-hosts at Euro 2000, while Switzerland and Austria and Ukraine and Poland were also given automatic spots when they collaborated to host Euro 2008 and 2012 respectively.

But, while the Euro 2028 tournament regulations are yet to be finalised, Uefa is not keen on allowing more than two host countries to qualify automatically for a competition. When the first pan-European competition was organised for Euro 2020, to celebrate the competition’s 60th anniversary, none of the 11 host countries were issued automatic places.

It is expected that Euro 2028 will be a 32-team tournament, increasing from 24, but even if that is ratified it is unlikely to change Uefa’s stance should the Britain and Ireland bid win the rights. Executives of the five nations intend to discuss the issue with Uefa if the bid progresses.

Asked last week what the Britain and Ireland bid team intend to do if five spots are not granted, Irish FA chief executive Patrick Nelson said: “We all want to be there, obviously. The Euros is such a fantastic tournament, we’ve all experienced it before and are looking forward to putting a great bid together for 2028. Those are discussions we’ll have with Uefa. We’d all love to qualify automatically.

“If it’s a 24 team tournament, that’s 51 games. If it’s a 32 team tournament, that’s 63 games. We’re pretty confident as a five-nation group we’ll be able to handle either of those scenarios. Performances on the field are what matters in terms of qualification and we’ll have those discussions in some detail with Uefa later in terms of whether there are any host places.”

From the first page.
  • Options
    I presume all 5 nations will automatically qualify?
    Saw a cool idea online.

If they can’t guarantee five spots, throw all five home nations into their own qualifying group sectioned from the rest of the competition. 

The top two/three qualify (depending on how many place UEFA are willing give up) and the other two/three go through the play-off paths to get in.
    Also from the first page - I think this is the best/coolest solution to the "problem".
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    They could always allow ROI in and the other four could play off for the final place.
  • Options
    I would like to see a bit more geographical spread. The west of Ireland with a game at Thomond Park, and a game at Pittodrie in the north of Scotland.
    Clearly won’t happen but it would be good in my view.
  • Options
    Pàirc Uì Chaoimh ?

You're making it up as you go along...  :D;)
    In Cork.
    Very nice too.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    seth plum said:
    I would like to see a bit more geographical spread. The west of Ireland with a game at Thomond Park, and a game at Pittodrie in the north of Scotland.
    Agree, it's a shame. I would've liked to have seen 2 stadiums in each country (perhaps NI apart).

It's a shame that it looks like everyone gets one (perhaps ROI get two if Croke Park is chosen) and England (London & the North West) get the rest.

I understand those are more convenient than Thomond or Pittodrie from a transport links perspective. Still, would've been great to see major cities like Edinburgh, Swansea, Cork get a look in.
  • Options
    If it is a good idea to go places and hold tournaments, then actually go places.
    Otherwise repeatedly hold tournaments in the same European or World stadiums.
  • Options
    Again it’s not just the stadiums that are important, it’s the availability in the cities that the stadiums are located of sufficient hotel rooms, hospitality (restaurants etc) and decent public transport links. That’s why major cities are typically picked.

Not choosing Edinburgh to host games is a miss however. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Great idea for international fans trying to get there.
  • Options
    Part of the adventure.