Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2028 - UK and Republic of Ireland to host Euro 2028

Comments

• Options
    TelMc32 said:
    I see on the news last night that they’re already referring to The Aviva Stadium as The Dublin Arena. Fits in with FIFA/UEFA not allowing sponsor names, which I read recently Daniel Levy was arguing about for Spurs stadium (even though he hasn’t actually sold those naming rights yet). 
    What are they going to call the Etihad stadium then?
  • Options
    Still hoping the Welling/Ebbsfleet/Dartford bid wins it. 
  • Options
    I know someone who has been involved in some capacity with the bid, and although we clearly have the better facilities and infrastructure to hold the event, the person I know believes that Turkey are more likely to win it for 2 reasons. Firstly, we are supposedly asking for too much money to host the tournament and secondly, our FA isn't liked very much by the international committees that agree the bids. 

Would love it to be held here though but can see Turkey getting it
    At 25/1 you should both stick some wedge on it.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    I see on the news last night that they’re already referring to The Aviva Stadium as The Dublin Arena. Fits in with FIFA/UEFA not allowing sponsor names, which I read recently Daniel Levy was arguing about for Spurs stadium (even though he hasn’t actually sold those naming rights yet). 

"City of Manchester Stadium" is its sponsorless name
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

"City of Manchester Stadium" is its sponsorless name
    Ah yes good point.
  • Options
    It's now called Turkiye in order to stop bad jokes like:

If Turkey get it, will it be another winter competition, played over Christmas?
  • Options
    It's now called Turkiye in order to stop bad jokes like:

If Turkey get it, will it be another winter competition, played over Christmas?
    If that’s the standard of jokes then it’s probably for the best!
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Looks as though our bid is going to be unopposed

Instead Turkey are going to combine forces with Italy and go for Euro 2032
  • Options
    Exciting news. Will be nice to have a tournament here as an England fan that doesn’t have all the logistics of travelling abroad for an entire month to see the games. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Turkey and Italy is a ridiculous combination. There's a massive distance between the countries.
    Seems to be the norm now, given that Spain | Portugal | Ukraine initially combined for the 2030 World Cup
  • Options
    Germany will be the last of the one country tournaments IMO. Especially with World Cups being expanded, and most likely Euros too by the time we get to 2028.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    cafctom said:
    Germany will be the last of the one country tournaments IMO. Especially with World Cups being expanded, and most likely Euros too by the time we get to 2028.
    You would expect the countries co-hosting to be near each other though...
  • Options

Turkey and Italy is a ridiculous combination. There's a massive distance between the countries.
    Seems to be the norm now, given that Spain | Portugal | Ukraine initially combined for the 2030 World Cup

I'd love to see that bid win now they've dropped Ukraine and added Morocco.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    cafctom said:
    You would expect the countries co-hosting to be near each other though...
    Ideally.

Would expect they’d put a half of the draw in each country, so that fans don’t have to go between them too often. 
  • Options

Geographically that makes more sense, but surely Morocco can't host an UEFA event as an AFCON country?
  • Options

Geographically that makes more sense, but surely Morocco can't host an UEFA event as an AFCON country?
    Their bid is for the 2030 World Cup
  • Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland will host the 2028 European Championship, Uefa has confirmed.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67062742
  • Options
    Can understand why countries are clubbing together, splitting costs etc, like Italy/Turkey for this, Spain/Portugal/Morocco for the World Cup etc, but it does feel like we're maybe losing the tournaments have a bit of a unique feel to them based on the counties they're in.
  • Options
    Can understand why countries are clubbing together, splitting costs etc, like Italy/Turkey for this, Spain/Portugal/Morocco for the World Cup etc, but it does feel like we're maybe losing the tournaments have a bit of a unique feel to them based on the counties they're in.
    True but with expanded tournaments these days, i think the multi-country hosts thing is here to stay.
  • Options
    True but with expanded tournaments these days, i think the multi-country hosts thing is here to stay.
    Yeah I think so too, can understand why countries don't want to try and hold 100 matches in a World Cup.
  • Options
    So Old Trafford, Stadium of Light, London Stadium and Croke Park are dropped from the shortlist of 14.

Old Trafford is surprising but the others make sense.
    Old Trafford is showing it's age badly - the Glazers haven't dug into their dividends to modernise it much, the Etihad is newer etc

Same for Everton's new ground I guess, Anfield is creaking a bit.

If you'd have said 10 years ago though that we'd have a bid and not include Old Trafford, Anfield or the Emirates it would have sounded crazy.
    What surprised me about Anfield is the Eufa will not consider it because it is only 105 metres in length, 4 metres 13 ft short of their minimum length!

I'll try and find the source of this.
  • Options
    I assume UEFA won't allow all 5 host nations to qualify automatically?

If that's the case then (no disrespect to NI) adding in a stadium in Belfast, that isn't even built yet and will have a capacity less than 35k seems a bit pointless.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    So Old Trafford, Stadium of Light, London Stadium and Croke Park are dropped from the shortlist of 14.

Old Trafford is surprising but the others make sense.
    Old Trafford is showing it's age badly - the Glazers haven't dug into their dividends to modernise it much, the Etihad is newer etc

Same for Everton's new ground I guess, Anfield is creaking a bit.

If you'd have said 10 years ago though that we'd have a bid and not include Old Trafford, Anfield or the Emirates it would have sounded crazy.
    What surprised me about Anfield is the Eufa will not consider it because it is only 105 metres in length, 4 metres 13 ft short of their minimum length!

I'll try and find the source of this.
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-anfield-euro-2028-uefa-26682028.amp
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I assume UEFA won't allow all 5 host nations to qualify automatically?

If that's the case then (no disrespect to NI) adding in a stadium in Belfast, that isn't even built yet and will have a capacity less than 35k seems a bit pointless.
    There is a suggestion that all five host nations will be required to go through qualifying, with two “reserve” spots being held for the best two hosts that don’t qualify automatically.

So if England, Scotland and Ireland all made it through the usual path then Wales and N.Ireland would get the reserve spots. If none of them made it through qualifying, then only two host nations would be involved via the reserve spots.
  • Options
    But it won’t really, will it. With the way the seedings work, England will get an easy group again and probably only one other country who may be competitive. 

I get the reasoning though. Playing friendlies, even if you get them against the top nations in their spare game slots, will never truly rest you in the build up to a tournament.