Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dear Chairman (Southend United)

A mate of mine has made a video on the current plight of Southend United. It's a poignant reminder (if one was needed) as to how important football clubs are and what happens when their owners are mad, bad or incompetent. Hopefully those worries are all behind us now, and the future under TS is looking very promising, but we shouldn't forget there are others who are going through hard times.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSdOgXYl9kY

Comments

• And I thought our car park potholes were bad.
  • Bloody hell, that was good.  

Well done Kerry
  • Superb video.

It shows that we have been extremely lucky with attracting Thomas. 
  • I had no idea how bad it had got down there. Really moving video. I'm gutted for them.
  • I visited Southend a couple of years ago and it was clearly a town in decline. Hastings was similar when I went there for a football tournament with my son. The club is probably just following the town's pattern. Depressing.
  • Hastings is fast becoming Hipsterville. Lot of money moving into the town.
  • When I went I saw druggies and tramps on every corner. A few lads asked a few of our team if they wanted a fight which they politely declined. Maybe things are improving there.
  • Sponsored links:

• When I went I saw druggies and tramps on every corner. A few lads asked a few of our team if they wanted a fight which they politely declined. Maybe things are improving there.
    They are - definitely much improved from the 80’s and 90’s - I am funding some housing developments there at the moment - no issues with selling the houses, even in COVID - seafront area much better now - lots of arts and crafts type people have flocked there
    They are - definitely much improved from the 80’s and 90’s - I am funding some housing developments there at the moment - no issues with selling the houses, even in COVID - seafront area much better now - lots of arts and crafts type people have flocked there
    When I last went there - probably at least 3 years ago - it was St Leonards that seemed run down. The old town had got better.
  • Good watch that 
  • Chris Powell said at Bromley Addicks that he wasn't impressed.  (that's me being diplomatic)
  • Good film. 
  • Chris Powell said at Bromley Addicks that he wasn't impressed.  (that's me being diplomatic)
    Compared him to a former owner of ours IIRC.
  • This is a must watch for all footi fans.
    'Its the hope that kills you' - Now where have I heard that before!
    its not just the footi - it's about heritage,tradition ,your mates - it's in your blood.

I wish them well
  • Alright they are Essex, but I really feel sorry for them. A depressing read. 
  • Alright they are Essex, but I really feel sorry for them. A depressing read. 
    Yes, it's an awful situation, a club in freefall
  • Sponsored links:

• Sad read indeed.
  • I saw them at Torquay recently and they were dire, made a Torquay side who were on a poor run themselves look very good in the second half.
  • Awful to read - always enjoyed Southend as an away day
  • I went to watch them the other week when they played Aldershot and lost. They were shocking really really poor. Such a shame because I’ve always had a soft spot for Southend.  I’ve had a good few days there watching football but similarly I have family who are very much Southend supporters. It really is sad how far they have fallen and at the moment there is no sign of it stopping.
  • Used to love the away days in the 90's to Southend. 

Such a shame how far they've fallen, but it's a word or warning to any team floating around league 1/2 and even the championship where they were last I think in 2007.

A third straight relegation will kill them I fear.
  • Is a shame to see them where they are, loyal fan base and have taken more to Halifax and Solihull than we took on Saturday but the chairman needs to go for the club to get back to the league 

Who in their right mind would buy them though 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Used to love the away days in the 90's to Southend. 

Such a shame how far they've fallen, but it's a word or warning to any team floating around league 1/2 and even the championship where they were last I think in 2007.

I quite agree. They had a proper team back in the 90s too under barry fry. Real tough opponents. But one tonking aside where ricky otto tore us to shreds it was quite a happy hunting ground for us and i particularly recall carlo leaburn scoring there a couple of times.

Let's hope they can avoid the drop, sort out their ownership issues and regroup, similar to The O's.

• Kips said:
    Rob7Lee said:

I quite agree. They had a proper team back in the 90s too under barry fry. Real tough opponents. But one tonking aside where ricky otto tore us to shreds it was quite a happy hunting ground for us and i particularly recall carlo leaburn scoring there a couple of times.

Let's hope they can avoid the drop, sort out their ownership issues and regroup, similar to The O's.

That thrashing was 27th Dec 1993 (lost 4-2); Walsh and Chapple sent off in the last 5 mins. Their team had Chris Powell, Keith Jones, Gary Poole, Ricky Otto, Jason Lee and Simon Royce was on the bench. 6 players with Charlton connections...is that a record? 

Goals from Keith Jones, Jason Lee, Ricky Otto and an Graham Bressington penalty.

Charlton goals; Carl Leaburn and Alan Pardew.

Attendance 10,123. 
  • Is a shame to see them where they are, loyal fan base and have taken more to Halifax and Solihull than we took on Saturday but the chairman needs to go for the club to get back to the league 

Who in their right mind would buy them though 
    Give it time Southall will be on the scrounge…
  • Simonsen said:
    Kips said:
    Rob7Lee said:

That thrashing was 27th Dec 1993 (lost 4-2); Walsh and Chapple sent off in the last 5 mins. Their team had Chris Powell, Keith Jones, Gary Poole, Ricky Otto, Jason Lee and Simon Royce was on the bench. 6 players with Charlton connections...is that a record? 

Goals from Keith Jones, Jason Lee, Ricky Otto and an Graham Bressington penalty.

Charlton goals; Carl Leaburn and Alan Pardew.

Attendance 10,123. 
    remember this like it was yesterday!!