Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options

Could do a job 🤣
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Henry and Barker would surely be part of the "wider" squad next season. Morgan was only 21 in February so I assume he will count as an U21

Davison and AMB were 21 before January 1st, so would be part of the 20
    I would hope so, but Barker is still playing U18 football, Davison has not pulled up trees out on loan and AMB is already our back-up keeper.

Didn't mean that we don't have any any U21s. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Like everywhere else rumours on here are exactly that, just rumours. When I read one I look at what I'm reading and then decide the probability of it likely to happen, I may be right I may be wrong when the facts are out but when it is just a rumour that I find is the best way to deal with it. Even when I read something that doesnt sound likely I still very much like to read it and decide what I think the likelyhood. If I dont think there is much chance I would never pull the poster up, what would be the point in that ? in my book any rumour is a good rumour until proven otherwise  :)
    Agree a rumour is a rumour not a stone cold fact, I'd say 75% of rumors stem completely from someones own imagination however they are still a rumpour.
  • Options
    Famewo is an interesting one. The potential to be a really good CB, but at this stage making errors of judgement which will only be eradicated though playing games and good coaching. He won't feature for Norwich next season, so it boils down to whether they want him to go to the Championship next
    A season with us in L1 and he'll be ready to play for Norwich in 2022/23 in the Championship after they get relegated again!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Jack Whatmough out of contract at Pompey. Top CB. Very comfortable on the ball.
  • Options
    Gillingham will lose a few players this summer, I'm sure Gallen and co have been keeping an eye on their best players
    Ok if they're out of contract but Scally would not want to sell to us. 
    If the money is right I am sure he would. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Left Southampton at about the same time Adkins went there.  Wonder if he knows Roddy from Reading 🤣🤣🤣

Great age, good experience. He has done a bit of Mark Noble and been Pompey's longest serving player since he was 21.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    The League One squad limitation of 20 players is still active for the moment. But it doesn't count for players under 21. So if you bring in 5 Prem loans, your 20-man squad is now 25.
    Only if the Prem loans don't have stipulations like they have to play......even  having to name them in the matchday 18 is a pisstake imo. 

For every Gallagher there is a Andre Green. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Gillingham will lose a few players this summer, I'm sure Gallen and co have been keeping an eye on their best players
    Ok if they're out of contract but Scally would not want to sell to us. 
    If the money is right I am sure he would. 
    If they're out of contract then surely they are free and can sign for whoever they like.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Chunes said:
    The League One squad limitation of 20 players is still active for the moment. But it doesn't count for players under 21. So if you bring in 5 Prem loans, your 20-man squad is now 25.
    Only if the Prem loans don't have stipulations like they have to play......even  having to name them in the matchday 18 is a pisstake imo. 

Those stipulations are just made up by fans when a loanee isn't playing well. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

How many games did the Matt Smith twins play? 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I forgot about him. I watched him okay on Saturday and still manage to forget about him
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

How many games did the Matt Smith twins play? 
    I think the Smith from Arsenal will be a good player. Certainly a great passer of the ball.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    They seem to think he’s not good enough and has a Naby Sarr clanger in his locker 
  • Options
    Mo Eisa transfer listed by Peterborough.
    Weird how his form dropped this season.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Connor Ogilvie at Gillingham would be a good left sided centre back / left back.

He is out of contract. 
    Would be a good addition and good enough to start for us imo, that would be our left sided defense sorted with Purrington as back up. The exact type of signings I want to see, cherry pick the best players from the teams around us 

Interesting stat on headers won
    Matthews won a few headers he put back inside, rather than upfield or out for a thrown, and caused us problems so the bare stats don't tell the whole story.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mo Eisa transfer listed by Peterborough.
    Weird how his form dropped this season.
    Maybe Tommy D was right :wink:
  • Options
    I’d like to think we were aiming higher than Gillingham and Portsmouth players who are out of contract.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    I’d like to think we were aiming higher than Gillingham and Portsmouth players who are out of contract.
    I don't want a name but what exactly are you expecting? 

You don't want any of our players, or the team that finished 8th, or 10th. I would think the best out of contract players for the teams that just missed out on the play offs would be a good starting point? 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Same. You don't bring in NA and then go fishing around for bargains/free transfers in the same league. Such a cost cutting approach would have seen Jackson/Euell promoted as Manager.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Same. You don't bring in NA and then go fishing around for bargains/free transfers in the same league. Such a cost cutting approach would have seen Jackson/Euell promoted as Manager.
    Yes, but some people were thinking that NA is 'small fry' & we should have appointed Chris Wilder or Eddie Howe for example.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    I don't want a name but what exactly are you expecting? 

You don't want any of our players, or the team that finished 8th, or 10th. I would think the best out of contract players for the teams that just missed out on the play offs would be a good starting point? 
    Players that aren’t being kept on by teams around us or below us. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    How I think we'll go into the new season:

GK: Amos | Maynard-Brewer
    RB: Matthews | Gunter
    CB: Inniss | Pearce | Centre-Back | Centre-Back
    LB: Purrington | Left-Back
    W: Jaiyesimi | Left-Wing | Right-Wing | Right-Wing
    Mid: Forster-Caskey | Morgan | Gilbey | Watson | Pratley | CM | CM | CM
    Strikers: Stockley | Washington | Schwartz | Forward

Dont think we'll have the massive squad overhaul that people are hoping for.

10 new players looks pretty massive to me....!
    Not really if 5 are loans. 
    I'm hoping we can move away from requiring 5 loans every season to build a squad. If you release another 5 suddenly that's 10 signings you need to bring in every summer.

We only started bringing that many in on loan due to Roland losing interest which resulted in him cutting back on the playing budget. After he went the salary cap took over and meant it had to continue.

It might cost more in the short term but get the recruitment right and it'll pay off in the longer term.

Comes down to how much TS wants to spend and who's available I guess.
    I think ruling out loans is cutting your nose off to spite your face.  It's the type of loan, the same as any transfer, that's the risk/issue. 

You can get, on loan, players you could never sign on a perm.  You can also  "try before you buy".  I also think, due to the current financial situation your will see more "Shinnie type" transfers to off load players in their final year.  We may see one or two of these going out this season?

The loans you don't want the one we had under Parkinson and Pardew, but you can't now anyway. 

All the time there are bigger clubs than you, you should, absolutely use loans.  Even Powell's title winners had 5 over the season. 
    I’m not ruling them out, I’m saying I hope we cut down on the number of them from 5 to say 2/3. It’ll help us build a team for the longer term and we won’t have so much to do in summer window next year. Handy to have a few spots free ready for January if we need them too.

After the August window closed Powell only had Cort on loan. The other four were short term loans mainly used to cover injuries and add depth.
    I agree with the theory and long-term we definitely have to try reduce our reliance, but we also need short-term success, i.e get out of this division. If you had a choice this summer between Shinnie signing for another year and Gallagher back on loan, who are you choosing?

Personally I think the criticism of our loans have been over the top. I think the bigger issue is any half decent player has left for peanuts and every season we've had to replace half the squad on top of the loans. If you can get a decent core group of 15/16, then add 2/3 every season and then 3/4 loans it can work well. The bigger problem has been having the lack of decent players in the squad tied down to 3/4 years, so we have been relying on signing loans before we even contemplate signing permanent players, it should be different this summer. 
    Good post

i would rather go back for famewo for a year to give baker another year of u-23 football than give oshi a new contract or sign a player with similar ability.
    Thanks mate :)

But yes absolutely. The problem with signing 14 new players is that signing 12 on a permanent basis is unrealistic, you either don't have the resources or end up short on quality. We have to make sure we have a decent starting point and then use the budget to buy a few quality players every year and then fill the remaining spots with the loans. It's sort of what Bowyer did in the Championship as we saw most of the loans arrive late - Cullen, Field, Leko and Kayal all came in after the first game. Who can say those first three didn't have an impact, in fact look at the loans throughout Bowyer's reign, most of them improved us and cared a lot more than some of the permanent players during that time!
    We’re only guessing how far the budget will stretch at this stage.

On the earlier point about loans we’d all take a Gallagher over a Shinnie, but Gallagher was unproven at the time, realistically we won’t sign 5 outstanding players on loan. Bringing in that many young Prem players would be a gamble and we could end up with a squad that’s too young and inexperienced.

I said before I’m expecting a few loans but getting 5 every year isn’t the way to rebuild the club. We went with the short term rebuild this summer due to circumstances and it hasn’t worked out. I’m sure we’ll find a better balance this summer, including some loan signings.
    Any player is a gamble, we signed Kayal and Hemed who didn't work out. Who said the loans have to be young inexperienced prem players? Stockley and Shinnie don't fit that criteria and the former has been particularly successful. I don't disagree that getting 5 every year isn't the way forward, but I also think ruling out signing 5 is silly. If Gallen etc identified 5 loan signings that are going to make us better we'd be stupid not to do it. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!