Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is anyone else not fussed about Englands progress in the euros?

Comments

• Options
    I've thought about it a bit more this afternoon and would be willing to accept a double relegation for a win Sunday.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    It’s not England vs Charlton. Support your national team. Support your domestic side.

Simple. 
    But in that scenario it is England's success at Charlton's demise... Flock right off in that scenario thanks. 
    I’m very confused.
    clb74 said he'd take relegation to L2 if it meant we won the euros... That's picking England success in return for Charlton's demise. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    It’s not England vs Charlton. Support your national team. Support your domestic side.

Simple. 
    But in that scenario it is England's success at Charlton's demise... Flock right off in that scenario thanks. 
    I’m very confused.
    clb74 said he'd take relegation to L2 if it meant we won the euros... That's picking England success in return for Charlton's demise. 
    I want both teams to do well. I don’t see why it has to be a trade off.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:

Simple. 
    I’m very confused.
    I want both teams to do well. I don’t see why it has to be a trade off.
    Oh I agree, but was answering clb
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Can’t wait to tell my grandkids about a 1-1 draw against Sheffield Wednesday in 40 years time.
    OK, we lose to Sheff Weds, England win the Euros, that's the pay off, and we fail to be promoted by a point. Bet you wished we'd taken that point instead then.
    Nope. Not one single bit. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:

Simple. 
    I’m very confused.
    Sorry Dazzler, clb74 said a double relegation, so seems he would be happy with National league for a  euro win, very strange and not on...imo B)
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:

Simple. 
    I’m very confused.
    Sorry Dazzler, clb74 said a double relegation, so seems he would be happy with National league for a  euro win, very strange and not on...imo B)
    I said league 2 this morning, but after much  thought changed to national league.
  • Options
    England are very much the Millwall of international Football so I can understand English football fans not wanting to be associated.
    Just arrange for Italy to become the Charlton of International football and it's in the bag...
  • Options
    This threads aged well! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Couldn’t care less about the national team and will be having a few quid on them going out in the group stages.
    You’re either a jock or just weird . I’m having a few quid on the latter 
    Nothing weird about trying to win a few bob on England performing badly, we have zero chance of being the outright winners 
    Errrr Mike…….
  • Options
    Will I care about this summer’s progress? Yes, at least a bit to begin with. How invested will I be? More so as each round passes.
    Me on Sunday

We do have some ugly women in this country.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Couldn’t care less about the national team and will be having a few quid on them going out in the group stages.
    Double Whammy.

Wasting your money and looking like a knob at the same time. 

Congratulations!
    Actually, gobshite, I’m a Scotland supporter. I made money when Costa Rica won the group in 2014 at 50-1 and England crashed out. 

Wanker.
    Ouch. I hope you do win something just to keep morale up. It must be painful supporting Scotland. Sadly the odds on Scotland crashing out aren't as generous for some reason.

In all seriousness though why comment? If you're Scottish then this thread doesn't apply to you. You've tried to make it sound like you're English.

Strange behaviour.
    You’re right, there’s no value in backing Scotland at current prices. England not to qualify isn’t a bad price at 28-1 though. 5-1 to win the tournament is a joke.
    I actually think that following England must be as painful because of the expectation levels.
    Im not a Scotland fan who despises England, I just think they’re over rated in most tournaments.
    Apologies for commenting in a thread that doesn’t apply to me.
    Oh no…
  • Options
    Of course I want England to win but I don't really know the players and I haven't been to an England game since I saw a few friendlies at Wembley in 1968. (Anyone remember Eusebio?).

But I've spent most of my life suffering or enjoying the ups and downs of a football league club.

So I'm getting to feel like I do when there's a royal marriage between people I've never met and it's supposed to be more joyous than when a close mate that you've known since school quietly marries his best friend in  a registry office?

There's no comparison really. Final answer.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Croydon said:
    It's mad to think that kids born this decade will just think England are good. Two semis on the bounce, probably do well next year too, and all the squad still young.

Play club or country with them - 'club everytime, I've seen England make finals loads' 
    I know England are doing well.

But I'm not sure about being that excited...
  • Options
    Your Irish this is amazing. Country over club always . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Can’t wait to tell my grandkids about a 1-1 draw against Sheffield Wednesday in 40 years time.
    OK, we lose to Sheff Weds, England win the Euros, that's the pay off, and we fail to be promoted by a point. Bet you wished we'd taken that point instead then.
    Wow I have no words. 
    Seems you had five of them ...
  • Options
    now people are just saying stuff for effect!

absolutely no way you'd swap a win Sunday for a point against Sheff Wed - ridiculous
    I would, honestly. I want England to win but Charlton is more important to me and affects my life more than the England national team do.
    It's the final of the Euro's, not a qualifier away to Andorra.

The biggest game this country has had for 55 years. Unless you're in your mid-60s or older you've never seen anything like this.

And you'd take a point at home to a side who are on a transfer embargo and haven't paid their players for weeks? 
    Transfer embargo has been lifted.
  • Options
    I've been thinking about this and on reflection I am not bothered about England's progress in the Euros.
  • Options
    So here's the thing. I woke up this morning and there's no feeling of regret, annoyance, anger, sadness, frustration etc that I get after a Charlton loss. 

That's the difference for me, whilst it would have been nice to witness us winning the Euros, at the same time I don't care about it afterwards, and have no emotional attachment to the players either.

Call me weird but whatever that's how I feel about it, I have a much bigger emotional attachment to Charlton
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    So here's the thing. I woke up this morning and there's no feeling of regret, annoyance, anger, sadness, frustration etc that I get after a Charlton loss. 

That's the difference for me, whilst it would have been nice to witness us winning the Euros, at the same time I don't care about it afterwards, and have no emotional attachment to the players either.

Call me weird but whatever that's how I feel about it, I have a much bigger emotional attachment to Charlton
    I am the opposite. With Charlton we lose, and in 5 days we can put it right again. We play 40 games a year and will generally win some, draw some and lose some.

I feel a broken shell this morning. So close to our countries finest sporting hour (in my lifetime) and now thats it. Gone. Over. It may well never come round again.

Agree with all of the above except the bold.  Think we have seen that none of the European teams are untouchable and we have finished in a wc semi and got pipped in a euros final.   Not sure what the south American state of international football is but I think we are in a great era for English football and won't be surprised if we reach the latter stages and who knows what again in the next few tournaments.

We've matured tactically as the team demonstrated this tournament and albeit far from the finished article it doesn't feel like we are out in the football wildnerness like it has done for generations before.
  • Options
    I actually think I'm going to struggle to go back to Charlton. I've really enjoyed watching some decent football. People said the soul was gone from football. A lot of people said these England players only care about money. This tournament proved that wrong. I'm gutted this morning, feel totally flat and can't concentrate on work at all. When it comes round to watching Charlton hoofing it up to Stockley and Watson wandering around the pitch, I'm not sure my heart is it anymore. Or maybe I'm not thinking clearly today. 
  • Options
    I actually think I'm going to struggle to go back to Charlton. I've really enjoyed watching some decent football. People said the soul was gone from football. A lot of people said these England players only care about money. This tournament proved that wrong. I'm gutted this morning, feel totally flat and can't concentrate on work at all. When it comes round to watching Charlton hoofing it up to Stockley and Watson wandering around the pitch, I'm not sure my heart is it anymore. Or maybe I'm not thinking clearly today. 
    Yeah I feel like that but times a healer and getting back down the valley will make the world right again 
  • Options

I felt a bit like that today but it will wear off an will be back getting the hump at our mediocrity week in week out come first game of the season.

Charlton is like your miserable vocation that you know you'll do until you drop; England is like the bi annual trip to magaluf where you pick up chlamydia but still can't wait to get back again once it's all cleared up.