Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Peloton Bike

Has anyone invested in this? With the endless stop start of gyms over the last year (and looking like it will not end any time soon) I have decided to cancel my gym membership and get one of these. Bike doesn’t arrive until March but I already have access (and am using) to the on-line non bike exercise classes. The bike costs as much as an entry level Carbon road bike but I have convinced myself (or rationalised) that it is worth it. The monthly subscription is only a bit more than my gym membership.

Comments

• edited January 2021
    I got one just before Christmas and I should have got one sooner, you'll love it. I'm still learning which classes and instructors that I like, just started doing the power zone rides. When you start there is a good beginner programme and now I've started the power one, the beatles class I did recently was good too.
    Due to the cost I went for the older bike, arrived in about 5/6 weeks which was quicker than expected.
    Have a think about where you want to put it, it's not light!!!
  • Do you have to buy the bike from Pelton or can you just get a sub?
  • Turbo trainer + YouTube. Cost you about £40.
  • Yeah I'd love one but the monthly subscription on top of the cost of the bike really puts me off. Not that I've got enough space for it anyway.
  • How much are they at the moment? 
  • Asked a friend as I wanted one but he put me onto a Kickr snap turbo trainer which is seriously easy to use and cost £429.  Then get the zwift app for a fraction of the Peloton app.
  • I got mine in December and then proceeded to get COVID so i've only just started using it this week.

I love it. 

Yes it's expensive but i absolutely detest gyms so it's ideal for me. 

• edited January 2021
    As above, get a shit bike, a turbo trainer and a zwift membership.

Much cheaper. 
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    How much are they at the moment? 
    The new  version costs £2,250. The monthly subscription is £40.

I spent weeks looking at alternatives. Narrowed it down to two high end bikes costing £1200 - £1700. They both involved monthly subscriptions to cycling apps like iFit or Kenomap. But when I looked at the reviews of the two companies supplying the bikes there were endless tales of absolutely horrendous after sales and customer service. 

The Peloton experience, so far, is comparable to the customer service you receive when you buy an Apple product.
  • Huskaris said:

Much cheaper. 
    How noisy is it? 
  • Huskaris said:

Much cheaper. 
    How noisy is it? 
    Depends if you are talking about vibrations or actual noise.

Mine is pretty quiet, and the vibrations are minimal, but that is because mine is one where the back wheel is removed, and the bike actually mounts onto the machine, purely because I lived in a flat. It is about a grand. 

If you buy one that is on rollers, I think it is much different.

Effectively, there is a turbo trainer for most scenarios. 

I now have a garage and keep it in there and just go out each morning. The #1 problem that you will have, peloton or turbo, is getting enough cold air to you to cool you down because without the wind resistance you get when you ride a bike, it really isn't nice...
  • se9addick said:
    How much are they at the moment? 
    The new  version costs £2,250. The monthly subscription is £40.

I spent weeks looking at alternatives. Narrowed it down to two high end bikes costing £1200 - £1700. They both involved monthly subscriptions to cycling apps like iFit or Kenomap. But when I looked at the reviews of the two companies supplying the bikes there were endless tales of absolutely horrendous after sales and customer service. 

The Peloton experience, so far, is comparable to the customer service you receive when you buy an Apple product.
    I completely agree with this, I actually think Peloton offer a great product, it's not the cheapest and it's not the best, a lot like apple.

It's a bike for people who aren't cyclists, and it does that incredibly well. 
  • I can’t wait to read Leroy’s views.....admin might have to close the thread!
    I was tempted to try and summon him... 
    Only Peloton bike gives you access to the Peloton classes. Although the on-line app, which is free whilst you wait for your bike to be delivered but otherwise cost £13 per month, has a heading for cycling classes. Not sure if it is the same classes you access on the screen attached to a Peloton bike.
  • Had mine about 18 months.
    love it.
    like Beds, I hate gyms so it was worth the price as an alternative without losing the fitness.

make sure you join the #cafc on there

when they first introduced the hashtags I set up the cafc one and it was just me and my uncle for the first 6 months  :D there’s a few more of us on it now though.
    I was reading that the cycling app (not the spin classes) is not as good as iFit or Kenomap. For example when you hit a hill it does not automatically increase the resistance. Do you use this app much? Are there rides you recommend for the quality of the video and the locations?
  • We got one a couple of years ago and love it (especially the missus),

Their treadmills went on sale in the UK on Boxing Day so have ordered one of them as well. Getting delivered on 1 Feb.
  • Sponsored links:

• Indoor trainer and sufferfest, you cant go wrong. Monthly subscription to SF works out roughly £11.00 per month and the content is superb. I have just finished a session.

https://thesufferfest.com/
  • Why not just get on a bike and go outside?
  • iainment said:
    Why not just get on a bike and go outside?
    Stay local, 7 miles?
  • iainment said:
    Why not just get on a bike and go outside?
    Thanks Boris

You can get a sub, they were doing free two months, probably are still for the new year. They offer more than just bike classes.
  • edited January 2021
    I get that a turbo trainer is cheaper, been there done that and got the t-shirt. For me, this is a much better experience. The classes are engaging, informative and then there is the cool down sessions, stretch classes and yoga.
    Get that for some it's expensive and I agree, took six months to actually order it as I deliberated for some time. I got the older bike too, mine got £1750 + the extra warranty that I paid for.
    After the first class I realised I had not made a mistake, those who I spoke too who has one and told me to get one were right.
    Do what works for you, this is for me!

• edited January 2021
    Anyone interested in something similar, get on the Apple Fitness+ If you have—or have interest in—an Apple Watch. I’m really enjoying it. It has cycling as well as other kinds of workouts. I’ve taken up yoga! For $30 month Apple One Bundle, you get TV, magazines, music etc. all in one.
  • We got one in March, luckily ordered it just before lockdown and came in the 1st week. We have used it loads. Expensive but in my opinion its well worth it 
  • I can see why you might want a load of fancy controls if you're seriously into it. For me, I'd never consider anything with a subscription. I put my knackered old exercise bike in front of the telly with an old recording of the Vuelta and I'm off.
    I always find it odd when people who get into cyling and want to spend a fortune on kit. I undestand why people who race want the best bike possible, but if your just an ordinary Joe who wants a bit of a work out surely the shitter the bike the better -  that way you'll have to work harder.