Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your England Squad For This Summer (vs Romania page 27)

Comments

• Options
    If his name wasn't Jesse Lingard people would be clamouring for him to go. I think he is a bit of a cock with his whole J Lingz stuff but he is bang in form and has been good for England in the past.
    He hasn't. 

Having caps does not make him 'good for England'. 
    Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho haven't really pulled up trees for England either. They can be binned from the squad too.
  • Options
    Can't wait for him to take 15 shots against a minnow and they all go into row Z. 

He's a confidence player and has zero when playing for England. He will not be someone that wins a game for us. 
    Thing is he is doing in the premier league - he is the form player at the moment.  He is winning games for West Ham. Wether he can do that for England remains to be seen but  played his way in to the reckoning. 
    Just look at him during those England games he played in. 

That form was nowhere to be seen and he became the Lingard we all hate again. 
    Hate? Bit strong mate!. Personally I think he has always been a decent player - not international class maybe. But you can’t deny, he is doing the business at the moment. 
    Decent player in a team that was already doing well without him. 
    He’s got 8 goals and 3 assists in 10 games!
    He's in great form not denying it! 

West Ham were fighting for top 4 without him anyway. 

Lingard's season started a month ago, compared to everyone else that started in September. Helps to explain why he looks so good in comparison to others. 
    Interesting take. So you’re saying a players that’s not had hardly any minutes in 6 months should immediately start scoring goals for his new club?
  • Options
    Can't wait for him to take 15 shots against a minnow and they all go into row Z. 

He's a confidence player and has zero when playing for England. He will not be someone that wins a game for us. 
    Thing is he is doing in the premier league - he is the form player at the moment.  He is winning games for West Ham. Wether he can do that for England remains to be seen but  played his way in to the reckoning. 

Hate? Bit strong mate!. Personally I think he has always been a decent player - not international class maybe. But you can’t deny, he is doing the business at the moment. 

Lingard's season started a month ago, compared to everyone else that started in September. Helps to explain why he looks so good in comparison to others. 
    Interesting take. So you’re saying a players that’s not had hardly any minutes in 6 months should immediately start scoring goals for his new club?
    I'm just saying during this season where the fixture list has been very congested, it's certainly a huge benefit he's starting fresh. 
  • Options
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/04/11/three-leicester-players-axed-squad-crunch-west-ham-game-covid/

Leicester axed James Maddison, Ayoze Perez and Hamza Choudhury from their top-four shootout with West Ham after the trio breached Covid regulations.

Furious Brendan Rodgers left them out of his squad after discovering they attended a party after the Premier League match against Manchester City last weekend.

It is understood the party was held by Perez, the forward, and Rodgers has taken a hardline stance by excluding them from his plans for the potentially pivotal game at West Ham.

Think that's Maddison out of contention for England as well. As slim as it already was. 

• Options
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/04/11/three-leicester-players-axed-squad-crunch-west-ham-game-covid/

Leicester axed James Maddison, Ayoze Perez and Hamza Choudhury from their top-four shootout with West Ham after the trio breached Covid regulations.

Furious Brendan Rodgers left them out of his squad after discovering they attended a party after the Premier League match against Manchester City last weekend.

It is understood the party was held by Perez, the forward, and Rodgers has taken a hardline stance by excluding them from his plans for the potentially pivotal game at West Ham.

Think that's Maddison out of contention for England as well. As slim as it already was. 

I bet Marcus and James' Mum and Dad must be so proud of their sons at times.   All the talent in the world and absolutely no fucking common sense!    James Maddison won't get near an England squad for a very long time and Mason Greenwood seems to have recently turned a corner so he might be a last minute shout for the squad if he has a great end to the season.
  • Options

If he carries this form on for the last 7 games it'll be very hard for Southgate to leave him out. 
  • Options
    If his name wasn't Jesse Lingard people would be clamouring for him to go. I think he is a bit of a cock with his whole J Lingz stuff but he is bang in form and has been good for England in the past.
    He hasn't. 

Having caps does not make him 'good for England'. 
    He was good for us in the World Cup, playing first team in a squad that got to the semi-final. He went horrendously off the boil after that but he had a good tournament. i still wouldn't take him because I think we just have better players ahead of him, but he's definitely played well for England in the past
  • Options
    Bellingham looking pure class tonight, surely people would take him over Phillips?! 
    Of course but he doesn't play in the Premier League so he's rubbish according to Gareth. 
  • Options
    I don't really see it myself with Phillips but he seems to be a set different role in fairness, kind of like the new Winks who Southgate loved a couple of years ago to play alongside another defensive midfielder and start play from deep. I think it's Bellingham vs someone like Ward-Prowse and I just don't see how you could pick JWP over him, I just see Ward-Prowse as one of those good Prem players who people always cry out to be deserving of a cap, but yet ultimately we're never really missing out by not picking him. Like West Ham fans with Noble for years.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pickford
    James Stones Maguire Chilwell (Or Shaw)
    Rice
    Mount Foden
    Grealish Kane Sterling

Thats a top 3 international side in my mind. 

For the first time In a while we look sensational on paper. Southgate has a lot more weight on his shoulders that 2018, I hope he can handle the pressure.
  • Options
    Isn't Grealish running out of games, if he is going to make it? When is he due back, for Villa?
  • Options
    Very touch and go for both Grealish and Sancho in my opinion.
  • Options
    Isn't Grealish running out of games, if he is going to make it? When is he due back, for Villa?
    Not entirely sure.

Even then you shift Foden out to the left and Sterling to the right.

Bellingham slots middle. It looks good still.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Pickford
    Rice
    Mount Foden
    Grealish Kane Sterling

For the first time In a while we look sensational on paper. Southgate has a lot more weight on his shoulders that 2018, I hope he can handle the pressure.
    Hopefully Rice is fit! If he isn't there and there's no Henderson either then that more defensive midfield spot looks much less strong. 
  • Options
    Has apparently had a setback so will be out for a few more weeks

Reckon thats going to see Lingard in the squad ahead of him 
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Pickford
    Rice
    Mount Foden
    Grealish Kane Sterling

There's a 0% chance he's leaving out Henderson. Would love a team like that but be prepared for Henderson instead of Grealish and Foden on the right wing. 
  • Options
    Has apparently had a setback so will be out for a few more weeks

Reckon thats going to see Lingard in the squad ahead of him 
    Can’t believe I’m saying it but Lingard would be a good bench option. That’s if Grealish can’t go.

I’d have no issue with a confident Lingard coming off the bench if we need to go more attacking
  • Options
    4-2-3-1. Starting lineup in caps. 3 keepers and then 2 players for each outfield position. I think Bellingham offers something different to the other three DM's though so would be played in some scenarios. Can be switched to a 5-2-1-2 with Walker as a CB and Rashford as a second striker. Lack of good depth at CB easily the most worrying thing about the squad. 

PICKFORD
    Pope
    D Henderson

JAMES
    Walker

MAGUIRE
    STONES
    Keane
    Mings

CHILWELL
    Shaw

J HENDERSON
    RICE
    Bellingham
    Phillips

FODEN
    MOUNT
    RASHFORD
    Sancho
    Grealish
    Sterling

KANE
    Calvert-Lewin

• Options
    Grealish has to go. He has been absolutely sensational this season. Villa look a different team without him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Grealish is supposedly back from injury in a couple of weeks, so has a month to prove his fitness as the Premier league season doesn't end until the end of May.

Sterling left out again for City last night, only appearing as a late sub when the tie was over.
  • Options
    Pickford - Pope - Henderson

Alexander-Arnold - Trippier - Stones - Maguire - Mings - Dier - Chilwell - Shaw

Rice - Henderson - Phillips - Bellingham - Mount - Foden

Sterling - Sancho - Kane - Calvert-Lewin - Rashford - Grealish.
  • Options
    Grealish will be fit.   So will be Henderson.   So will be Rice.   For once key players have been injured in enough time before a tournament and should come back fit and raring to go.

Sterling has been a shadow of his usual self and I can't see him replacing Foden in the side for the big games so that probably moves him above Sterling for an England starting place (or should).

Sancho should go, but I fear he will be the one to miss out as he's hardly played for England over the last year.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    C_A_F_C said:

This is what I’d pick; not expecting it to be anything like this. 

Pope, Henderson, Johnstone - not fussed that there’s no tournament experience there . 

TAA, Walker, Wan Bissaka, Shaw, Chilwell, Maguire, Stones, Mings.  I’ve left a 4th centre half out as I think  none of them are any good.  

Henderson, Rice, Mount, Foden, Grealish, Bellingham, Ward Prowse. 

Sancho, Sterling, Kane, Calvert Lewin, Rashford, 
  • Options
    On centre halves I have always rated Dunk. 
  • Options
    Just go for it and only play one defensive midfielder. 

I don’t mind Rice or Henderson playing that role. 
    Both have changed my opinion of them in last two seasons. 

Make the opposition worry about trying to change their plans to match up with our attacking talent. 

Go on the front foot and scare the shit out of the other countries. 

We always big up other teams, but I bet there is not one other country that wouldn’t like the young attacking talent we can choose from. 

• Options
    I wouldn't take rashford or phillips. 

id play hendo if fit. Look at liverpool without him, zero energy.  Hendo with rice and bellingham back option. 

Id play sancho fit. 

Left back on current form probably shaw or ashley young. 

Right back is tough! Who do you take? Trent and trips can score free kicks good at dead ball, james athletic, walker class for city, AWB good at defending...

i think walker is exposed at intl level so would take trent and trips. Trips was solid for us. 

Some good headaches... 

altho france with mbappe and coeman on each wing puts things into perspective. 
  • Options
    Against fairly decent teams I’d have Rice, Bellingham and Mount as a midfield 3. Then further forward I’d have Grealish and Foden supporting Kane. The benefit to that is Bellingham and Mount can transition well from defence to attack, while leaving Rice as holding.

I know that means rashford, sancho and Sterling on the bench but I don’t think any of them are in particularly great form. It also gives us serious pace once defences are tired 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    C_A_F_C said:

You need to take Walker as he slots so well in a back 3 CB too. 

Bin off Dier for him. 
  • Options
    I'd also choose Saka for the squad over Lingard any day of the week. 

A player that can play LB, LM, LW, RW at a very high level will be invaluable when squad numbers are restricted.