Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dear Chairman (Southend United)

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:
    MrOneLung said:
    What are we looking at ?
    Ron Martin is up for fraud.
    I can't see anything on the net about this Stig. Not recent anyway. Definitely the owner?
  • Options
    So I've been told.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    This'll be interesting:

Is that THE Jason William Crowe, once of Arsenal, Portsmouth and Leeds? 
  • Options
    So what does this guy get out of Southend then?

He can't seriously be saying that if someone offered him 40m for a club in the relegation zone of the National league that he wouldn't sell the club?
  • Options
    He is waiting for the new ground to be approved. Roots Hall will be developed with housing and the new ground with have a hotel and retail, along with further housing. This is how he recoups any money he has outlaid over the years on the club and why he will never sell.
  • Options
    In todays 'Sun'
    By Joshua Jones

Southend pair on tax charge

Two Southend bosses will appear in court today charged with conning the taxman out of more than £5 million.
    Current chairman Ron Martin 68 as well as former director Geofrey King 75, are accused of cheating HMRC  by  failing to pay VAT in two land deals to house developers Redrow homes PLC.
    The first relates to a £920,000 tax bill in 2016 in Essex & the second, three years later, for £4.485m in Cheltenham.The cases will be heard at Westminister Magistrates Court.
  • Options
    He is waiting for the new ground to be approved. Roots Hall will be developed with housing and the new ground with have a hotel and retail, along with further housing. This is how he recoups any money he has outlaid over the years on the club and why he will never sell.
    Meanwhile he runs the team into the ground and by the time their 22k seater new stadium (yes apparently the stadium plan is for a ground that big) is built they might be in the same league as Welling.
  • Options
    Todays was a committal hearing. Martin now up before Crown Court in November.
  • Options
    That amount of tax evasion wont be a slap on the wrist! HMP service awaits I would think
  • Options
    HMRC v Ron Martin on Wednesday. Some Southend fans I know predicting that it'll be the end of their club. Very sad situation. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    HMRC v Ron Martin on Wednesday. Some Southend fans I know predicting that it'll be the end of their club. Very sad situation. 
    Yes indeed iit is. I thought there was a takeover in the offing. Has this not materialised?
  • Options
    If that's the Kimura deal, I'm told that's off the table.
  • Options
    Very sad state of affairs. Good set of fans and a traditional club.
  • Options
    Lost count of how many times I’ve seen us at Roots Hall.
    I hope somehow Southend survive.
  • Options
    Kips said:
    Stig said:
    Yes indeed iit is. I thought there was a takeover in the offing. Has this not materialised?
    From what i've read they discovered a lot more debts that Ron Martin hadn't been transparent about.
  • Options
    I never like to see a club go out of business, sorry for all of their fans, who can do nothing 
  • Options
    Very sad. I live near Southend and there are so many decent fans. They really deserve so much better.
  • Options
    Things don't look good at all but i hope they're saved today or at least get some kind of reprieve that gives them a bit more time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Southend United have been given another 42 days to pay off their HMRC tax debt.

Shrimpers chairman Ron Martin was back in the High Court this morning after the initial hearing was adjourned back in May.

And his application for a second adjournment was granted, meaning he now has until August 23 to pay off the £275,000 debt.

However, doubts still surround the future of the club as the National League must now decide whether or not to allow Blues to remain in the fifth tier of English football.

The National League season kicks off on 5 August.

• Options
    Post from another thread: 

Being relatively close is there anything we can do to help Southend out? Enjoyed several away days there over the years and we all know to well to an extent what it’s like to be in their position. No supporter should lose their club because of bad ownership.

• Options
    Seems a funny place for a protest. I can only guess that's where Ron Martin lives.
  • Options
    Not many there in the photo, looks more like a Post Office queue. 
  • Options
    They've stretched it across the day so people have come and gone. tbh I think they probably didn't want too many there at any one time, because it's outside the guy's house so may be seen by the cops as provocative. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Stig said:
    They've stretched it across the day so people have come and gone. tbh I think they probably didn't want too many there at any one time, because it's outside the guy's house so may be seen by the cops as provocative. 
    So is the chairman's house the one whose wall they are sitting on, or is it the more gaudy looking one with all the fences just to the left on the opposite corner out of shot? (Thanks GoogleMaps)