Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Peloton Bike

Comments

• Options
    Apple Fitness + is pretty good for the money, cheaper buy in with the watch and a bundled service.

I have views on Peloton which I’ll keep to myself, but Leroy has already done most of the heavy lifting on them. Buy a turbo trainer and use Zwift or Apple Fitness +, a metric fuck ton cheaper
  • Options
    Never been much of a gym guy but moved in with the GFs parents in September and her Dad has one. I've used it pretty much every day since. 

Started with the scenic rides but once you start doing classes you realise the benefit. I love it. Properly world class. Whole family use it here. We often have fights to get on the peloponnese and the gym (we converted half of the double garage in lockdown -also has treadmill, bench and floor exercise area) is the most used space is the house.

Having said all that there's no way I'd spend that money on one myself at this stage in life. I'll defo be looking for a cheaper one and finding alternative classes to do. There are loads of youtube videos you can do for the stretches/arms/bodyweight sessions which are just as good.
  • Options
    I've had mine about 18 month and I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say it's the best purchase I've ever made. LOVE IT

Even before COVID it really suits my lifestyle with young kids I was never getting to the gym, having the bike in my newly created home gym means I can jump on whenever I have 20-60 mins. I'm about 400 rides in and now using the bootcamp classes and the stretching (casted to a second screen)

Personally I love the variety and the competitive element of it all with the PB's and leaderboards. As mentioned by others the service and the community they have created is first class. I'm seriously tempted by the treadmill.

You can follow certain hashtags and there's even a CAFC one - if anyone wants to follow its - SteveMac5 

being fair I have a friend who works for Zwift which I've used and if you get a good turbo trainer I have to say it's a pretty good and much cheaper alternative 
  • Options
    I bought a $300 spin bike from Walmart and a $40 wahoo cadence sensor and subscribe to the peloton app. Love it. The only thing I can’t measure is resistance but couldn’t justify the $2,000 bike.
  • Options
    FYI - As the Peloton screen is a large Android tablet you can sideload Zwift if you wanted, though you'll need to purchase and install power pedals as Zwift cannot get the data from the bike How to Load Zwift or TrainerRoad on a Peloton Bike: A Geek's Guide (dcrainmaker.com)

Believe you can also watch Netflix on it, not sure why you'd want too as the classes are engaging. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I can see why you might want a load of fancy controls if you're seriously into it. For me, I'd never consider anything with a subscription. I put my knackered old exercise bike in front of the telly with an old recording of the Vuelta and I'm off.
    I always find it odd when people who get into cyling and want to spend a fortune on kit. I undestand why people who race want the best bike possible, but if your just an ordinary Joe who wants a bit of a work out surely the shitter the bike the better -  that way you'll have to work harder.
    Just to clarify nothing fancy or expensive using "Sufferfest", as I said it costs £11.00 per month and you ride what you like while watching the screen. The good thing about SF training videos is most of them are extracts from all the top pro races so if you like the idea of training/riding with your hero's in the grand tours it's a win win.

I used to hook my road bike up to a turbo trainer however I have now bought a good quality indoor spin bike that does the same job. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    All I see from Peloton users is pictures of pretty female instructors, no wonder so many middle aged men use it
    That may be the case for some, I'm still getting to know all the different instructors and which ones I like. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    Glovepup said:
    Rothko said:
    All I see from Peloton users is pictures of pretty female instructors, no wonder so many middle aged men use it
    That may be the case for some, I'm still getting to know all the different instructors and which ones I like. 
    The ones that bend over just the right amount?
    How did you know?
  • Options
    Just out of interest, how long do peleton classes go on for?
  • Options
    Just out of interest, how long do peleton classes go on for?
    You can pick, warm ups and cool downs at 5mins, rides can be 10, 20, 30, 45, 60 or 90 minutes.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I really miss the gym (or rather my body misses the gym!) but I like the variety of equipment you can use there, so my plan is to wait until I get a jab then get back

I don't use the exercise bikes much anyway, let alone go to spin classes etc

One comment I've read that a problem with having this sort of equipment inside the house, especially in the living room if you don't have a spare room, is that your living room ends up smelling like a gym! Is that the case?
  • Options
    I really miss the gym (or rather my body misses the gym!) but I like the variety of equipment you can use there, so my plan is to wait until I get a jab then get back

I don't use the exercise bikes much anyway, let along go to spin classes etc

One comment I've read that a problem with having this sort of equipment inside the house, especially in the living room if you don't have a spare room, is that your living room ends up smelling like a gym! Is that the case?
    Mine is in the spare room (playroom/office/home gym) so I cant really comment. But we did invest in a heavy duty floor fan as the sweat drips soon become a lake  :s
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Stig said:
    I can see why you might want a load of fancy controls if you're seriously into it. For me, I'd never consider anything with a subscription. I put my knackered old exercise bike in front of the telly with an old recording of the Vuelta and I'm off.
    I always find it odd when people who get into cyling and want to spend a fortune on kit. I undestand why people who race want the best bike possible, but if your just an ordinary Joe who wants a bit of a work out surely the shitter the bike the better -  that way you'll have to work harder.
    I've got a £150 excercise bike that does the trick, Boring as hell of course but that can be mitigated by earphones in for music or just watching a match - I will often do two 45 minute sessions with a 15 minute break in between! 
    What a coincidence.

I will often do two 45 second sessions with a 15 minute break in between! 
  • Options
    I'll get one when they market a Keirin.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My favorite instructors are Jess King, Leanne Hainsby and Hannah Frankson. Ben Alldis is also good. Who are your favorite instructors?
  • Options
    Hannah Frankson and Ben Aldiss are my favourite  . Bens  Ministry’s of Sound rides are great . 
  • Options
    Intervals and Arms with Alex Toussant. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    #Bensarmy for me. I don't mind his Mrs Leanne Hainsby but her constant dancing/theatrics can get tiresome. Matt Wilpers Power Zone rides are also very good as are all of the Power Zone instructors. The wife enjoys the Cody classes but I think I would end up smashing the screen listening to him! 
  • Options
    Sod that.

Apply rule #5 and #9
    https://www.velominati.com/

Have spent hours and hours on turbo trainer and rollers using sufferfest and zwift but nothing comes close to actually going for a bike ride.

If you want to get fit, hire a proper cycling coach.  Go speak with my friend Ian http://www.rule5cyclingcoaching.com/
  • Options
    First few responses all like Ben.
    He’s the only one I can’t stand.

Favourites are probably Robin, Alex and Hannah F.
  • Options
    I’ve just fallen off my bike at how much people pay for this stuff. Wowsers!
    Serves you right for texting whilst riding.
  • Options
    Just completed a 10 minute introduction to Pilates and a 15 minute arm toning sessions. Both with the lovely Emma Lovewell.

I have spent a decade pushing and pulling 50kg - 65kg on various weight machines at the gymn. I was unable to keep up with her exercises using two 2kg weights!
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I looked into Peloton but couldn't justify the mad subscription price. Ended up going with a Proform smart power bike which has a built in screen, has live sessions and lots of different exercises for endurance, HIIT workouts etc and automatically adjusts the cadence when you cycling uphill etc. Some of the locations are amazing on the built in workouts and include places like Hawaii, Barcelona and Turkey to name just a few.  Screen rotates so you can do other workouts off the bike when doing a mixed session.

Cost me £900 from Sweatband.com and includes a 1 year family subscription so you can have up to 4 different users on the one iFit ccount.

Also, Amazon sell a yearly subscription renewal for £80.

https://www.proformfitness.co.uk/exercise-bike/studio-series/smart-power-100-pro