Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Richard J said:
    Connor Ogilvie at Gillingham would be a good left sided centre back / left back.

He is out of contract. 
    Would be a good addition and good enough to start for us imo, that would be our left sided defense sorted with Purrington as back up. The exact type of signings I want to see, cherry pick the best players from the teams around us 

Interesting stat on headers won
    Will be curious to see that stat next season if Stockley is signing on a permanent basis
  • I really liked the look of Panutche Camará at Plymouth. Think he would be a solid foundation to build a possession-orientated midfield on. Reasonable target as well at a good age. 

Convincing Pigott to come home would be an unbelievable piece of business. 
    Camara had a good game against us but came 4th in Plymouth Player of the year vote with 13% of the vote.  For a team that finished mid table I think that doesn't make him sound a great prospect overall.
  • Richard J said:
    Connor Ogilvie at Gillingham would be a good left sided centre back / left back.

He is out of contract. 
    Would be a good addition and good enough to start for us imo, that would be our left sided defense sorted with Purrington as back up. The exact type of signings I want to see, cherry pick the best players from the teams around us 

It would be more interesting if we knew how many headers he’d contested. Did he win 25%, 50%?
  • Kyle Dempsey was the best player I saw via the streaming service against Charlton this year. Could be attracting Championship clubs. But age, determination, knows the division would all tick the right boxes.
  • edited May 2021
    Richard J said:

He is out of contract. 
    Didn't know he's out of contract. Very classy footballer, I'd be over the moon if we brought him in.

Cousins is out of contract at Stoke, still only 27. If he is injury free he could be an excellent addition as the mobile CDM.
    He's exactly the kind of athletic, all-round midfielder we need. Can press, win the ball and play forwards. But would he be motivated back in league one.
  • I would keep Matthews and Watson but let Gunter and Pratley go and bring in younger players at right back and centre midfield to challenge or be first choice ahead of Matthews and Gunter.

If Pearce stays I would hope he is more of a squad player next season than first choice. Same goes for Purrington. I think he has been stronger defensively than Maatsen but would be good to see someone who can combine that side of the game along with being strong going forward. Purrington is a perfectly adequate back up at L1 level.
    The club can't just let Gunter go.  He has a contract.  Unless he does something so bad that we can sack him, we have to pay him.

I don't know if you've got a job but assuming you have, what would you say if your boss asked you to go and sign on with no compensation because they wanted to bring in someone else?
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    People are very scarred by Ajose. His name seems to come up every time a player has a decent goalscoring season and we look at him. Sometimes it's just a flash in the pan and sometimes it's the start of a player figuring himself out, the management will hopefully be able to judge that. We don't have to cross ourselves to ward off Ajose's spirit every time though
    Nicky Ajose, Andy Gray, Izale Mcleod, Paul Benson... Scarred by them all
    I'd like to also claim some scarring from Pawel Abbott, David Mooney and Akpo Sodje
    We must corner the market in ineffective 'strikers'.
  • Hoolahan is one of those players I always wanted us to sign. Great little player.

Remember Alan Pardew agreed a 200,000 fee for Hoolahan but Richard Murray pulled the deal because he could not afford it 
    Did this happen? Who did we end up with instead?
    No one .. he joined Norwich instead and the rest they say 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    How I think we'll go into the new season:

GK: Amos | Maynard-Brewer
    RB: Matthews | Gunter
    CB: Inniss | Pearce | Centre-Back | Centre-Back
    LB: Purrington | Left-Back
    W: Jaiyesimi | Left-Wing | Right-Wing | Right-Wing
    Mid: Forster-Caskey | Morgan | Gilbey | Watson | Pratley | CM | CM | CM
    Strikers: Stockley | Washington | Schwartz | Forward

Dont think we'll have the massive squad overhaul that people are hoping for.

10 new players looks pretty massive to me....!
    Not really if 5 are loans. 
    I'm hoping we can move away from requiring 5 loans every season to build a squad. If you release another 5 suddenly that's 10 signings you need to bring in every summer.

We only started bringing that many in on loan due to Roland losing interest which resulted in him cutting back on the playing budget. After he went the salary cap took over and meant it had to continue.

It might cost more in the short term but get the recruitment right and it'll pay off in the longer term.

Comes down to how much TS wants to spend and who's available I guess.
    I think ruling out loans is cutting your nose off to spite your face.  It's the type of loan, the same as any transfer, that's the risk/issue. 

You can get, on loan, players you could never sign on a perm.  You can also  "try before you buy".  I also think, due to the current financial situation your will see more "Shinnie type" transfers to off load players in their final year.  We may see one or two of these going out this season?

The loans you don't want the one we had under Parkinson and Pardew, but you can't now anyway. 

All the time there are bigger clubs than you, you should, absolutely use loans.  Even Powell's title winners had 5 over the season. 
    I’m not ruling them out, I’m saying I hope we cut down on the number of them from 5 to say 2/3. It’ll help us build a team for the longer term and we won’t have so much to do in summer window next year. Handy to have a few spots free ready for January if we need them too.

After the August window closed Powell only had Cort on loan. The other four were short term loans mainly used to cover injuries and add depth.
  • Richard J said:

He is out of contract. 

What hell has Vadaine Oliver been doing?
    Yeah but he is 9ft 3ins
  • edited May 2021
    CAFCDAZ said:
    How much will Stockley cost, roughly?
    £400k?.
    I would say less, last year of contract as was only bought for 700k ish, 250k ish. 
    After his goal record with us I'd say they'd want close to 500k. Well worthwhile 
    Don't say things like that, you don't know who from the Preston hierarchy reads this forum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hoolahan is one of those players I always wanted us to sign. Great little player.

Remember Alan Pardew agreed a 200,000 fee for Hoolahan but Richard Murray pulled the deal because he could not afford it 

2008 ..... he had a release clause of 200,000 and Murray pulled the deal 
  • Adkins meeting with players today. We should have a released list by this time next week ? I guess those he wants to keep but are out of contract will take longer to sort out. Not too long I hope. We need to know who we need to replace.

WHAT DO THEY SAY?!?
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    How I think we'll go into the new season:

GK: Amos | Maynard-Brewer
    RB: Matthews | Gunter
    CB: Inniss | Pearce | Centre-Back | Centre-Back
    LB: Purrington | Left-Back
    W: Jaiyesimi | Left-Wing | Right-Wing | Right-Wing
    Mid: Forster-Caskey | Morgan | Gilbey | Watson | Pratley | CM | CM | CM
    Strikers: Stockley | Washington | Schwartz | Forward

Dont think we'll have the massive squad overhaul that people are hoping for.

10 new players looks pretty massive to me....!
    Not really if 5 are loans. 
    I'm hoping we can move away from requiring 5 loans every season to build a squad. If you release another 5 suddenly that's 10 signings you need to bring in every summer.

We only started bringing that many in on loan due to Roland losing interest which resulted in him cutting back on the playing budget. After he went the salary cap took over and meant it had to continue.

It might cost more in the short term but get the recruitment right and it'll pay off in the longer term.

Comes down to how much TS wants to spend and who's available I guess.
    I think ruling out loans is cutting your nose off to spite your face.  It's the type of loan, the same as any transfer, that's the risk/issue. 

You can get, on loan, players you could never sign on a perm.  You can also  "try before you buy".  I also think, due to the current financial situation your will see more "Shinnie type" transfers to off load players in their final year.  We may see one or two of these going out this season?

The loans you don't want the one we had under Parkinson and Pardew, but you can't now anyway. 

All the time there are bigger clubs than you, you should, absolutely use loans.  Even Powell's title winners had 5 over the season. 
    I’m not ruling them out, I’m saying I hope we cut down on the number of them from 5 to say 2/3. It’ll help us build a team for the longer term and we won’t have so much to do in summer window next year. Handy to have a few spots free ready for January if we need them too.

After the August window closed Powell only had Cort on loan. The other four were short term loans mainly used to cover injuries and add depth.
    Because there wasn't a window for loans you could have the short term injury cover like Ephrain and Cook.  I was quite surprised Russell only played 11 games, I thought it was more, still managed to get sent off twice mind.

I think it's the same as any transfers, you get the right one and it's good, get the wrong one and it's bad.  Unless you can get 15 players, on 3 or 4 year contracts, who are good enough to play in the championship, I think you need 3 or 4 loans to add some quality as well as depth.

What I think we all agree on is we don't want the likes of Levitt, Smyth, Smith and Smith who were basically here to make up the numbers. 
  • Just on the loans thing, I'm not to worried if we bring in some quality players. The loans that made my blood boil were the long term sick-notes we took in and nursed back to health, while they couldn't give 100% (or occasionally anything at all) as they were on a slow road to recovery and didn't want to risk a relapse. Or players with some sort of pedigree and a life changing injury to balance it, and who would come in, dazzle for three games before pulling a hamstring and vanishing until a reappearance in january where they turned out on a tuesday night looking as if they had aged forty years in four months. 
    Simply the luxury of being able to run the rule over players who played 40+ games regularly, have no injuries in the closet and are under thirty years old would be a nice step in the right direction.
  • Kyle Dempsey was the best player I saw via the streaming service against Charlton this year. Could be attracting Championship clubs. But age, determination, knows the division would all tick the right boxes.
    Totally agree with this - he'd be my number one priority. He's already a top player in this league, was excellent in both games against us (and scored) and has plenty of room for growth.

Seemed to have a fantastic attitude and is the perfect profile of signing for us.
  • Just on the loans thing, I'm not to worried if we bring in some quality players. The loans that made my blood boil were the long term sick-notes we took in and nursed back to health, while they couldn't give 100% (or occasionally anything at all) as they were on a slow road to recovery and didn't want to risk a relapse. Or players with some sort of pedigree and a life changing injury to balance it, and who would come in, dazzle for three games before pulling a hamstring and vanishing until a reappearance in january where they turned out on a tuesday night looking as if they had aged forty years in four months. 
    Simply the luxury of being able to run the rule over players who played 40+ games regularly, have no injuries in the closet and are under thirty years old would be a nice step in the right direction.
    I genuinely can't think off the top of my head of a loan like that the past 3 seasons.

We've had shit loans that didn't work out but none of the reasons mentioned? 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!