Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Birmingham v Charlton | Post-match thread | 15/07/2020

Comments

• Options
    Davo55 said:
    Bottom line is, we just aren't good enough to compete in the Championship. The team is weaker overall than last season's League One promotion team. When we needed strengthening in January we were instead depleted further, with Conor being pulled out of the ESI mad-house.

This is Charlton, so you never know. We might go and beat in-form Wigan, or go spoil Leeds' promotion party, but with such a powder puff attack it feels very unlikely.

I fear that relegation beckons and although that hurts, to be brutally honest I don't care about that half as much as I do about FINALLY getting decent owners. If we're in League One next season with the current charlatans still hanging on for their grubby payday I don't think the Valley will be seeing much of yours truly for a while.
    Exactly my thoughts also.

If we are relegated then we will go the same way as Bolton if the current ownership remains in place. Unable to compete due to no funding and dropping like a stone through the leagues.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Even in a 4-4-2 Doughty skills are as a wing back which was highlighted so well by the brilliant ball from Williams to Alfie with yet again Bonne getting in a good position to score this time. Alfie was a tad unlucky as he had the beating of the defenders but he may've found McGeady with an earlier ball when he was unmarked. 

• Options
    Negative substitutions from Bowyer have cost us again. December home games ring a few bells? 
    I always find that there are 2 sides to this though. If he didn't make the defensive subs and we conceded, then Bowyer would be moaned at for not defending the lead. Sometimes the players just need to give that bit more. We had a few coasters last night. 
  • Options
    9.14 on Thursday and just about stopped seething over last night!

Thing that so frustrates the hell out of me is why the players can't play out injury time without offering the other side chances to score. It just happens so often. (Compare us to Reading on Saturday who scarcely let us in their half during injury time, keeping us penned in our own half as they won a series of throws and free kicks). Just keep the ball, play it into the corner,etc. It surely can't be that hard to do.

Amazingly we still have one last chance to save ourselves. All I know is if we go into injury time 1-0 up in Saturday's game I confidently predict we will let a goal in! 
  • Options
    Blucher said:

With such a lot riding on the outcome and both sets of players low on confidence, there were bound to be a lot of nerves on display. That was, however, an exceptionally poor quality game, which would certainly not have been out of place in League 1. Charlton made an extremely shaky start, got of jail by virtue of Dillon's penalty save and, save for a couple of bright moments, showed their customary lack of punch up front. We were better in the second half, although Bonne's goal came after Birmingham had enjoyed a brighter spell. McGeady's shot against the post and Camp's point blank save from Bonne denied us the second goal and the insurance that we all, in our heart of hearts, knew we'd need.

Birmingham were a very poor side but we did the old Charlton thing of sitting too deep and inviting the opposition on. The substitutions - other than Aneke for the hopeless Hemed - didn't help, although Doughty had taken a heavy knock and Field, Williams and McGeady may have been feeling leggy. Whatever the thinking was, we were unable to put two passes together in the latter stages and were just camped in and around our box - hence the introduction of Naby towards the end to try and counter Birmingham's aerial bombardment. Pulling absolutely everyone back to within 40 yards of our goal was not a smart play, given the absence of anything resembling an 'out ball', especially against an opponent whose principal tactic is to stick the ball in the mixer. An alternative approach would have been to try and keep the ball and manage the game effectively but that is something that appears totally beyond us. 

In the event, Bellingham, who added some quality to an otherwise bovine side, put a good ball in which somehow ended up in the net. A crushing finale, with just 4 minutes or so between us and salvation. We would almost certainly have stayed up if we’d won although, on one view, we don’t really deserve to do so, given our inability to beat a side who had gone 11 games without a win and lost their last 5 at home.

The portents are not great, given that Wigan have achieved 9 clean sheets in their last 10 games, whereas we've scored just 4 in our last 10. Leeds may well be Champions before next Wednesday or just need a point to confirm it, but I am sure that Bielsa will be demanding a committed performance from them.
    We have to pray for a draw in Luton v Hull and that Blackburn turn up in the final game at Luton. A point against Wigan is possible and, whilst they may have scored 8 on Tuesday, Keith Peacock reminded us recently in his Community Trust interviews that his Gillingham side once scored 18 goals in 2 games (including a 10-0 against second placed Chesterfield) and then proceeded to go on a goal drought. Wigan will certainly be going for the 3 points to confirm their safety, although I fully expect them to beat Fulham in their final game, especially as Parker is bound to rest some key players for the play-offs.
    We might conceivably squeak home on 48 points but a lot of other results have to go our way. I also think that Huddersfield are quite capable of losing their last two games to WBA and Millwall. As straw-clutching goes, that's probably a better bet than the EFL ever reaching a verdict on Wednesday's alleged misdemeanours.
    There is still some hope but I fear that the darkness of League 1 beckons.
    @Blucher Always bang on the money, and extremely well written.
  • Options
    After a night and a morning to mull over it. 

I still cannot put to bed the thought that the subs and our own time wasting cost us.

Bowyer needs to shoulder some of the blame or he'll never grow as a manager.

It ain't over til it's over. 
  • Options
    A decent summing up from Blucher, but Hemed isn't hopeless outside the box but unfortunately he is when in the box and look more like the hapless Lee Novak when he was at the valley. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    ColinTat said:
    When before did Bowyer want to settle for a 1-0 win?  He's doing it now because we don't look like scoring one often, so we have to be defensively solid.  To me he's the best manager we've had in my lifetime.  It's a bloody shame we wasted this squad, and it's success wasn't capitalised on.  I don't blame Bowyer for any of Charlton's failings.
    Don't be ridiculous. 

If you're going to sit back you need an outlet to sprint the ball into the corners to hold it up if you want to hold out. Like we did in those first 3 fixtures since the return. Since then we've reverted to post October's style of sitting deep and offering ourselves no outlet. That's Bowyer's and Jackson's choice to not have a man up field to break when we're defending deep.

Curbishley was a far better manager, Powell I'd argue did better though potentially with fewer hurdles, he did however still have a small budget. 
  • Options
    Shambolic defending for their goal - Phillips and Pearce should have done better. Not a great way to concede.

Hard to see us beating Wigan given our game management and seeming lack of confidence. 

A poor return from the last 4 games at such a crucial time.

Key to the club's future to stay up.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    ColinTat said:
    When before did Bowyer want to settle for a 1-0 win?  He's doing it now because we don't look like scoring one often, so we have to be defensively solid.  To me he's the best manager we've had in my lifetime.  It's a bloody shame we wasted this squad, and it's success wasn't capitalised on.  I don't blame Bowyer for any of Charlton's failings.
    Don't be ridiculous. 

If you're going to sit back you need an outlet to sprint the ball into the corners to hold it up if you want to hold out. Like we did in those first 3 fixtures since the return. Since then we've reverted to post October's style of sitting deep and offering ourselves no outlet. That's Bowyer's and Jackson's choice to not have a man up field to break when we're defending deep.

Curbishley was a far better manager, Powell I'd argue did better though potentially with fewer hurdles, he did however still have a small budget. 
     It isn't ridiculous all previous managers had access and funds to get in players from the above division or same division.  Even in fallow years like 96-97 we signed O'Connell and Gary Poole.  Curbishley was able to sign players like John Bumstead and Steve Gatting who'd played in the top leagues and were defensively solid.  None of them had to operate on a budget like Bowyer's is comparitive to his division rivals, and yet Bowyer's teams are much better to watch barring some of the best Curbishley years.  Powell did not have a small budget on promotion, and they all stated they were signing for the championship.  If you disagree that's fine, just use a bit of critical thinking more watertight than a Soviet submarine.
  • Options
    Haven't read any of these posts because the nature of our bi-polar support means they will largely be hypocritically negative. Bowyer is a crap manager, Phillips kicking isn't good enough, Pearce is too old, Bonne is League One at best etc. Beat Wigan on Saturday and Bows will need a five year deal, Phillips will be the best keeper we've ever produced, Pearcey is a lionhearted captain, Bonne could be better than Taylor etc. I wish many more of us could keep some perspective. We've been in a relegation fight all year. Don't be surprised we are having to battle with other relegation threatened sides for points. Bowyer's had no money to spend and we have been short up front most of the season. Bonne's been out as well for a spell but has still nicked ten goals often as the lone striker as per yesterday (Hemed wasn't in the game). It should be no surprise Bowyer has had to concentrate on defence or that with minutes remaining he tries to use up the time and break the opponents momentum by bring on defensive substitutes. Yes, we have been suckered too often this season but that's because we have got ourselves into winning positions and have been desperately trying to hang onto the points. I just wish the majority could be as passionate and angry about the ownership of the club that has put us in this position. There are still people saying "they are paying the bills" and "I'll give this bloke a chance" etc. ESI have plundered the club, left Bowyer trying to do magic with beans and left us vulnerable to an FA charge and Administration. One day there will be no club and it will all be too late.
    Bowyer's tactics didn't work yesterday as he went too defensive and we had no outlet. Bham were able to play route one football until the inevitable equaliser came.

There is a lot to admire about LB but I'm sure he'd be disappointed with the outcome yesterday. We invited pressure with twenty minutes remaining.

• Options
    Cardinal Sin said:
    Bowyer is a crap manager,  Haven't seen anyone say this after yesterday...
    Phillips kicking isn't good enough, Or this
    Pearce is too old,  Or this
    Bonne is League One at best etc. He's got pelters from many for some reason, despite doing his job of scoring a goal, when the back 6 at the time couldn't do theirs of not conceding. 
    Beat Wigan on Saturday and Bows will need a five year deal, He has a deal.
    Phillips will be the best keeper we've ever produced, Are you saying he's not one of our best home grown Keepers already?
    Pearcey is a lionhearted captain, He can be that and old and still just about good enough
    Bonne could be better than Taylor etc.  He could be, he's quite a few years younger and under the right stewardship cobined with playing alongside a quick winger, I believe he will score loads of goals.

Bonne's been out as well for a spell but has still nicked ten goals often as the lone striker as per yesterday (Hemed wasn't in the game). Hemed was holding the ball up time and time again, he had no options most of the time, but never hid and worked hard with service into his feet he looks decent. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Not sure I understand the desperation to play Doughty at LW. Last night was about as attacking a side as Bowyer could put out. Doughty playing as a wing back got forward plenty, his heat map shows he spent most of his time in the opposition half. Williams naturally cuts inside a lot so that usually will give more space for Doughty to run in to.

I do wonder sometimes if people have watched football before. 
    Shuttling up and down the wing as an attacking "Liverpool style" full back is much more tiring than playing just as a winger, maybe Doughty would be able to play for the full 90 if he was given more of a free attacking role? He was clearly our main danger man yesterday, surely the team could have been built around him a bit?

And there was definitely something wrong with the shape on the left hand side, as Pearce constantly ended up hoofing it long and losing possession.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    ColinTat said:
    Don't be ridiculous. 

It isn't ridiculous all previous managers had access and funds to get in players from the above division or same division.  Even in fallow years like 96-97 we signed O'Connell and Gary Poole.  Curbishley was able to sign players like John Bumstead and Steve Gatting who'd played in the top leagues and were defensively solid.  None of them had to operate on a budget like Bowyer's is comparitive to his division rivals, and yet Bowyer's teams are much better to watch barring some of the best Curbishley years.  Powell did not have a small budget on promotion, and they all stated they were signing for the championship.  If you disagree that's fine, just use a bit of critical thinking more watertight than a Soviet submarine.
    Agree with you, Colin. Bowyer's team is far better to watch than Powell's in the Championship, partly because the latter ended up playing with just one up front. His team was hopeless in the way that Bowyer's is not.

As a player, Bowyer was an excellent attacking midfielder; as a manager he is similarly forward-thinking - even though the players' lack of ability lets him and us down.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    ColinTat said:
    Don't be ridiculous. 

If you see not learning from mistakes as being the best manager in your lifetime, that's a bit weird. If you see slating players in the media as being the best manager in your lifetime, that's also weird. If you see constantly blaming the referee and players for his own tactical mistakes as being the best manager in your lifetime, yep weird. I am fairly certain most of Powell's signings were free or undisclosed. Feel free to prove me wrong. He won the league in his first season and without any additional investment finished 9th in the Championship the following year. Bowyer has had some small investment in the summer, admittedly he lost some players too, but he has also utilised Loans in a way Powell never did. I will admit they are possibly comparable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Bonne could be better than Taylor"

Honestly... What?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I am trying to consider scenarios where we stay up and this is the best (or most realistic) i can come up with:

Hudders lose to West Brom and away to Millwall - finish on 48 points.

We sneak a draw v Wigan, and manage to hold out to only lose 3-0 or so at Leeds.

Wigan fail to beat Fulham.

Barnsley dont turn into Barcelona overnight

Hull lose to Luton (or fail to beat them). We need this to happen as Luton will beat Blackburn last day i think so Hull are the ones to keep below us.

If that happens you end up with something like:

19 Luton 49 points
    20 Charlton 48 points
    21 Huddersfield 48 points
    22 Wigan 47 points
    23 Barnsley 46 points
    24 Hull 46 points
  • Options

Apologies for the poor quality gif but hopefully you can just make out Albie once again losing players running into the box.

Two of them stroll past him, one gets the initial shot off and the other ends up scoring. Nabys positioning also leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Options
    Keep fighting Keep believing
  • Options

Apologies for the poor quality gif but hopefully you can just make out Albie once again losing players running into the box.

Two of them stroll past him, one gets the initial shot off and the other ends up scoring. Nabys positioning also leaves a lot to be desired.
    Its a shame Purrington doesnt drop back and stand on the line just in case either
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    ColinTat said:
    Don't be ridiculous. 

So promotion from a pony league one (look where the 3 who came up and the play off boys from last season have done this season ) with players like Bielik , Aribo, Bauer , Taylor , Cullen , Williams is a decent achievement it’s nowhere near a Wycombe ....
    and with Taylor , leko and Gallagher at the start of this season with the loss of bielik aribo and Bauer with a good wind we flew out the blocks , once the luck had run out the injuries turned up we are punching above where we should be and 4 goals in ten games is shocking .
    bowyer is currently not fit to lace curbs boots and arguable with him and SCP but all 3 have done brilliant but Curbs is different gravy and leagues above the other two .

bowyer has been brilliant but to even suggest better than Curbs is bizarre imo 
  • Options

Was that also  the case when Morgan was taken off at HT against Millwall, after being our best player in the first half ?

I know that Jonny Williams was created at Swarovski as well as Page and Wiggins but to realize that both Morgan and Doughty were manufactured there is making me feel very fragile after the gut wrenching 93 Minute equaliser last night at st Andrews.
  • Options
    Watching that goal again, everyone makes a small error (although I can't see how you can fault Sarr, he's never getting there ahead of Jutkiewicz) - perhaps the most culpable is Lockyer, even, that ball should never get past him, and actually Phillips, I hate to say, could have done a lot better