Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    First off bravo you Clem.  Something I always think about but never do.

Interested in what you use to carry clothes etc.  I don't mind riding with a small backpack, but hate shoes/trainers on my back.  Saw a guy on youtube get the cheapest flight out to France and cycle home.  Fancy doing it myself during better times, but can't remember his storage systems.  Also what tyres are you using?  I never have luck with Gatorskins and wouldn't want to ride distances on Armadillos.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    First off bravo you Clem.  Something I always think about but never do.

Interested in what you use to carry clothes etc.  I don't mind riding with a small backpack, but hate shoes/trainers on my back.  Saw a guy on youtube get the cheapest flight out to France and cycle home.  Fancy doing it myself during better times, but can't remember his storage systems.  Also what tyres are you using?  I never have luck with Gatorskins and wouldn't want to ride distances on Armadillos.

Continental GPS 4 Seasons. My fave by far. Took me 965 miles.on LEJOG last year and only had one puncture.

I am using an Ortlieb Saddle bag. TBH it is expensive for what it is and is not really suited to a full on road bike.

If money were no object I would have kitted myself.out on the Tailfin Website.

• Options
    Can't go wrong with 4 seasons. Wouldn't ride skaterskins again if you paid me. Armadillos have always been OK for me as a winter tyre though - interested what problems you've had with them @ColinTat?

My tyres are Vittoria Corsa on my crit bike, and Schwalbe Pro Ones on the road race bike (Corsas feel absolutely beautiful to ride on but cut up something rotten so I go through a lot of them as I train on the crit bike most of the time - I save the Pro Ones for road races because they're thinner and puncture easier - now that you can't have a lap out in races any more, if I puncture my race is pretty much over anyway, even if there's a service car it's generally shit and almost impossible to get back on in the races I do after a wheel change so the tradeoff between that and road feel is worth the risk)

The gravel bike is totally new to me, and I'll be honest I'm not exactly sold on the Gravelkings I've got on there. They don't feel nearly as grippy as I would expect (though that's probably my lack of talent) so will try something else when they've had it
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I currently have Schwalbe Mondial on my bike. Seem to be bomb proof. The pf hasn’t visited me for almost a year.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I currently have Schwalbe Mondial on my bike. Seem to be bomb proof. The pf hasn’t visited me for almost a year.
    Oh dear. Never invoke the PF. You know this... 😏
  • Options
    Can't go wrong with 4 seasons. Wouldn't ride skaterskins again if you paid me. Armadillos have always been OK for me as a winter tyre though - interested what problems you've had with them @ColinTat?

My tyres are Vittoria Corsa on my crit bike, and Schwalbe Pro Ones on the road race bike (Corsas feel absolutely beautiful to ride on but cut up something rotten so I go through a lot of them as I train on the crit bike most of the time - I save the Pro Ones for road races because they're thinner and puncture easier - now that you can't have a lap out in races any more, if I puncture my race is pretty much over anyway, even if there's a service car it's generally shit and almost impossible to get back on in the races I do after a wheel change so the tradeoff between that and road feel is worth the risk)

The gravel bike is totally new to me, and I'll be honest I'm not exactly sold on the Gravelkings I've got on there. They don't feel nearly as grippy as I would expect (though that's probably my lack of talent) so will try something else when they've had it
    What's up with gator skins? I've had them on mine since about Feb over 2000km on them and zero punctures. 
  • Options
    Questions for the tubeless users on here.

One morning last week my back tyre was completely deflated. Not used for maybe 4 or 5 days. Pumped it back up and it seemed to hold the pressure. Could see sealant over the sides of the tyre and rim. Obviously I need to top up the sealant. Went to bike shop today where I bought bike to establish what sealant they used and the guy said probably Stans but he had none and suggested the only sealant he had which was finish line. He poo poo’ed suggestion you should not mix different types of sealant. Got home after spending £15 on 8oz bottle of finish line and whilst looking for videos on how to top up sealant stumbled across video comparing performance of 6 different sealants, including the finish line product, and discovered that not only was the finish line sealant the worst performing but it was different to all other sealants in that it is the only one not lactate? based. So, taking it back tomorrow.

My question is how often do you top up your sealant and how much do you put in when you top up? How do you know how much to top up unless you take tyre off?

And what sealants do people use/recommend?

I use stans and I have the small muc off sealent packages for my mtb.
    I top them up every 3-4 months with the recommended amount on the bottle.
    It is usually if they are not holding pressure after 4-5 days Or if I've seen it squirt out through a hole. 

I top mine through the valve. With the valve out!!
    Hope this helps
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

What's up with gator skins? I've had them on mine since about Feb over 2000km on them and zero punctures. 
    Frightening in the wet. The compound they use is hard, but not grippy. Had three offs commuting in London in the wet on them - all on grids or paint - until I read up on it and found loads of others have the same issue - they're notorious for it (hence the skaterskins nickname). They were durable - but not worth the risk (and Armadillos are just as tough without the slipper unless) 
  • Options
    I've never had luck with Gatorskins.  Always had punctures early on with them.  I run Armadillos on the winter bike and my commute bike as I don't want punctures when it's dark and/or pissing down with rain.  Happy with Armadillos, but if I'm travelling distance their watt sucking rolling would annoy me before I started:  Hence if I do a longer ride in winter I'll usually be on a different tyre.

I'll give the 4 Seasons a go.  I used to use Krylions years ago and loved them in winter, I think the 4 Seasons replaced them.  Thanks Clem.
  • Options
    SE_7EVEN said:

One morning last week my back tyre was completely deflated. Not used for maybe 4 or 5 days. Pumped it back up and it seemed to hold the pressure. Could see sealant over the sides of the tyre and rim. Obviously I need to top up the sealant. Went to bike shop today where I bought bike to establish what sealant they used and the guy said probably Stans but he had none and suggested the only sealant he had which was finish line. He poo poo’ed suggestion you should not mix different types of sealant. Got home after spending £15 on 8oz bottle of finish line and whilst looking for videos on how to top up sealant stumbled across video comparing performance of 6 different sealants, including the finish line product, and discovered that not only was the finish line sealant the worst performing but it was different to all other sealants in that it is the only one not lactate? based. So, taking it back tomorrow.

My question is how often do you top up your sealant and how much do you put in when you top up? How do you know how much to top up unless you take tyre off?

It is usually if they are not holding pressure after 4-5 days Or if I've seen it squirt out through a hole. 

Hope this helps
    I do similarly to SE 7

I am MTB nut. I use Stans , I top up using the syringe method by taking the internal section of the Presta valve out using a simple tool. I ride about 60 miles a week , three times a week and top up every three to four months. When I inflate after adding sealant I inflate to 50psi , way over what I normally would do to ensure that the bead is sitting correctly on the rim. I then ride for ten minutes on the rode and let the air out as I generally ride off road with 18-20 psi.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Frightening in the wet. The compound they use is hard, but not grippy. Had three offs commuting in London in the wet on them - all on grids or paint - until I read up on it and found loads of others have the same issue - they're notorious for it (hence the skaterskins nickname). They were durable - but not worth the risk (and Armadillos are just as tough without the slipper unless) 
    Interesting. I've never had an off with them in that time though expect this will be the jinx for that. I'll probably be due some new ones soon, may consider some of the others but given I've had zero issues would seem silly to change now. 
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    SE_7EVEN said:

Hope this helps
    I do similarly to SE 7

I am MTB nut. I use Stans , I top up using the syringe method by taking the internal section of the Presta valve out using a simple tool. I ride about 60 miles a week , three times a week and top up every three to four months. When I inflate after adding sealant I inflate to 50psi , way over what I normally would do to ensure that the bead is sitting correctly on the rim. I then ride for ten minutes on the rode and let the air out as I generally ride off road with 18-20 psi.
    Holyjoe
    I know we are dicing with death discussing the darkside (MTB) on this thread, 😂😂😂😂
    Where do you ride?
    I usually head over to Leith Hill or bredgebury forest and do a few local routes  near jcn 6 of m25
  • Options
    Christ Almighty. Don't know if anyone was watching the women's World TT earlier. Chloe Dygert's crash was pretty brutal. Apparently, she's conscious and talking... Which is good news, but from the look of the photo I've just seen, I'd say it isn't good. Do yourselves a favour - don't Google it 😳
  • Options
    What happened? Bike looked like it was wobbling and had turned to jelly.
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    What happened? Bike looked like it was wobbling and had turned to jelly.
    Can't tell - she definitely came into the corner too hot. Might have grabbed front brake without rear - looks like her left hand was still on the skis. Trying to correct that and only using front brake will cause that wobble - I've been there on the road bike on a descent, but much easier to save it than on a TT bike. Could also have rolled her front tub, but generally you'd see the tyre depart from the rim pretty clearly. She's a ridiculously powerful rider - like a bull in a china shop. I think her athletic talent might have overshadowed her bike handling there 😢
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Can someone help me? I’ve got the Triban RC520 and it can take up to 36mm tyres. I want some that are all rounders, good on and off road. 

• Options
    @SE_7EVEN as well as riding my road bikes (I've got a couple of BMXs too, as bloomin love bikes), I bought a Santa Cruz Tall Boy at the beginning of the year and have been hitting Bedgebury on a near weekly basis...learning the lines etc..  Had my first proper 'off' there a few weeks back when I took the hairpin on 'Turkey' too fast and shot off the top and into a tree, but no lasting damage to me or the bike... There's some good tracks through Joydens and down at Bluebell Hill near Rochester too. Always happy to talk about the 'dark side' ! Safe riding.
  • Options
    Finished my first bike pack trip yesterday. London to Cromer via Cambridge and Kings Lynn. Great fun on my own. Lots of headspace.

Wasn't happy with the saddle bag so have flogged it on eBay and ordered the Top Bag Tailfin set up.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Finished my first bike pack trip yesterday. London to Cromer via Cambridge and Kings Lynn. Great fun on my own. Lots of headspace.

Wasn't happy with the saddle bag so have flogged it on eBay and ordered the Top Bag Tailfin set up.
    Headspace is why I ride a bike in the first place. Nothing like a solid 12-14 hours alone on the road with just your thoughts and a bit of music.
  • Options

Headspace is why I ride a bike in the first place. Nothing like a solid 12-14 hours alone on the road with just your thoughts and a bit of music.
    Yep, was rotating between music and podcasts the whole time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2020
    SE_7EVEN said:
    holyjo said:
    SE_7EVEN said:

Hope this helps
    I do similarly to SE 7

Holyjoe
    I know we are dicing with death discussing the darkside (MTB) on this thread, 😂😂😂😂
    Where do you ride?
    I usually head over to Leith Hill or bredgebury forest and do a few local routes  near jcn 6 of m25
    In terms of locally I  ride ..........

Joydens 
    Blue Bell Hill
    North Downs
    Cobham / Shorne............ and various iterations thereof. I tend to ride about 30 miles on a Sunday and have an off road route to Romford once I get through the tunnel for my commute

Ive ridden Surrey Hills , Bedgebury , Swinley and down some endurance rides like the off road Coast to Coast. Last year I frode Glasgow to Inverness off road 210 miles in three days :-)

• Options
    @holyjo are you on the CL strava club, so I can nick some of your routes??
  • Options
    @holyjo are you on the CL strava club, so I can nick some of your routes??
    holyjo451 on Strava ...... nick anything you like :-)
  • Options
    Christ Almighty. Don't know if anyone was watching the women's World TT earlier. Chloe Dygert's crash was pretty brutal. Apparently, she's conscious and talking... Which is good news, but from the look of the photo I've just seen, I'd say it isn't good. Do yourselves a favour - don't Google it 😳
    I took that as a challenge and, omg that is bad

saying today that they expect a full recovery which would be a small miracle considering the state of her yesterday
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    Can someone help me? I’ve got the Triban RC520 and it can take up to 36mm tyres. I want some that are all rounders, good on and off road. 

Schwalbe mondial would be fine for that.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    rina said:
    I took that as a challenge and, omg that is bad

saying today that they expect a full recovery which would be a small miracle considering the state of her yesterday
    Looks like, if they're saying that, the ligament never got severed. They wouldn't make a prognosis of certainty of full recovery if it had sliced through the ACL or PCL. Dreadful injury though, the only time I've seen something like that was after a shark has had a go at someone. Looks like the top of the armco literally sliced it open to the depth of the bone 😳😳😳
  • Options
    @SE_7EVEN as well as riding my road bikes (I've got a couple of BMXs too, as bloomin love bikes), I bought a Santa Cruz Tall Boy at the beginning of the year and have been hitting Bedgebury on a near weekly basis...learning the lines etc..  Had my first proper 'off' there a few weeks back when I took the hairpin on 'Turkey' too fast and shot off the top and into a tree, but no lasting damage to me or the bike... There's some good tracks through Joydens and down at Bluebell Hill near Rochester too. Always happy to talk about the 'dark side' ! Safe riding.
    Charlie 
    V nice bike there, hope it wasn't damag
  • Options
    SE_7EVEN said:
    Charlie 
    V nice bike there, hope it wasn't damaged to much when you came off 😉. 
    I haven't been to BForest for a few months, but intended to return. 
    Never knew about joydens wood and bluebell hill. 
    I have a giant trance full sus that I bought for using in tignes. 
    And a titanium lite speed hard tail I use for SE England. 
    What day do u usually get down BForest? 
    Stay safe. 

• Options
    Just been on the newly opened cycle lane between Rotherhite Tunnel round about and Tower Bridge. They have made an excellent job of it. Which is more than can be said about the cycle lane they are working on in Trafalgar Road and Woolwich road!

Hope they start work on the Creek Road to Surrey Quays cycle lane soon.
  • Options
    @SE_7EVEN ... Bike is fine thanks - handlebars knocked askew but that was it...most damage was to my shoulder and ego..  I tend not to work on Fridays, so aim to get down there after school run...so 9.15ish for a couple of laps..  Not been for a least 3 weeks now, so hoping to get down this week...will post on here if I am and maybe see you down there.