Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carabao Cup 2020/2021 (ed Pg.5 - Round 2 West Ham away)

Comments

• Options
    AndyG said:
    Is it on valley pass ?
    West Ham game should be as the Swindon one was

Just wont be available for overseas viewers
  • Options

Premier League teams join the Carabao Cup at the second-round stage this week knowing the tournament's winners will enter a new European competition next season.

The winners of this season's cup will not qualify for the Europa League as in the past, but will instead go into the Uefa Europa Conference League (UECL).

They will enter at the play-off phase, the round before the group stages.

If the EFL Cup winners qualify for Europe through the league - as has happened every year since 2013 - then the sixth-placed team in the Premier League (or seventh place if the FA Cup is won by a top-six team) will go into the UECL play-offs.

There will still be at least four English teams in the Champions League and two in the Europa League.

The Europa Conference League, which will have 32 teams in the group stages, will be played on Thursday nights along with the Europa League, which is reduced from 48 to 32 teams.

The UECL groups are likely to contain teams from some of Europe's smaller countries, as well as teams who finish sixth in Spain, Italy and Germany and win the play-offs - in addition to clubs that lose their Europa League qualifiers.

The winners of the UECL qualify for the following season's Europa League.

• Options
    Is the UECL the European version of the Checkatrade Trophy?

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Another downgrade for the League Cup, with entry to a 3rd tier European competition now!
  • Options
    Another downgrade for the League Cup, with entry to a 3rd tier European competition now!
    UEFA's way of trying to get the England Leagues to drop their second cup competition

Especially as we keep being moaned at how we're the only country in Europe with two domestic cups now
  • Options
    There used to be the European Champions Cup, The UEFA cup and the Cup Winners Cup. Another European league is nothing new and if it means more football, I'm not complaining. 
  • Options
    Sounds like the Inter Toto Cup which was taken so seriously by Spurs one year that they played Home matches in Brighton and included an aging Alan Pardew who we had just released. 
  • Options
    There used to be the European Champions Cup, The UEFA cup and the Cup Winners Cup. Another European league is nothing new and if it means more football, I'm not complaining. 
    The difference is though that the UEFA and Cup Winners Cup were at the same level of (high) prestige, whereas now there's a real pecking order in prestige

The Europa League is already seen as a bit second tier, with this new competition is even less prestigious
  • Options
    looking at the early kick off line ups, the Championship teams look at pretty nearly full strength
  • Options
    looking at the early kick off line ups, the Championship teams look at pretty nearly full strength
    I think many of the sides are still building up to full match fitness, a lot of teams looked quite rusty on Saturday, so their players need minutes on the pitch, rather than a rest
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Luton have made 9 changes from their win on Saturday
  • Options
    Lincoln won 5-0, so will play Liverpool 4 days before playing us in the league.
  • Options
    Lincoln won 5-0, so will play Liverpool 4 days before playing us in the league.
    Probably be Liverpool U21s though as the tie is sandwiched between their games with Chelsea and Arsenal.
  • Options
    Spurs look like being handed a bye, after they paid for Leyton Orient to undergo Covid testing. 18 members of the Orient squad tested positive. 

Not much chance of the tie being rearranged as Spurs already have a packed fixture list (they were playing 4 games in 7 days this week)
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I didn't even know testing wasn't mandatory at that level. It's a complete farce that the EFL aren't insisting on tests. How can a league resume without testing?

What if Spurs hadn't paid for testing, and the game had gone ahead and half their squad had caught it?

They'd have been kicked out of the Europa (or had to send a youth team and lost anyway) and it would've caused havoc with their own fixtures.
  • Options
    Spurs look like being handed a bye, after they paid for Leyton Orient to undergo Covid testing. 18 members of the Orient squad tested positive. 

Not much chance of the tie being rearranged as Spurs already have a packed fixture list (they were playing 4 games in 7 days this week)
    I’d presumed it was 2 or 3 players testing positive, not a number like 18! 
  • Options
    I didn't even know testing wasn't mandatory at that level.

What if Spurs hadn't paid for testing, and the game had gone ahead and half their squad had caught it?

They'd have been kicked out of the Europa (or had to send a youth team and lost anyway) and it would've caused havoc with their own fixtures.
    Orient had already said they’d pay for the testing before the game, but Spurs stepped in and said they’d pay for it. 
  • Options
    Toby Stevenson starting for Watford tonight v Newport in the Carabao cup
  • Options
    Conor Gallagher starting for West Brom tonight v Brentford 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I didn't even know testing wasn't mandatory at that level. It's a complete farce that the EFL aren't insisting on tests. How can a league resume without testing?

I read somewhere that West Ham supposedly paid for our tests before the game last week, which raises an interesting question. Presumably Chuks tested negative or he wouldn't have been allowed to play, but he's then feeling ill a day or two later? So how far in advance were they tested, and will he have been infectious at the time he played?
  • Options
    Notice West Ham beat Hull 5-1 tonight... Makes our effort against them even better!!
  • Options
    Conor Gallagher starting for West Brom tonight v Brentford 
    At least both him and Fosu (for Brentford) scored their penalties in the shootout tonight!!
  • Options
    Goals galore last night.

Chelsea 6 Barnsley 0
    Fleetwood 2 Everton 5
    Morecambe 0 Newcastle 7

Millwall also denied a probably game with Man City by losing at home to Burnley.

3 games tonight but the draw is shaping up for the 4th round next week:

Lincoln/Liverpool v Arsenal
    Burnley v Man City/Bournemouth
    Brentford v Fulham
    Everton v West Ham
    Bristol City/Villa v Stoke
    Orient/Spurs v Chelsea
    Newport v Newcastle
    Brighton v Man Utd
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Our FA Cup record is bad enough but I defy anyone to find a club that has a worst record than us in the League Cup of any team that has been consistently in the top three flights of football since the competition began over 60 years go - namely one appearance beyond the 4th round (QF in 2006/7). In fact, in the last 12 years we've only appeared once beyond Round 2 and that was the 3rd Round.

Clubs and fans show no interest whatsoever in the competition simply because priorities lie elsewhere - unless, of course, you win the comp  but that is never likely to happen in the history of the Club let alone in my lifetime!!!!

• Options
    Tom Lockyer forced the Man Utd keeper Dean Henderson to pull off a "superb" save as Luton Town pressed for an equaliser.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54190604

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Rory Delap's 17-year old son (Liam) has scored for Man City on his debut tonight

Dunno why but that makes me feel really old when players who havent long retired have kids already appearing
  • Options
    Rory Delap's 17-year old son (Liam) has scored for Man City on his debut tonight

Dunno why but that makes me feel really old when players who havent long retired have kids already appearing
    It's worse when the children of players you remember are also long retired  :D
  • Options
    Lincoln currently 4-0 down to Liverpool at HT

You presume they've chosen their full strength side, so hopefully they'll be worn out tonight and still tired on Sunday!

Liverpool have Rhys Williams in defence, but not the Australian who struggled for us on loan!