Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jason Pearce signs a contract extension (to 2021)

Comments

• Options
    Adkins has also talked about a pathway for coaches as well as players - maybe this is what he’s thinking with JO.

They have a highly qualified coach in the ranks who I believe had already trained some of the younger age groups.

IMO air would be a great decision to keep him in house, benefit from his strengths as a leader while he develops as a coach.
  • Options
    I'm sorry but giving him a contract is not the ruthless move we need to make, he is below par and should be binned off
    Certainly wouldn't expect him to be starting many games but i see no issue with having him as a squad player. He's ok to be 4th choice centre back in this league.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    3rd choice... 4th choice... We all know they're going to spend at least a few months playing as 1st choice.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    3rd choice... 4th choice... We all know they're going to spend at least a few months playing as 1st choice.
    This year will (hopefully) be different.

Danny Murphy should now be settled at the club and have plans in place for players those staying at the club.

Our manager is a former physio (with about 10 years experience in the role at Scunthorpe). I can’t see him consistently training the players as intensively as Bowyer did. Despite regularly playing two games a week we had very few injuries under Adkins.

Our owner is investing in areas such as the medical and scouting departments that had been neglected for years.

We won’t be scraping around for bargain frees and loans, we can expect to see more signings that are proven players with good fitness records.
  • Options
    If Pearce is going to move into another role in the club then give him another year and keep him as a backup.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:

Danny Murphy should now be settled at the club and have plans in place for players those staying at the club.

Our manager is a former physio (with about 10 years experience in the role at Scunthorpe). I can’t see him consistently training the players as intensively as Bowyer did. Despite regularly playing two games a week we had very few injuries under Adkins.

Our owner is investing in areas such as the medical and scouting departments that had been neglected for years.

We won’t be scraping around for bargain frees and loans, we can expect to see more signings that are proven players with good fitness records.
    Wish I had any confidence that our injuries were behind us. And we still have Inniss, although he's right-sided, it's another CB who will spend time out next season. If Pearce stays, happily take a charity bet that he plays 20 games. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:

I have no confidence our injuries are behind us. And we still have Inniss, although he's right-sided, it's another CB who will definitely spend time out next season. If Pearce stays, happily take a charity bet that he plays 20 games. 
    In theory the injury curse should be behind us because you'd expect us to be looking at younger, fitter players. Not struggling because the owner doesn't want to spend, or because we're under an embargo and are then left scraping around for freebies that no one else wants on deadline day.
  • Options
    I think it is sensible to have a player like Pearce at the club as long as he is 4th or 5th choice and there is a coaching role for him. It doesn't lack ambition, but is cover for an emergency. Hopefully one that won't happen, but you are not likely to find better as 4th or 5th choice IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolutely no problem with Pearce staying, but not as Captain if he's not going to be a stalwart of the side.
    A captain should be in the mix for the majority of games and should be the managers ears, eyes and mouth on the pitch in my humble opinion.
  • Options
    Absolutely no problem with Pearce staying, but not as Captain if he's not going to be a stalwart of the side.
    A captain should be in the mix for the majority of games and should be the managers ears, eyes and mouth on the pitch in my humble opinion.
    We've not really had that kind of leadership on the pitch since Jackson honestly. Pearce had the experience and personality for the role but was too often slow or behind the game to captain effectively. JFC showed promising signs but his injury has scuppered that.

We need someone on the pitch who will be the inspiration when things go wrong and keep the players going to the very end. 
  • Options
    If we are talking about the captain being someone who will be playing week in week out, that does beg the question "who is that player"? Most of the ones I can think of have the unfortunate knack of getting injured.
    I think I remember Adkins saying in an interview that he likes keepers to be captain.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    If we are talking about the captain being someone who will be playing week in week out, that does beg the question "who is that player"? Most of the ones I can think of have the unfortunate knack of getting injured.
    I think I remember Adkins saying in an interview that he likes keepers to be captain.
    Well they do get a view of the full field and everything that's going on ahead of them...
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I must have been watching a different player this season. Is this recency bias? Because he had a decent run at the end there, but 50% of the time he's been awful. In fact in the middle of the season, he was terrible. Next season he's going to be another yard slower. 

I will always think fondly of JP and if he stays in a coaching capacity, fantastic. He's a respected pro. But we have to move on and build a squad at all levels that can challenge for the title. 
    A bit OTT with your criticism of JP in my opinion, he had a splendid finish to the season.
    However, I agree his shelf life is a bit limited from here on in.
    I want him in and around the squad and will be more than happy to see him retained in some capacity or another.
  • Options
    I'm thinking Gilbey could well be Nigels man.
  • Options
    Crikey. First player I can remember who is past his 'Shelf life' and is a couple of months younger than my son.

I've got no chance of a contract now.
  • Options
    Pearce is one of those CBs who need a few weeks back in the team to get back up to speed - I remember Sweaty Balmer and Jon Fortune being like that too.  Also helps if he's alongside an established in form CB rather than Pratley, Gunter or Oshilaja.  
  • Options
    Pearce is one of those CBs who need a few weeks back in the team to get back up to speed - I remember Sweaty Balmer and Jon Fortune being like that too.  Also helps if he's alongside an established in form CB rather than Pratley, Gunter or Oshilaja.  
    I was just thinking that, but probably still a better option than throwing a youngster in. Will be easier if we have a settled team playing well. When he was struggling we were defending poorly as a team, he was more exposed and probably not at his peak fitness that comes with regular game time.
  • Options
    Lots of variables at play. Can Jason get a better deal in terms of length, elsewhere compared to what we want to offer, if we do offer him something that is. Could he prefer a drop down to a lower league but with a coaching roll ? Who else are we releasing - Deji ? Can we get in who we want ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe Pearcey gets offered a 1 year deal because we stay in League One? To have him in the squad and around the dressing room can only be a positive.

If the miracle had happened and seen us next season playing Championship football, surely it would have been "Thanks for everything, Jase" ....?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Maybe Pearcey gets offered a 1 year deal because we stay in League One? To have him in the squad and around the dressing room can only be a positive.

If the miracle had happened and seen us next season playing Championship football, surely it would have been "Thanks for everything, Jase" ....?

I'm sure the player himself will know his level, and that he's not capable of playing in the Championship now. Indeed you can imagine that he and Adkins might have discussed his future already, as Captain and a senior pro, I'm sure they talk a lot together about the team anyway.
  • Options
    Last few months Pearce has been solid, he also got championship player of the month in the last 12 months.

For league one he's still more than capable. Hope he stays and I expect he will but he'll be as 3rd choice behind two starting centre backs next season. 
  • Options
    With the players being talked to on Tuesday, would've thought there'd have been some announcements made by now
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    With the players being talked to on Tuesday, would've thought there'd have been some announcements made by now
    The club normally announces the released/retained players at the same time, Millwall announced theirs yesterday, i would expect an announcement from Charlton very soon.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Thought it was said they hoped to have the released/retained list sorted by Friday.
  • Options
    Is Pearce working towards the requisite coaching badges? 
  • Options
    If Adkins would like to keep him on as a coach, then that’s up to him.  I believe Jackson does a lot of the defensive work as I understand it.  

Pearce is very knowledgeable about the game and you can tell he’s intelligent and driven given the fact he’s studying for his badges, runs his own soccer school and generally how he conducts himself on social media.  

He is obviously liked and respected by his team mates, Adkins and the club.  I think he would be a good addition to the coaching staff, but I don’t want to see him given another playing contract, even if it’s player/coach.  

The same for Pratley.  I am sure both believe they have another season (or more) on the pitch, and wouldn’t be looking for roles as coaches, which means that I think they should both move on.

I know many on here have suggested Pearce and Pratley could both be kept on as squad players, good for experience etc, but personally, I think it would be the wrong move to keep both on in any sort of playing capacity.  I would say the same about Watson, but he’s triggered the extra year, so he’s already taking up a space in the squad.  
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Thought it was said they hoped to have the released/retained list sorted by Friday.
    Cheers mate, didn't see that