Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Peloton Bike

124»

Comments

• Options
    Brilliant rate it big time.
  • Options
    Tavern said:
    Have you & @Curb_It got a tandem?
  • Options
    Tavern said:
    Have you & @Curb_It got a tandem?
    Not yet fella
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Huskaris said:
    clive said:

Peloton has recalled about 125,000 treadmills in the US after the death of a six-year-old child.

A US watchdog said the Tread and Tread+ machines pose a risk of injury or death to adults, children and pets if they get pulled underneath.

Tread machines sold in the UK are also being recalled because display consoles could fall off.

In addition to the death, Peloton had 72 reports of injuries such as broken bones, cuts and grazes.

Peloton boss John Foley said the firm had "made a mistake" in not recalling the machines sooner.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56993894

A product recall is the biggest fear in almost any company. 

They'd better have good insurance or this could bankrupt them. 
    Having dabbled a bit in product recall insurance, you are quite right. I can also say with some certainty that they won’t have enough anywhere enough cover for 125k unit recalls and a death of a minor and god knows what else. Of course liability may not rest solely with Peloton. When the root cause of the issue is determined, they could have a claim against a supplier of a component part. The damage to the brand is their biggest problem and I wouldn’t want to be one of their investors or financial backers right now.
    They're fucked anyway. Over-inflated price on the stock market based on hype and cretins believing that it will somehow replace gyms for the majority of people who used to go pre-pamdemic. Gyms about to reopen. No more realistic growth available to them (market saturation), Zwift probably about to go public (I'd guess at some time in Q4 this year).

It's always been a turd as a long term investment, but unlike many unicorns, it was lucky enough to ride a wave of hype and had the added benefit of the pandemic creating it a massive commercial advantage. That's done now - anyone holding stock in this long term is deluded.

Zwift is in an even worse position. The product is stagnating, there are horrendous back end issues with the core code that the game world runs on, they're pretty much at peak numbers now (or near to it), and anybody who is likely to use it has already signed up. If they push through with an IPO this year, it'll tank. 
    Well I for one don't share this negative opinion and hope it isn't the end for them... it's a fantastic bit of kit and the community and everything involved with it is first class. I guess some people just want everyone else to fail.
    Like I said, Unicorn. 

Brilliant! Glad you feel vindicated.

I however am delighted to have added the Tread to my home gym this week to sit alongside my bike.

I still love and it still suits my lifestyle perfectly.
    Respect from a NordicTrack fan.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Huskaris said:
    clive said:

Peloton has recalled about 125,000 treadmills in the US after the death of a six-year-old child.

A US watchdog said the Tread and Tread+ machines pose a risk of injury or death to adults, children and pets if they get pulled underneath.

Tread machines sold in the UK are also being recalled because display consoles could fall off.

In addition to the death, Peloton had 72 reports of injuries such as broken bones, cuts and grazes.

Peloton boss John Foley said the firm had "made a mistake" in not recalling the machines sooner.

Having dabbled a bit in product recall insurance, you are quite right. I can also say with some certainty that they won’t have enough anywhere enough cover for 125k unit recalls and a death of a minor and god knows what else. Of course liability may not rest solely with Peloton. When the root cause of the issue is determined, they could have a claim against a supplier of a component part. The damage to the brand is their biggest problem and I wouldn’t want to be one of their investors or financial backers right now.
    They're fucked anyway. Over-inflated price on the stock market based on hype and cretins believing that it will somehow replace gyms for the majority of people who used to go pre-pamdemic. Gyms about to reopen. No more realistic growth available to them (market saturation), Zwift probably about to go public (I'd guess at some time in Q4 this year).

It's always been a turd as a long term investment, but unlike many unicorns, it was lucky enough to ride a wave of hype and had the added benefit of the pandemic creating it a massive commercial advantage. That's done now - anyone holding stock in this long term is deluded.

Zwift is in an even worse position. The product is stagnating, there are horrendous back end issues with the core code that the game world runs on, they're pretty much at peak numbers now (or near to it), and anybody who is likely to use it has already signed up. If they push through with an IPO this year, it'll tank. 
    Well I for one don't share this negative opinion and hope it isn't the end for them... it's a fantastic bit of kit and the community and everything involved with it is first class. I guess some people just want everyone else to fail.
    Like I said, Unicorn. 

I however am delighted to have added the Tread to my home gym this week to sit alongside my bike.

That's great. But the fact remains - hype aside - it's a spin bike. Or a treadmill. Hence the ridiculous drop in share price - which is only going to get worse as the pandemic recedes. 
  • Options
    Great I’ll keep using it to improve my physical and most importantly my mental health and you can track the share price of that gives you a kick.

I find it puzzling your so keen to kick something that provides so much benefit to so many.

I’m not bothered about the cost, it’s not an issue for me more that I get the benefit out of it which I massively do.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Huskaris said:
    clive said:

Like I said, Unicorn. 

That's great. But the fact remains - hype aside - it's a spin bike. Or a treadmill. Hence the ridiculous drop in share price - which is only going to get worse as the pandemic recedes. 
    And as Apple continue to squeeze the life out of that market 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Huskaris said:
    clive said:

Like I said, Unicorn. 

It was not sustainable, or did you already mention that?
    Cant be bothered looking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    How the hell does a company like that have 2,800 employees (just 20% of its workforce) in the first place?!

I'm not surprised this company is in the position it is in, they believe their own hype and grow their overheads too much thinking the only way is up. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    How the hell does a company like that have 2,800 employees (just 20% of its workforce) in the first place?!

I'm not surprised this company is in the position it is in, they believe their own hype and grow their overheads too much thinking the only way is up. 
    Some of the fintechs will be interesting to watch.  Massive workforce costs as they’ve gone through hyper growth, worth billions, but not yet turned a profit.  I’m intrigued to see how the likes of Revolut do in the long run.  

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Huskaris said:

Some of the fintechs will be interesting to watch.  Massive workforce costs as they’ve gone through hyper growth, worth billions, but not yet turned a profit.  I’m intrigued to see how the likes of Revolut do in the long run.  

They go through staff like we go through owners. Tough culture by all accounts.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Huskaris said:

They go through staff like we go through owners. Tough culture by all accounts.
    Revolut is known for its toxic culture, they pay well and burn people out. Their also rolling in SoftBank money, so no chance of going bust soon.

Monzo are operating week to week making profit, starling are profitable, but that might be a bit fake as it’s driven by bounce back loans 
  • Options
    I have to try and sell to them. Wise and Checkout.com seem to be the pick for the analysts at the moment
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I have to try and sell to them. Wise and Checkout.com seem to be the pick for the analysts at the moment
    Who do you work for? We talked to Checkout recently, they are good, but not quiet Stripe good yet. (Transfer)wise are great company.

• Options
    Anyone tried one of the new Lanebreak rides? Not sure myself, at the moment. Feel it needs a leader board. I will give it a few more goes. As someone who only does 15 and 20 minute scenic rides it might be a nice change one or two times a week.
  • Options
    Not tried it yet, but would love it if they focused on creating games. Something like Road Rash would be pretty great.