Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    Leroy - No she’s NW 
  • Options
    Just booked the Boxing Day Clarion ride to Tilbury Fort from Bermondsey.
    Looking forward to that.
  • Options
    Leroy - No she’s NW 
    Ah - not who I thought it might be then
  • Options
    Happy New Year all.

I have slowly been coming to the realisation that I am now a former cyclist, and although I've only used it 10 times max, this Kickr cycle trainer and I are never going to hit it off together. 

Anyone wishing to take it off my hands, for a £20 or so contribution to the Upbeats, and prepared to come to Bickley to get it when safe to do so, please let me know via PM.

• Options
    JVL said:
    Happy New Year all.

I have slowly been coming to the realisation that I am now a former cyclist, and although I've only used it 10 times max, this Kickr cycle trainer and I are never going to hit it off together. 

Anyone wishing to take it off my hands, for a £20 or so contribution to the Upbeats, and prepared to come to Bickley to get it when safe to do so, please let me know via PM.

Is this still available? I'll definitely have it. Let me know.
  • Options
    I was going to pump up my tyre when the valve just exploded out. 
    Can it be screwed back in or do I have to replace the inner tube? 
    See pictures below of what popped out.

• Options
    Yep, often happens with Specialized and Conti tubes in particular.

You need to screw it back into the stem and then use a little adapter (can find them on most multi tools) that grips the collar of the valve stem in place to turn it and make it snug.

Has happened to me numerous times on the road - because I use a screw on mini pump which tends to put a bit of manners in the valve when it grips it, and I always f*#%ing forget in my haste to get pumped up and away 😒
  • Options
    @JVL that is incredibly (like off the charts) generous of you, if for what ever reason @Clem_Snide can't have it, please may I be first reserve for the Kickr. 

@iainment , what Mr Ambrose said, I'll just add that its handy to have the dedicated tool for valve cores (the bit which has screwed out), which is the park tool VC-1. If you're careful a pair of needle nose pliers will also do the trick. Its also one of the main reason's I never put the dust cap on either. 
  • Options
    Thanks lads. 

I’ll definitely ditch the dust caps in future.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Was really struggling with Zwift when in my flat which was infuriating because I spent a fortune on the tacx2 neo, getting it out and putting it back was such a hassle, but the main thing was that no matter how much wind you could generate from fans it just wasn't good enough to keep you cool. 

Largely because my flat in the summer was about 25 degrees. 

In a garage now (8 degrees today, but has been zero), with a microfibre towel, it's a complete game changer, I don't think I'll bother going on the road until spring now. 

Really enjoying the Zwift training programmes with ERG mode, basically a perfect training tool. 

Doing an FTP booster programme at the moment. Hoping to get to 200w as my FTP. With an end goal of getting to 3w/kg in the near future (good training plus weight loss combined).

In short, I really like Zwift and I really like the trainers.

Also as a side note, @Leroy Ambrose is a fucking beast on there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah I held off purchasing a trainer for a bit as I wondered how much I'd actually use it/Zwift. I love it as well. My next goal is to do the Alpe in under an hour. First attempt was 1:18, 1:09 on my second so I'm heading in the right direction.
  • Options
    @Huskaris I've never got on with Zwift...don't know why...maybe 'cos I'm old now and don't really want to 'race'...but anyway, I have my turbo set up in my kitchen and (am trying) to use it every other day...and just wanted to say that if you feel the need to mix it up a bit, I've found Trainer Road very good for training programmes in the past (altho very boring to look at, as you're just following a power line) and am currently using FulGaz, which is cycling around the world whilst watching 4k videos of the road you're cycling up...  All the major climbs are on there, as well as loads you've never heard of..  It has training programmes built in too, but not as comprehensive as Zwift or TR...but it's great....my mates and I did a virtual tour of the Alps last year (we had 12 days to cycle up 10 mountains)... I've been cycling in the Marin headlands of San Francisco and along the Pacific Coast Highway over the last few days... A great way to travel and cycle when you're not meant to leave your house.
  • Options
    Covid has really killed my energy. Been about 4 weeks since I had any energy or motivation to even indoor cycle. 

Got the Cateye 7 and set it up on my back wheel on the turbo to try and give myself some vague distance goals for when I feel up to it. Find time or kcal goals not very motivating so hoping distance will give me something to work towards.  
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    @Huskaris I've never got on with Zwift...don't know why...maybe 'cos I'm old now and don't really want to 'race'...but anyway, I have my turbo set up in my kitchen and (am trying) to use it every other day...and just wanted to say that if you feel the need to mix it up a bit, I've found Trainer Road very good for training programmes in the past (altho very boring to look at, as you're just following a power line) and am currently using FulGaz, which is cycling around the world whilst watching 4k videos of the road you're cycling up...  All the major climbs are on there, as well as loads you've never heard of..  It has training programmes built in too, but not as comprehensive as Zwift or TR...but it's great....my mates and I did a virtual tour of the Alps last year (we had 12 days to cycle up 10 mountains)... I've been cycling in the Marin headlands of San Francisco and along the Pacific Coast Highway over the last few days... A great way to travel and cycle when you're not meant to leave your house.
    Thanks for that, sounds fascinating and really exciting!

On the race thing on Zwift, now that I know that I am on a "programme" that effectively caps my power (if I start going harder, my machine just lowers the resistance) it means that the humiliation and fury of being overtaken has disappeared. I am on day 4 and I already feel a lot fitter than I was. 

Did London to Brighton in August and the hills nearly killed me. Especially Ditchling Beacon! I am rapid on the flats but need to shed some weight for the uphills!

My aim is to eventually cycle from London to the south of France. 
  • Options
    Been doing a bit on zwift I can only do about an hour as its like watching Charlton pass it across the back four.  
    The chase events, and British cycling events are good, but I,m in group D (FTP) 1 to 2.4 w/kg and im usually in the bottom third, but the top 2 thirds are well over 2.4 w/kg splitters.
  • Options
    So, I don’t cycle virtually. Mainly because if I did I’d never get out on the road!
    Currently just cycling to the shops and for daily exercise, lucky to do more than 50 miles pw.But enjoying it. Aiming to increase this gradually up to 100miles+ pw.
  • Options

iainment said:
    So, I don’t cycle virtually. Mainly because if I did I’d never get out on the road!
    Currently just cycling to the shops and for daily exercise, lucky to do more than 50 miles pw.But enjoying it. Aiming to increase this gradually up to 100miles+ pw.
    I go virtually  when the roads are freezing,  its pissing down, or I just fancy a hours spin.
    50 miles is a fair few miles a week, and a good intro for the 100.
    If you convert to Km your only 16km short of a 100km.
  • Options
    SE_7EVEN said:

iainment said:
    I go virtually  when the roads are freezing,  its pissing down, or I just fancy a hours spin.
    50 miles is a fair few miles a week, and a good intro for the 100.
    If you convert to Km your only 16km short of a 100km.
    That's cheating! 
  • Options
    And your 20km short! 50 miles a week is decent, bit more than I'm managing but I can only get out once a week at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sufferfest for me in the winter.
  • Options
    I'm just trying to get back in to cycling after months off...and suffered the ignominy of being the slowest rider (out of 803 on Strava who'd doen the ride) up one of the Marin headlands climbs on Sunday morning...  That is not a record I wish to keep, so will be aiming to get on my (indoor) bike more in the coming weeks in order to beat that time (if nothing else...).
  • Options
    Dunno if anyone had seen/would be interested in this: https://cact.org.uk/racetheeuros
  • Options
    Other than Bikesoup, fleabay and Gumtree is there any other options for second hand bikes out there?
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    Other than Bikesoup, fleabay and Gumtree is there any other options for second hand bikes out there?
    Guarantee you 90% of the bikes on Gumtree are nicked. EBay the percentage is smaller... But still a large amount have been stolen from some poor fucker's shed :rage:

Facebook marketplace has a few good buy/sell groups - search road bike sales or time trial sales. Generally get a better idea of whether the bike is nicked on those sites. Never used Bikesoup so can't comment on that. 
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    Dunno if anyone had seen/would be interested in this: https://cact.org.uk/racetheeuros
    Link doesn’t work for me. What is it? What do you have to do?
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    Guarantee you 90% of the bikes on Gumtree are nicked. EBay the percentage is smaller... But still a large amount have been stolen from some poor fucker's shed :rage:

Facebook marketplace has a few good buy/sell groups - search road bike sales or time trial sales. Generally get a better idea of whether the bike is nicked on those sites. Never used Bikesoup so can't comment on that. 
    Cheers, saw one on Gumtree earlier that I liked the look of had a rusty chain and my first thought was that it must by nicked.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    EastStand said:
    Link doesn’t work for me. What is it? What do you have to do?
    Weird, looks like they’ve taken it off their site. It was this.
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    Some LBS offer second hand bikes for sale that they will have serviced etc and won't have been stolen @buckshee

If you're based in SE LDN three shops that I know of who do this are - 

Coney Hall Cycle Works - Near West Wickham - Speak to Eric, he's a loveable eccentric Dutchman who loves all things cycling. All the bikes they sell are 2nd hand. 

Lindo2Wheels - Sydenham - Run by Adrian who is a friendly larger than life character. I'd call before you visit though as I spoke to him today and he mentioned his stock of 2nd hand bikes was low. All the bikes they sell are 2nd hand. 

Deens Garage - Beckenham - Sell new and old bikes, again I'd call in first to check if they have anything 2nd hand. 

Hope this helps :smile:
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    Some LBS offer second hand bikes for sale that they will have serviced etc and won't have been stolen @buckshee

If you're based in SE LDN three shops that I know of who do this are - 

Coney Hall Cycle Works - Near West Wickham - Speak to Eric, he's a loveable eccentric Dutchman who loves all things cycling. All the bikes they sell are 2nd hand. 

Lindo2Wheels - Sydenham - Run by Adrian who is a friendly larger than life character. I'd call before you visit though as I spoke to him today and he mentioned his stock of 2nd hand bikes was low. All the bikes they sell are 2nd hand. 

Deens Garage - Beckenham - Sell new and old bikes, again I'd call in first to check if they have anything 2nd hand. 

Hope this helps :smile:
    Cheers, I’m in Greenhithe so these are a bit out of my way at the moment. Hopefully things will ease a bit soon and I can pay them a visit.