Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Your England Squad For This Summer (vs Romania page 27)

Comments

• I think this team would beat San Marino even now
    bolder,bonds,went,reeves,Kinsey,bowman,bowyer,Jackson kenning hales,peacock.😂

• Wtf would we bother playing someone like Philips anyway, let alone against San Marino. I hope that’s paper talk.
    He loves a defensive midfielder!  
    I repeat....

No need for two tonight.
  • Wtf would we bother playing someone like Philips anyway, let alone against San Marino. I hope that’s paper talk.
    He loves a defensive midfielder!  
    I repeat....

No need for two tonight.
    There is when you clearly don’t trust your two centre halves! 
  • I know it’s been done to death in the media but the super-cautious Southgate dropping the only Englishman to make the FIFA World XI tells me what to expect from the summer ahead.

Beating San Marino and Albania does nothing to make me look forward to exciting football from the 3 Lions. 
  • I know it’s been done to death in the media but the super-cautious Southgate dropping the only Englishman to make the FIFA World XI tells me what to expect from the summer ahead.

Beating San Marino and Albania does nothing to make me look forward to exciting football from the 3 Lions. 
    It's 2 routine wins and clean sheets, what else were you expecting? We all knew the test will be Wednesday v Poland.

Are many of the other countries putting in performances to write home about? Spain just scraped a last minute win v Georgia having drawn at home to Greece the other night. France laboured to a 2-0 win v Kazakhstan having drawn at home to Ukraine the other night, Holland only beat Latvia 2-0, Portugal only beat Azerbaijan 1-0. Croatia beat Cyprus 1-0 and lost in Slovenia.

Apart from Turkey (beating Holland and Norway) and Denmark (smashing Moldova 8-0) i don't think any country has been that good. Most countries just want to get the games over and done with.
  • edited March 2021
    I know it’s been done to death in the media but the super-cautious Southgate dropping the only Englishman to make the FIFA World XI tells me what to expect from the summer ahead.

It's 2 routine wins and clean sheets, what else were you expecting? We all knew the test will be Wednesday v Poland.

Are many of the other countries putting in performances to write home about? Spain just scraped a last minute win v Georgia having drawn at home to Greece the other night. France laboured to a 2-0 win v Kazakhstan having drawn at home to Ukraine the other night, Holland only beat Latvia 2-0, Portugal only beat Azerbaijan 1-0. Croatia beat Cyprus 1-0 and lost in Slovenia.

Apart from Turkey (beating Holland and Norway) and Denmark (smashing Moldova 8-0) i don't think any country has been that good. Most countries just want to get the games over and done with.
    Funnily the annoying frustration is for a good few years now... England have actually been one of the best when it comes to Qualifying for major tournaments - Getting through these games have never been the issue, its how we handle the actual tournament we need to get used to.

Southgate almost found that formula for success in Russia (regardless if it was an easy route or not, other World Cups / Euros have shown it doesnt matter how easy or hard it is, we've not achieved anything like what we did in 2018), be curious to see if it was just a fluke three years ago or whether it is the difference between him and the previous England Managers.

Its why I dont get the rush to instantly go back to a fancied Manager

I'd argue that Hodgson is a better club Manager than Southgate, but you have to argue that Euro 2016 was even easier than the 2018 World Cup, and oh look what happened there... Same with Capello in 2010, that was a piss easy Group that we should have won and look at what the KO route would have been: Ghana | Uruguay | Holland | Spain.
  • edited April 2021

Lingard over Sancho and Grealish on what planet?

• Lingard over Sancho and Grealish on what planet?
    I haven’t read it so it could be unsubstantiated click bait but...

Any manager that picks Lingard over Grealish should be nowhere near football let alone the England job. Makes me feel a little sick just reading that.
  • The Mail chatting complete bollocks.

Shit like this does Southgate no favours.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ross said:
    Utterly tedious pub drivel from old Gobby
  • People would rather have Rashford over Sancho? 

It's a bias just because of how often they see them clearly. Because Sancho is on another planet to Rashford and really at par with Sterling. But no one cares because he plays in Germany. 
  • Madness how neither of them would take Sancho but would take Phillips.

And Carragher picks Bellingham 'because he's playing for Dortmund in the Champions League'.  And Sancho isn't?

Carragher talks utter rubbish - picks two defensive midfielders in the starting line-up then gets annoyed about playing on the back foot.

• Man City, Liverpool, Man United all play a back 4. 

Why shoehorn those players into a back 5? 

• Man City, Liverpool, Man United all play a back 4. 

Why shoehorn those players into a back 5? 
    Because I don't think we have strong enough centre halfs, our only left sided one is a very mediocre mings, stones has cost us lots of goals on England duty, maguire is too slow.
  • So the starting 11 in the last World Cup was something along the lines of: 

Pickford 

Walker - Maguire - Stones

Tripper                                                         Young 

Henderson 

Lingard                 Alli 

Sterling                 Kane

I could see a similar 11, just swap out Lingard/Alli for Foden and Mount in my opinion. 

Then we have players such as Sancho, Grealish, Calvert-Lewin to come off the bench if we need to chase the game. 

Young gets swapped out for Chilwell too and it looks like a decent first eleven. 
  • edited April 2021
    I think it'll be something similar to:

Pickford
    Walker, Stones, Maguire, Chilwell
    Henderson, Rice, Mount
    Foden
    Sterling, Kane.

Then
    Pope
    Henderson
    Tripper
    Keane
    Mings
    Shaw
    Phillips
    Dier
    2 of Barkley/Grealish/Sancho
    Rashford
    Calvert-Lewin 

Making up the squad if all fit, etc etc.

Personally I'd prefer something more like:

Pope
    Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw
    Rice, Henderson
    Sancho, Grealish, Sterling
    Kane.

Our front players are the string point, I think we should be playing more on the front foot.  And I'm a big fan of Grealish, offers something different.

Would be tempted by Trent Alexander-Arnold over Walker v the likes of Scotland & Czech Rep too,  but Walker has the tournament experience and is probably more solid.

Probably rest of the squad as:

Henderson & Pickford
    TAA, Keane, Mings, Chilwell (albeit I'm not fussed by either CB, options aren't great!)
    Phillips (it's him or Dier I guess, again not fussed much by either), Mount
    Rashford, Barkley or Bellingham (I'd risk the latter, I've been impressed so far), Foden
    Calvert-Lewin.

Think that's 23!

Harshest on Tripper maybe as I believe he's been playing well for Atletico, may be fresher after an enforced break, and I like him as a player, but we've just got decent options at RB.

We may take all 3, especially if Southgate feels Walker is that option in a back 3.  Might be one of the attacking midfielders missing out if so.
  • Sponsored links:

• People would rather have Rashford over Sancho? 

It's a bias just because of how often they see them clearly. Because Sancho is on another planet to Rashford and really at par with Sterling. But no one cares because he plays in Germany. 
    Rashford is overrated too.  Decent player but I'd play Sancho, Grealish, Foden all before Rashford.
  • This is what i think Southgate will pick:

Pickford
    Henderson, Rice, Mount
    Sterling, Kane, Rashford
  • If Grealish isn't picked, i'm going to start hurling bricks through shop windows in Chislehurst.
  • edited April 2021
    An English player is playing central midfield in the Champions League quarter finals, but will have Phillips and Rice picked ahead of him this summer
  • An English player is playing central midfield in the Champions League quarter finals, but will have Phillips and Rice picked ahead of him this summer
    To be fair Rice is a different kind of player, and a good player.

He should absolutely go.
  • An English player is playing central midfield in the Champions League quarter finals, but will have Phillips and Rice picked ahead of him this summer
    Rice has been the best holding midfielder in the Prem this season.
    Rice has been the best holding midfielder in the Prem this season.
    Agreed.  However Phillips has done nothing all year in comparison to Bellingham.
  • edited April 2021
    This is what i think Southgate will pick:

Pickford
    Henderson, Rice, Mount
    Sterling, Kane, Rashford

Yeah this is what I think it will likely be, with Rashford/Shaw the possible changes for Chilwell or Foden

What I'd pick squad wise, based on what seems realistic as to be honest I'd rather have someone line Ben White rather than those back-up centre backs, and probably someone like Sam Johnstone over Pickford but changes like that just seem very unlikely at this stage. I'm not really sold on Kalvin Phillips yet either but seems he's a cert at this stage with the games he's got recently.

Pope
    Henderson
    Pickford

Walker
    Trent
    Maguire
    Stones
    Keane
    Mings
    Shaw
    Chillwell

Henderson
    Rice
    Mount
    Phillips
    Foden
    Grealish
    Lingard

Kane
    Calvert-Lewin
    Rashford
    Sancho
    Sterling

Then if there are 2 extra spots as mentioned on the CL coverage today, then Bellingham and Saka as well. Harsh on Maddison but he's just unlucky that Grealish/Foden are similar players who I think are just slightly better, and might as well give Foden game time now when he should be our best player in a couple of years

Pope

Walker
    Stones
    Maguire
    Shaw

Rice
    Foden
    Mount

Sancho
    Kane
    Sterling 

Would be my team, but I get why Southgate is a bit more cautious, but I think Mount and Foden are more than good enough and put in enough work defensively to make it work.

• Henderson is someone I'm not too sure about either. 

I'd probably rather have Rice + Bellingham over a player that has recently been out for a while with a groin injury and has been poor most of the season before that. 

• Luke Shaw at centre back wtf