Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    About time for another plug if the CL Strava group. If you're on Strava (and if you're not, why not? Your rides don't count if they're not on Strava 😂) then search for the Charlton Life Strava club and join. There's more than 40 of us on there 
  • Options
    Got 3 grand burning a hole in my pocket from an insurance settlement. Ever so tempted by this: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cervelo/Aspero-GRX-Disc-Gravel-Bike-2020/N3O4
    I've been looking at getting a Gravel Bike for a little while too now Leroy , your choice is a bit over my budget though , been having a good look at this though https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/road/terra/cat/terra-m20-d-1x-20

Yeah, Orbea do great bikes at good prices. The finishing kit on some of them isn't great - but you can easily replace that. One thing I hate is they used to ship with FSA cranks & chain rings on their 105 equipped bikes (FSA components are shite) but I think they've stopped doing that now. 

Ordered the Aspero in the end - should pick it up Monday. Already being ruined for it by clubmates who've watched my (ahem) 'agricultural' racing style (elbows out, get out the way, shoulder barge, corner what corner)

There's currently a book open on when I'll have my first gravel off - two of them have said it'll be the first ride I do on it... 😒
  • Options
    They still put FSA kit on their bikes - it keeps the cost down allowing them to offer better spec on the key components. I agree it would have been nice to have a choice.

Hoping the Mrs re-equips her Parlee then I can get some of her old Fizik components as otherwise it appears we’re all saving up to buy the club (another thread I know).
  • Options
    They still put FSA kit on their bikes - it keeps the cost down allowing them to offer better spec on the key components. I agree it would have been nice to have a choice.

Hoping the Mrs re-equips her Parlee then I can get some of her old Fizik components as otherwise it appears we’re all saving up to buy the club (another thread I know).
    Ooh a Parlee. ESX? 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Fumbluff said:
    @ The Hive this morning, think that’s the last one over thirty miles (return trip) as I’m definitely not including Sawfend as a London club....

probs Tottingham next......
    After Barnet, I did trips to Wembley, White Hart Lane and today the Taxpayers Stadium....320 miles so far and just about a 25-mile round trip to The Valley to finish off...not sure how I’ll fill my time once that is done...
    Work down the pyramid. National League next. 
  • Options
    Some bits for sale in the market place
  • Options
    Got 3 grand burning a hole in my pocket from an insurance settlement. Ever so tempted by this: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cervelo/Aspero-GRX-Disc-Gravel-Bike-2020/N3O4
    I've been looking at getting a Gravel Bike for a little while too now Leroy , your choice is a bit over my budget though , been having a good look at this though https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/road/terra/cat/terra-m20-d-1x-20

I went with an Orro Gravel bike and can highly recommend it. Really light, fast on the road and comfortable on the gravel.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Not an Orro owner but have serviced plenty of them over the last couple of years and they always seem decent. 

Their distributor I-ride (based in Sussex) are one of the good ones in the industry and the people who work there are great. If you do have any problems with an Orro I'm sure they'd be happy to help.  
  • Options
    Not an Orro owner but have serviced plenty of them over the last couple of years and they always seem decent. 

Their distributor I-ride (based in Sussex) are one of the good ones in the industry and the people who work their are great. If you do have any problems with an Orro I'm sure they'd be happy to help.  
    Cheers. Good stuff. Had my first flat tyre and you can tell the bike is well designed by how easy the back wheel slips back on without having to line up with the disc brakes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I went with an Orro Gravel bike and can highly recommend it. Really light, fast on the road and comfortable on the gravel.
    Thanks for this , interested in https://www.i-ride.co.uk/products/bikes-and-frames/bikes/adventure/2019-terra-c-adventure-1-by/?sku=ORRTCADVGRX6STR48 , says out of stock , but not in any rush.
  • Options
    Need a new gps for my bike, can’t decide between a Garmin 530 or 830.
    Any experience of either or both?
    Any opinions which is better?
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I think the only real difference is that the 830 has a touchscreen, while the 530 is buttons. It’s going to depend on how much you mess with it while you ride. If you just start it and go the touchscreen doesn’t add much. 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Get a Wahoo Elemnt. Have had all 3 that they currently do and love them. Simple to use. Never crash. Companion app is very good.

Got sick of my Garmin crashing, when it dumped day 2 of my London to Paris back in 2017 I vowed never to buy one again.

Currently have an Elemnt Roam. Latest software update has caused a Bluetooth bug, but was advised by their support that a patch is coming tomorrow.
  • Options
    Appreciate nowhere has stock but looking for some low end recommendations. planning on upgrading my budget road bike. Calf injuries keep reducing my running and am cycling more.

Have around £1000 in mind. 

• Options
    kigelia said:
    Appreciate nowhere has stock but looking for some low end recommendations. planning on upgrading my budget road bike. Calf injuries keep reducing my running and am cycling more.

size?
  • Options
    kigelia said:

size?
    Medium frame size (my current bike is 54cm I think).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kigelia said:
    kigelia said:

size?
    Ok, i've got a 56 coming up for sale.
  • Options

I've got the road version, had zero issues so far. Enjoy!
  • Options
    kigelia said:
    kigelia said:

size?
    Got the perfect bike for you :D

Cannondale Synapse, 2015, size 54, Shimano 105 almost new (less than 300 miles) groupset - white and red. Mavic Ksyrium Eltie wheelset.

It's on various buy & sell sites for 900 - you can have it for 850. We'd have to sort out a courier between us (unless you live near Altrincham :smiley::smiley:

• Options
    It’s very nice but it will be on the cycle to work scheme so committed to a new bike.
  • Options
    Cupboard clearance continues in the marketplace..
    shoes
    h/bars, stem, bottle cage
  • Options
    Bike for sale in the market place.
    Merlin Cordite
    Ultegra
    Deda
    Look Keo
    Serviced
    Immaculate
    Winter wheels inc
    £700
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Unfortunately had my bike stolen outside lewisham shopping centre yesterday. 

Anybody know of any cheap bikes around or where I can go to get a cheap road bike. Don’t really want to spend more than £300. Halfords seems to be out of stock on pretty much everything. 

I’m 6’2” so need A large frame and can’t really find much at the moment. 

Appreciate the budget is low, but can’t really afford much more right now.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Can probably get this guy down to £220ish. Is that worth it? 

Or this for £250? 

• Options
    To be honest, neither if those are likely to come with a decent groupset, which is the main thing. At that sort of budget, pretty much nothing will though, so provided everything works and it isn't falling apart, either would be fine. Bonus is you'll probably be able to sell it on for pretty much the same you paid for it. Personally tblhink the Carrera is a better bet (Viking bikes have a reputation for being even shitter than Carrera)