Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

COVID and overseas travel

I seem to remember a 2021 Holidays thread and this may be better suited to there but I can’t find it:

We are just on our way back from Malta which was very good, would not have thought of there but for the green list.

We are both double vaccinated. 

On the way out we had to take a PCR test within 72 hours of departure which was quite expensive £130, this is a UK requirement: No one checked this test in the UK before flying. 

Malta checked we were double vaccinated before letting us in, we had our certificates and knew this would be required.

On the way back, the UK requires you to have a PCR or lateral flow test but you have to ha e it done in the country and get a local certificate we took our own and registered them on the NHS app. This is not sufficient to bird the plane abs we nearly missed our flight running to the in airport test centre and fortunately getting a result in 15 minutes.

Also a UK requirement is to fill in an online passenger locator form and to get this to work you need to have booked either day 2 or day 2 abs day 8 PCR tests in the UK. We had but I could not find the reference number I needed. I had to buy another one in the airport from Expert Medical whip were recommended by the Maltese and provided me a test reference abs will send a test kit for my 2 day test for £28. My reference I needed looked like this.

EXMED0422138

The Maltese wouldn’t let anyone on the plane without both the test result and the passenger locator form. We finally checked in 2 minutes before the deadline. 

There were lots of other folks in the same boat. Worth filling out the forms and getting the tests done the day before you leave. 

Still it was good to get away and I’d definitely recommend Malta and Gozo. 

Comments

• Going to Malta (inc a few days in Gozo) in a few weeks so this is really helpful! 
  • edited August 2021
    We went to Ireland a week or so ago. At the airport we were asked if we were double jabbed. Didn’t have to show anything. Arriving in Ireland just waved through.
    But in pubs and restaurants we had to show proof of jabs.
    On way back no checks at all either end.
    We had registered on the Irish passenger locator.
  • Am confused  - 'On the way out we had to take a PCR test within 72 hours of departure which was quite expensive £130, this is a UK requirement'

Why did you need a PCR to fly from the UK to a green country, which is a UK requirement? I don't think the UK decide what you need to fly from the UK elsewhere. Where did you see that this was required?

And no, you can't take your own tests to take before you return to the UK, they should be independently verified otherwise anyone (i.e. someone else) could take the test!
  • Am confused  - 'On the way out we had to take a PCR test within 72 hours of departure which was quite expensive £130, this is a UK requirement'

Why did you need a PCR to fly from the UK to a green country, which is a UK requirement? I don't think the UK decide what you need to fly from the UK elsewhere. Where did you see that this was required?

And no, you can't take your own tests to take before you return to the UK, they should be independently verified otherwise anyone (i.e. someone else) could take the test!
    Because they don’t want you on the plane if you haven’t been tested. 

On BA they make passengers use the VeriFLY App that collates all the info. Once you’ve added all the info you’re good to go. We printed out out PCR certificates, which was just as well as they asked to see our 15 year old’s, as he hasn’t been vaccinated. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Am confused  - 'On the way out we had to take a PCR test within 72 hours of departure which was quite expensive £130, this is a UK requirement'

On BA they make passengers use the VeriFLY App that collates all the info. Once you’ve added all the info you’re good to go. We printed out out PCR certificates, which was just as well as they asked to see our 15 year old’s, as he hasn’t been vaccinated. 
    It is NOT a UK requirement. I have just checked with a friend who is a travel consultant and just returned from a holiday. There in NO UK requirement to have a negative test to get on a plane from the UK - maybe that is why no one checked it?!

Unless it is a requirement just specific to BA? It is not a UK one
  • edited August 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Am confused  - 'On the way out we had to take a PCR test within 72 hours of departure which was quite expensive £130, this is a UK requirement'

It is NOT a UK requirement. I have just checked with a friend who is a travel consultant and just returned from a holiday. There in NO UK requirement to have a negative test to get on a plane from the UK - maybe that is why no one checked it?!

It is not a BA requirement either, my friend has just confirmed it is not a UK requirement, nor a BA one as she flew BA

She has just said 'A few weeks ago malta required you to have a test to enter even if double jabbed. Portugal still require a test now. Even if jabbed.' so if you went then, it was a requirement by Malta but NOT the UK
  • Croydon said:
    The tests are a scam, £130 pocketed by a private entity. 
    Especially if the £130 wasn't was even necessary. My friend said the test they did before returning to UK was capped at EUR 30 which is reasonable. They should cap the amounts they can charge in the UK too
  • iainment said:
    We went to Ireland a week or so ago. At the airport we were asked if we were double jabbed. Didn’t have to show anything. Arriving in Ireland just waved through.
    I'm going over on Tuesday, I've uploaded my proof of vaccination. 
  • edited August 2021
    iainment said:
    Don’t forget the locator form.

And take paper copies. You never know.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    JamesSeed said:

It was a requirement to travel to Dubrovnik (green zone) with BA. We had to upload our vaccination certificates and PCR test results at least four hours before flying. They checked my 15 yr old’s printed test certificate at the check in, perhaps because he’s not vaccinated. 
    Same on the return flight. We’re having to upload all the vaccination certificates again, and take antigen tests within 48 hrs of the flight. Need certificates for those too. Not to mention filling in both governments’ locator forms before flying. 
    Also need certificates showing we’ve booked Day 2 PCR test after our return (for the locator form completion). 
    Bit of a mate when you filling in the forms for the whole family. 
  • Croydon said:
    The tests are a scam, £130 pocketed by a private entity. 
    Especially if the £130 wasn't was even necessary. My friend said the test they did before returning to UK was capped at EUR 30 which is reasonable. They should cap the amounts they can charge in the UK too
    They should indeed, but certain people seem to be cashing in on this crisis big time. 
  • iainment said:
    iainment said:
    Don’t forget the locator form.

And take paper copies. You never know.
    All done.
  • edited August 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

It was a requirement to travel to Dubrovnik (green zone) with BA. We had to upload our vaccination certificates and PCR test results at least four hours before flying. They checked my 15 yr old’s printed test certificate at the check in, perhaps because he’s not vaccinated. 
    Same on the return flight. We’re having to upload all the vaccination certificates again, and take antigen tests within 48 hrs of the flight. Need certificates for those too. Not to mention filling in both governments’ locator forms before flying. 
    Also need certificates showing we’ve booked Day 2 PCR test after our return (for the locator form completion). 
    Bit of a mate when you filling in the forms for the whole family. 
    That may have been a requirement by them but NOT the UK. Although it may have changed if now green

It is NOT a UK requirement on leaving
  • At the time of us booking for Malta the Uk website states we needed a PCR test pre-flight.

It no longer states that this is required for IK fully vaccinated arrivals.

Everyone we spoke to about this in Malta had been tested but their documents not checked. I can only therefore assume that either the Maltese requirements have changes or the website was originally wrong.

in any event  it now appear as it is not necessary to have the expensive £130 a pop PCR test if you are fully vaccinated and flying to Malta. Children accompanying fully vaccinated adults do need ta negative test result.

• At the time of us booking for Malta the Uk website states we needed a PCR test pre-flight.

It no longer states that this is required for IK fully vaccinated arrivals.

Everyone we spoke to about this in Malta had been tested but their documents not checked. I can only therefore assume that either the Maltese requirements have changes or the website was originally wrong.

in any event  it now appear as it is not necessary to have the expensive £130 a pop PCR test if you are fully vaccinated and flying to Malta. Children accompanying fully vaccinated adults do need ta negative test result.

Yes, the Maltese requirements changed. It was a Maltese requirement for a short time, but never a UK one
  • edited August 2021
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/24/nhs-covid-pass-still-not-recognised-in-some-eu-countries

Still a few issues with acceptance of the electronic UK COVID app in some instances within the EU. Probably a good idea to get the hard copy of vaccination proof via the NHS website as a back up.
  • Off to Zante on Sunday - all double jabbed.

Greek Locator Form and proof of vaccination required going out (have hard copies and electronic) - Lateral Flow Test within 48 hours of returning to the UK and a PCR test with 48 hours of arriving in UK. Testing pack from TUI (LFT and PCR) - £20
  • another one to watch (not COVID related) if going to the EU is when your passport was issued, my friends wife got turned away at Gatwick as despite having some months left on the passport it was issued 10 years ago.
  • https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

Just need to consult this both for the country you are going to and what you need to do when you travel back to the UK.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob7Lee said:
    another one to watch (not COVID related) if going to the EU is when your passport was issued, my friends wife got turned away at Gatwick as despite having some months left on the passport it was issued 10 years ago.
    At least 6 months left on passport has been a requirement for a long time to travel. Not just EU, but anywhere in the world. 
  • edited August 2021
    Rob7Lee said:
    another one to watch (not COVID related) if going to the EU is when your passport was issued, my friends wife got turned away at Gatwick as despite having some months left on the passport it was issued 10 years ago.
    A lot of countries have always required 6 months validity

Official advice from the UK Government says that adult and child passports should have at least 6 months' validity remaining from your date of travel. Extra months on an adult passport due to early renewal will not count, so some passport holders will need more than 6 months remaining to travel.10 Aug 2021
  • edited August 2021
    Rob7Lee said:
    At least 6 months left on passport has been a requirement for a long time to travel. Not just EU, but anywhere in the world. 
    You miss understand. She had over 6 months left on her passport. The issue is, post Brexit, it's not just how long left but also the time ago it was issued. So if you renew your passport early (as she did ten years ago) and that was 10 years ago then it doesn't matter if you have 6 months left, you aren't flying!!

EDIT, back then you could renew 9 months early and any remaining months would be carried over.
  • edited August 2021

Passport validity

We recommend that on the day you travel you have at least 6 months left on your passport. This allows for:

• travelling in Europe for up to 3 months (you don’t normally need a visa for the first 90 days in every 180 days of travel)
    • the requirement from most European countries to have at least 3 months left on your passport on the day after you leave

Your passport must also be less than 10 years old on the day after you leave. If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the minimum period needed.

These rules do not apply to travel to Ireland. You can continue to use your passport as long as it’s valid for the length of your stay.

• Rob7Lee said:

Passport validity

We recommend that on the day you travel you have at least 6 months left on your passport. This allows for:

• travelling in Europe for up to 3 months (you don’t normally need a visa for the first 90 days in every 180 days of travel)
    • the requirement from most European countries to have at least 3 months left on your passport on the day after you leave

Your passport must also be less than 10 years old on the day after you leave. If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the minimum period needed.

These rules do not apply to travel to Ireland. You can continue to use your passport as long as it’s valid for the length of your stay.

This is correct, but the first bullet point is slightly misleading.  You normally don't need a visa for the first 90 days in every 180 days, but you have to have one for the 91st day onwards.  And the days accumulate.  If you have been in the EU (any country) for 90 days, you can be removed if you enter any EU country before the 180 days resets.  
  • bobmunro said:
    Off to Zante on Sunday - all double jabbed.

Greek Locator Form and proof of vaccination required going out (have hard copies and electronic) - Lateral Flow Test within 48 hours of returning to the UK and a PCR test with 48 hours of arriving in UK. Testing pack from TUI (LFT and PCR) - £20
    Why do you need to do a Lateral Flow and a PCR test when you get back to the UK?
  • se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:

Why do you need to do a Lateral Flow and a PCR test when you get back to the UK?
    se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:

You don’t. I think they mean LFT before you return, but badly worded. PCR after you return. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:

se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:

You don’t. I think they mean LFT before you return, but badly worded. PCR after you return. 
    Yes, awfully worded. LTR in resort two days before travelling back to UK - PCR within two days of arrival back in UK.
  • bobmunro said:
    JamesSeed said:
    se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:

se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:

Yes, awfully worded. LTR in resort two days before travelling back to UK - PCR within two days of arrival back in UK.
    What happens practically if the LTR is positive before you return? Do TUI quarantine you somewhere and at their cost etc or do you have to make your own plans etc ? I assume you aren’t simply allowed to carry on as normal at your holiday hotel for a further week. 

It’s this aspect  which puts me off trying to holiday overseas yet. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:

se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:
    JamesSeed said:
    se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:

se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:

Ah cool - cheers.