Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is anyone else not fussed about Englands progress in the euros?

Comments

• Simonsen said:
    I'll be honest; there was lad who scored for England in one of the friendlies that I genuinely had never heard of (Arsenal player...Saka?) 

In normal times I go to football every Saturday either to watch Charlton or Hendon but I've become almost totally detached from The Premier League & Champions League. Until a couple of weeks ago, I didn't even realise there was a Euro Championship this summer! 

Anyway...I might watch a bit of it, not least because I've got Italy in the cricket club sweepstake. 
    I didn't know Italy played cricket.
  • Would people take an interest in England if we had 2 Charlton players starting?

Im just trying to get my head wrapped around loving a sport and not following your country.
    I was born in Croydon and lived near Selhurst park for a lot of my life. But I don't really care much about Palace. Still have a fondness for Liverpool though because I went to university there and enjoyed watching from the Kop. I was born and raised in England but I don't really care much about the England football team for some reason. No idea why I've never taken to them. I usually want my favourite players to do well in the World Cup or Euros. My favourite players are rarely English - but sometimes they are ! Certainly I would want any team with Charlton players to do well and beat England!
    You’ve always have been quite strange, this confirms it.
    Want another nation to beat your own? Give your head a wobble.
  • I really hope that Croatia stuff them this afternoon, they don't represent our country they are just a load over highly overpaid young sportsmen who only represent their own self interests.

Where's the smiley or winky face emoji ?
  • edited June 2021
    Laddick01 said:
    I really hope that Croatia stuff them this afternoon, they don't represent our country they are just a load over highly overpaid young sportsmen who only represent their own self interests.

I have no response to this level of stupidity.
    Just because my views are rather different to yours does not mean that I am stupid, please retract your remark or if I am stupid as you suggest I won't bet able to do the stats next season!!!!!

You're definitely stupid to make this comment.  

I really hope that Croatia stuff them this afternoon, they don't represent our country they are just a load over highly overpaid young sportsmen who only represent their own self interests.

• Sponsored links:

• Let the guy think what he wants ffs. I find it a bit strange too but he's entitled to his own view 
  • edited June 2021
    He can, no problem with that at all, crack on  and expect people to express theirs back. 
  • Looking at today’s line up I don’t think Southgate is that fussed either.
  • let me explain

my view is that the players in the premiership are vastly overpaid in fact the whole premiership finance system is financially wrong and skews the system against the EFL, this really does annoy me and occasionally. like today, makes me go a little extreme. Yes really I do want England to win.

However my views are just as valid as yours and should not be called stupid just because you don't agree with the,m and for that reason my feelings towards some fellow Lifers at present is rather negative, but I won't call you stupid.
  • edited June 2021
    let me explain

my view is that the players in the premiership are vastly overpaid in fact the whole premiership finance system is financially wrong and skews the system against the EFL, this really does annoy me and occasionally. like today, makes me go a little extreme. Yes really I do want England to win.

However my views are just as valid as yours and should not be called stupid just because you don't agree with the,m and for that reason my feelings towards some fellow Lifers at present is rather negative, but I won't call you stupid.
    Thats fair comment and glad you do want England to win, finance in football is ridiculous, 100% with you in that. 

I (somewhat naively), believe representing your country is above the dollar, but I have no idea what motivates those pulling on the shirt this afternoon, I can only draw on how I feel/felt all my life.   

You are completely entitled to a view, hope you didn't mind me challenging it with my own, 

Anyway Gascoigne has just scored against Scotland again on my TV and its as glorious as it always will be, come on England. 
  • let me explain

apparently it's not called the premiership anymore. i was told on an another thread. The overpayedship maybe is its new name. or for Americans, OPS. 
  • Croydon said:
    I knew our fanbase had some oddballs, but some really weird posts on this thread. Just can't get my head around not supporting your country in everything they do. Got fuck all interest in netball but watched the WC final when we were in it, have a bit of pride in your nation ffs. 
    How about Eurovision?

Do people really tune in hoping that their country will be victorious and claim the ultimate honour of hosting next year.

Or do they just enjoy the show and maybe feel a bit of pleasure if the song they liked most wins. Certainly if the UK enters a load of old crap, I don't care or want them to win. If nul pointes is what the song deserves that's what I want it to get!

Actually I can't even remember the last time I watched Eurovision - it's just a way to explain how I feel!  
  • Let me explain as well. I didn't call you stupid.
    I said it's the most stupid post of the year and possibly all time.

You have now done a complete u turn and no longer want Croatia to stuff England.
    You now want England to win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    I knew our fanbase had some oddballs, but some really weird posts on this thread. Just can't get my head around not supporting your country in everything they do. Got fuck all interest in netball but watched the WC final when we were in it, have a bit of pride in your nation ffs. 
    How about Eurovision?

Do people really tune in hoping that their country will be victorious and claim the ultimate honour of hosting next year.

Or do they just enjoy the show and maybe feel a bit of pleasure if the song they liked most wins. Certainly if the UK enters a load of old crap, I don't care or want them to win. If nul pointes is what the song deserves that's what I want it to get!

Actually I can't even remember the last time I watched Eurovision - it's just a way to explain how I feel!  
    I would support the UK in Eurovision, and assume most would too. You don't watch that hoping we're victorious, as it's a bit of fun completely dominated by political voting. Doesn't mean you don't get behind the UK act tjough
  • Let me explain as well. I didn't call you stupid.
    I said it's the most stupid post of the year and possibly all time.

You have now done a complete u turn and no longer want Croatia to stuff England.
    You now want England to win.
    You really are the most patronising poster going. Sort it out!
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    How about Eurovision?

I would support the UK in Eurovision, and assume most would too. You don't watch that hoping we're victorious, as it's a bit of fun completely dominated by political voting. Doesn't mean you don't get behind the UK act tjough
    The Eurovision song contest...please God no . The worst songs in the world have no appeal.

As for England I have lost enthusiasm because they always contrive to make a pigs eat of it. Germany rarely do that or France etc.
    Was replying to somebody who used Eurovision as a comparison.

Why support Charlton if you're only into football for glory
  • Are we getting a "Is anyone else not fussed about Scotlands progress in the euros?" thread?

• Huskaris said:

Charlton in a Champions League final Vs England  though and we have a real question to answer.
    Charlton every time for me.
  • CAFCTrev said:
    Huskaris said:

Charlton in a Champions League final Vs England  though and we have a real question to answer.
    Charlton every time for me.
    Yeah, in a Champions League final. But in a "promotion from a really shit league to a slightly less shit league, which you will get relegated from in the next couple years anyway" and it's England every time for me.
  • edited June 2021
  • SamB09 said:
    tom_k said:
    no, I'm not really bothered about how England do. Why I'm not sure but probably due to 50 years of being let down time and time again by underperforming highly paid players who a lot of the time don't look like they give a toss. And I've always said if I had the choice of England say winning these Euros or Charlton taking a point in the first game of the season then I'd take the point all day long.
    Charlton getting one point in League One, over England Winning the Euros. This must be the most insane thing I have ever read on this website. 
    He is fishing surely.
    He is not. He's been saying this for years and he means it.

I can only equate his attitude to the average French person. You wouldn't know anything is happening and then when it's the semi-final or Final everyone suddenly thinks it's brilliant and goes crazy. The day after being crowned Champions it's like nothing ever happened. 

I'm quite sure that it would be like this with @LargeAddick