Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dear Chairman (Southend United)

Comments

• Options
    Webbja77 said:
    Simonsen said:
    Kips said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Used to love the away days in the 90's to Southend. 

Such a shame how far they've fallen, but it's a word or warning to any team floating around league 1/2 and even the championship where they were last I think in 2007.

A third straight relegation will kill them I fear.
    I quite agree. They had a proper team back in the 90s too under barry fry. Real tough opponents. But one tonking aside where ricky otto tore us to shreds it was quite a happy hunting ground for us and i particularly recall carlo leaburn scoring there a couple of times.

Let's hope they can avoid the drop, sort out their ownership issues and regroup, similar to The O's.

That thrashing was 27th Dec 1993 (lost 4-2); Walsh and Chapple sent off in the last 5 mins. Their team had Chris Powell, Keith Jones, Gary Poole, Ricky Otto, Jason Lee and Simon Royce was on the bench. 6 players with Charlton connections...is that a record? 

Goals from Keith Jones, Jason Lee, Ricky Otto and an Graham Bressington penalty.

Charlton goals; Carl Leaburn and Alan Pardew.

Attendance 10,123. 
    remember this like it was yesterday!! 
    Also a very memorable game a couple of years earlier, when Kelvin Morton went to show one of ours the red card but pulled out his hankie instead....
  • Options
    Webbja77 said:
    Simonsen said:
    Kips said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Such a shame how far they've fallen, but it's a word or warning to any team floating around league 1/2 and even the championship where they were last I think in 2007.

I quite agree. They had a proper team back in the 90s too under barry fry. Real tough opponents. But one tonking aside where ricky otto tore us to shreds it was quite a happy hunting ground for us and i particularly recall carlo leaburn scoring there a couple of times.

Let's hope they can avoid the drop, sort out their ownership issues and regroup, similar to The O's.

That thrashing was 27th Dec 1993 (lost 4-2); Walsh and Chapple sent off in the last 5 mins. Their team had Chris Powell, Keith Jones, Gary Poole, Ricky Otto, Jason Lee and Simon Royce was on the bench. 6 players with Charlton connections...is that a record? 

Goals from Keith Jones, Jason Lee, Ricky Otto and an Graham Bressington penalty.

Attendance 10,123. 
    remember this like it was yesterday!! 
    Indeed, what was the game where Mortimer missed a penalty? Think Gatting got sent off?
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Kips said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Attendance 10,123. 
    I remember it well because I was in a plaster cast from breaking my leg playing football the previous month.  I remember it was a bit slushy underfoot because I slipped on my crutches and stamped my foot on the floor which cracked my cast.  It also hurt somewhat....
  • Options

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    Kips said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Attendance 10,123. 
    I was at that game.  I remember a lot of good-natured banter with Ricky Otto and he gave as good as he got.
  • Options
    My family moved down there from south East London in the early seventies.  Never had much love for them but would never wish their plight on any fans (yes, even Millwall).

A mate of mine used to part own them some years back and (I think) was popular.  But it's mainly been run by crooks down the years, going all the way back to the eighties.  When I asked my mate about the current situation and if he'd go back in, he said he wouldn't get back involved given the people that were there and he can't afford to go in on his own.

Hopefully something turns up.
  • Options
    It is a real shame how quickly they have plummeted down the leagues. 

My question would be though who is going to take on the club if the chairman does walk away? I mean no disrespect because  we all know how precious clubs are to us as supporters, but as an outsider looking in Southend have a relatively small fan-base, are in the National League and have a stadium which is falling apart. I'd be surprised if anyone is waiting around desperate to take over running the club and taking on what I assume are heavy losses year on year.

Whilst I know the money the owner has put into the club is technically counted by him as debt, however you look it at those heavy losses are being subsidised by the owner. If he decides tomorrow he's had enough of the protests and decides he's not putting a penny more into the club they'd just be in the exact same position Derby are now? He claims the club owes him £20 million in money he's invested into it but even if he wiped all that debt off I'd be surprised if it could find the money to run for another month in the absence of someone willing to pump their money into it.

• Options
    there is no way Derby will properly go under. 

Every chance for Southend though 

• Options
    Southend also have the issue of Roots Hall, It needs major work or they'll need to move away which I think was originally the plan (to build a new stadium) but doubt they have the cash now.

They got tonked 4-0 at home yesterday by Chesterfield and minutes later Phil Brown was sacked. Good job Dover will almost certainly be relegated due to -12 points deduction, but Southend look very precarious at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very good film which I missed when it was posted originally. My memories of Southend are of Vince O’Kane being sent off. I think we equalised right at the end.

12 of the 23 current National League teams have played in the Football League in my lifetime plus 7 from the National League North. I guess the Football League is edging further south.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Southend also have the issue of Roots Hall, It needs major work or they'll need to move away which I think was originally the plan (to build a new stadium) but doubt they have the cash now.

They got tonked 4-0 at home yesterday by Chesterfield and minutes later Phil Brown was sacked. Good job Dover will almost certainly be relegated due to -12 points deduction, but Southend look very precarious at the moment.
    There's a field behind B&Q in Southend that's been cordoned off for several years with, what once were, some quite impressively painted fences proclaiming 'The New Home of Southend United'. Nowadays it looks almost as sad and dilapidated as Roots Hall. I don't know if Martin owns this land or just has some form of rights on it. They are dependent on the sale of Roots Hall. I think for a while they were hopeful that Sainsburys would buy it, but that all seems to have fallen through.  
  • Options
    I'll never forget the match there on 26th October 1991. My birthday was the day before and I'd felt shit with a bad cold all day. In the evening though I went to the pub to celebrate my birthday with friends and as a joke I drunk a pint of tequila. I was still drunk and tired at the match and had to use the bar on the terracing to stand upright!
    Leeeeeeaaaaaaburn!!!
  • Options
    That national league is a nasty division to be relegated too. The biggest lottery division going. One of the bigger teams in that division, but doesn’t mean anything in national league. 

Supporting a national league south side, hoping either Southend or Aldershot come down as both will bring a decent away following in the national league south.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Kips said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Attendance 10,123. 
    I was there unfortunately, Ricky Otto tore us apart.
  • Options
    Just what they need, a girlfriend and (allegedly) wife beating dogger helping them out. 
  • Options
    I'll never forget the match there on 26th October 1991. My birthday was the day before and I'd felt shit with a bad cold all day. In the evening though I went to the pub to celebrate my birthday with friends and as a joke I drunk a pint of tequila. I was still drunk and tired at the match and had to use the bar on the terracing to stand upright!
    Leeeeeeaaaaaaburn!!!
    Jimmy, was this the 1-1 where carlo scored a towering  header after Steve gatting was sent off and we missed 2 pens?

• Options
    Kips said:
    Leeeeeeaaaaaaburn!!!
    Jimmy, was this the 1-1 where carlo scored a towering  header after Steve gatting was sent off and we missed 2 pens?

It was 1-1 definitely and Leaburn scored.

I don't remember the rest but you might be right. 
  • Options
    Kips said:
    Leeeeeeaaaaaaburn!!!

Mortimer missed one, can't remember who missed the other, but definitely two missed. Also remember Stevie Gritt warmer up the keeper in front of us and a certain song asking for him to show us his ^%$^ and the poor burger girl having to walk in front of us carrying a tray of burgers.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Kips said:
    Leeeeeeaaaaaaburn!!!

Mortimer missed one, can't remember who missed the other, but definitely two missed. Also remember Stevie Gritt warmer up the keeper in front of us and a certain song asking for him to show us his ^%$^ and the poor burger girl having to walk in front of us carrying a tray of burgers.....
    Walshie missed the second pen. I don't think the other was morts, he was elsewhere plying his trade in Surrey, I believe. I'll give you the burger girl anecdote though..
  • Options
    Kips said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Kips said:
    Leeeeeeaaaaaaburn!!!

Walshie missed the second pen. I don't think the other was morts, he was elsewhere plying his trade in Surrey, I believe. I'll give you the burger girl anecdote though..
    Darren Pitcher had his penalty saved. 

Southend also scored one having missed their previous half dozen (I've guessed that number but it was a lot.) Incredibly this is 30 years ago this month.
  • Options
    Thanks for confirming that mate. Didn't curbs get sent to the stands too? Blimey 30 years, no wonder so many hazy recollections between us.
  • Options
    Kips said:
    Thanks for confirming that mate. Didn't curbs get sent to the stands too? Blimey 30 years, no wonder so many hazy recollections between us.
    Yep, he did. And you can relax about Morts. He would have been at Villa that season.
  • Options
    This'll be interesting:

• Options
    What are we looking at ?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    What are we looking at ?
    7 Leeburn…..we all know he is a no 9!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    What are we looking at ?
    Ron Martin is up for fraud.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    What are we looking at ?
    My fantasy five a side league squad: starting line up is Jennings, Costa, Doherty, Keegan and LEEEEEEEburn (sp.)

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    What are we looking at ?
    My fantasy five a side league squad: starting line up is Jennings, Costa, Doherty, Keegan and LEEEEEEEburn (sp.)

Green, Marshall and Hudson on the bench.