Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

COVID and overseas travel

Comments

• Options
    Help needed.

Returning tomorrow from Ireland, email from Ryanair about passenger location form. Trying to fill out the form and it’s saying that I require a pcr test, this wasn’t the case going out. Have things changed? 

Have tried phoning the helpline, hanging on for ages.
    Hope you got/get back ok
    Heading back tonight, think the email is a default one from Ryanair. Will sort it at the airport, one way or another. 
  • Options
    Help needed.

Returning tomorrow from Ireland, email from Ryanair about passenger location form. Trying to fill out the form and it’s saying that I require a pcr test, this wasn’t the case going out. Have things changed? 

Hope you got/get back ok
    Heading back tonight, think the email is a default one from Ryanair. Will sort it at the airport, one way or another. 
    Sounds like it wasn't clear from Ryan Air, or even misleading
  • Options
    In Ibiza no checks coming in and have to do a negative before leaving and you do it yourself obs don’t stick the stick all the way done your throat. Something about a Day 2 test getting home but pretty sure no one will follow that up 
    In theory that test in Ibiza isn't sufficient for returning to the UK as it isn't an effective test. A friend who is a travel consultant did theirs before leaving Mallorca and you had to do it on zoom or whatever so they see the test is done by the right person and properly.

My understanding is the day 2 tests ARE being followed up - don;' risk a £500 fine for the sake of a £50 test!

That said, for the Reading Festival you either need to have proof you are double vaccinated more than 14 days or a negative lateral flow test - the lateral flow test could have been done by anyone and may not have even been anywhere near tonsils or up anyone's nose; that's not going to be abused now is it?!
    We paid £28 for a day 2 test which seems like the market rate. Day 2 + 9 tests as required from amber countries were around £50.

The tests were posted to us, we did them at home in about 5 minutes and posted them back. We got the results in three days after posting (both negative) along with a certificate by email.

althougg we have not received any follow up calls, we did have to input our unique tests ID into the passenger locator form which was required before we flew back or we didn’t get on the plane. So I would also recommend organising one. 
    What company was that with, as am seeing £48 the minimum at the mo?
    https://www.expert-medicals.co.uk/

Green list or fully vaccinated from amber country day 2 kits £28
    whatever you do don't use that company, check the trustpilot reviews.  had a day 2 with them, arrived 10 days after ordering, results came back 2 weeks later, absolute waste of time!
  • Options
    ads said:
    In Ibiza no checks coming in and have to do a negative before leaving and you do it yourself obs don’t stick the stick all the way done your throat. Something about a Day 2 test getting home but pretty sure no one will follow that up 
    In theory that test in Ibiza isn't sufficient for returning to the UK as it isn't an effective test. A friend who is a travel consultant did theirs before leaving Mallorca and you had to do it on zoom or whatever so they see the test is done by the right person and properly.

My understanding is the day 2 tests ARE being followed up - don;' risk a £500 fine for the sake of a £50 test!

That said, for the Reading Festival you either need to have proof you are double vaccinated more than 14 days or a negative lateral flow test - the lateral flow test could have been done by anyone and may not have even been anywhere near tonsils or up anyone's nose; that's not going to be abused now is it?!
    We paid £28 for a day 2 test which seems like the market rate. Day 2 + 9 tests as required from amber countries were around £50.

The tests were posted to us, we did them at home in about 5 minutes and posted them back. We got the results in three days after posting (both negative) along with a certificate by email.

althougg we have not received any follow up calls, we did have to input our unique tests ID into the passenger locator form which was required before we flew back or we didn’t get on the plane. So I would also recommend organising one. 

whatever you do don't use that company, check the trustpilot reviews.  had a day 2 with them, arrived 10 days after ordering, results came back 2 weeks later, absolute waste of time!
    But if it satisfies the need to book a return day 2 test...........
  • Options
    I got mine on day 4, have t sent it back yet as the one I had originally booked but where they had t sent me the right code (95% trustpilot! Did arrive on time but was totally useless for getting back into the country: 
  • Options
    ads said:

Ordered mine at the weekend, got a message this morning saying it will be delivered today via DPD. Have put it off until Friday, hopefully will turn up then! 
  • Options
    I got mine on day 4, have t sent it back yet as the one I had originally booked but where they had t sent me the right code (95% trustpilot! Did arrive on time but was totally useless for getting back into the country: 
    I need a day 2 on return to the UK - so need to show I have booked a day 2 for when I get back
  • Options
    Help needed.

Hope you got/get back ok
    Sounds like it wasn't clear from Ryan Air, or even misleading
     No forms required, it was a default email from Ryanair.
  • Options
    Either a lot of people on this thread are missing the point or I have misunderstood.

As I understand it you take a test on Day 2 after entering the UK. If you or anyone on your mode of transport ('close contact') tests positive then you must isolate for 10 days. This period can be shortened with a Day 5 test.

The problem with travel is not just if you yourself test positive but if anyone else in close contact to you does. What however is the definition of 'close contact'? I would assume it to include any other passenger on your plane, after all everyone breathes the same recycled air. For a train, is it limited to your carriage and / or those who boarded at the same station, or is it the whole train?
    Maybe this isn't a problem if you live in the UK. Most people have an employer who will accept this as a good excuse for absence or can work from home.

If you have to apply these rules to your destination country however it prevents you from coming home. Employers, clients and schools do not accept so easily that you got stuck overseas for whatever excuse to rules that they don't understand.

I would therefore be interested to hear if anyone has the answer to my question.
  • Options

Doesn’t seem to be on the government list of approved vendors, does this matter?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's really hard to understand all the requirements. Everone in our party is fully vaccinated. We want to come over from Germany via Netherlands, Belgium, France to London with a campervan by ferry. I understand we need a negative test to pass the border patrol in Calais. In advance we have to book a day 2 test to have all the necessary data for the passenger locator form.
    So far so good. But how to find the right day 2 test provider? Is it possible for non-UK residents to order a "self swab at home" test? The test kits have to be delivered to a camping site. The gov website doesnt't list "expert medicals" as a provider. Shall we try it or better use for example screen4?
    Has anyone another suggestion or even experience?
  • Options
    @MadGerman

I used this company when coming back from Spain a few weeks ago - https://covid.randox.com/amber-country/. This is a "self swab at home" test.

More expensive than Expert Medicals, but definitely on the government list. They have Click and Collect (although only 3 options in the entire South East!), and home delivery - sure you can get it delivered to the campsite (or a nearby pub/restaurant if you ask nicely and promise to give them some trade in return).

For home delivery, you can get £5 off with discount code 
    easyjet2021. 

Your confirmation email will include the booking reference you need to complete the passenger locator form.

Apologies for this ridiculously bureaucratic (and largely ineffective) process that our government has implemented!
  • Options
    Either a lot of people on this thread are missing the point or I have misunderstood.

As I understand it you take a test on Day 2 after entering the UK. If you or anyone on your mode of transport ('close contact') tests positive then you must isolate for 10 days. This period can be shortened with a Day 5 test.

The problem with travel is not just if you yourself test positive but if anyone else in close contact to you does. What however is the definition of 'close contact'? I would assume it to include any other passenger on your plane, after all everyone breathes the same recycled air. For a train, is it limited to your carriage and / or those who boarded at the same station, or is it the whole train?
    Maybe this isn't a problem if you live in the UK. Most people have an employer who will accept this as a good excuse for absence or can work from home.

If you have to apply these rules to your destination country however it prevents you from coming home. Employers, clients and schools do not accept so easily that you got stuck overseas for whatever excuse to rules that they don't understand.

I would therefore be interested to hear if anyone has the answer to my question.
    You don't have to isolate now if you are double jabbed + 2 weeks - doesn't that apply here?
  • Options

Doesn’t seem to be on the government list of approved vendors, does this matter?
    I'm sure it was on the list as I checked before I ordered mine a few days ago but just checked again and it doesn't seem to be there now.
    Bit worrying as I'm flying back to UK today, although all my details have been accepted on the Verifly app so hopefully OK.
    Will post an update later. 
  • Options
    We were due to go to the Maldives next week, but they are on the UKs red list. We thought we would explore the possibility of a long haul holiday on a UK green list country. First, the Canadian Rockies, but they are not accepting British holiday makers. Next, Barbados, but we would have to quarentine for 7 days upon arrival. Next, Antigua, but there are many restrictions re wearing masks and bars close at 2000 hours. We are now spending a few days in the New Forest area, somewhere we haven't been before. 

• Options
    Sounds like Gallen working through the transfer window saga Peter.
  • Options

You don't have to isolate now if you are double jabbed + 2 weeks - doesn't that apply here?
    No. As I understand it you have to isolate if you or someone you come into close contact with during your journey tests positive on Day 2. This comes under the section for those already vaccinated.

Thanks to @MrLargo for the apology for this absurd bureaucracy but it's really only valid from Brexit and/or Conservative voters. Ironically that includes my family who I now haven't seen for two years - since the Brentford home game in Charltonspeak.

The question still remains: what is the definition of 'close contact' regarding plane and train travel? This f****** government need to be clearer to visitors from overseas.

Has anyone visiting another country from the UK been subjected to the kind of absurdity of having to book a test in the destination country before departure?
  • Options

MrLargo said:
    @MadGerman

I used this company when coming back from Spain a few weeks ago - https://covid.randox.com/amber-country/. This is a "self swab at home" test.

More expensive than Expert Medicals, but definitely on the government list. They have Click and Collect (although only 3 options in the entire South East!), and home delivery - sure you can get it delivered to the campsite (or a nearby pub/restaurant if you ask nicely and promise to give them some trade in return).

For home delivery, you can get £5 off with discount code easyjet2021. 

Your confirmation email will include the booking reference you need to complete the passenger locator form.

Apologies for this ridiculously bureaucratic (and largely ineffective) process that our government has implemented!
    Ordinarily, a change in policy or legislation takes an inordinate amount of work taking weeks if not months and on occasions, years. The covid situation has presented an extraordinary challenging and unprecedented situation meaning hundreds of these on a daily basis. And many of those for entirely new and sometimes unexpected situations and issues.

I can see many of the polices and guidance are far from ideal, but it just isn't realistic for everything to run smoothly without any areas that could be improved - and that applies whatever the party who happened to be in government.

The further challenging timing of Brexit means it presents an opportunity for many to criticise for a variety of reasons (remainers, anti the current government, the generally discontented after lockdown etc) - but those who have ever been involved in these sort of changes will understand and if you haven't then I understand you can't appreciate what is involved, but need to bear it in mind.
  • Options
    @PrincessFiona

Sorry but that's bollocks regarding the testing. If you visit France, for example, you can get a test done on the day you request it and get the result online that same evening. You go to a test centre - there's none of this posting nonsense.  I know because I've done it twice.

Compare that to what the UK government demand of visitors. I had to abandon plans of a trip to the UK two weeks ago because my Day 5 test would have fallen on a Saturday, having to assume that someone on my plane /  train tested positive on Day 2. In the UK it's difficult if not impossible to go and get tested on a Saturday, so I've been informed. Even then I wouldn't have got the result until Monday or Tuesday. I had to be back imperatively for the Monday so I called the whole idea off, again. 

Why aren't there simply 7 day testing centres where you can get same day results? Simply because the UK government doesn't give a shit about the public.

• Options
    @PrincessFiona

Sorry but that's bollocks regarding the testing. If you visit France, for example, you can get a test done on the day you request it and get the result online that same evening. You go to a test centre - there's none of this posting nonsense.  I know because I've done it twice.

Compare that to what the UK government demand of visitors. I had to abandon plans of a trip to the UK two weeks ago because my Day 5 test would have fallen on a Saturday, having to assume that someone on my plane /  train tested positive on Day 2. In the UK it's difficult if not impossible to go and get tested on a Saturday, so I've been informed. Even then I wouldn't have got the result until Monday or Tuesday. I had to be back imperatively for the Monday so I called the whole idea off, again. 

Why aren't there simply 7 day testing centres where you can get same day results? Simply because the UK government doesn't give a shit about the public.

I am talking generally, not about one thing out of thousand. You have picked one thing out of thousands. I appreciate there are others but collectively it is like a ten fold increase in work load, so some things are going to give.

Was your trip an emergency?

Using the term 'bollocks' and saying 'the UK government doesn't give a shit about the public' puts your comments, wording and attitude into perspective!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    @jimmymelrose

Test to Release (paying extra to take a Day 5 test so that you can end quarantine after 5 days rather than 10) applies to passengers arriving from Amber list countries who aren't fully vaccinated. It has nothing to do with coming into close contact with anyone. If you are notified that you've come into close contact with someone, via the NHS app or as a result of being contacted directly, such as by an airline, then you have to self-isolate for 10 days from the date of contact. There is no Day 5 test option to reduce the number of days in isolation.

Regarding what is classed as a close contact, it definitely isn't the whole plane:

A contact in an aircraft sitting within two seats (in any direction) of the COVID-19 case, travel companions or persons providing care, and crew members serving in the section of the aircraft where the index case was seated (if severity of symptoms or movement of the case indicate more extensive exposure, passengers seated in the entire section or all passengers on the aircraft may be considered close contacts).

For train travel, I presume it's the same although, unless you're on Eurostar or another service where everyone has had to provide their contact details, it's entirely dependant on people having the NHS Track & Trace app. 

• Options
    complete farce - creating a multi billion pound industry to come back into a country were 30/20% of the population are not jabbed and never will be........

heading to france on 11th - 18th september think i need a lateral flow whilst away and a pcr on day 2 of coming back - whats best places to get these

thanks in advance. 
  • Options
    Fly to Spain on Monday, double jabbed so don't anything other than an LFT when out there, and a day 2 test upon my return.

Do I have to have the day 2 test booked and paid for before my trip?
  • Options
    complete farce - creating a multi billion pound industry to come back into a country were 30/20% of the population are not jabbed and never will be........

heading to france on 11th - 18th september think i need a lateral flow whilst away and a pcr on day 2 of coming back - whats best places to get these

thanks in advance. 

Which tests do I need?

Going on holiday abroad means taking Covid tests:

• Your destination may require one - each country has its own rules for arriving holidaymakers
    • In the three days before returning to the UK, you will need to take a PCR or lateral flow/antigen test. You cannot use the free NHS tests
    • Tests after you arrive in the UK - these must be PCR tests, booked before travel

Lateral flow/antigen tests can be bought in the UK to take with you, or you can buy these or PCR tests when you are away. You must make sure they are of the right quality.

The government advises passengers returning from Spain to use a PCR test.

Most private providers charge above £60 for PCR tests and £30 for lateral flow devices. The government has warned more than 80 providers over misleading prices.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52544307

• Options
    @PrincessFiona

I am talking generally, not about one thing out of thousand. You have picked one thing out of thousands. I appreciate there are others but collectively it is like a ten fold increase in work load, so some things are going to give.

Using the term 'bollocks' and saying 'the UK government doesn't give a shit about the public' puts your comments, wording and attitude into perspective!

How can saying this testing procedure is bollocks (rubbish to put it nicely) and asserting that the government doesn't care about the public, which from my point of view is true, be putting my attitude into perspective? How do you define my attitude? Angry? You bloody bet I am. Overseas British citizens who just want to visit family are being treated like filth. I hate this government and I'm not afraid to say so. I may use strong words but they have never been so well-deserved. If I were to really display the way I feel then I would use far more swear words and bad language, believe me. These testing requirements of fully vaccinated visitors and the procedures that accompanies it is nothing but a complete shambles that makes travelling to the UK such an inconvenience that it becomes nigh-on impossible. How for example can you justify that for a period the UK differentiated between those vaccinated in the UK and those vaccinated elsewhere with the same vaccine. It was nothing but discriminatory.

What about your attitude? I can only assume that you work for the government. I think that you have a very off-hand attitude if you consider my case to be 'one thing out of a thousand?' What the hell are you talking about? There are 800,000 British citizens in France alone and all of us are having to put up with this shoddy treatment. I am therefore talking generally. I have no idea what you are talking about. What is this ten-fold increase in work-load that you are talking about? Perhaps it is the work-load of trying to use private companies as sub-contractors to do postal testing. What kind of nonsense is that? Can't the governement organise 7 day a week testing centres in every sizeable town that travellers are obliged to go to on Day 2, get tested and get the results. Instead they make the obligation and then make it extremely difficult to meet that obligation. If that's not displaying a contempt (to put it more politely) for the public then what is?

Lastly, what is an emergency in your opinion? Does for example my mother have to get to the state where she is actually already ten feet under before you will allow me to visit her. I am a British citizen and should be allowed to visit without all this shit. Don't you bloody insinuate that I have a bad attitude.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    @jimmymelrose

Test to Release (paying extra to take a Day 5 test so that you can end quarantine after 5 days rather than 10) applies to passengers arriving from Amber list countries who aren't fully vaccinated. It has nothing to do with coming into close contact with anyone. If you are notified that you've come into close contact with someone, via the NHS app or as a result of being contacted directly, such as by an airline, then you have to self-isolate for 10 days from the date of contact. There is no Day 5 test option to reduce the number of days in isolation.

Regarding what is classed as a close contact, it definitely isn't the whole plane:

A contact in an aircraft sitting within two seats (in any direction) of the COVID-19 case, travel companions or persons providing care, and crew members serving in the section of the aircraft where the index case was seated (if severity of symptoms or movement of the case indicate more extensive exposure, passengers seated in the entire section or all passengers on the aircraft may be considered close contacts).

For train travel, I presume it's the same although, unless you're on Eurostar or another service where everyone has had to provide their contact details, it's entirely dependant on people having the NHS Track & Trace app. 

Thanks for the reply. I will come back to you later on this when I've calmed down from my last post!
  • Options
    just back from Tesco's stocking up on Butterkist, have I missed anything?
  • Options

thanks in advance. 
    Money saving expert has a list of a few different places with discounts available https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/how-to-find-the-cheapest-private-coronavirus-tests-for-travel/

We're going to Italy in a couple of weeks and have to do an LFT before going as well as one out there and a PCR once we're back, quickly adds up.
  • Options
    @PrincessFiona

How can saying this testing procedure is bollocks (rubbish to put it nicely) and asserting that the government doesn't care about the public, which from my point of view is true, be putting my attitude into perspective? How do you define my attitude? Angry? You bloody bet I am. Overseas British citizens who just want to visit family are being treated like filth. I hate this government and I'm not afraid to say so. I may use strong words but they have never been so well-deserved. If I were to really display the way I feel then I would use far more swear words and bad language, believe me. These testing requirements of fully vaccinated visitors and the procedures that accompanies it is nothing but a complete shambles that makes travelling to the UK such an inconvenience that it becomes nigh-on impossible. How for example can you justify that for a period the UK differentiated between those vaccinated in the UK and those vaccinated elsewhere with the same vaccine. It was nothing but discriminatory.

What about your attitude? I can only assume that you work for the government. I think that you have a very off-hand attitude if you consider my case to be 'one thing out of a thousand?' What the hell are you talking about? There are 800,000 British citizens in France alone and all of us are having to put up with this shoddy treatment. I am therefore talking generally. I have no idea what you are talking about. What is this ten-fold increase in work-load that you are talking about? Perhaps it is the work-load of trying to use private companies as sub-contractors to do postal testing. What kind of nonsense is that? Can't the governement organise 7 day a week testing centres in every sizeable town that travellers are obliged to go to on Day 2, get tested and get the results. Instead they make the obligation and then make it extremely difficult to meet that obligation. If that's not displaying a contempt (to put it more politely) for the public then what is?

Lastly, what is an emergency in your opinion? Does for example my mother have to get to the state where she is actually already ten feet under before you will allow me to visit her. I am a British citizen and should be allowed to visit without all this shit. Don't you bloody insinuate that I have a bad attitude.
    But was it an emergency? Maybe if is is that important, organise more days contingency for the visit? You don't have the right to visit your family (British citizen or otherwise) in a world-wide pandemic any more than anyone else (one disadvantage of living in a different country). Many people were unable to visit family in the same country let alone same town for over a year during the lockdown, many of whom lived alone and/or were vulnerable.

There are but it seems your right to visit your family isn't top of the government's (rather large number of) priorities.

My understanding is there was no differentiation in the UK about vaccines administered in the UK v elsewhere, but the EU did do this (are you also raging at them?), albeit only for a short period  - the UK situation was also mis-understood by friends in Spain, who we were able to put right. It may have been incorrect/ambiguous wording by those drafting the guidance, which is perfectly understandable if/when you realise how much additional work (I estimated tenfold) they have had to do.

This ten-fold increase in work load (that bizarely, you say you don't understand)  is regarding many government officials and civil servants due to the unprecedented scenario.

Not that it matters too much in the scenario, but are you an Overseas British Citizen or a British Citizen who is overseas? Either way, many nationals of other countries are in similar situation. A good friend of mine is Australian and her elderly mother is not in good health. Unfortunately she has no chance of going there any time soon and has accepted she may never see her mother again. She is not shouting she has the right to go and see her.

I never said your attitude was 'bad' but I think your attitude (and situation) is heavily influencing your wording (you are not being treated like 'filth') - I understand it but do not judge you are being reasonable (of the overall situation) in the circumstances. So I hope you are able to arrange a more flexible window/there is the opportunity to visit your family soon.