Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Stockley would be a good start but we will still need to bring in a marquee striker too. I’ll be disappointed if we start next season with the strikers we current have. 
    I disagree, a marquee striker would be nice but Stockley is quality. Him and a well managed Aneke are about as good a target men as you'll find in League 1.

Some pace as an alternative would be nice but I can see us bringing in pacey wingers and maybe a true attacking midfielder like Szmodics.

Unless there's a bargain to be had like JCH was, a marquee striker will not come cheap and I'd argue that money would be better spent elsewhere when we already have top quality strikers.
    Top quality strikers !! I think they are decent in Stockley and Chuks when he’s fit but lose Stockley for a period through injury and what then ? Connor is a grafter but won’t fire us to promotion. Yes a proven goal scorer will cost but so will hanging around in league one. Like I said earlier a strike force of Stockley, Washington, Aneke and Schwartz looks thin to me if you want top two.
    I stand by them being top quality for league 1. They're better than anyone Hull had at their disposal this season.
    And yet ….
    Exactly, we need to prioritise other areas
  • Options
    Vfrf said:
    Long and Burke coming in from Hull is the rumour I have heard. 
    Was this a reliable source? I'd actually love these two.

*prepares for sauce puns*
    I was told both players are out of contract this summer and we are definitely trying to sign them. 
    Long is definitely out of contract, I think Hull have an option on Burke.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Piggott and Stockley upfront seem no brainers really assuming both are interested. 

Not really bothered if any of Gunter, Watson, Pearce, Pratley, Matthews all go. Keeping 1 or 2 for experience probably makes sense but I think all of them can be improved upon.
    Piggot ? No thanks . 
    Out of interest why no to Piggot (back up to Stockley) from what I can see if he's pretty mobile, can hold the ball up and has scored goals? And he's on a free with a point to prove
    Pigott will have plenty of interest from the Championship, why on earth do you think he'd sign to be a backup striker in the league he's already playing in?

Not saying he would be backup of course, i think he'd probably be ahead of Stockley if we had both.
  • Options
    I’ve been told that aneke didn’t turn up for contract talks as he thinks he can get a championship gig.
    trouble is nobody's having a chat before Tuesday this week - according to Nige anyway - check your sauce. er source
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Piggott and Stockley upfront seem no brainers really assuming both are interested. 

Not really bothered if any of Gunter, Watson, Pearce, Pratley, Matthews all go. Keeping 1 or 2 for experience probably makes sense but I think all of them can be improved upon.
    Piggot ? No thanks . 
    Out of interest why no to Piggot (back up to Stockley) from what I can see if he's pretty mobile, can hold the ball up and has scored goals? And he's on a free with a point to prove
    Pigott will have plenty of interest from the Championship, why on earth do you think he'd sign to be a backup striker in the league he's already playing in?

Not saying he would be backup of course, i think he'd probably be ahead of Stockley if we had both.
    Sorry, but Piggott isn't Championship level & cant see anyone apart from say Luton signing him. And I shudder at both Pigott & Stockey up front together for us. Might as well get rid of the grass as the ball wouldn't rich the floor. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    I’ve been told that aneke didn’t turn up for contract talks as he thinks he can get a championship gig.
    trouble is nobody's having a chat before Tuesday this week - according to Nige anyway - check your sauce. er source
    The meeting was with bowyer, not recently
  • Options
    clive said:
    I would keep Matthews and Watson but let Gunter and Pratley go and bring in younger players at right back and centre midfield to challenge or be first choice ahead of Matthews and Gunter.

If Pearce stays I would hope he is more of a squad player next season than first choice. Same goes for Purrington. I think he has been stronger defensively than Maatsen but would be good to see someone who can combine that side of the game along with being strong going forward. Purrington is a perfectly adequate back up at L1 level.
    If Henry’s source is correct and Ferguson of Millwall is being looked at then he is comfortable at either left back or left wing. Played consistently at a higher level than league one and is a good age at 29. 
    We generally don't do transfer business with that lot. Better to keep it that way IMHO.
    Eamon Dunphy, Harry Cripps, Nicky Johns, Phil Walker, Dave Mehmet & Mike Kelly have all joined us from Millwall.
    I don't think Nicky Johns actually joined us from millwall ?
  • Options
    Pigott's performance against us this year was one of the best I've seen at this level from an opposing striker, he consistently scores goals at this level, he grew up local obviously through our academy, he's obviously still local and he's out of contract. I don't see why we wouldn't be able to get him, and I can't see why we wouldn't want him. Like when we got Lyle on a free really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I personally think Pigott is a big fish in a small pond. He's decent for League One but he's no JCH or Jayden Stockley.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    If it was with Bowyer than we can maybe take this news with a pinch of salt now. 
    Obviously goes without saying credit for posting the info you got but now maybe under Adkins and a project actually in sight Chuks might actually have something to think about.
    Besides didnt he fall out with LB over Williams? If so even more recent he may have been a no show.
  • Options
    clive said:
    I would keep Matthews and Watson but let Gunter and Pratley go and bring in younger players at right back and centre midfield to challenge or be first choice ahead of Matthews and Gunter.

If Pearce stays I would hope he is more of a squad player next season than first choice. Same goes for Purrington. I think he has been stronger defensively than Maatsen but would be good to see someone who can combine that side of the game along with being strong going forward. Purrington is a perfectly adequate back up at L1 level.
    If Henry’s source is correct and Ferguson of Millwall is being looked at then he is comfortable at either left back or left wing. Played consistently at a higher level than league one and is a good age at 29. 
    We generally don't do transfer business with that lot. Better to keep it that way IMHO.
    Eamon Dunphy, Harry Cripps, Nicky Johns, Phil Walker, Dave Mehmet & Mike Kelly have all joined us from Millwall.
    It may have been Tampa Bay Rowdies.
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    I reckon Stockley will be the next Charlton player to get 50 goals for our great club. 

Or the next player to retire through injury. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    clive said:
    clive said:

Just checked & it was Tampa though he only played 8 games for them & then played one for Sheffield United & then on to us ? Strange.
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    If it was with Bowyer than we can maybe take this news with a pinch of salt now. 
    Obviously goes without saying credit for posting the info you got but now maybe under Adkins and a project actually in sight Chuks might actually have something to think about.
    Besides didnt he fall out with LB over Williams? If so even more recent he may have been a no show.
    I didn’t know about the williams argument. It must be frustrating for a striker to see players that creat such as Williams and Maddison being moved on with pratley and Watson being played instead
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Long and Burke coming in from Hull is the rumour I have heard. 
    Burke would be an excellent signing.  Good mates with Josh Cullen :-) 
    Talking of Cullen......I’ve kind of lost track.
    Not sure what he’s doing right now, could we get him back somehow?
    Cullen signed by Vincent Kompany last October on a permanent deal with Anderlecht. Apparently has a contract through to June 2023. 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:

Piggot ? No thanks . 

Personally I don't see him having much Championship interest - Lyle didn't have interest in the same situation my memory says its was us or Sunderland. I think him and Stockley in competition for the target man role would be perfect and statement of intent.

• Options
    releasing pigott and not telling him must still piss him off. If we are interested, I wonder if previous treatment will influence his decision.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    releasing pigott and not telling him must still piss him off. If we are interested, I wonder if previous treatment will influence his decision.

Didn't he say he was still upset about it but knew no one involved was still at the club?
  • Options
    clive said:
    clive said:

Just checked & it was Tampa though he only played 8 games for them & then played one for Sheffield United & then on to us ? Strange.
    Mehmet also came via Tampa Bay.

Terry Brisley also came directly in the 70's. 
  • Options
    How I think we'll go into the new season:

GK: Amos | Maynard-Brewer
    RB: Matthews | Gunter
    CB: Inniss | Pearce | Centre-Back | Centre-Back
    LB: Purrington | Left-Back
    W: Jaiyesimi | Left-Wing | Right-Wing | Right-Wing
    Mid: Forster-Caskey | Morgan | Gilbey | Watson | Pratley | CM | CM | CM
    Strikers: Stockley | Washington | Schwartz | Forward

Dont think we'll have the massive squad overhaul that people are hoping for.

10 new players looks pretty massive to me....!
  • Options
    How I think we'll go into the new season:

GK: Amos | Maynard-Brewer
    RB: Matthews | Gunter
    CB: Inniss | Pearce | Centre-Back | Centre-Back
    LB: Purrington | Left-Back
    W: Jaiyesimi | Left-Wing | Right-Wing | Right-Wing
    Mid: Forster-Caskey | Morgan | Gilbey | Watson | Pratley | CM | CM | CM
    Strikers: Stockley | Washington | Schwartz | Forward

Dont think we'll have the massive squad overhaul that people are hoping for.

10 new players looks pretty massive to me....!
    Not really if 5 are loans. 
  • Options
    You could do a lot worse than getting Ferguson in from us.

Would suit a system with Stockley as Ferguson, although not blessed with any degree of pace, works his arse off and does have a great delivery.
    Can he play wide in a 442?  
  • Options
    Stockley would be a good start but we will still need to bring in a marquee striker too. I’ll be disappointed if we start next season with the strikers we current have. 
    I disagree, a marquee striker would be nice but Stockley is quality. Him and a well managed Aneke are about as good a target men as you'll find in League 1.

Some pace as an alternative would be nice but I can see us bringing in pacey wingers and maybe a true attacking midfielder like Szmodics.

Unless there's a bargain to be had like JCH was, a marquee striker will not come cheap and I'd argue that money would be better spent elsewhere when we already have top quality strikers.
    Top quality strikers !! I think they are decent in Stockley and Chuks when he’s fit but lose Stockley for a period through injury and what then ? Connor is a grafter but won’t fire us to promotion. Yes a proven goal scorer will cost but so will hanging around in league one. Like I said earlier a strike force of Stockley, Washington, Aneke and Schwartz looks thin to me if you want top two.
    I stand by them being top quality for league 1. They're better than anyone Hull had at their disposal this season.
    And yet ….
    And yet hull had a far better defence and midfield.  We were the joint 4th top scorers but had the 9th worse defence. 

Hull were 2nd top scorers but had the best defence and also created the second most chances. If we can concede less and give better service our current strikers we would have been just fine.
  • Options
    Come on Charlton get it right this summer.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!