Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ipswich 7th December- No Streaming

edited November 2021 in General Charlton
Ipswich have sold out their 3,000 plus allocation so how about cancelling the stream(Bar the overseas people and individuals who get around it with dodgy links) and getting behind the boys in the flesh. 

The noise must drive the boys on

Comments

• ct_addick said:
    Nope. Paid for my season ticket and fully expect to see every game unless its shown here in USA and they can't show it. Love watching Scott, Curbs and the guests. Best thing the club has done in a long while.  
    No offence but you live in North America and watch it regardless. I’m talking about the individuals who will pay a. Tenner  and sit indoors 
  • shirty5 said:
    ct_addick said:
    Nope. Paid for my season ticket and fully expect to see every game unless its shown here in USA and they can't show it. Love watching Scott, Curbs and the guests. Best thing the club has done in a long while.  
    No offence but you live in North America and watch it regardless. I’m talking about the individuals who will pay a. Tenner  and sit indoors 
    Oh you mean the people that use a VPN......don't really see a way around that. Can understand that if they are old and immobile but if I were living there I would be at every game.
  • ct_addick said:
    shirty5 said:
    ct_addick said:
    Oh you mean the people that use a VPN......don't really see a way around that. Can understand that if they are old and immobile but if I were living there I would be at every game.
    Fair play. It least you have some morals 
  • I really doubt streaming has a massive impact on a Tuesday night attendance. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    ct_addick said:
    Why?  I can't make a 500 mile round trip on on a Tuesday night.  Its either £10 in the clubs sky rocket or nothing.  What do you, or anyone else gain if I can't legally watch it? 
    Before Covid kicked in 18 months ago how else would you have watched a Charlton game then midweek. Was that facility available after we got relegated to League One.
  • Sponsored links:

• Streaming is here. You can’t pick and choose to stream or not to stream. 

• MrOneLung said:
    Streaming is here. You can’t pick and choose to stream or not to stream. 

The owner is more than happy to take a hit on match day ticket revenue today, so how about going the opposite and scraping the steam to see how much more money he can make through the turnstiles 
  • Streaming doesn’t make any, or very little difference. It’s the same with music, you can stream everything now, record sales are dead in the water; but live shows are still showing growth; because it’s not an experience that can be replicated any other way other than being there.
    if someone wants to go to the game then they will.
  • edited November 2021
    shirty5 said:
    Ipswich have sold out their 3,000 plus allocation so how about cancelling the stream(Bar the overseas people and individuals who get around it with dodgy links) and getting behind the boys in the flesh. 

The noise must drive the boys on
    Sorry. Let me get this straight. You want to make the match unavailable to supporters online to force fans to turn up in person? 

It costs me around £300 to watch Charlton. Train, hotel in London,  the most rapacious tourist location in the UK. 

I assume you have a top price season ticket?

• How many fans do you actually know who now watch a stream instead of going to a home match by choice?
    I do not know of one personally..
  • Redrobo said:
    How many fans do you actually know who now watch a stream instead of going to a home match by choice?
    I do not know of one personally..
    I'm probably going to stay at home & stream it, but that's because my recent eye surgery has meant that driving at night is not great.
  • shirty5 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    ct_addick said:
    Why?  I can't make a 500 mile round trip on on a Tuesday night.  Its either £10 in the clubs sky rocket or nothing.  What do you, or anyone else gain if I can't legally watch it? 
    Before Covid kicked in 18 months ago how else would you have watched a Charlton game then midweek. Was that facility available after we got relegated to League One.
    From 2017, by signing up to the opposition's iFollow service as outlined in this thread:
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/78300/streaming-games-from-outside-the-u-k-2017-18/p7
    Not that I did that myself for various reasons, but plenty of other people did. I vaguely remember that when stream availability was widened after lockdown some people had multiple iFollow registrations that they had to cancel because they'd signed up to various other clubs to watch our games when we played them.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2021
    ct_addick said:
    shirty5 said:
    ct_addick said:
    Its a midweek game... You dont need a VPN to watch us. 
  • shirty5 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    ct_addick said:
    I simply didn't.  Although all our championship midweek games were in the sky red button. 
  • edited November 2021
    AndyG said:
    Some people live in a dreamworld !!! Actually having the front to knock fellow supporters who have no chance of getting to the game on a Tuesday evening or every saturday. I get to 1 game a month at the valley ( was there today ) and I bring my misses and 2 kids it's a 5 hour journey if we are lucky then a hotel then 5 hours home. I stream every game I cant get to but u seriously think I'm cheating the club ???? I will be at Morcombe on Tuesday and Shrewsbury on Saturday  will you @shirty5 ? Fairplay if you are but dont start knocking fans who due to geographic reasons cant get to the valley mate
    Agree completely. Up until age 18 I lived within 3 miles of The Valley. Then life happened. In the intervening 48 years I have at times lived as close as 50-60 miles away when I have had a season ticket but other times hundreds and then thousands of miles away. People just move around more than they did 50-60 years ago. But I have always remained a supporter and I will try to get my “ fix” even if I can’t get to games so easily. My wife and I were dancing around the living room yesterday after the goals went in. 

Football is constantly having to readjust its relationship with the screening of the game. Live league games showing on Sky on Sunday afternoons was seen as a revolution. Since then we have had changes such as games screened on Monday evenings, Saturday lunchtimes, Saturday evenings, further competition from BT Sport and Amazon. Streaming services are similarly evolving with iFollow, Charlton TV. I think that eventually the EFL will relax their rules regarding domestic screening of games at 3pm on a Saturday and there will be no need then for UK based supporters to subscribe under cover of a European VPN.
  • AndyG said:
    Some people live in a dreamworld !!! Actually having the front to knock fellow supporters who have no chance of getting to the game on a Tuesday evening or every saturday. I get to 1 game a month at the valley ( was there today ) and I bring my misses and 2 kids it's a 5 hour journey if we are lucky then a hotel then 5 hours home. I stream every game I cant get to but u seriously think I'm cheating the club ???? I will be at Morcombe on Tuesday and Shrewsbury on Saturday  will you @shirty5 ? Fairplay if you are but dont start knocking fans who due to geographic reasons cant get to the valley mate
    The fixtures came out in June which gives plenty of time for people to plan what games they can and can’t attend. If you now live so far away from the Valley, that clearly makes it more difficult for you to get there.

However midweek home games this season have been poorly attended with the AC and West stands particularly sparse. Streaming has an effect on those gates, where people have the option to sit indoors and watch it. When it would be more beneficial to local businesses (Pubs, Take aways, Burger Bars) and the club (Food, the fans bar, Shop) for people to attend especially if the owner wants his Fill the Valley initiative to be fulfilled.

And I wasn’t talking about Saturday games, so unless you live overseas then there is no possible way you can watch it on a steam. Unless it’s one of those VPN loopholes, which the Football authorities will eventually get around to put an end to.
  • I don’t think this issue is about forcing people to attend, but there is a conundrum here for EFL clubs, like it or not. The availability of cheap streaming services which can be watched by multiple people will impact what they can charge for season tickets and match tickets over time. It can’t do otherwise. The question is how much and whether there are ways to mitigate it.
    Eventually admission fees and Season Tickets will go up, as these owners have not got a bottomless pit of money. 
  • ct_addick said:
    shirty5 said:
    ct_addick said:
    Midweek games are £10 for anyone to view as they're not restricted by football broadcasting rules.
  • What a sad, selfish opening post by someone whose views I normally respect. 

You can see from this board we now have hundreds of supporters who because of work, retirement, love or other reasons now live miles away from SE London. There's no way the vast majority of those people are going to go on a midweek evening. But I suspect many still want to watch the game and are happy to pay to do so.

Throw in many more people like myself who no longer want to go to midweek games as getting home well after midnight is no longer an attractive option and banning streaming is simply depriving people like me of watching a game I'm more than happy to pay to do.

In fact, I'll go further. People who think streaming can be stopped are complete Luddites - they remind me of printers in the 1980s who thought computers would never replace their type setting skills. It's not going away. Sure there is a debate to be had about its cost and the time it operates (the ban on Saturday 3 oclock fixtures is absurd given VPNs) but it is here to stay.

As others have said, if you want to go to the game you will. Watching live in a stadium with others cannot be beaten. But for those of us who can't get to games for one reason or another streaming is a very good alternative. 
    This forum is about debates and opinions. Cause someone has a different opinion on an issue, it does not they are right or wrong.

However, to say I’m being sad and selfish is harsh when someone has a different view