Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

COVID and overseas travel

Comments

• Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    ads said:
    In Ibiza no checks coming in and have to do a negative before leaving and you do it yourself obs don’t stick the stick all the way done your throat. Something about a Day 2 test getting home but pretty sure no one will follow that up 
    In theory that test in Ibiza isn't sufficient for returning to the UK as it isn't an effective test. A friend who is a travel consultant did theirs before leaving Mallorca and you had to do it on zoom or whatever so they see the test is done by the right person and properly.

My understanding is the day 2 tests ARE being followed up - don;' risk a £500 fine for the sake of a £50 test!

That said, for the Reading Festival you either need to have proof you are double vaccinated more than 14 days or a negative lateral flow test - the lateral flow test could have been done by anyone and may not have even been anywhere near tonsils or up anyone's nose; that's not going to be abused now is it?!
    We paid £28 for a day 2 test which seems like the market rate. Day 2 + 9 tests as required from amber countries were around £50.

The tests were posted to us, we did them at home in about 5 minutes and posted them back. We got the results in three days after posting (both negative) along with a certificate by email.

althougg we have not received any follow up calls, we did have to input our unique tests ID into the passenger locator form which was required before we flew back or we didn’t get on the plane. So I would also recommend organising one. 
    What company was that with, as am seeing £48 the minimum at the mo?
    https://www.expert-medicals.co.uk/

Green list or fully vaccinated from amber country day 2 kits £28
    whatever you do don't use that company, check the trustpilot reviews.  had a day 2 with them, arrived 10 days after ordering, results came back 2 weeks later, absolute waste of time!
    Ordered mine at the weekend, got a message this morning saying it will be delivered today via DPD. Have put it off until Friday, hopefully will turn up then! 
    Well, no problems at all using the Expert Medicals day 2 test reference number getting back into the country. Let's just see if it turns up tomorrow. 
    Be grateful to know how things go. Off to Spain in a fortnight and not inclined to pay anymore than necessary for this Day2 PCR test farce. As long as I get the reference code for getting the flight back not that bothered about what happens afterwards. Anybody know what the actual follow up by the ‘authorities’ is in terms of checks on the timing etc of the test results?
    I posted earlier that they came off the approved list yesterday. That will be why people have been ok using then up until now, but noot on the approvedist from today.
    But there doesn’t seem to be anything that says Express Medicals no longer “meet the minimum standard”. So I assume they can still used?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    ://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58440649

Number 3
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    Chaz Hill said:
    ads said:
    In Ibiza no checks coming in and have to do a negative before leaving and you do it yourself obs don’t stick the stick all the way done your throat. Something about a Day 2 test getting home but pretty sure no one will follow that up 
    In theory that test in Ibiza isn't sufficient for returning to the UK as it isn't an effective test. A friend who is a travel consultant did theirs before leaving Mallorca and you had to do it on zoom or whatever so they see the test is done by the right person and properly.

My understanding is the day 2 tests ARE being followed up - don;' risk a £500 fine for the sake of a £50 test!

That said, for the Reading Festival you either need to have proof you are double vaccinated more than 14 days or a negative lateral flow test - the lateral flow test could have been done by anyone and may not have even been anywhere near tonsils or up anyone's nose; that's not going to be abused now is it?!
    We paid £28 for a day 2 test which seems like the market rate. Day 2 + 9 tests as required from amber countries were around £50.

The tests were posted to us, we did them at home in about 5 minutes and posted them back. We got the results in three days after posting (both negative) along with a certificate by email.

althougg we have not received any follow up calls, we did have to input our unique tests ID into the passenger locator form which was required before we flew back or we didn’t get on the plane. So I would also recommend organising one. 

whatever you do don't use that company, check the trustpilot reviews.  had a day 2 with them, arrived 10 days after ordering, results came back 2 weeks later, absolute waste of time!
    Ordered mine at the weekend, got a message this morning saying it will be delivered today via DPD. Have put it off until Friday, hopefully will turn up then! 
    Well, no problems at all using the Expert Medicals day 2 test reference number getting back into the country. Let's just see if it turns up tomorrow. 
    Be grateful to know how things go. Off to Spain in a fortnight and not inclined to pay anymore than necessary for this Day2 PCR test farce. As long as I get the reference code for getting the flight back not that bothered about what happens afterwards. Anybody know what the actual follow up by the ‘authorities’ is in terms of checks on the timing etc of the test results?
    I posted earlier that they came off the approved list yesterday. That will be why people have been ok using then up until now, but noot on the approvedist from today.
    But there doesn’t seem to be anything that says Express Medicals no longer “meet the minimum standard”. So I assume they can still used?
    https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/08/travel-news-cheap-pcr-covid-19-test-discount-randox-express-test-c19-expert-medicals/?fbclid=IwAR2Io9As-GFoTHDLXjboRbegRTKQrrowl7QaMJ7Ea9ZqXYKB7VCjLKPREKk

Should I book a covid test with Expert Medicals? Is it a fully accredited provider? No. Expert Medicals was removed from the government’s list of Covid-19 testing firms for travel on 2 September. It is still legally allowed to sell tests but we recommend only booking with firms that are on the official government list.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/08/travel-news-cheap-pcr-covid-19-test-discount-randox-express-test-c19-expert-medicals/ - Which?
  • Options
    ://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58440649

Number 3
    Cheers for the link. Great so I’m going to have to pay even more to some other bunch of ‘cowboys’  :/
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    I hope they get fined for taking the piss whilst making £s
  • Options
    The Government should be held to account for giving accreditation to cowboy companies. 
  • Options
    The Government should be held to account for giving accreditation to cowboy companies. 
    I don't suppose there was a precedent with it being a new situation/requirement. But at least they have removed the accreditation - even if it means I'll have to pay more!
  • Options
    I’ve got a spare expert Medicals PCR test kit if anyone wants one. My original provider coronafocus unfortunately failed to provide me with the code I needed to fly home. Expert medical immediately provided me with the code which allowed me to check in 5 minutes before checkin closed.

coronafocus did provide the kit on day 2 for both my girlfriend and I, we had booked separately as our outbound (turns out totally unnecessary) PCR tests needed to be taken in London and Bristol as I was away in the uk.

anyway, coronafocus came good with the test and test result for day 2, I have a certificate, it has not been asked for. 

Expert medical have sent their kit which remains unused. While they may be totally shit at testing they are very good at hi big you the code you need to travel. 
  • Options
    I don't suppose there was a precedent with it being a new situation/requirement. But at least they have removed the accreditation - even if it means I'll have to pay more!
    I believe companies had to self declare that they met the Government's minimum standards, there should have been proper oversight of what they were doing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’ve got a spare expert Medicals PCR test kit if anyone wants one. My original provider coronafocus unfortunately failed to provide me with the code I needed to fly home. Expert medical immediately provided me with the code which allowed me to check in 5 minutes before checkin closed.

coronafocus did provide the kit on day 2 for both my girlfriend and I, we had booked separately as our outbound (turns out totally unnecessary) PCR tests needed to be taken in London and Bristol as I was away in the uk.

anyway, coronafocus came good with the test and test result for day 2, I have a certificate, it has not been asked for. 

Expert medical have sent their kit which remains unused. While they may be totally shit at testing they are very good at hi big you the code you need to travel. 
    See previous posts, they are no longer approved
  • Options
    I believe companies had to self declare that they met the Government's minimum standards, there should have been proper oversight of what they were doing.
    Ideally of course, but at least it's off now. Like many things in the current situation, it has been impossible for everything that has been needed, to be done as it should.
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    ads said:

May I ask exactly why you so approve of these measures? You will seem to defend the policies at any length. 

Oh, it's hard for everyone......
    The workload is difficult......
    Blah blah blah.........
    Is a perfectly justifiable reason for why things are far from ideal. 
    Are the tests free in France?   Do ou may anything toward your health care in France? I genuinely don't know which countries they are fee in
    The two tests I did for my children were free yes, although I think I heard that we will soon have to pay for them. However that's irrelevant as a comparison to the UK as there are no mandatory Day 2 tests for double vaccinated travellers with no close contact to any infected person.

You still haven't explained why you agree that such testing is necessary. Why for example, if there is Day 2 testing for someone who travelled by Eurostar ot even alone by car, is there no Day 2 testing for someone who went to a crowded pub within the UK?
    Can't you see how discriminatory that is towards travellers who after all are coming from countries with lower infection rates to the UK?! 
    Also, surely this awful workload that you complain about is being caused itself by these absurd unnecessary measures, isn't it?

Finally, earlier you stated that lockdown suits some people but not others. Who the hell does lockdown suit? 
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    ads said:

May I ask exactly why you so approve of these measures? You will seem to defend the policies at any length. 

Oh, it's hard for everyone......
    The workload is difficult......
    Blah blah blah.........
    Is a perfectly justifiable reason for why things are far from ideal. 
    Are the tests free in France?   Do ou may anything toward your health care in France? I genuinely don't know which countries they are fee in
    The two tests I did for my children were free yes, although I think I heard that we will soon have to pay for them. However that's irrelevant as a comparison to the UK as there are no mandatory Day 2 tests for double vaccinated travellers with no close contact to any infected person.

You still haven't explained why you agree that such testing is necessary. Why for example, if there is Day 2 testing for someone who travelled by Eurostar ot even alone by car, is there no Day 2 testing for someone who went to a crowded pub within the UK?
    Can't you see how discriminatory that is towards travellers who after all are coming from countries with lower infection rates to the UK?! 
    Also, surely this awful workload that you complain about is being caused itself by these absurd unnecessary measures, isn't it?

Finally, earlier you stated that lockdown suits some people but not others. Who the hell does lockdown suit? 
    Clearly the tests exist to reduce the possible number of people walking around carrying the virus, it’s entirely possible for test 1 to be negative and the second positive, isn’t it obvious why someone in that situation should quarantine? 

Is it ideal? Obviously not, but it’s nowhere near as draconian as other countries. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/sep/04/home-office-says-delays-at-heathrow-are-unacceptable?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

People herded together in confined spaces for hours on end at Heathrow. Not sure how this is helping anything.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm afraid that there are an awful lot of total illogical actions this Government has taken and workload should have nothing to do with it.  I'm also interested to know how 'EU posturing' has any effect on decisions taken in the handling of the pandemic and in relation to testing.

I believe that testing for anyone coming into the country was originally introduced to prevent dangerous variants coming into the country and that they could be  identified by genomic sequencing, if someone subsequently proved positive. It would be interesting to know just how many of the tests currently being carried out now are subject to such testing.

It is illogical to remove all legal restrictions here, but have testing of everyone coming in from countries who have much lower case rates than the UK, currently that is actually most of the world.

I believe that testing of people coming into the country should take place, but that we should  still have rules on mask wearing and social distancing, that many of those countries with far fewer cases have. If we did, we might have a similar number of new cases as those countries. Visitors to this country are probably far more at risk of contracting Covid than they would be in their own country.

The failure to put India on the red list, when it was quite clear to everyone that something bad was happening in India was a political decision which has had disastrous consequences.

It seems likely that vaccine passports will be introduced for entry to big events, nightclubs and sports venues.  It will be another illogical decision, if a condition for entry is a self-administered lateral flow test which can easily be falsely reported.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
     Meanwhile some dodgy lab ("accredited" for sure) has banked another £290.

And this surely is the reason for the pointless Day 2 test.

Any Government ministers financially involved with any of these companies? 

It wouldn't be the first time, would it?

Just off the top of my head Owen Patterson and Randox.

On this topic @PrincessFiona in particular likes to wring hands and say, "it's not perfect, but what can we do?."

The answer regarding the price gouging by private companies is perfectly simple. You say to all laboratories who want to offer these tests "you will charge no more than, say £60, and if anyone reports you for charging more, you're off the list. Like, now" . That is exactly what the Czechs did, and their country is not noted as a bastion of transparent and clean governance...
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

On this topic @PrincessFiona in particular likes to wring hands and say, "it's not perfect, but what can we do?."

The answer regarding the price gouging by private companies is perfectly simple. You say to all laboratories who want to offer these tests "you will charge no more than, say £60, and if anyone reports you for charging more, you're off the list. Like, now" . That is exactly what the Czechs did, and their country is not noted as a bastion of transparent and clean governance...
    Rather than private profits going into private pockets, in the UK it could even have been set up and operated by NHS.

Any fees and profit would then go directly to supporting the NHS.

Wouldn't that have better served the UK?

Exactly. If it is felt that there is any benefit to having these tests at the very least have them carried out properly and administered centrally and with a single set price. 
  • Options
    Hi Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

Rather than private profits going into private pockets, in the UK it could even have been set up and operated by NHS.

Of course that price cap sounds a reasonable condition to apply and perhaps that will follow.  Not sure if other countries do the same already. 

But I’d guess that many ‘customers’ shop around anyway and seek the lower cost options so it may happen by default for the majority. 
  • Options
    They were not stopped at the border at LHR, of course. At LHR, nobody routinely checks your passport any more, just your boarding pass. And Interpol were not waiting  for my buddy when he landed at CPH either.

They should've told the thousands of people that have been reportedly stuck at Heathrow's border control for 3-4 hours this week, then. 
    I'm sure they would've appreciated walking straight through unchecked too.  Also, how do you get through with no passport check? 

I came back from a Spanish trip 5 weeks ago and every bit of documentation was checked multiple times by either border control or airline staff.  Will be going out again next weekend and expect the same to happen.

For those asking about day 2 tests, I used Randox (£43) which is a DIY kit that you drop off in a box or can pay extra for a courier to collect & deliver.  Would advise checking drop-box locations first. Luckily for me there's one about 15 minutes away in Croydon.  Not sure about other countries, but the Spanish airports all seem to have a test place where you can get an Antigen (~€29) or PCR (~€70) test done for your Fit-to-Fly return to the UK.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    My company has its first overseas tour on the ground today, all in France onroute to Normandy as we speak. 

Most of the group used the Randox return test at £43 and we have booked 'in country' antigens with a local pharmacy for €25 tomorrow. 

More paper work required as we used the Eurotunnel,  this includes sworn declarations, APIs to the Tunnel Operators and Passenger Locator Forms.

Everyone has the NHS App and French Anti Covid App, there were long delays checking in (around an hour), but they will be at Pegasus Bridge in a few hours and sipping beer at Arromanches by sundown. Passports are being stamped again which is quite retro! 

My first trip personally is to Mons/Le Cateau on the 16th and then Portugal for a Soul Weekender on the 22nd, can't wait to get going again. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Of course \i can't say why the testing is necessary as I am not a scientist, and it is they who are advising the government. All I do know is it is a risk-based scenario. Some countries  aren't letting anyone in including their own citizens, so I think the UK situation is a small price and inconvenience to pay. The unprecedented workload is caused by the unprecedented situation due to the world-wide pandemic, coupled with the Brexit timing (exacerbated by the EU posturing) and now the Afghanistan situation. If you can't appreciate this then there is no hope of a reasoned discussion with you, whatever your reasons for not understanding or accepting it.

A lot of people wanted more lockdown - again, if you don't appreciate this, you aren't able to have an objective discussion. Personally I don't know what the ideal balance is, but at least I can appreciate the different views. There is no ideal solution.
    But it's illogical though.

I'm currently in France, not on holiday ...... but now need to return to the UK.

For example, in France it is law for everyone to wear a mask in all enclosed public spaces, shops, public transport, etc. 

In Britain, the Government enforces no such protection.

I then jump have to jump through all the hoops the Government poses to enter the UK ..... and then at Gatwick on the train home there'll be loads of people who won't be  wearing a mask who could come into close proximity with me. And I won't be able to avoid them.

The greatest Covid risk is once I'm travelling within the UK, not while I'm in France.

It's a farce.

I agree we should have to wear masks in the UK. And we have a more densely populated population.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

would be nice re the profit but I wouldn't have thought the NHS would have the capacity
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I've never said it's not perfect, what can we do - if you think that then you have misunderstood my posts. My original post was trying to put the challenges and massively increased workload into perspective. It is human nature for people to know how better everything could be done (and afffect them less - its what we do re football, so why not this)