Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ipswich 7th December- No Streaming

Comments

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    ct_addick said:
    Nope. Paid for my season ticket and fully expect to see every game unless its shown here in USA and they can't show it. Love watching Scott, Curbs and the guests. Best thing the club has done in a long while.  
    No offence but you live in North America and watch it regardless. I’m talking about the individuals who will pay a. Tenner  and sit indoors 
    Why?  I can't make a 500 mile round trip on on a Tuesday night.  Its either £10 in the clubs sky rocket or nothing.  What do you, or anyone else gain if I can't legally watch it? 
    Before Covid kicked in 18 months ago how else would you have watched a Charlton game then midweek. Was that facility available after we got relegated to League One.
    Listened in back then for midweek games and as I did before would make one or two midweeks a season.
  • Options
    Ipswich fortunately don't charge what they use to do as far as i can see but for Rotherham fans going on a tuesday night will still have to fork out 27 quid to get into the tractor boys stadium. i don't know what we charge Ipswich fans though. 
  • Options
    Ipswich fortunately don't charge what they use to do as far as i can see but for Rotherham fans going on a tuesday night will still have to fork out 27 quid to get into the tractor boys stadium. i don't know what we charge Ipswich fans though. 
    Prices for Ipswich fans to the Valley next month 

Adults - £23
    65+ - £18
    U21 - £18
    Student - £14
    U18 - £11
    U11 - £5
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    What a sad, selfish opening post by someone whose views I normally respect. 

You can see from this board we now have hundreds of supporters who because of work, retirement, love or other reasons now live miles away from SE London. There's no way the vast majority of those people are going to go on a midweek evening. But I suspect many still want to watch the game and are happy to pay to do so.

Throw in many more people like myself who no longer want to go to midweek games as getting home well after midnight is no longer an attractive option and banning streaming is simply depriving people like me of watching a game I'm more than happy to pay to do.

In fact, I'll go further. People who think streaming can be stopped are complete Luddites - they remind me of printers in the 1980s who thought computers would never replace their type setting skills. It's not going away. Sure there is a debate to be had about its cost and the time it operates (the ban on Saturday 3 oclock fixtures is absurd given VPNs) but it is here to stay.

As others have said, if you want to go to the game you will. Watching live in a stadium with others cannot be beaten. But for those of us who can't get to games for one reason or another streaming is a very good alternative. 
    This forum is about debates and opinions. Cause someone has a different opinion on an issue, it does not they are right or wrong.

However, to say I’m being sad and selfish is harsh when someone has a different view
    OK. Fair point. Apologies for my opening sentence. 

But I'm still annoyed that you would even consider trying to stop a long standing fan like myself who just can't get to mid-week games anymore being able to stream the game and enjoy it. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    ct_addick said:
    Nope. Paid for my season ticket and fully expect to see every game unless its shown here in USA and they can't show it. Love watching Scott, Curbs and the guests. Best thing the club has done in a long while.  
    No offence but you live in North America and watch it regardless. I’m talking about the individuals who will pay a. Tenner  and sit indoors 
    Why?  I can't make a 500 mile round trip on on a Tuesday night.  Its either £10 in the clubs sky rocket or nothing.  What do you, or anyone else gain if I can't legally watch it? 
    Before Covid kicked in 18 months ago how else would you have watched a Charlton game then midweek. Was that facility available after we got relegated to League One.
    Like Cafc43v3r, I wouldn't have watched it. But how does that make any difference to to the numbers who attend. On 7th December, I'll either stream the game or not watch it at all. One of those gives money to the club, the other doesn't. 
  • Options
    The debate would be a bit more calm, if we had some figures for the streaming viewership. AFAIK, we have nothing.

I'd be very surprised indeed if more than 500 UK based fans bought a stream for the last midweek home game, and a lot of them, as we've seen here, would not be able to easily attend because of where they live.

But of course like everyone else I'm just guessing.
  • Options
    Every time this, and other related, subject comes up it ends up in the same conclusion. 

With almost no exceptions everyone that takes the time and effort to read, and post, on a Charlton forum would go to every game at the Valley, if they could.   "We" aren't the elastic fan base.  It's location, work, money, health, kids, countless other commitments that stop us attending.

Some people make the deliberate decision to live near the valley, only take a job that allows them to attend, forgo family life, drive 100s of miles and get home at 3am, spend all of their disposable income or countless other things.  Some people have different priorities and different circumstances. 

I moved away during the Premiership years where the sky games, local away games and trips home made quite a few games a season.  Now with the internet coverage I am as engaged as I was went I used to go to every game, home and away.  Legal streaming or not.  If I have moved away 20 years earlier, everything else being equal, I would probably have started watching someone else and drifted away from Charlton completely. 
  • Options
    My question is 
    Should you be able to stream the ,Ipswich game for half the price it cost for a ticket to the game?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    clb74 said:
    My question is 
    Should you be able to stream the ,Ipswich game for half the price it cost for a ticket to the game?
    Make it same price as a ticket 
    Still think the EFL should do this and if so, just do away with the whole media blackout at 3pm. 
  • Options
    Since I moved house 8 years ago I have been unable to get a train connection home to kent without going into London and back out so I stopped attending mid week games long before covid and Charlton TV.

So what a breath of fresh air Charlton TV has been and as a game by game purchaser of home tickets the club has certainly made more money out of me by providing this excellent service for mid week matches. I agree with posters above, I'd happily pay face value ticket prices to watch the stream. 

Whilst I don't agree with Shirty on this, I think she/he comes from a good place intent wise in trying to ensure we get more atmosphere at the valley like yesterday. And that is what will make the whole issue of streaming every match such a conundrum when the next efl broadcasting rights come up for renewal.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    My question is 
    That is a fair question and it is the sort of question that should be being asked, not whether streaming should continue. 

MrOneLung said:
    clb74 said:
    My question is 
    Still think the EFL should do this and if so, just do away with the whole media blackout at 3pm. 
    Again, the media blackout at 3pm is something else that should be being looked at. 

The technology is here. It is not going away. Its time for an honest debate on how you use it for the good of the clubs and fans who for one reason or another cannot attend games. Just saying ban it is such an unrealistic option. 

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    clb74 said:
    My question is 
    But how do you make it the same price as the right tickets?  If Mr, Mrs and the two little addicks watch it or 1 senior should they pay the same price? 
  • Options
    Just to be clear I neither attend games or stream them. I am out and about running after the kids at weekends. I follow us via this site and the match thread. I think the stream price should be same as ticket in say North Lower - would encourage people to go rather than just stream from a price point view. 

• Options
    Can anyone genuinely come up with a situation where a fit and well supporter over 18 living within 10 - 15 miles of the Valley actually decides to sit at home watching the stream rather than going to the game.

How does it work? Do they invite their mates round with some beers and sit in the living room round the TV?  Maybe there's a few dozen like this but I just don't see it. 

Of course, the further you live from the valley, the more tempting it is to stay at home. But  many of these supporters could not attend anyway with or without a stream. The stream then becomes extra revenue.

I believe this debate is really important in the longer term. Smaller clubs will only  survive by making sure their games are easily available to watch on TV in the same way that anyone can follow the big clubs' games on TV.

Kid's will never become 'fanatical ' about a club like Charlton if they can't even see half the games while they can watch the complete Liverpool 'season box set' live via Sky etc. 

In other words, the fact that I can now watch ALL Charlton's matches on TV means that I am probably MORE likely to attend matches (home and away).

Slightly counter-intuitive, I know,  but I believe that Thomas and hopefully other owners are coming to see it my way.   
    I can, but they almost certainly don't spend their free time posting on this site.  They probably go for football for a fiver and some big games.

The scenario you mention is highly possible but not amongst people that spend a considerable time supporting/moaning about the club on the Internet. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Can anyone genuinely come up with a situation where a fit and well supporter over 18 living within 10 - 15 miles of the Valley actually decides to sit at home watching the stream rather than going to the game.

How does it work? Do they invite their mates round with some beers and sit in the living room round the TV?  Maybe there's a few dozen like this but I just don't see it. 

Of course, the further you live from the valley, the more tempting it is to stay at home. But  many of these supporters could not attend anyway with or without a stream. The stream then becomes extra revenue.

I believe this debate is really important in the longer term. Smaller clubs will only  survive by making sure their games are easily available to watch on TV in the same way that anyone can follow the big clubs' games on TV.

Kid's will never become 'fanatical ' about a club like Charlton if they can't even see half the games while they can watch the complete Liverpool 'season box set' live via Sky etc. 

In other words, the fact that I can now watch ALL Charlton's matches on TV means that I am probably MORE likely to attend matches (home and away).

Slightly counter-intuitive, I know,  but I believe that Thomas and hopefully other owners are coming to see it my way.   
    In answer to your first question, don’t underestimate the effect of cold weather in mid-winter, especially now we have so many midweek games in the coldest months. 

We are not going backwards, we have to adapt. It makes zero sense to force people to travel to Crewe in January if they want to see the game, but how do we protect Crewe’s income?

I think if you looked at Charlton’s midweek gates and the streaming revenue you’d find there is a problem already (Accrington was a tiny crowd for a reason, but Rotherham, which was under a thousand more home fans?). However, it’s not just caused by streaming.

All I’d say is that a proper piece of work needs doing around this, not just a blanket lifting of the Saturday watershed because it suits fans on the day. And while broadcast TV no doubt builds support for elite clubs, I don’t see streaming doing the same for Charlton outside Charlton households.
  • Options

In answer to your first question, don’t underestimate the effect of cold weather in mid-winter, especially now we have so many midweek games in the coldest months. 

We are not going backwards, we have to adapt. It makes zero sense to force people to travel to Crewe in January if they want to see the game, but how do we protect Crewe’s income?

I think if you looked at Charlton’s midweek gates and the streaming revenue you’d find there is a problem already (Accrington was a tiny crowd for a reason, but Rotherham, which was under a thousand more home fans?). However, it’s not just caused by streaming.

All I’d say is that a proper piece of work needs doing around this, not just a blanket lifting of the Saturday watershed because it suits fans on the day. And while broadcast TV no doubt builds support for elite clubs, I don’t see streaming doing the same for Charlton outside Charlton households.
    Can clubs still choose not to play on Saturday at 3pm?  I know Southend and Tranmere tried it a long time ago.

Not that it's relevant really. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Can clubs still choose not to play on Saturday at 3pm?  I know Southend and Tranmere tried it a long time ago.

Not that it's relevant really. 
    And Torquay, for years. I think they can by agreement with the opposition, but it doesn’t work.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    clb74 said:
    My question is 
    And yes I would pay the same price as a ticket to stream it. They are my team and if that is what it would cost to watch them without being at the ground, so be it.
  • Options
    The question is 
    Would you rather try and get more fans in the ground or make the games more accessible through legal streams in the future?
    If we happen to legally stream in the future I would probably only attend half the home games
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    clb74 said:
    My question is 
    And yes I would pay the same price as a ticket to stream it. They are my team and if that is what it would cost to watch them without being at the ground, so be it.
    I think that probably has to be part of the way forward, even though some people won’t like it.
  • Options

People don't go to see Charlton at the Valley on Tuesday nights because they have better things to do. Not sure that watching a stream of Charlton on TV is one of them!

For many the possible options (in order of preference) on a cold Tuesday night are 

a Stay in a warm pub with your mates after work - maybe go for a pizza.

b Go and see a film or a gig at the O2 or somewhere - maybe go for a pizza.

c Head down to the Valley to see Charlton lose. 

d Head home and sit own your own in the kitchen watching Charlton lose on your computer. 

Option c obviously becomes a lot more attractive when Charlton are playing well and the weather is fine but I think the existence of streaming is irrelevant to that  decision.

• Options
    Would you rather watch the game live through a gap in the fence or on Charlton Tv at home?
  • Options
    Kips said:
    Since I moved house 8 years ago I have been unable to get a train connection home to kent without going into London and back out so I stopped attending mid week games long before covid and Charlton TV.

So what a breath of fresh air Charlton TV has been and as a game by game purchaser of home tickets the club has certainly made more money out of me by providing this excellent service for mid week matches. I agree with posters above, I'd happily pay face value ticket prices to watch the stream. 

Whilst I don't agree with Shirty on this, I think she/he comes from a good place intent wise in trying to ensure we get more atmosphere at the valley like yesterday. And that is what will make the whole issue of streaming every match such a conundrum when the next efl broadcasting rights come up for renewal.
    Bums on seats creates more atmosphere as seen yesterday. As highlighted on Page 12 of the latest edition of VOTV, the last 2 midweek home games against Accrington and Rotherham attracted between 7 and 8000 home fans. 

Granted you always get loads of no shows from Season ticket holders. That has nothing to do with streaming. It’s always been the case for many many years. 

However, when you get a buzzing noise like that from over 20000 home fans, and then the next home gave there is only 8000 there. 1) It goes to show it will be hard for the owner to fulfill his packed out crowd. 2) Someone in the commercial area needs to think how do we address these questions and do we have a solution to it
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Kips said:

Bums on seats creates more atmosphere as seen yesterday. As highlighted on Page 12 of the latest edition of VOTV, the last 2 midweek home games against Accrington and Rotherham attracted between 7 and 8000 home fans. 

Granted you always get loads of no shows from Season ticket holders. That has nothing to do with streaming. It’s always been the case for many many years. 

However, when you get a buzzing noise like that from over 20000 home fans, and then the next home gave there is only 8000 there. 1) It goes to show it will be hard for the owner to fulfill his packed out crowd. 2) Someone in the commercial area needs to think how do we address these questions and do we have a solution to it
    Football, and football fans, have always had a strange relationship with TV.  Especially English football.    I am not entirely sure why, I think the deep rooted problem is an identity crisis. I am not sure anyone is really sure what they are buying, or selling.