Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge United | Saturday 11th December 2021

Comments

• Options
    Gritty performance, we didn’t gel but the experienced pro’s got us through in tough conditions. A weeks rest for the next game so time to recharge the batteries and work on the training ground. Not the finished article but little steps forward against this typical L1 outfit 
  • Options
    Compared to Tuesdays game, our play weren’t nearly as it could’ve been, but the results speak for themselves really. 

Really impressed with Washington, his confidence on and off the ball has improved tons, and he’s still running his legs off every game for us. 

Lee let me down a little bit today, almost looked knackered at kick off, let alone towards the end of the game. 

Glad we’ve got a week to rest the legs cause we clearly need it badly. All in all a great result that’s definitely gonna make some teams a bit afraid to play us. 

COYR 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    Washington actually becoming a favourite of this decade for me.
    Give Jacko the job
    Corrected in line with my opinion. I've always liked him and wasn't happy when he was out of the team.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Cambridge reminded me of their John Beck team from all those years ago - horrible to play against, and the diving and play acting, don’t get me started on that…

We ground out a win in a match that was never going to be an epic

MoM Washington - put a shift in, with honourable mention for Pearce
    No team could these days be as bad as that Beck team. Disgusting team/club at that time. 

Poor passing today. Dunno if the conditions made us struggle. But the work rate was there and that always give you a chance in this league. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Good result even though it was more than a bit scrappy. We can go in with our heads held high that we battled hard, were the better side and deservedly took the points. As @Lordflashheart has said Cambridge were very Beckesque. They may be more skillful and less route one than the 'football' they were plying thirty years ago, but they still had the same aggy, niggly demeanour. Pushing, tugging, rolling around and moaning making up the major features of their performance. 

As for us, the centre backs were awesome. Famewo in particular had Smith in his back pocket all game. He was faster, stronger and considerably more skillful. All their man could do was moan at the ref, as if it were somehow against the rules for us to field a better player. Clare had another great game and at the other end of the pitch Washington was a real handful. We might not have passed it around with the same silky smoothness as Tuesday. But we were well worth our win. We'll played, lads.

One question, what happened to their fifth booking that disappeared from the scoreboard?
    Pretty sure they only had four bookings 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Awful game.

Shit ref.

Scummy oppo.

Two goals.

Three points.

Jacko Party Bus rolls ever onward.
    & clean sheet  :D
    Post duly updated.

😃
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Stig said:
    Good result even though it was more than a bit scrappy. We can go in with our heads held high that we battled hard, were the better side and deservedly took the points. As @Lordflashheart has said Cambridge were very Beckesque. They may be more skillful and less route one than the 'football' they were plying thirty years ago, but they still had the same aggy, niggly demeanour. Pushing, tugging, rolling around and moaning making up the major features of their performance. 

As for us, the centre backs were awesome. Famewo in particular had Smith in his back pocket all game. He was faster, stronger and considerably more skillful. All their man could do was moan at the ref, as if it were somehow against the rules for us to field a better player. Clare had another great game and at the other end of the pitch Washington was a real handful. We might not have passed it around with the same silky smoothness as Tuesday. But we were well worth our win. We'll played, lads.

One question, what happened to their fifth booking that disappeared from the scoreboard?
    Pretty sure they only had four bookings 
    Yeah, I can’t say I saw five bookings, but I'm sure at one point there were five on the screen. Perhaps someone in the comms team had a fat finger moment and then hurriedly corrected it. Either that or the pint of tap cleaner that I knocked back on the Covered End concourse before the game went straight to my head.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    9 bookings, 5 for us. Funny old game, thought we were gonna blow it at the end. As others have said, they are the games we need to be winning. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A win is a win...in any respect. Cant have the we "just" won stuff. Bottom line is we deserved the win as we kept a clean sheet and scored 2 goals, we can always play better sure. Enjoy it for what it is...another 3 points. 
  • Options
    I bloody loved it!
  • Options
    Great win
    What was up with the lights though, bit lame
  • Options
    The lights were to wake the player up and ref from what was going on...diving and being conned. Thought it was quite witty.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Guess we’re counting Bristol Rovers from last season as well..
  • Options
    Now 8-1 with Bet365 for a top 6 finish - very tempting.
  • Options
    On the train home. Didnt play well but won. Thought the back 3 were excellent. When we actually got the ball down and played I thought we looked a threat.
    Rubbish ref.
    Dogged performance and a result we definitely wouldn't have got under NA.
    Didn't think the atmosphere was great either. Hated the phone lights on as well. All felt a bit fake.
    Delighted with the win.