Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jason Pearce signs a contract extension (to 2021)

Comments

• Options
    I'd be surprised if he isn't given a years contract. He'll be important for the younger players and the dressing room and will likely see some game time and a good centre half to warm the bench. But if he's a regular starter next year at his age then we likely won't have a tight title winning defence!

You always need a mix of experience and youth, we've probably got too many old hands at the moment but suspect that will change.
  • Options
    "Hard work starts now"...?!
    Footballers aren’t usually the smartest, pearcey has had more whacks to the head than most as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I think, if he is offered a new deal, that he will know he will be a back up. People often focus on the best eleven, but having the right back up options is key and I'm sure Pearce still has something to offer.
  • Options
    More than happy if Pearce is 4th choice and still club captain next season.

I don't actually think he has got any worse, he was never quick to start with.  One of the very few players we have that is actually good at game management.  Bizarrely, for someone of his character and experience, needs a partner that keeps him on his toes. 
  • Options
    A solid 5 years with the club including some real highs for which we can all appreciate, but if the plan is a real go at promotion next season, while ensuring that we have a solid foundation for Championship level football season after next (ideally needed to add/swap out half a dozen players rather than a 15 player overhaul), then I box my heart in and let my head rule by not renewing Jason, but targeting a younger, but still experienced reliable warrior.

Sentiment is not going to take us all the way back to Premier League glory days and we are not discrediting ourselves for thanking players for their service and letting out of contract players actually leave.

If Watson and Gunter were not staying, I would be more up for renewing Jason, but just do not think we can afford to be carrying very many 32+ year olds if we are being serious about progressing, not just through a league one promotion, but into the Championship and beyond. A strategy requires strategic decisions and I fully expect to see them executed to realise Thomas and let’s face it, most of our fans’ ambitions.
  • Options
    I was critical of Pearce around Jan/Feb time but he did improve and you can never questions his attitude. 

I am happy if he is given another 12 months as think he knows the club and is properly good for the squad as captain and leader. I would like to see another left sided centre back come in though and expect Pearce will not be first choice. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We need to look to the future now. If you don't replace players in their mid 30s then you end up in a situation needing an overhaul of the spine. The only reason we have this ageing spine of the team is due to the embargo (Pearce/Pratley/Watson). As he plays only one position, he may not want to be 4th choice on reduced terms. 

As mentioned, I'd be happy to keep one of the oldies but no more please. The reason being is that they have failed to deliver. Simple. No further sentiment needed.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I must have been watching a different player this season. Is this recency bias? Because he had a decent run at the end there, but 50% of the time he's been awful. In fact in the middle of the season, he was terrible. Next season he's going to be another yard slower. 

I will always think fondly of JP and if he stays in a coaching capacity, fantastic. He's a respected pro. But we have to move on and build a squad at all levels that can challenge for the title. 
    Yep, for all the talk of the Oxford penalty miss costing us it's worth remembering that if Pearce doesn't make those errors in the middle of the season (Peterborough away springs to mind) then we'd have done enough for a play off spot.

If Adkins wants him on his coaching team then fine but I hope he's not in the playing squad next season.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    On the basis of contracts and so forth, if the idea that we have to pick one of Watson/Pratley/Pearce to keep as the experienced training mentor type, it would most likely be Watson if as rumoured he's automatically triggered a contract extension.

Which is aggravating as of the three he'd be the one I'd be keenest to get shot of as his attitude has been pretty poor at times and he offers the least in terms of leadership and popularity in the squad from what I can see.

Has Euell officially been replaced as U21 manager now he's stepped up? That might be an option for Pearce if we want to keep him around but not on the pitch (assuming he'd be interested.)

• Options
    He's clearly keen on the coaching side, Jason Euell's previous role would be a great option.

I'd happily have him as a squad player
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    We need to look to the future now. If you don't replace players in their mid 30s then you end up in a situation needing an overhaul of the spine. The only reason we have this ageing spine of the team is due to the embargo (Pearce/Pratley/Watson). As he plays only one position, he may not want to be 4th choice on reduced terms. 

As mentioned, I'd be happy to keep one of the oldies but no more please. The reason being is that they have failed to deliver. Simple. No further sentiment needed.
    If you realsed everybody that is out of contract and "got rid" of Watson, Gunter and Schwartz (I know that's not what your saying but I am taking it to the nth degree) you basically need 20 new players.

People don't want loans, I don't agree, but can see the argument.

You can't sign 20 of the type of players everyone wants, on long term contracts, in one window and expect them all to work out. 
  • Options
    We sign him as back up but the thing is our supposed starting 11 will no doubt be injured for majority of the season and the likes of Pearce will end up playing in most games. 
    And Pearce for me is not such a bad replacement. I'd definitely give him another year. 
  • Options
    He didn't get in the team in the final games. I think this makes it clear for the future. A new left sided centre back is needed. If they intend to sign two Jason may be on the released list.
  • Options
    This seasons "problem with Pearce" has so much been Pearce himself.  Since he came back from injury at the end of November he has played pretty much ever game bar his suspension and the last week of the season.

Since then, about 30 games, he has in effect been first choice partnered by a combination of Pratley, Oshilaja and which ever one of Famewo or Inniss we managed to get 90 minutes out of.  That's been the problem.  If he was relegated to the role of Oshilaja (who still played 20 games) we would have been fine. 

Certainly good enough to be 4th choice, possibly even 3rd if we get 30 plus games out of Inniss. 
  • Options
    No brainer keeping someone of Pearce's experience and battling qualities for another season. His influence at SL cannot be discounted either.

Would not have kept him if we had gone up though
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Chunes said:
    I must have been watching a different player this season. Is this recency bias? Because he had a decent run at the end there, but 50% of the time he's been awful. In fact in the middle of the season, he was terrible. Next season he's going to be another yard slower. 

I will always think fondly of JP and if he stays in a coaching capacity, fantastic. He's a respected pro. But we have to move on and build a squad at all levels that can challenge for the title. 
    He looked poor mainly partnering Oshilaja, Gunter or Pratley and he'd just returned from being out injured for some time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Chunes said:

He looked poor mainly partnering Oshilaja, Gunter or Pratley and he'd just returned from being out injured for some time.
    I think that's revising history. Can go back to the threads at the time. Don't think partnerships can explain his very individual errors.
  • Options
    As a 4th choice CB, playing around 10 games and coming into the team for Cups could works for me. I'm confident that NA isn't the kind of manager that will shore things up for a win by bringing Pearce on for the last ten minutes of Ruggers.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

I think that's revising history. Can go back to the threads at the time. Don't think partnerships can explain his very individual errors.
    I agree - to a degree! But having an inexperienced out of position central defensive partner must surely have increased the pressure on Pearce. Increased pressure leads to error.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

I'll agree to disagree on that.
    I think if you're playing alongside Inniss you will be more confident. assured and be able to concentrate on your own game, without worrying what error your partner is about to make.
  • Options
    I would keep pearcey on a player-coach contract. That way we can use him if needed but also when not in the squad he can still be in and around the dugout during games, motivating from the sidelines and in the dressing room. He's a leader and I feel he has taken to loving us just as JJ and many before him have. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

I agree - to a degree! But having an inexperienced out of position central defensive partner must surely have increased the pressure on Pearce. Increased pressure leads to error.
    Not ones like this, surely...

I think some strong sentiment is at play on this thread, which is fair enough. No doubting JP is an absolutely top bloke and all the players speak highly of him. 

But like Curbs said. You can't be too loyal.  He did let us down last year, no matter what way we look at it. He's not at his best anymore and he's only going downhill from here. He's got no resale value and I would personally rather see a backup with a bit of promise, who would potentially be fighting for a long-term first team place and see us building for the future. But it's in Adkins hands.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I think Pearce is a suitable back up/ player coach, but he is far too slow on the turn and error prone to be first choice. 
  • Options
    "Hard work starts now"...?!

Strange choice of words to use just as the season finishes!  
    The hard work to rebuild the team and get everyone up to speed is what I'd guess he means. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    bobmunro said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Like this one...

I think some strong sentiment is at play on this thread, which is fair enough. No doubting JP is an absolutely top bloke and all the players speak highly of him. 

But like Curbs said. You can't be too loyal.  He did let us down last year, no matter what way we look at it. He's not at his best anymore and he's only going downhill from here. He's got no resale value and I would personally rather see a backup with a bit of promise, who would potentially be fighting for a long-term first team place, and see us building towards the future.

To think of the comments Deji has been getting... He and Pearce together was always an awful pairing. 
  • Options
    But you like Deji @Dazzler21