Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

COVID and overseas travel

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Apologies, that was probably unclear - i did do tests + filled out the forms but what I meant was no one  checked it in the UK! Wondered if the e gate system was linked to it perhaps
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    My company has its first overseas tour on the ground today, all in France onroute to Normandy as we speak. 

Most of the group used the Randox return test at £43 and we have booked 'in country' antigens with a local pharmacy for €25 tomorrow. 

More paper work required as we used the Eurotunnel,  this includes sworn declarations, APIs to the Tunnel Operators and Passenger Locator Forms.

Everyone has the NHS App and French Anti Covid App, there were long delays checking in (around an hour), but they will be at Pegasus Bridge in a few hours and sipping beer at Arromanches by sundown. Passports are being stamped again which is quite retro! 

My first trip personally is to Mons/Le Cateau on the 16th and then Portugal for a Soul Weekender on the 22nd, can't wait to get going again. 
    Couldn't you just have parachuted them into Pegasus Bridge or get the direct landing craft to Arromanches?

Hope the angels are looking after you during your walk on the 16th as well.

Jealous!
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    ads said:
    In Ibiza no checks coming in and have to do a negative before leaving and you do it yourself obs don’t stick the stick all the way done your throat. Something about a Day 2 test getting home but pretty sure no one will follow that up 
    In theory that test in Ibiza isn't sufficient for returning to the UK as it isn't an effective test. A friend who is a travel consultant did theirs before leaving Mallorca and you had to do it on zoom or whatever so they see the test is done by the right person and properly.

My understanding is the day 2 tests ARE being followed up - don;' risk a £500 fine for the sake of a £50 test!

That said, for the Reading Festival you either need to have proof you are double vaccinated more than 14 days or a negative lateral flow test - the lateral flow test could have been done by anyone and may not have even been anywhere near tonsils or up anyone's nose; that's not going to be abused now is it?!
    We paid £28 for a day 2 test which seems like the market rate. Day 2 + 9 tests as required from amber countries were around £50.

The tests were posted to us, we did them at home in about 5 minutes and posted them back. We got the results in three days after posting (both negative) along with a certificate by email.

althougg we have not received any follow up calls, we did have to input our unique tests ID into the passenger locator form which was required before we flew back or we didn’t get on the plane. So I would also recommend organising one. 
    What company was that with, as am seeing £48 the minimum at the mo?
    https://www.expert-medicals.co.uk/

Green list or fully vaccinated from amber country day 2 kits £28
    whatever you do don't use that company, check the trustpilot reviews.  had a day 2 with them, arrived 10 days after ordering, results came back 2 weeks later, absolute waste of time!
    Ordered mine at the weekend, got a message this morning saying it will be delivered today via DPD. Have put it off until Friday, hopefully will turn up then! 
    Well, no problems at all using the Expert Medicals day 2 test reference number getting back into the country. Let's just see if it turns up tomorrow. 
    Be grateful to know how things go. Off to Spain in a fortnight and not inclined to pay anymore than necessary for this Day2 PCR test farce. As long as I get the reference code for getting the flight back not that bothered about what happens afterwards. Anybody know what the actual follow up by the ‘authorities’ is in terms of checks on the timing etc of the test results?
    I posted earlier that they came off the approved list yesterday. That will be why people have been ok using then up until now, but noot on the approvedist from today.
    May I ask exactly why you so approve of these measures? You will seem to defend the policies at any length. 

Oh, it's hard for everyone......
    The workload is difficult......
    Blah blah blah.........
    Is a perfectly justifiable reason for why things are far from ideal. 
    Are the tests free in France?   Do ou may anything toward your health care in France? I genuinely don't know which countries they are fee in
    Finally, earlier you stated that lockdown suits some people but not others. Who the hell does lockdown suit? 
    How about the millions of people who haven't been infected?
  • Options
    jams said:
    Apologies, that was probably unclear - i did do tests + filled out the forms but what I meant was no one  checked it in the UK! Wondered if the e gate system was linked to it perhaps
    AH, ok. Not sure what checks are being carried out on the data you entered, although I know of some people who have been contacted/checked after
  • Options
    ealth care in France? I genuinely don't know which countries they are fee in
    Finally, earlier you stated that lockdown suits some people but not others. Who the hell does lockdown suit? 
    How about the millions of people who haven't been infected?
    I'm not sure the word 'suited' applies to anyone. But whilst some people were crying out for lockdown to be lifted, many others thought it should have remained.

As I said before, it was a catch-22 with no ideal solution and virtually impossible to get the ideal balance, as one person's ideal it not everyone's
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    My company has its first overseas tour on the ground today, all in France onroute to Normandy as we speak. 

Most of the group used the Randox return test at £43 and we have booked 'in country' antigens with a local pharmacy for €25 tomorrow. 

More paper work required as we used the Eurotunnel,  this includes sworn declarations, APIs to the Tunnel Operators and Passenger Locator Forms.

Everyone has the NHS App and French Anti Covid App, there were long delays checking in (around an hour), but they will be at Pegasus Bridge in a few hours and sipping beer at Arromanches by sundown. Passports are being stamped again which is quite retro! 

My first trip personally is to Mons/Le Cateau on the 16th and then Portugal for a Soul Weekender on the 22nd, can't wait to get going again. 
    have a safe trip Clive, glad to hear you are operating again. Just hope our CL trip to Normandy next year will go ahead ok too. 
  • Options
    We went to the theatre on Friday and were told we had to do a test the day before or on the day of the visit or we would not be allowed entry. I know it isn't perfect, but that re-assured me it was ok to go. When we got there, they were not interested in seeing proof we had done the tests or proof we have had our jabs. Maybe everybody will have had the tests on the strength of the original e-mail but it seemed a bit lax to me.
  • Options
    We went to the theatre on Friday and were told we had to do a test the day before or on the day of the visit or we would not be allowed entry. I know it isn't perfect, but that re-assured me it was ok to go. When we got there, they were not interested in seeing proof we had done the tests or proof we have had our jabs. Maybe everybody will have had the tests on the strength of the original e-mail but it seemed a bit lax to me.
    That's poor and not the only place that is happening. Let's hope the majority are doing the tests anyway
  • Options
    jams said:
    AH, ok. Not sure what checks are being carried out on the data you entered, although I know of some people who have been contacted/checked after
    I think it’s mostly on the airlines to ensure the checks and tests have taken place, rather than the airports at either end. So they’ll be some trust there that people arriving have completed locator forms and tests, otherwise airlines would never have allowed them to check-in and board. That’s what I believe is happening anyway, not flown myself, so that’s second-hand info and my own research. 
  • Options
    jams said:
    I think it’s mostly on the airlines to ensure the checks and tests have taken place, rather than the airports at either end. So they’ll be some trust there that people arriving have completed locator forms and tests, otherwise airlines would never have allowed them to check-in and board. That’s what I believe is happening anyway, not flown myself, so that’s second-hand info and my own research. 
    Airlines get fined charged if they carry someone who is not properly documented e.g. no or not valid visa, so maybe there same is the case with this
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Flying into Luton recently we had locator forms checked - flying back into Luton again next week so will let you know what that experience is like from an Amber country.  I have booked day 2 test already so all good to go once I get my negative test before I travel.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    ricardom said:
    Flying into Luton recently we had locator forms checked - flying back into Luton again next week so will let you know what that experience is like from an Amber country.  I have booked day 2 test already so all good to go once I get my negative test before I travel.
    Who have you booked your day 2 test with?
  • Options
    God only knows what will happen if we extend COVID passports into mass attendance events: I had to do no tests to attend silverstone because I was double vaccinated: my girlfriend had delayed her vaccinations due to concerns about long term effects and so had to lateral flow test before going. She did one abs was negative, then realised that you can just not do it and put the code in and report negative, we have been tested since but not at home. Shite quality tests very badly done. Surely not beyond the wit of the human race to have a test kit for the same price that only gives you a code when you’re negative. 
  • Options
    God only knows what will happen if we extend COVID passports into mass attendance events: I had to do no tests to attend silverstone because I was double vaccinated: my girlfriend had delayed her vaccinations due to concerns about long term effects and so had to lateral flow test before going. She did one abs was negative, then realised that you can just not do it and put the code in and report negative, we have been tested since but not at home. Shite quality tests very badly done. Surely not beyond the wit of the human race to have a test kit for the same price that only gives you a code when you’re negative. 
    Yes, it is ridiculous you can just put the code in without doing the actual test. Worse is that that is what some people will do
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Any self applied test is open to cheating or error. We have to trust people not to want to potentially kill others.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Any self applied test is open to cheating or error. We have to trust people not to want to potentially kill others.
    Do you think we can?

Whilst a no-brainer for many, from the behaviour and attitudes I have witnessed, sadly I think not enough (not enough people, enough)
  • Options
    How do we test in the numbers we need otherwise? You could devise two versions of a test which is linked to a code so a person enters the code and result and gets informed whether they are positive or not. But they would simply need not to add a sample and get a guaranteed negative.
  • Options
    ricardom said:
    We’ve gone with testing for all who we used previously and got us results back in time. Third and final visit back to UK and every previous time has been an okay experience even with quarantine NHS kept us on our toes ringing my wife and I every day for 10 days. 
  • Options
    ricardom said:
    ricardom said:
    We’ve gone with testing for all who we used previously and got us results back in time. Third and final visit back to UK and every previous time has been an okay experience even with quarantine NHS kept us on our toes ringing my wife and I every day for 10 days. 
    Yes, my partner's son was had the same checks - who did you use? 
  • Options

A QUARTER of travellers from amber list countries broke Covid quarantine rules and one in 10 didn't take a PCR test when they arrived in UK, official survey finds 

• Just 23% of adults arriving in England from amber countries followed Covid rules
    • Meanwhile, just 53% of Brits support testing rules for travellers arriving in the UK
    • And 61% of overseas residents think the tests are important for safety
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes, my partner's son was had the same checks - who did you use? 
    https://www.testingforall.org/
  • Options
    https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2021/09/06/watch-long-queues-at-malaga-airport-spark-passenger-revolt/

This looks fun. Not only Heathrow then. Flying to Malaga on the 18th. Hopefully all is sorted out by then.
  • Options

A QUARTER of travellers from amber list countries broke Covid quarantine rules and one in 10 didn't take a PCR test when they arrived in UK, official survey finds 

• Just 23% of adults arriving in England from amber countries followed Covid rules
    • Meanwhile, just 53% of Brits support testing rules for travellers arriving in the UK
    • And 61% of overseas residents think the tests are important for safety
    Important to have context around these. The survey was carried out over just 5 days and was before the govt dropped the requirement for full vaxxed people to quarantine for 10 days. Another important thing to point out from the survey is nearly half of those who responded said they didn't fully understand the rules which isn't surprising to anyone who has either travelled or booked to travel recently.
  • Options
    I got sick of sitting around last Feb in 3rd lockdown (Irish) so I bought a yacht in the Caribbean and now travel all over.
  • Options
    Was going to book Malta for early October, do we reckon that the current situation will hold or we'll be back grounded again by then? So keen to get away and will book it all refundable... but really don't fancy getting my hopes up and having them dashed again! Will probably just end up going for it anyway and hoping!
  • Options
    scidbox said:
    I got sick of sitting around last Feb in 3rd lockdown (Irish) so I bought a yacht in the Caribbean and now travel all over.
    Could you pick me up from the Vieux Port, Marseille ....... and take me home to Cornwall, please?

As a thank you, there's a box of old Charlton programmes and a couple of bottles of 'Proper Job' for you.

Don't tell Bell-end Boris though.
    Thanks very much. :wink:

• Options
    Was going to book Malta for early October, do we reckon that the current situation will hold or we'll be back grounded again by then? So keen to get away and will book it all refundable... but really don't fancy getting my hopes up and having them dashed again! Will probably just end up going for it anyway and hoping!
    You could book a package with one of the companies who have got good reviews 
  • Options
    Expert Medicals still advertising their 2 day overseas arrival test for £28.  :)