Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Peloton Bike

Comments

• Options

Safety regulators in the US have urged owners of a Peloton treadmill to stop using the product "immediately" if they have children or pets in the home.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) says it is aware of 39 incidents including one death, involving the Peloton Tread+.

• Options
    clive said:

Safety regulators in the US have urged owners of a Peloton treadmill to stop using the product "immediately" if they have children or pets in the home.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) says it is aware of 39 incidents including one death, involving the Peloton Tread+.

Just seen the footage of that kid getting dragged under.

That is very, very dangerous, if it meets a certain level of resistance like that there should be a safety cut off...
  • Options
    Anyone tried the new scenic rides released over the week end. There are three types: Guided( basically a spin class with an instructor but outside along a scenic route) , Time (traditional scenic routes but new - really enjoyed the 10 k in Central Park and down the Westside bike lane) and Distance ( this is the game changer for Peloton if they regularly update with new rides...they are responsive so the speed of the video goes up and down according to your power output).

I did the 5k Pupukee Forest ride this morning with a time of 11:01 mins.
  • Options
    I joined the 500 club on Friday (500+ output for a 30 mins ride). I basically had to ignore the instructor and just go full pelt for half an hour. I was a sweaty mess at the end! 
  • Options

Peloton has recalled about 125,000 treadmills in the US after the death of a six-year-old child.

A US watchdog said the Tread and Tread+ machines pose a risk of injury or death to adults, children and pets if they get pulled underneath.

Tread machines sold in the UK are also being recalled because display consoles could fall off.

In addition to the death, Peloton had 72 reports of injuries such as broken bones, cuts and grazes.

Peloton boss John Foley said the firm had "made a mistake" in not recalling the machines sooner.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56993894

• Options
    clive said:

Peloton has recalled about 125,000 treadmills in the US after the death of a six-year-old child.

A US watchdog said the Tread and Tread+ machines pose a risk of injury or death to adults, children and pets if they get pulled underneath.

Tread machines sold in the UK are also being recalled because display consoles could fall off.

In addition to the death, Peloton had 72 reports of injuries such as broken bones, cuts and grazes.

Peloton boss John Foley said the firm had "made a mistake" in not recalling the machines sooner.

A product recall is the biggest fear in almost any company. 

They'd better have good insurance or this could bankrupt them. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    clive said:

Having dabbled a bit in product recall insurance, you are quite right. I can also say with some certainty that they won’t have enough anywhere enough cover for 125k unit recalls and a death of a minor and god knows what else. Of course liability may not rest solely with Peloton. When the root cause of the issue is determined, they could have a claim against a supplier of a component part. The damage to the brand is their biggest problem and I wouldn’t want to be one of their investors or financial backers right now.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    clive said:

Having dabbled a bit in product recall insurance, you are quite right. I can also say with some certainty that they won’t have enough anywhere enough cover for 125k unit recalls and a death of a minor and god knows what else. Of course liability may not rest solely with Peloton. When the root cause of the issue is determined, they could have a claim against a supplier of a component part. The damage to the brand is their biggest problem and I wouldn’t want to be one of their investors or financial backers right now.
    They're fucked anyway. Over-inflated price on the stock market based on hype and cretins believing that it will somehow replace gyms for the majority of people who used to go pre-pamdemic. Gyms about to reopen. No more realistic growth available to them (market saturation), Zwift probably about to go public (I'd guess at some time in Q4 this year).

It's always been a turd as a long term investment, but unlike many unicorns, it was lucky enough to ride a wave of hype and had the added benefit of the pandemic creating it a massive commercial advantage. That's done now - anyone holding stock in this long term is deluded.

Zwift is in an even worse position. The product is stagnating, there are horrendous back end issues with the core code that the game world runs on, they're pretty much at peak numbers now (or near to it), and anybody who is likely to use it has already signed up. If they push through with an IPO this year, it'll tank. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    clive said:

They're fucked anyway. Over-inflated price on the stock market based on hype and cretins believing that it will somehow replace gyms for the majority of people who used to go pre-pamdemic. Gyms about to reopen. No more realistic growth available to them (market saturation), Zwift probably about to go public (I'd guess at some time in Q4 this year).

It's always been a turd as a long term investment, but unlike many unicorns, it was lucky enough to ride a wave of hype and had the added benefit of the pandemic creating it a massive commercial advantage. That's done now - anyone holding stock in this long term is deluded.

Zwift is in an even worse position. The product is stagnating, there are horrendous back end issues with the core code that the game world runs on, they're pretty much at peak numbers now (or near to it), and anybody who is likely to use it has already signed up. If they push through with an IPO this year, it'll tank. 
    That’s interesting. Sounds like the recall is the end of the road for them. I don’t know how advertising works on sky but whilst trawling though something to watch earlier, Peloton was trending in second spot. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    clive said:

You could run a great stock tips blog. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    clive said:

That’s interesting. Sounds like the recall is the end of the road for them. I don’t know how advertising works on sky but whilst trawling though something to watch earlier, Peloton was trending in second spot. 
    It won't be the end of the road. They're enough of a value proposition to keep going and make a sustainable business. But it'll be the end of the hype. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Huskaris said:
    clive said:

During lockdown I bought a fairly cheap exercise bike and an even cheaper tablet along with a peloton subscription. I was using it pretty much daily but since gyms reopened a couple of weeks ago I haven’t used it once. My Frankenstein setup now gathers dust in the corner of a room in my house.  
  • Options
    Talking to people I still know in the sports tech industry, they are all getting killed by Apple sneaking into this market and doing damage via the Watch, and it'll end up with them either going bust or desperately selling to Google or Samsung to give them a chance. 

The only ways to survive is to stay niche and have other revenue streams like Strava or get brought. 
  • Options
    The bike is far and away their biggest seller so whilst the tread recall isn't ideal i think the bike sales will remain buoyant.

im in no rush to get back to a gym, especially as i would imagine like everything post pandemic the prices will go up.

• Options
    Still loving FulGaz on my Wahoo Kick'r....£9.99 a month to ride pretty much anywhere in the world...
  • Options
    Still loving what my Peloton offers, get that it's not for everyone. But that's life. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    clive said:

Well I for one don't share this negative opinion and hope it isn't the end for them... it's a fantastic bit of kit and the community and everything involved with it is first class. I guess some people just want everyone else to fail.
  • Options
    WSS said:
     I’d expect a lot more than a few women in Lycra telling me to “keep going”.
    Ah those were the days.
  • Options
    Anyone interested in a group scenic ride/race for #CAFC members one evening next week?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought this was gonna be about a brass from SE10. 
  • Options
    Anyone tried the new scenic rides released over the week end. There are three types: Guided( basically a spin class with an instructor but outside along a scenic route) , Time (traditional scenic routes but new - really enjoyed the 10 k in Central Park and down the Westside bike lane) and Distance ( this is the game changer for Peloton if they regularly update with new rides...they are responsive so the speed of the video goes up and down according to your power output).

I did the 5k Pupukee Forest ride this morning with a time of 11:01 mins.
    My favourite is the one that goes through the City of London, on the pavement, in the rush hour. 
  • Options
    Bought mine a couple of months back.  I love it.  So convenient to have it in the spare room, wake up, get straight on it and I’ve done a good solid bit of exercise for the day without even having to leave the house.  

For me it’s brilliant because my right knee is shot and I work from home, so cardio wise I get so much from it. 

I am now working at learning the power zones etc and love the way you can track your output and see improvements.  
  • Options
    I succumbed and bought one off one of the lawyers going back to the US so I got it at a decent price. I’ve always enjoyed spin and I don’t have the courage to go out on the road. So far I love it. Fantastic bit of kit. Need to get my fitness levels up but my two dodgy knees are restricting me a bit. 

Hopefully it won’t turn in to a clothes horse once the novelty wears off. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Curb_It said:
    I succumbed and bought one off one of the lawyers going back to the US so I got it at a decent price. I’ve always enjoyed spin and I don’t have the courage to go out on the road. So far I love it. Fantastic bit of kit. Need to get my fitness levels up but my two dodgy knees are restricting me a bit. 

Hopefully it won’t turn in to a clothes horse once the novelty wears off. 
    Excellent. Good to hear you’re enjoying it.

Make sure to join the #CAFC (edit: if you haven’t already), I set it up when they first introduced hashtags, think we’re up to about 18/19 people on there now.
  • Options
    Get a motorbike for £400
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Huskaris said:
    clive said:

Well I for one don't share this negative opinion and hope it isn't the end for them... it's a fantastic bit of kit and the community and everything involved with it is first class. I guess some people just want everyone else to fail.
    Like I said, Unicorn. 

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I’ll have a look for the hashtag 

Cabbles1947 if anyone wants to follow

I found out a bloke from work was on it, started following him.  All the female instructors for his rides 😂
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Huskaris said:
    clive said:

Like I said, Unicorn. 

Brilliant! Glad you feel vindicated.

I however am delighted to have added the Tread to my home gym this week to sit alongside my bike.

I still love and it still suits my lifestyle perfectly.