Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is anyone else not fussed about Englands progress in the euros?

Comments

• My love of England stopped abruptly in 2006 following the Darren Bent snub by Erickson. 

When Sven took Theo Walcott to the World Cup, and despite being short of strikers and left Darren Bent behind, with Darren being the leading English goal scorer in the premiership I vowed never to support England ever again. I have kept to this vow.

Pre 2006 I attended a lot of England matches, since 2006 I take zero interest in England. I couldn’t even tell you who England are playing or when the competition starts.
    haha Just an outright lie isn't it
    Not a lie at all.
    I couldn’t give a toss who England are playing.

I honestly don’t know who England’s opponents are, or when the matches are being played.
  • My love of England stopped abruptly in 2006 following the Darren Bent snub by Erickson. 

When Sven took Theo Walcott to the World Cup, and despite being short of strikers and left Darren Bent behind, with Darren being the leading English goal scorer in the premiership I vowed never to support England ever again. I have kept to this vow.

Pre 2006 I attended a lot of England matches, since 2006 I take zero interest in England. I couldn’t even tell you who England are playing or when the competition starts.
    Not necessarily. I mean most people would know who our first game is against, and more will know we're playing Scotland after. But i'd bet quite a few people would struggle to remember who our 3rd game is against though.
    Couldn’t tell you when the tournament starts…

Does he live in a cave?
  • The original question isn’t Club Or Country . It’s if you are fussed that England progress in the Euros.

Come on England !!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

I agree.
    Why this club v country argument?
    Do they ever have fixtures against each other? 
    Do tournaments take place while Charlton are playing?
  • @Billericay Dickie

So, you shun the England national team of 2021 because the manager in 2006 made that absurd selection. 
    That's bizarre in itself but even more so when you consider that the said manager wasn't even English.
  • edited June 2021
    Why does it seem to wind up people that some just aren’t bothered about how England do? 
    It doesn’t really wind me up, I’m just a little confused about it.

I don’t understand why football fans from England that are of English heritage wouldn’t have some interest in the national team.

I’m not a rugby fan for example, but I still like to see England do well. 

• In answer to the original thread question....  YES

Still English, even though living abroad at the moment.  

It certainly makes watching matches in bars more interesting 😮
  • One interesting thing on reading these comments is peoples' love of a summer tournament. Just another reason to think a winter World Cup held in Qatar is going to be pretty shit
    absolutely this - the WC in the run up to xmas just won't feel the same!
  • Sponsored links:

• Well I still want them to win. I love World Cups and the Euros, and even though it always ends in tears I am desperate for England to win. 

Not a lie at all.

I honestly don’t know who England’s opponents are, or when the matches are being played.
    I think you are on the wind up .
  • It was interesting listening to Mouhrino on the radio this morning, he was saying that apart from Brazil not other national team has the weight of expectation that England have. This is weird ( but true in terms of high expectations ) considering the lack of success in the past. I personally would love to see England win a tourny but I would say my expectation is that we will lose to the 1st decent team we have to play in the knockout stages as usual. I'm never sure if our players are not as good as we all think they are or if we are just unlucky. Certainly in the past we have been unlucky in that if it wasnt for Maradona's hand of god shite we would have won that world cup I'm sure. Also the ref getting conned into booking Gazza and then him losing his head I'm pretty sure cost us that match
  • We have been a bit unlucky down the years but our record is shockingly bad compared to any other comparable country. Being crap at shoot outs doesn't help.
    We have never won a Euro knock-out game, other than a penalties win over Spain.
  • i think there are 2 main reasons we haven't done as well as our club sides would suggest we should and they are: 1. Continental style of football - the knocking it round the back, then playing in bursts, has been more suited to tournaments than our style 2. We have had a distinct lack of 'ballers' / 'playmakers' in the midfield compared to the other big football nations and have bought into the premiership what we don't have. Although i think we will still come up short, i think we are moving in the right direction regarding both of the points above (albeit i prefer our blood and thunder style but you have to adapt if you're gonna win a tournament) 
  • and penalty shootouts - i would have them practicing every day - of course you can't replicate the pressure but you can increase your chances with the practice, without a doubt in my mind. Pick a spot and do it 20 times a day.   
  • DOUCHER said:
    and penalty shootouts - i would have them practicing every day - of course you can't replicate the pressure but you can increase your chances with the practice, without a doubt in my mind. Pick a spot and do it 20 times a day.   
    I cannot understand why previous managers didn't practise them. Batty said he had never taken one, not even in practice, after he missed. That's ridiculous. They should end every practice session with penalties.
  • Love the World Cup beyond belief and Euros are a very good tournament. Can’t wait 3 lions on the shirt !!!
  • One interesting thing on reading these comments is peoples' love of a summer tournament. Just another reason to think a winter World Cup held in Qatar is going to be pretty shit
    absolutely this - the WC in the run up to xmas just won't feel the same!
    I’m kind of looking forward to it in a way, be interesting to see if it has the same buzz, can imagine Xmas parties being arranged around it which would be pretty good for some but fucking horrendous for others 
  • If somebody at a knife to my throat and demanded I choose between England and Charlton, I would choose Charlton. But I haven't and I want England to win this with a passion. 
  • Sponsored links:

Not a lie at all.

How? How can you religiously follow Charlton Athletic, then take zero interest in the national team?

Presumably you follow Charlton because you love football. Why wouldn't the second largest football tournament in the world be of interest?!
  • Didn't care so much for England when we had useless foreign managers in charge, who had evidently just come for the money. Much prefer my useless England managers to be English. Remember feeling some bitter satisfaction when Owen inevitably got injured after Eriksson hadn't taken Bent. Didn't like the golden generation at all, perennially failing and being given another chance, and another.

Much more enthused about Southgate and the current lot, and always enjoy an international tournament. Feel we should do well in this, but there are at least four teams in with a good shout, so progress will depend on how the various groups finish, F especially. Have a few bob on an England/France final.

• MrLargo said:
    England are very much the Millwall of international Football so I can understand English football fans not wanting to be associated.

Difficult to disagree with that unfortunately. It's a real shame.

The supporters we had in Russia, the ones that travel to further afield destinations, are generally a credit to this country. Good humoured, respectful to their hosts, and no less likeable than the Irish and Scottish supporters that are always welcomed when they travel abroad.

Unfortunately, whenever we play somewhere closer to home - Portugal, France, Spain etc - the good ones are generally overshadowed by the massive amount of divs that can't handle their drink and like to spend the day before the game standing outside an Irish pub chanting abuse at the locals. 

Nevertheless, I'm well up for this tournament. 

That's not just (England) international football! That's English football, full stop! Every club, every town, every city; many many "divs" can't handle a couple of watered down, tasteless, Stella shandys. 
  • SE7toSG3 said:
    Each to thier own, my emotions for England and Charlton are equal and always have been. 

When I hear a football fan saying they 'couldn't care less about England' I can't help but wince in the way I do when the twat at a BBQ says proudly 'football, Is that the one with the round ball? like they are some intellectual comic genius. 

It doesn't make me right, but I wince all the same. I am 53 and still believe we are going to win it, every time without fail, this year is no different. 

Anyway, the day we do win it I am sure the 'Masked singer' or something similar will be on so crack on.
    Per Ardua Ad Astra  ;)
  • I find it really strange that football fans 'haven't heard of some of the England players'.

So weird.
    I genuinely hadn't heard of a few of the squad like Ben White. But that's mainly because I've paid very little attention to any football bar Charlton games for the past 18 months 
  • I find it really strange that football fans 'haven't heard of some of the England players'.

So weird.
    I genuinely hadn't heard of a few of the squad like Ben White. But that's mainly because I've paid very little attention to any football bar Charlton games for the past 18 months 
    He scored against us on the last day of the Championship season ;) 
  • edited June 2021
    England over Charlton for me. Purely because it is something everyone can share, even those that generally aren't into football. 

Add to that the fact that we are a yo yo team that get relegated a couple years after promotion too, makes it even easier to choose. 

Charlton in a Champions League final Vs England  though and we have a real question to answer.
  • What about if the Anglo-Italian Cup made a comeback 
  • Italia 90 for me was the 1st tournament as a kid I really got into and since then I have continued. You would think by now that I would be used to disappointment and not get upset when England fail, but nope it still hurts me every time. I don't cry as much as I used to do though😀