Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2028 - UK and Republic of Ireland to host Euro 2028

Comments

• So they could pick:

Russia - Well we all know about Russia
    Turkey - Have their fans have been forgiven for stabbing the English lads in the Champions League?
    UK - Have our fans been forgiven for storming Wembley Stadium at Euro 2020? - But only our fans are bad right
    Exactly. Going on only England fans cause trouble, when the World Cup was held in Russia and the one after this one is in Mexico!
  • Good for the UK economy and would be an enjoyable summer.

• The bid that concerns me there is Turkey, purely on the basis that I don’t think they’ve held a tournament before, so UEFA may look to give it to them.

Then again, the same could be said about all of the home nations (barring England/Scotland), so that could swing it back in our favour.

If the main objective is money (which I expect it could be), then UK & Ireland would be most profitable I imagine. 
  • Knowing Uefa they will probably give it to Russia after hosting a successful tournament in 2018. 
  • stonemuse said:
    They should give it to Russia if they get out of Ukraine.

Once they've spent money on the stadiums all the other countries should refuse to play there.
  • seth plum said:
    I wonder what assortment of ducks in a row would it take to hold the final at the 82,300 capacity Croke Park.
    I will be stunned, shocked & amazed if the GAA let football be played on the hallowed turf again 😳
  • iaitch said:
    stonemuse said:
    They should give it to Russia if they get out of Ukraine.

Once they've spent money on the stadiums all the other countries should refuse to play there.
    They wouldn’t have to spend any money on stadiums - they have everything in place after hosting the 2018 World Cup.

And I guarantee you people would still go. 
  • UK&I bid for 2028.

Italy bid for 2032.

Turkey and Russia bid for both 2028 and 2032.

I would imagine that both UK&I and Italy get the nod unless there are some dramatic upgrades to the Turkish bids. We should have the support of the Germans after we supported them for 2024.

I did think it odd that the media jumped the gun 24 hours early on announcing that there were no other bids.
  • They'll give it to Turkey. Then 6 months later someone will point out to them that it will be the hottest euros ever, and they'll move it to December.
  • Not sure what Northern Ireland could bring to the joint bid. Their largest stadium, Windsor Park, only holds 18,000.
  • Sponsored links:

• Mametz said:
    Not sure what Northern Ireland could bring to the joint bid. Their largest stadium, Windsor Park, only holds 18,000.
    Only possibility is the proposed new stadium at Casement Park but, like Croke Park, this is a GAA ground and would need the association to agree to allow football. It’s a potentially 35,000-38,000 capacity ground, but there are still a lot of hurdles to get through on the planning. 
  • If a developed Casement Park and Croke Park were somehow used in this Championship, I would see it less as cultural misappropriation and more that some forces have been at play encouraging collaboration and breaking down barriers.
    Would it be possible to also use Twickenham, Murrayfield and even a developed Thomond Park as well, the latter would bring the tournament to the West of Ireland?
  • There’s talk of using Páirc Uí Chaoimh 😳
    Seriously I’d be amazed if the GAA allow this.
    The hoops they had to go through to get the memorial game for Liam Millar played there were embarrassing.
    It would be brilliant mind you.
  • seth plum said:
    If a developed Casement Park and Croke Park were somehow used in this Championship, I would see it less as cultural misappropriation and more that some forces have been at play encouraging collaboration and breaking down barriers.
    Would it be possible to also use Twickenham, Murrayfield and even a developed Thomond Park as well, the latter would bring the tournament to the West of Ireland?
    Although I can see the point you are making, I don’t really see a need for Twickenham to be used. London already has three club grounds that hold about 60,000 in addition to Wembley. Murrayfield makes a stronger case as it is the only large Scottish stadium outside of Glasgow.
  • edited March 2022
    Two grounds minimum in each of the five countries would be excellent if at all possible. Might be difficult in Northern Ireland but should at least be attempted.

I would hate to see eight or ten English stadiums and then a ‘token’ option from each of the other countries.

Would love to see Murrayfield, Croke Park, Casement Park etc. involved if they work out a deal. New/unfamiliar venues would add a bit of something different to the event.
  • Wembley, Principality, Aviva and Hampden are locks, I'd imagine St. James', one of the Manchester grounds, WHL or London Stadium and Villa Park are too, then it's a question of where else they want to play, do they play a game in the West Country? Does Wales get a second stadium? Do Northern Ireland get a stadium at all? What about Scotland? All the biggest grounds are in Glasgow...

Personally, if you're using 16 stadiums (64 games in total meaning an average of 4 games a stadium) you'd need 2 in each country minimum, and then the other 8 spread across England but try and touch most of the country.

Scotland

Hampden Park
    Murrayfield

Wales

Principality Stadium
    Liberty Stadium

Republic of Ireland

Aviva Stadium
    Páirc Uí Chaoimh

Northern Ireland

Casement Park
    Windsor Park

England
    Wembley
    Tottenham Stadium
    St James' Park
    Anfield
    Old Trafford
    Villa Park
    Hillsborough
    St. Mary's

• It’s not just about the stadiums. It’s the transport, hotel and hospitality infrastructure too. 

I reckon it will be Hampden, Aviva & Principality and the rest of the stadiums in England. 
  • It's a football tournament so it should be played in football stadiums. There is no reason why 30000-40000 capacity stadiums can't be used in the group games. If Northern Ireland don't have a football stadium of this capacity then they don't get a match. 

I've always said that tournaments should only be given to countries that already have the football stadiums built at the bidding stage. This way, true football publics in true footballing countries get to see football tournaments in their country.
  • It's a football tournament so it should be played in football stadiums. There is no reason why 30000-40000 capacity stadiums can't be used in the group games. If Northern Ireland don't have a football stadium of this capacity then they don't get a match. 

I've always said that tournaments should only be given to countries that already have the football stadiums built at the bidding stage. This way, true football publics in true footballing countries get to see football tournaments in their country.
    So that would eliminate ever hosting a world cup in Asia, Africa, the Middle East and most South American countries ever again.

12 stadiums of 40000 or more at a minimum probably doesn't cover many places in the world

I don’t quite agree - sometimes giving it to countries that have clear, detailed plans around how they will invest in infrastructure (including stadiums) can create a really good case for awarding a major sporting tournament. Some sort of existing football history/culture should be a pre-requisite (doesn’t have to be England/Brazil levels, but tiny states in the desert is a dreadful idea). 

A tournament staged in the UK & Ireland using the stadiums of sports who most of the time don’t want anything to do with football is a ridiculous idea though. 

Anyway, like I said, it isn’t just the stadiums that matter. The boring bits around logistics, transport and accommodation are important factors in choosing host nations and venues. 
  • Sponsored links:

There's a lot of countries that would only be able to build suitable stadiums once they've been assured of the income from the World Cup.
  • There’s talk of using Páirc Uí Chaoimh 😳
    Seriously I’d be amazed if the GAA allow this.
    The hoops they had to go through to get the memorial game for Liam Millar played there were embarrassing.
    It would be brilliant mind you.
    They can’t even get a Cork v Kerry game on there so I can’t see them getting anything going for the Euros. Even if Ed Sheeran isn’t touring.

I long for the old days, when we had stadia. I can’t be doing with all this “stadiums” malarkey.  What next, bacteriums and datums?

I long for the old days, when we had stadia. I can’t be doing with all this “stadiums” malarkey.  What next, bacteriums and datums?
    Diddums. 🙂

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/stadium

https://grammarist.com/usage/stadiums-stadia/

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stadium

• sam3110 said:
    Wembley, Principality, Aviva and Hampden are locks, I'd imagine St. James', one of the Manchester grounds, WHL or London Stadium and Villa Park are too, then it's a question of where else they want to play, do they play a game in the West Country? Does Wales get a second stadium? Do Northern Ireland get a stadium at all? What about Scotland? All the biggest grounds are in Glasgow...

Personally, if you're using 16 stadiums (64 games in total meaning an average of 4 games a stadium) you'd need 2 in each country minimum, and then the other 8 spread across England but try and touch most of the country.

Scotland

Hampden Park
    Murrayfield

Wales

Principality Stadium
    Liberty Stadium

Republic of Ireland

Aviva Stadium
    Páirc Uí Chaoimh

Northern Ireland

Casement Park
    Windsor Park

England
    Wembley
    Tottenham Stadium
    St James' Park
    Anfield
    Old Trafford
    Villa Park
    Hillsborough
    St. Mary's

Hillsborough no way - it’s a total run down shithole now. 
  • iainment said:
    It's a football tournament so it should be played in football stadiums. There is no reason why 30000-40000 capacity stadiums can't be used in the group games. If Northern Ireland don't have a football stadium of this capacity then they don't get a match. 

Diddums. 🙂
    Shouldn't that be diddia?
  • sam3110 said:
    Wembley, Principality, Aviva and Hampden are locks, I'd imagine St. James', one of the Manchester grounds, WHL or London Stadium and Villa Park are too, then it's a question of where else they want to play, do they play a game in the West Country? Does Wales get a second stadium? Do Northern Ireland get a stadium at all? What about Scotland? All the biggest grounds are in Glasgow...

Scotland

Hampden Park
    Murrayfield

Wales

Principality Stadium
    Liberty Stadium

Republic of Ireland

Aviva Stadium
    Páirc Uí Chaoimh

Northern Ireland

Casement Park
    Windsor Park

England
    Wembley
    Tottenham Stadium
    St James' Park
    Anfield
    Old Trafford
    Villa Park
    Hillsborough
    St. Mary's

Hillsborough no way - it’s a total run down shithole now. 
    But it's massive.

So a massive run down shithole?
  • edited April 2022
    Wouldn't be surprised if Riverside or the Stadium of Light got it over Hillsborough. 

Both have hosted recent England games
  • edited November 2022