Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge United | Saturday 11th December 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Am I alone in finding the Elliott Lee chant utterly weird - he’s playing in a team in Div 3 of the English Football League - I mean, seriously, the white Pele ???

I'm pretty sure every football crowd in the country has sung on many occasions the chant that ends 'We are by far the best team the world has ever seen'!

Edit: That'll teach me to read the whole thread before commenting - seems I was beaten to it by pretty much every poster!!
  • Options
    0%    Top 2
    20% Play offs 
    70%      7th-12th
    10%  13th-20th

the teams at the top are holding form , no room for error from us ..think we’ll end up just short 

• Options

Take a bow @WashingtonConor 6 goals in his last 7 league outings

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Pride. Passion. Jacko.

• Options
    What a team. Enjoy your weekend!

• Options
    Thank you for your incredible support, once again, this afternoon!
    Claim another assist...

• Options
    Not at our best today but nice to grind a win out sign of a good team shout out to @macgillivray93 for some top saves
  • Options
    Scrappy game - but at least we scrapped - which wouldn't have happened under Adkins.

Cambridge are in yer face, looking to steal any advantage, be it fair means or foul.  They certainly kidded the ref today who pulled off a fair Trevor Kettle impression.
    Any one remember the late 70's/early 80's Cambridge (with Tom Finney)....sounds like they haven't changed much.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    1. I expected Macca to have a Scottish accent. Wrong!

2. That interviewer is very professional. Well done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Craig is another of our players who speaks well
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Craig is another of our players who speaks well
    I was literally about to mention this after watching about the first 20 seconds of that interview.

Being a little bit socially awkward myself I sometimes struggle to listen to player interviews, because it does not come natural to many players. However this season with Clare, Stockley, MacGillivray etc, it’s been easier for sure.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Stig said:
    Off_it said:
    Danepak said:
    I actually thought it was a very very good game. Sure, we weren’t up to our best. Cambridge were dangerous and it was tense. Not polished, but a battle. Loved it!
    I agree with that.

I enjoyed it, particularly because we won. I said to my old man on the way out that winning a battle like that when we're not at our best, where we could easily have lost, says a lot more about the qualities and character of the players and team than winning a game when we're firing on all cylinders.

Also, I actually thought Cambridge looked like a fairly decent team who knocked it about well at times. Anyone comparing that team to the one from Beck's days couldn't have actually seen the Beck team play. They had a long throw and the centre forward put himself about a bit, but that's where the similarities ended.

All in all a great 3 points.
    I certainly did. I saw them play too many times for my liking. The comparison wasn't with Beck's midfieldless route-one tedium, the Cambridge of today actually look like they've got quite a useful midfield. I was particularly impressed with James Brophy, yesterday. The comparison was with the horrible niggly nature of the team. Barging, shirt-pilling, grappling and then when any one stood up to them, rolling around trying to get opposition players sent off. Cambridge may be deemed a southern city courtesy of its position this side of the imaginary line between The Wash and The Severn Estuary, but mentality the club is more akin to the likes of Hull Kingston Rovers. Oh yes, they may have a different style of play nowadays but the legacy of John Beck lives on. 

They'd obviously done their homework and knew we were on form but i don't think they needed to resort to those tactics. When they 'played' they were one of the better teams we've seen at home.
    I think some opponents believe this is the key to stopping us playing.

They've watched our games when we've simply outplayed better teams.
    And they've watched the Morecambe and Shrewsbury matches where they parked the bus, stopped us getting in behind them and trying to pick us off with set pieces and on the counter.

We're going to come across this increasingly.

Yesterday, Cambridge were first of all going to stop us playing, get in our faces and unsettle us by any means necessary. It was ugly and they were a tenacious and at times nasty opponent.

We stood up to it and edged past them because we won our battles and yet showed that little extra quality.

Some people seem to think we didn't play well etc .... but you know, we dug in and got the result. Promotion quality teams don't roll over the opposition 5-0 every game, they have to grind out these hard fought games; at times they have to win ugly.

We are playing like a promotion quality team. I'll take that.

And Gateshead, who gave us far more of a game than Ipswich

L1 is a tough division, as you have to be able to play both the big boys with their Championship players, and the battling lower league sides who give 100% and are well drilled to make life difficult.
  • Options
    Bang on the money Oggy and it’s stating the obvious but you can only play as well as the opposition will allow and although some of our performance levels were down, they made it very difficult for us. An unrecognisable team spirit and determination from 2 months ago saw us through to victory.
  • Options

Apologies if posted elsewhere....but😁

• Options
    Please please please never get your phone torches out again. Its football not a bloody Steps concert.... 
    Quite right.

As the greatest live performer of all time, Michael Hutchence, used to request before playing 'Never Tear Us Apart' in concert:

'No waving and no cigarette lighters please'
  • Options
    Lee's been poor (by his standards) the last 3 matches. I'd put it down to tiredness, and hopefully the break this week can have him back at his best for Plymouth.
  • Options
    Scrappy in places, typical L1 game. Ref all over the place and the East Stand Lino was Kettle in disguise!
    Cambridge finishing was woeful, and MacG kept us in it.
    All that said to grind out a win is what it takes to move up the league.

To the free-loaders, take your seats a 2.50pm NOT 3.05, and start f"'king about looking at seat numbers with hot dogs chips and a coffee in your hands. Don't bring kids who are bored stiff after 15mins, and too the large lady in the green anorak in B block row E try on to drop your guts every 5 mins! YOU STUNK!

PS TOMMY GIVE JACKO THE JOB!!!!!
    Well said.