Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dear Chairman (Southend United)

Comments

• Options
    They were sitting on his wall.
  • Options
    Well done, guys.
  • Options

Southend United have been granted a final 42-day adjournment of their winding-up petition by the High Court to complete the sale of the club.

Owner Ron Martin told the court a sale to an unnamed Australian buyer should be finalised by the end of September.

The club were given a 42-day adjournment on their previous appearance in court on 12 July to clear debts and find a new owner.

The takeover must now be finalised by their return to court on 4 October.

The judge warned Martin the club, founded in 1906, would be wound up if that deadline was missed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66591344

• Options

National League Statement

The League are now aware of the court hearing adjournment and that outstanding debt to HMRC has not been discharged in full.

As a result, Southend United Football Club have been deducted 10 points with immediate effect.

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/national-league-statement-southend-united-77656

• Options
    Fans saying that the judge said if it wasn't a Football Club, it would have ended today. On the basis of representations he's heard (presumably Martin's claims of an Australian buyer*), he'll grant a FINAL adjournment of 41 days. If not settled by then, they should expect to be wound up.

*Not The Good Guys, is it?
  • Options

A judge has given non-league Southend United more time to clear a £275,000 tax debt but said the club could be wound up in the next few weeks.

Sebastian Prentis considered the club’s case at an Insolvency and Companies Court hearing, on Wednesday after HMRC issued a winding-up petition.

The judge was told the club had other debts – owing more than £1 million in total.

He said he would have made a winding up order were he not dealing with a football club.

"If this were not a football club, with the particular attachment to its fans ... I would be winding them up today."

Judge Prentis said the case will be reconsidered on October 4 and told bosses the club will be wound up then if debts have not been paid.

Southend chairman Ron Martin told the judge a sale of the club is underway and asked for more time. He said he is “confident” a sale will be completed by October – and money available to pay creditors – and told the judge that players and staff are being paid.

He told Mr Martin: “This has got to be sorted out. You must expect, if the debts have not all been settled, that the club will be wound up on the next date.”

• Options
    Stig said:
    Fans saying that the judge said if it wasn't a Football Club, it would have ended today. On the basis of representations he's heard (presumably Martin's claims of an Australian buyer*), he'll grant a FINAL adjournment of 41 days. If not settled by then, they should expect to be wound up.

*Not The Good Guys, is it?
    No, Justin Rees. Not a lot about him online. 
    As an Aussie, I have nether heard of him.

• Options
    Could only name 3 subs at the weekend, and ended the game with 2 men sent off.

Not looking good for their game tomorrow night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My mate (the one who made the video at the top of this thread) messaged me on Saturday saying he thinks he may have just watched Southend's last ever match. Very sad.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    My mate (the one who made the video at the top of this thread) messaged me on Saturday saying he thinks he may have just watched Southend's last ever match. Very sad.
    Still got a couple more weeks i think until their next (and probably last) court date?
  • Options
    Yes you're right. I guess that's a personal one for him based on the matches he's attending. I know that he, and others, are boycotting Roots Hall because they won't give any money to Martin.  
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Yes you're right. I guess that's a personal one for him based on the matches he's attending. I know that he, and others, are boycotting Roots Hall because they won't give any money to Martin.  
    What's their overall feeling? Any rumours of a last minute saviour or have they accepted they're done?

Mate of mine follows them and he said "95% likely they won't exist this time next month". Nothing seems to be happening and Martin still hasn't paid the tax bill.
  • Options
    That's about the long and short of it I think. One thing he did say, I not sure how much truth there is in this or how much is hyperbole: "Management team pretty much leading the Martin Out chants"
  • Options
    Not sure if true, or what the deal is with the land but hasn't there been the rumour around that Martin doesn't actually care if the club goes bust because he can then sell Roots Hall to a property developer?

So he isn't fussed either way what happens to them.
  • Options
    SUFC in court again today re unpaid electricity bill - lose that, no match tonight, as no power - sadly, I think they are doomed 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/23799177.southend-united-fans-protest-match-maidenhead/

According to one of my neighbours who is a season ticket holder, they only have 10 fit players for tonight’s game.

The area could provide decent attendances for a top league one/championship team, pity after 25 years they still have Ron Martin.
    Still get quite a few kids in Southend shirts at football training on a Saturday morning.

• Options
    SUFC in court again today re unpaid electricity bill - lose that, no match tonight, as no power - sadly, I think they are doomed 
    Not sure why, but it didn't happen. 

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/23800486.southend-united-court-hearing-today-never-started/
  • Options

Southend United days away from being wound up but Levelling Up fund could save stricken club

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/09/25/southend-united-crisis-wound-up-levelling-up-fund-save/
  • Options
    clive said:
    Very interesting and enlightening read.
  • Options
    Unfortunately the Scunthorpe story has progressed today - owner has pulled funding and won't be playing at Glanford Park beyond Saturday

https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/news/2023/september/club-update/
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Unfortunately the Scunthorpe story has progressed today - owner has pulled funding and won't be playing at Glanford Park beyond Saturday

Wow - that is terrible 
  • Options
    So sad
  • Options
    Wonder if things would have been different if the club had kept The Old Showground in the middle of town. Believe Scunthorpe was the first club to build stadium miles out of town since World War Two, could be wrong with that apology if so.
  • Options
    Not sure how Scunthorpe's woes ended up on the Southend thread, but it seems the plot thickens in terms of where they will play.

"They said they will play home games 16 miles away at Gainsborough Trinity.

However, Gainsborough have since said Scunthorpe's statement was issued "without the knowledge or consent" of the club.

"Whilst the club has always been clear that any requests from Scunthorpe United to play fixtures at the KAL Group Stadium would be considered, this would always have to be done by due process which would involve both clubs and the ground owner," they said."

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Terrible for them