Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Carabao Cup 2020/2021 (ed Pg.5 - Round 2 West Ham away)

Starting this thread now in preparation for next season as details have been released 

Carabao Cup 

The 2020/21 competition has seen a number of significant scheduling changes with two legged semi-finals being replaced by a single tie and the first four rounds scheduled to take place on consecutive weeks, kicking off in early September. 

Round One fixtures are scheduled to take place on Saturday, September 5th, but due to the international window may be played on alternative dates. Rounds Two, Three and Four will be played on consecutive midweeks dates starting September 15th/16th. 

Premier League sides will enter the competition in Round Two or Round Three if they are competing in European competition in season 2020/21. 

The Draw for the Round One will take place on Sky Sports News on Tuesday, August 18th, time TBC.  

As per the previous two seasons, the Round One draw will be divided into a northern and southern section but will remain unseeded.  

The dates for the 2020/21 Carabao Cup are as follows:

• Round One - September 5th 2020 (alternative dates may apply)

• Round Two - September 15th/16th 2020

• Round Three - September 22nd/23rd 2020

• Round Four - September 29th/30th 2020

• Round Five - December 22nd/23rd 2020

• Semi-Finals - January 5th/6th 2021 (tie to be played at the venue of Club drawn out first)

• Final - February 28th 2021

Comments

• Why don't they just cancel it this season? 
  • Nailed on to draw Oxford United away and get knocked out in the first round.
  • PopIcon said:
    Nailed on to draw Oxford United Barrow or Harrogate away and get knocked out in the first round.
    ... is what I think you meant to say.
  • PopIcon said:
    Nailed on to draw Oxford United Barrow or Harrogate away and get knocked out in the first round.
    Nah cant face them, they'll be in the Northern half of the draw
  • Can't see Barrow or Harrogate in the Southern half of the draw.
  • PopIcon said:
    Stop spoiling the fun!
  • Said a few weeks ago that the EFL trophy should be suspended and use the dates for league games.

Also maybe time to look at the League Cup. 
  • MK Dons away written all over it
  • PopIcon said:
    Stop spoiling the fun!
    Dont worry, plenty of League Two teams in our half who'll do the business on us ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2020
    The first 4 rounds crammed into one month and then a 3 month wait until the 5th round seems like great planning.
  • That's the EFL for you, masters of planning.
  • The first 4 rounds crammed into one month and then a 3 month wait until the 5th round seems like great planning.
    Probably want to flush the smaller clubs out early when it’s all behind closed doors and then give the Premier League clubs the chance to play the bigger matches in front of audiences. 
  • Feels weird to play a League Cup tie on a Saturday
  • Just treat it as a friendly that and the trophy. Lose both. 
  • Does anyone know if they plan to show the games on Valley Pass? 
    I am guessing we won’t be allowed to attend. Although, given previous crowds in this competition would make social distancing easy. 
    I had forgotten The joys of the EFL cup, they may as well play that at the training ground!! 
    I remember us playing Brentford in the League Cup 1st round in 1980 on a Saturday. Lost at their place 3-1 on the Saturday and then beat them 5-0 at the valley in the week before the first game of the season. 
  • iaitch said:
    Said a few weeks ago that the EFL trophy should be suspended and use the dates for league games.

France just had their last year of 2 cup competitions.
    Leaving England as the only top 5 league with 2 cups per season.
  • edited August 2020
    iaitch said:
    Said a few weeks ago that the EFL trophy should be suspended and use the dates for league games.

France just had their last year of 2 cup competitions.
    Leaving England as the only top 5 league with 2 cups per season.
    Couple of pointless European games they could cut as well though - Both Champions League / Europa League is showing whats achievable over a shorter period

Even if they had two games a day (different KO's like in the Euros or World Cup) rather than spread out
  • Why not change the Champions League back to two legged ties for each round? Oh no the 'big' boys maybe be knocked out too soon.

Its getting boring now with about 26 of the 32 in the group stages being the same clubs, you can only big up an English team against Barcelona/Madrid/Muich so many times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Why don't they just cancel it this season? 
    Its the EFL Trophy thats going ahead this season that should be cancelled for this year, if not forever!!

Everyone has to play at least three games, thats three midweek fixtures that could be used elsewhere
    At least make it a straight knockout tournament like the FA Cup. Playing three group games to cut out only half the teams is silly.
    I remember us playing Brentford in the League Cup 1st round in 1980 on a Saturday. Lost at their place 3-1 on the Saturday and then beat them 5-0 at the valley in the week before the first game of the season. 
    Yes, a hat-trick from Paul Walsh and a brace from the Killer. A portent of things to come - I think they ended up with 18 and 23 respectively for the season.
  • Draw is tomorrow and we are ball 8
  • Draw is tomorrow and we are ball 8
    Yeah... Ball ache!!
  • first out the hat tomorrow 

Number 8 v number 19
  • first out the hat tomorrow 

Number 8 v number 19
    Weird, I always though Champ teams went in at round 2.
  • PopIcon said:
    first out the hat tomorrow 

Number 8 v number 19
    Weird, I always though Champ teams went in at round 2.
    Nope as there wouldnt be enough numbers what with Premier League teams entering in round two as well

As Round One / Round Two cuts out half the teams before Round Three sees the teams in Europe enter

Means that those that finish towards the bottom of the Championship (its decided by placings last year) also enter Round One

So even had we stayed up we'd be in this draw today anyway
  • North Draw being completed first