Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pre-season Friendlies

Comments

• Great place Celtic Manor….don’t remember seeing a football pitch there 
    I thought the same, and Google Earth doesn't suggest many places to play unless its jackets for goalposts in the car park. The Vale Resort a bit further down the M4, however, has some lovely pitches...
    Yes, The Vale of Glamorgan resort has excellent facilities & is where the Welsh Rugby team stay & train before home matches.
  • Interesting looking at the Welling United schedule

Only three dates available that a Charlton friendly can potentially be played

Have to think we'll play them on the 6th just before we head off to Newport for the training camp. 
  • I try to be fair and dislike Rangers and Celtic equally. They are similar because they have been built around bigotry. I believe our own Paul Elliot gave this as a reason why the Glasgow derby meant little to him as a game.
  • edited June 2021
    Interesting looking at the Welling United schedule

Have to think we'll play them on the 6th just before we head off to Newport for the training camp. 
    Paulie has just shown me a tweet from a Director at Welling replying to the above saying that there wont be a Charlton friendly this year

• Didnt we mess Welling about a bit under Roland with the revenue? - Seem to remember reading that Welling would keep the entirety of the proceeds prior to him, that then changed when Roland showed up
  • Interesting looking at the Welling United schedule

Paulie has just shown me a tweet from a Director at Welling replying to the above saying that there wont be a Charlton friendly this year

Paul Leeds a director at Welling United has confirmed this.

I cannot remember the last time we didn't play them pre-season.
  • If true, this is a pity ... always well attended. 
  • Seems it was down to the fact that we wanted to send an XI team there rather than the First Team
  • Sponsored links:

• Massive shame not to continue our tradition of playing Welling, would be interested in the full story behind it.

• For background, we are obliged to play Dartford as per the agreement surrounding the use of Princes Park for the U23s during the season. 
    (I understand that Welling were approached first about hosting our U23 games, but turned it down).
    As that game had to be fitted in, it made it very difficult to factor in a Welling fixture around the rest of this pre-season schedule, unfortunately. 
    I believe there’s been an effort by us to try and arrange a CAFC XI team to play at Welling instead, but I’m unsure where that stands. 
    Not impressed with that.  

Oh well, I guess not everything changes for the better.  
  • CAFCTrev said:
    Welling could really do with the money, I really hope we can get some kind of friendly sorted with them.
    Yup 
  • That’s disappointing news. Not only is that a tradition gone, but at a time when Welling could do with the revenue more than ever. 
    Exactly 

• For background, we are obliged to play Dartford as per the agreement surrounding the use of Princes Park for the U23s during the season. 
    (I understand that Welling were approached first about hosting our U23 games, but turned it down).
    As that game had to be fitted in, it made it very difficult to factor in a Welling fixture around the rest of this pre-season schedule, unfortunately. 
    I believe there’s been an effort by us to try and arrange a CAFC XI team to play at Welling instead, but I’m unsure where that stands. 

If I was Welling, I'd tell Charlton to jog on to a u23's match.
  • Sponsored links:

But are we obliged to play a first team at Dartford...?  It seems we have shot ourselves in the foot with this one.

Not very happy about this at all. Welling is always THE season curtain raiser. To replace it with playing Dartford instead is very poor imo.

TS has made his first boo boo. Just hope its the last. 
    On buying the Club he insisted the Welling friendly was dumped or the deal was off, at least that’s what I heard ....

But are we obliged to play a first team at Dartford...?  Surely we should be sending a CAFC 11 to Dartford & a First 11 to Welling. Seems we have shot ourselves in the foot with this one.

Not very happy about this at all. Welling is always THE season curtain raiser. To replace it with playing Dartford instead is very poor imo.

TS has made his first boo boo. Just hope its the last. 
    Do shut up 
    Get a decent breakfast down you mate and come down from the ceiling.
  • Drop the Bromley game and play Welling. 

• Disappointed to hear that we won’t be playing Welling. It’s a tradition which is worth keeping and maintaining. I try not to be one of those supporters who moans constantly, but as a community club shouldn’t we look to support the local community clubs as well.
    Dartford a local community club, so they are doing exactly you as you asked. 
    Not for Charlton though. There are plenty of other more 'local' teams.
  • PopIcon said:
    Disappointed to hear that we won’t be playing Welling. It’s a tradition which is worth keeping and maintaining. I try not to be one of those supporters who moans constantly, but as a community club shouldn’t we look to support the local community clubs as well.
    Dartford a local community club, so they are doing exactly you as you asked. 
    Not for Charlton though. There are plenty of other more 'local' teams.
    Take a visit to Dartford railway station on a Charlton home match day and you will find that Dartford / North Kent is indeed a local team for Charlton
    That must make London local to Manchester United.

Dartford is many things, but I wouldn’t say it’s “local” to Charlton.