Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jason Pearce signs a contract extension (to 2021)

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    bobmunro said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    I must have been watching a different player this season. Is this recency bias? Because he had a decent run at the end there, but 50% of the time he's been awful. In fact in the middle of the season, he was terrible. Next season he's going to be another yard slower. 

I will always think fondly of JP and if he stays in a coaching capacity, fantastic. He's a respected pro. But we have to move on and build a squad at all levels that can challenge for the title. 
    He looked poor mainly partnering Oshilaja, Gunter or Pratley and he'd just returned from being out injured for some time.
    I think that's revising history. Can go back to the threads at the time. Don't think partnerships can explain his very individual errors.
    I agree - to a degree! But having an inexperienced out of position central defensive partner must surely have increased the pressure on Pearce. Increased pressure leads to error.
    Like the header back to Amos...

I think some strong sentiment is at play on this thread, which is fair enough. No doubting JP is an absolutely top bloke and all the players speak highly of him. 

But like Curbs said. You can't be too loyal.  He did let us down last year, no matter what way we look at it. He's not at his best anymore and he's only going downhill from here. He's got no resale value and I would personally rather see a backup with a bit of promise, who would potentially be fighting for a long-term first team place, and see us building towards the future.

We used 7 (seven) center backs this season.  Pearce was the 3rd least worse and the other 2 managed about 30 games between them.

Of course in an ideal world you would have the players you just described but it's going to be hard enough to get the 2 we definitely need.  Let alone trying for another 1. 

If Pearce is happy to be 4th choice this year we can look at a younger replacement next summer, hopefully in the championship or it gives Barker, Ness or someone else an extra year to develop and basically force him out.  Or even sign a 20 odd year old and give him a year in the u23s and around the first team.

People have been crying out for some continuity in the squad and not replacing them all in the same window.  Now people want to get rid of everyone at once. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Chunes said:
    But you like Deji @Dazzler21
    I like him as a back up option, but not first choice again. Paired with Pearce was a nightmare, their communication was missing like when they jumped into one another defending a ball over the top.

I do think he was quite good at full back. 
  • Options
    Get rid, it's his panic stations defending over the past few seasons that has led to so many late goals conceded
  • Options
    I'm ok with Pearce being fourth/fifth choice but I wouldn't want him starting more than 5/6 games in a season. If we want promotion we can't have him starting too often.
  • Options
    A couple of months ago I would say no thanks, he has shown recently that given the right partner he is still capable at this level but with the caveat that we need to be bringing in a starting CB ahead of him and possibly one more with a view on the future depending on what the CB situation is in the academy. As has been said his experience is very valuable, Browny on comms loves pointing out some of his little tricks with the time wasting etc. not only is that useful in game at certain times but would be great for any young defenders at the club. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    I like him as a back up option, but not first choice again. Paired with Pearce was a nightmare, their communication was missing like when they jumped into one another defending a ball over the top.

Neither Pearce nor Deji were arguably first choice CBs this season. If Innis and Famewo had stayed fit, you imagine they would have played the majority of the games
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:

Neither Pearce nor Deji were arguably first choice CBs this season. If Innis and Famewo had stayed fit, you imagine they would have played the majority of the games
    Absolutely agree. That's how I'd like things to stay. Deji can cover either full back or worst case scenario CB. I see no harm in keeping him (if he is cheap).

Same goes for Pearce as 2nd/3rd choice with a coaching role attached, would see little harm in keeping him. Especially as others have said, Pearce really seemed to have stepped up in his last 10-15 games... Was he aware Bowyer was leaving prior to his announcement to the squad?
  • Options
    I'm ok with Pearce being fourth/fifth choice but I wouldn't want him starting more than 5/6 games in a season. If we want promotion we can't have him starting too often.
    This with bells on. Happy to give him a year extension, with the club captaincy, for his influence around SL. But he should nowhere near a promotion chasing defence. WWE style defending with a risk of calamity thrown in.
  • Options
    It's funny as fans, it's like we decide who should just be a coach at the club. Yeah make him player/coach...sorted. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    mendonca said:
    It's funny as fans, it's like we decide who should just be a coach at the club. Yeah make him player/coach...sorted. 
    It's no worse than saying sign him, don't sign him, get rid of him or keep him is it?

Its people that think it will happen, or does happen, because some bloke suggested it on a forum that you have to watch out for :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    He's trained as a coach & has a working relationship in place already with Adkins. It's supposition as if he's not adding anything from a coaching perspective, he'd probably be out of our price range to be 3rd, 4th* or 5th* choice CB (*Should be filled by young players)

That would give us 

Goalkeeping Coach - Andy Marshall
    Defensive Coach - Jason Pearce
    Assistant Manager and Midfield Coach - Johnnie Jackson
    Attacking Coach - Jason Euell

However, I'd be happy for a defensive coach to come in with experience too.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    We’ve got to trust Nigels Judgement, not just players but coaches may move on as well?
  • Options
    I'd give him another year as back up and club captain. He was definitely rushed back from injury and is half a yard slower but he's the type of player that will put his head in the way of anything and when you're 1-0 up away at Fleetwood on a wet Tuesday you need those guys around. 
  • Options
    It might be a good idea for him to mentor Barker for a season. I'm sure he could impart a lot of knowledge.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    More than happy if Pearce is 4th choice and still club captain next season.

I don't actually think he has got any worse, he was never quick to start with.  One of the very few players we have that is actually good at game management.  Bizarrely, for someone of his character and experience, needs a partner that keeps him on his toes. 
     Captain and on the bench most of the time?

Nah. Not having that.
  • Options
    I know from a player that Jase is incredibly well regarded at the club, also apparently will make an excellent manager one day as he has great tactical understanding and is a real people person. Don’t mind him being a squad player but hope he doesn’t play too often.
    Thought you were talking about Euell for a moment... then remembered that Pearce is also a Jason. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:

I don't actually think he has got any worse, he was never quick to start with.  One of the very few players we have that is actually good at game management.  Bizarrely, for someone of his character and experience, needs a partner that keeps him on his toes. 

Nah. Not having that.
    Yeah Captain should play week in, week out. Kinsella, Holland, Bailey, Jackson*, Solly*

*to a lesser extent the more their injuries restricted them. (their legs went)
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Nah. Not having that.
    Club captain?  Solly and Jackson have been club captain and hardly played. I don't see the problem? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Nah. Not having that.
    Club captain?  Solly and Jackson have been club captain and hardly played. I don't see the problem? 
    Solly and Jackson were both regular starters when they became captain. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Nah. Not having that.
    They certainly were not when they were still club captain though.  Which is the comperable situation. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Nah. Not having that.
    They certainly were not when they were still club captain though.  Which is the comperable situation. 
    Fair
  • Options
    If we are talking about the captain being someone who will be playing week in week out, that does beg the question "who is that player"? Most of the ones I can think of have the unfortunate knack of getting injured.
  • Options
    Interesting twitter profile.

Remember he has done all this while still a player.

Obviously thinking ahead to where he wants to be.

Whether that is with us as a player, coach, scout or CEO we shall see.

Captain of CAFC. Uefa A licence coach. PFSA scouting L1,2&3. Youth modules. SBI management & marketing. Owner of
    @academyjp6

The UEFA A Licence is a coaching licence mandated by UEFA, the official governing body of European football.[1] The licence is one level below the UEFA Pro Licence and allows holders to be head coaches of youth teams up to age 18, reserve teams (also known as 'B' teams) for top-flight clubs, and men's professional second-tier clubs.[2]  From Wikipedia

https://thepfsa.co.uk/level-3-online/

The PFSA Advanced Reporting course provides an in-depth insight into reporting while exploring the power of evolving technology. We deliver this industry-leading football analysis course online, which enables you to also network with industry professionals and connect like never before.

The PFSA Level 3 Advanced Reporting takes the Level 2 Talent Identification In Football course to the next level, by building on day two’s player, team and match analysis. The new online Level 3 is 100% online and powered by Zoom conferencing. Network with new and experienced football scouts from across the globe whilst learning and connecting with industry professionals.

https://www.sbibarcelona.com/

• Options
    edited May 2021
    If he becomes our defensive coach, lets hope it's focus won't be on maintaining a deep line.

It might mean that NA's first team coaching squad are newbies, learning on the job. Not all players make good coaches but I agree we should support the development
  • Options

Captain of CAFC. Uefa A licence coach. PFSA scouting L1,2&3. Youth modules. SBI management & marketing. Owner of
    @academyjp6

The UEFA A Licence is a coaching licence mandated by UEFA, the official governing body of European football.[1] The licence is one level below the UEFA Pro Licence and allows holders to be head coaches of youth teams up to age 18, reserve teams (also known as 'B' teams) for top-flight clubs, and men's professional second-tier clubs.[2]  From Wikipedia

The PFSA Advanced Reporting course provides an in-depth insight into reporting while exploring the power of evolving technology. We deliver this industry-leading football analysis course online, which enables you to also network with industry professionals and connect like never before.

The PFSA Level 3 Advanced Reporting takes the Level 2 Talent Identification In Football course to the next level, by building on day two’s player, team and match analysis. The new online Level 3 is 100% online and powered by Zoom conferencing. Network with new and experienced football scouts from across the globe whilst learning and connecting with industry professionals.

That's impressive when you consider how some players have gone straight into management with no qualifications at all. He also has a LinkedIn page

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jason-pearce-433081185/?originalSubdomain=uk
  • Options

@academyjp6

That's impressive when you consider how some players have gone straight into management with no qualifications at all. He also has a LinkedIn page

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jason-pearce-433081185/?originalSubdomain=uk
    I don't have linkedin so can't see it, but please tell me his profile picture is his slightly gormless squad profile picture
  • Options
    Keep him on. Towards the end of the season he was playing in a settled side. Was fully match fit and had our best players around him. He did well in this period. 

He should have 3 centre backs ahead of him next season but he can be next seasons Andy Hughes - a player who is seemingly past it but turns out to be hugely influential around the dressing room. 

We need to make changes but with so many changes required, better to keep a few influential players who know the club well. I’d keep Pratley over Watson for the same reason, but again wouldn’t want him playing too many matches. 
  • Options
    Think his time should be up.