Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Thread: Burton Albion v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 24th November 2020

edited November 2020 in General Charlton
Game 12 of our season, win or banana skin?

Number 2 of 3 away games in 7 days and on paper, 5th versus bottom should result in  us winning and 3 valuable points.
But football isn't played on paper and as our Mr Bowyer is wont to say, "there are no easy games",

Charlton Boss Lee Bowyer: “The schedule is crazy at the moment, so we have to patch them up and get them ready to go again on Tuesday. We want to try and win every game and we were disappointed not to get all three points [on Saturday], but we've still got this unbeaten run of form which gives us a lot of confidence."

There's a big game against fellow promotion chasers Ipswich on Saturday, for which Bows undoubtedly will want to pick his strongest side.
Tonight then, we can expect some changes as Bow's favourite rotation strategy kicks in to keep the starting lineup fresh.

Charlton: Amos; Matthews, Gunter, Pratley (C), Maatsen; Watson, Gilbey, Shinnie, Maddison; Smyth, Bogle

Substitutes: Maynard-Brewer, Pearce, Oshilaja, Morgan, Williams, Washington, Aneke

You can watch the match live on Valley Pass:
https://charltonafcpayments.streamamg.com/account/register/step1

Comments

• There's a big game tonight, Ipswich v Hull ........ they can't both win. :smile:

• Come use Addicks ting init!
  • Buzzing for this game. Hoping to see Smyth start, he reminds me so much of Leko, with his directness though maybe a little more refined in possession. 
  • Look at that bench, just look at that bench 👀👀🤓🤓
  • Oh that team is filthy!!!
    Mustard. Burton won't be pushovers, but I hope we smash em and Bogle and Maddison bag some goals. 

Get a real 'statement' win. 

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Look at that bench, just look at that bench 👀👀🤓🤓
    Great to see Oshilaja named when he wasnt on Saturday

Was worried he'd picked up a further knock or something
  • I can't see how that isn't very close to the strongest side even now. Who's being rested for Ipswich? Washington? That's about it
  • Taking a risk perhaps resting so many players for Saturday but the screaming and wailing if a key player got injured would be never ending.

Strong bench and with five subs we have options.  Pearce and Deji can't be fully fit if they're not starting in this one.

1 - 2 after falling behind. Bogle and Maddison score.

Up the Addicks
  • Sponsored links:

• Is JFC injured though?
  • edited November 2020
    Front 2 have scored zilch so far this season.......and if memory serves me correctly the starting 11 have scored just TWO goals between them in the league so far. May have to rely on the second half subs to win this one for us.

Don't forget its 11 months & 18 matches since we last won from going behind....
  • No Levitt in the squad at all tonight, plenty of different conclusions to draw from that
  • The bloke on their badge really does have a beer gut.

Let's hope he plays tonight.
  • I still don't think we have a fav front 2 but Washington played Internationals and then on Sat so will be fresh for Sat (and not needed later today).
  • Leuth said:
    I can't see how that isn't very close to the strongest side even now. Who's being rested for Ipswich? Washington? That's about it
    Inniss / Famewo probably the only two missing that you'd have in there

Morgan has been great and would potentially bring him on for Maddison later in the game but unfortunately dont think I can justify him starting ahead of anyone if they're all 100% fit (which they're not)
  • Only 2 changes to the starting line up then:

Gilbey replaces Albie Morgan.

And 'Little Smyth' starts in place of Connor 'Garry Nelson' Washington.

• Oshilaja and Williams replace Levitt and Purrington in the 18

Does Levitt have a knock or is this the first time he's actually been left out of the league 18?
  • I'm still shocked when I see LB name a team in recent weeks. What a starting line up and bench !!! LB must have to pinch himself when he looks at picking the starting lineup. Sooner or later we are going to give someone a proper 5-0 spanking. Thank you Thomas
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    Leuth said:
    Is JFC injured though?
    Yes ...... 'minor hamstring complaint'.

Edit: Which, roughly translated, means out for 3 months.  :smile:

• MattF said:
    No Levitt in the squad at all tonight, plenty of different conclusions to draw from that
    I can only think of one actual conclusion.
  • Can only assume Levitt is seen as someone to play against the better "footballing" sides in the divison, or maybe having Pratley in defence and Watson in midfield leaves no room for him 
  • I assume we are deliberately trying not to score. 

Bogle, Smyth, Watson.

In Pratley we trust again.

• 3 0 Charlton. 
    Sit back and enjoy 
  • Leuth said:
    I can't see how that isn't very close to the strongest side even now. Who's being rested for Ipswich? Washington? That's about it
    Inniss / Famewo probably the only two missing that you'd have in there

Morgan has been great and would potentially bring him on for Maddison later in the game but unfortunately dont think I can justify him starting ahead of anyone if they're all 100% fit (which they're not)
    To an extent I see this game as Gilbey getting much needed minutes against a weaker team, so it doesn't automatically mean that Morgan won't play on Saturday

It'll be interesting what subs we make IF we can get a comfortable lead. Peace on in place of either Pratley or Watson to rest them for Saturday would be desirable I imagine
  • Can understand the concern about resting some players with
    Ipswich coming up Saturday, but at the same time we need a good
    performance tonight and a win, otherwise Saturday becomes an even
    harder pressure game.
    Still expect 6 points from the next two games starting with a good
    0-3 tonight COYR :)
  • Like that team a lot
  • One of Bowyer's few faults is he can get over obsessed with the game we are not playing. 
  • The midfield I’ve been crying out for since all of those signings were announced around the deadline. Looking forward to this one.

Could be a 4-4-2 diamond with Watson holding and Maddison in behind the strikers or a 4-3-3 with Maddison and Smyth either side of Bogle.

Either way, very happy with that and feels like we’re getting close to our best XI now. Only Inniss and Famewo missing.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!